• Advertisement

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Amphibia

22 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

While ticket demand is pretty front loaded, TFW won't have a lot of big-budget competition in the coming months. I imagine that, like Avatar and Frozen, it'll stay in the Top 10 until March, and with a $200-$300 head start, it's not inconceivable that with enough people coming back to rewatch it and people who didn't give it a chance at first being drawn in by good reviews and good word-of-mouth. it would eventually surpass Avatar's domestic haul. It definitely has the best chance of any movie released in the past five years.

I agree with the last part for sure.  It stands more of a chance and has a lot going for it.  I would love for it to do so, although I think you are underestimating it's competition in the coming months.  Especially with a Tarantino movie, Michael Bay movie, Ride Along 2, and Kung Fu Panda 3 coming out the next few weeks.  But I'm not going to call any of those huge challenges, but still challenges none the less.

On a non-JCM bet note, I am seeing this when I get home unless I can find a way to see it on my down time from traveling.  Can't wait.

I'm going to see this on Tuesday with my friends because I have no desire to see this on front seat (the time I saw Interstellar in IMAX on front seat was a horrible experience). I wish I'd see this now because everyone has been talking about this movie non-stop. I'm afraid of getting spoiled, heck one scene in the movie was spoiled for me, accidently I saw Teamwork's spoiler part. Oh boy, this is going to be tough 3 days.

• Like 1

On December 19, 2015 at 9:29 PM, terminoob said:

Love love love the new main trio. They're all so cool. Absolutely stoked to see what Rian Johnson does with the next film.

Wished we could see Rey and Poe interact with each other. But still, loved the new trio too.

Edited by kevin_ng2010

Just got finished with seeing the movie (hence why I haven't posted on this topic in a while, didn't want to see any spoilers). And first, I just got to say...awesome, awesome, awesome...did I mention the movie is AWESOME?!!! Because it's SO epic freaking AWESOME