• Advertisement

Best and Worst of Entertainment 2014 Edition

Clappy

Also, what are your thoughts on "Chandelier?"

What I'm about to say are the same sentiments I feel about Habits. It's ok. A bit over dramatic for my taste and while it is sung great, it's just too boring for me to hold my interest.

Sadly enough, I've heard better versions of this song too. I've never been that big a fan of Sia's voice to be honest. She sounds way too similar to Rihanna vocal standing wise.

Nice list, Claps! "White Walls" was pretty close to making my Top 10, but I figured I had enough Macklemore on 2013's list. Also, interesting #1 pick. I can definitely see your points as to why your song deserves to be #1, but it just didn't do it for me upon retrospect. I actually thought "Sing" was a stronger song, but I also didn't know the backstory behind "Don't". Ed Sheeran definitely has potential to become a pop superstar akin to Justin Timberlake, but he needs a little more time for me to warm up to his new style.

(Also I know it didn't make the year-end, but what are your thoughts on his newest song?)

• Like 1

Nice list, Claps! "White Walls" was pretty close to making my Top 10, but I figured I had enough Macklemore on 2013's list. Also, interesting #1 pick. I can definitely see your points as to why your song deserves to be #1, but it just didn't do it for me upon retrospect. I actually thought "Sing" was a stronger song, but I also didn't know the backstory behind "Don't". Ed Sheeran definitely has potential to become a pop superstar akin to Justin Timberlake, but he needs a little more time for me to warm up to his new style.

(Also I know it didn't make the year-end, but what are your thoughts on his newest song?)

His newest song is far better than Lego House and A-Team. I like it a lot. Not as much as I like Don't, but definitely shows how much of a vast improvement he made as an artist with Multiply.

But you didn't put White Walls on your list due to too much Macklemore last year? :P

Okay, well... that wasn't really the reason. :P The song's great, but it wasn't quite as impressive as anything in my top 10. It cracked my Top 15, if that means anything.

Other close calls: "Let it Go", "Pompeii", and "Turn Down for What".

Personally, i think the more embarrassing movie influence on my music taste this year was Neighbors making me appreciate Fergie's "London Bridge".  :lori:

That song is still terrible and you should feel bad. :lori:

That song is still terrible and you should feel bad. :lori:

2006 in general was really bad for music. I said in the 2010 countdown a while ago back that it was 2005, but at the very least, I grown to like a couple of the songs on that list. 2006, though...

Ummmm, wasn't Let It Go a song that came out in 2013?

Yes it did, but I base my lists off of Billboard's Year End charts and Let It Go charted on the 2014 one.

I see Ed Sheeran is finally catching on.

GEE, I WONDER WHO COULD'VE PREDICTED THAT.

Nostradominoob.

Does The Interview have a topic? Oh well i'll just leave my thoughts of it here. Overall I thought it was terrible but some parts made me laugh out loud tbh

Dylan did make a topic for it.

Thinking about doing a Top 10 best of animation in 2014, and I should do just that, but it's going to be a pain to get to Season 3 of Legend of Korra. (Well, see you guys in February, I guess. :P)

2006 in general was really bad for music. I said in the 2010 countdown a while ago back that it was 2005, but at the very least, I grown to like a couple of the songs on that list. 2006, though...

Apparently, 2006 was the year I first got into pop music.

Because I had so much time on my hands today, I'm just going to do my 11 least favorite right now.

11 Worst Hit Songs of 2014 - Well, 2014 was way worse than 2013 at its worst. I would say a certain percentage of the songs on the list sucked, but I literally have only listened to about 50% of the year-end list. Why? One, because over the year I gained MUCH more interests in the classics. The main 3 artists that I appreciated way more than ever this year are Pink Floyd, Genesis and Queen. So yeah, I think it's safe to say I'm grateful for discovering some of the "older" stuff. Luckily, I listened to enough 2014 music to make a top and bottom 11.

11. Idina Menzel - Let it Go Honestly, I don't completely dislike the song, but it's just the overplay, the useless covers, and my niece's obsession with it that drives my ears insane every time I listen to it now.

10. 5 Seconds of Summer - She Looks So Perfect You know, after One Direction came (a boy band that isn't terrible per se), the ripple effect happened just like it happened in the late 90s. I hate it. The main group that took advantage of this is 5 Seconds of Summer, and this is the only song I heard from them. Am I glad? Fuck yeah. I may not have the best sense of processed music, but Jesus Christ.

9. Miley Cyrus - Adore You You think Wrecking Ball was a sad attempt at showing a little bit of emotion? This song tries even less. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if this song is even trying to be emotional. It's so dull. Even We Can't Stop, no matter how terrible it is, didn't numb my eardrums from how dull it is.

8. A Great Big World feat. Christina Aguilera - Say Something I like softer songs. I like a lot of songs that are considered "soft," but this... this is too soft. I have no words because this song deserves no words. It's so fucking boring.

7. Calvin Harris - Summer Boring. Boring. Let's move on.

6. Ariana Grande feat. Zedd - Break Free Honestly, if this was from Katy Perry and David Guetta or something, it wouldn't be this high, but the fact that it comes from two artists I highly respect... kinda breaks my heart to be honest.

5. Magic! - Rude Another song that would've been lower, but for a different reason. It would be lower if it didn't rape my ears every time I turn on my local pop station. The lyrics just... ugh.

4. Jason Derulo feat. Snoop Dogg - Wiggle Sometimes, I feel Snoop should have stayed as a lion.

3. Katy Perry feat. Juicy J - Dark Horse Wow, I can't believe I miss when Katy was fun and bubble-gummy. This is just unbelievable of her. Katy can try way harder to be all happy, so when she doesn't try at all and gives herself a terrible trap sound, that's too annoying.

2. Bobby Shmurda - Hot Boy I refuse to even go knee deep into the lyrics. This song is still in the top ten, but it is the most trashy, useless, stupid rap song of the year that I've heard. Once again, I've heard a small percentage of rap songs this year. I think that this is the worst rap song of the ye- 1. Kid Ink feat. Chris Brown - Show Me I have no words.

I'll post the best ones tomorrow.

By any chance have you heard the original summer not the radio played remix

It's a lot slower and I know Clappy likes it more

Well, time to finish this off with my 11 fave songs of 2014.

11. Paramore - Ain't it Fun Yes Hayley Williams, this is very fun. Sometimes, when I'm done listening to whatever bullshit I like, I just listen to stuff like this. Still Into You was not a bad song by any stretch, but this song is better than Still Into You by a mile simply because it just sounds better.

10. Sam Smith - Stay With Me Sam Smith is a great singer, and I disagree with anyone who says his voice sucks. This song is just so refreshing and genuine in a year which was populated almost entirely by pop females. Iggy Azalea, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Meghan Trainor, Katy Perry, Jessie J etc. While lots of other stuff was there, the stuff topping the charts for the most part was that, so stuff like Stay With Me is refreshing, even if it's not an extremely excellent song.

9. Martin Garrix - Animals Trust me, this is not the only song on here the majority will disagree with. I'm sorry, I really shouldn't like this song, but it seems impressively unique compared to stuff that it's grouped with. Maybe I'm talking out of my ass, so I'm just gonna say I like listening to it. No more, no less.

8. Nico and Vinz - Am I Wrong This is undoubtedly one of the most unique songs to hit the top ten this year, if not the past few years. When it comes to music, I usually like a song after growing into it, but with this song, it was love at first sight. The thing that keeps it from being higher is that both Nico and Vinz don't have the most amazing singing voices.

7. Maroon 5 - Maps I TOLD YOU THIS LIST WILL BE VERY DISAGREEABLE! Okay, honestly, I'll say right now that the lyrical content is far from the best. You know what brings it so high though? It is arguably one of the catchiest songs of the year. It is so unbelievably fun to sing the chorus, and no matter how much I make myself remember it's Maroon 5, I can't resist loving this song to death.

6. KONGOS - Come With Me Now Yeah, I don't have much to say about this song. It's lyrics are meh, but it's just as catchy if not catchier than Maps. It's just another song that's so fun to sing along to, and the song itself feels powerful.

5. Michael Jackson feat. Justin Timberlake - Love Never Felt So Good It's pretty crazy to think that a person who died 5 years ago is still releasing hit songs. I'm not very much a Michael Jackson fan, but I love quite a few songs from him. It's awesome that this happened, and it's just a happy song that's perfect to dance to, especially if you're MJ.

4. Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea - Problem Out of all the pop girl songs that spread throughout this year like a virus, this is the best one. I'll admit that there is a small bias regarding the saxophone part, but that's not the only part I love. Grande's singing is amazing, Azalea's rapping is not half bad, and the beat is just infectious! Also, there's that creepy yet awesome whisper.

3. The Neighbourhood - Sweater Weather You know what, I don't give two shits if this is just another scrawny hipster rock song, it's awesome. The song overall is so amazing, and the slowdown near the end gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it. Yes, the genre overall isn't great, this song is the diamond in the rough.

2. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Schoolboy Q and Hollis - White Walls This song just makes me so happy that it exists. Hey, if you're wearing clothing from a second-hand thrift store, you might as well make up for it with a Cadillac. Every single part of the song is awesome. Macklemore and Schoolboy's rapping is awesome, Ryan Lewis' beat is awesome, Hollis's chorus is awesome, this song is close to perfect. Sadly, one hit song of 2014 I love much, MUCH more. In fact, it's one of my favorite songs of all time.

1. Clean Bandit feat. Jess Glynne - Rather Be Clean Bandit is such a breath of fresh air, I can't put it into words. They took techno music and fancied it up with violins and shit! I thought Zedd was my favorite techno musician until these guys came along and blew me away in all directions. Honestly, if other songs from these guys including Come on Over were hits, they would easily be on the list. This song is one that I fell in love with before the end of my first listen. I am so happy that this song exists.

Have you heard the jesse glynne song rather be

Curious what you think of that. It's worth a listen IMO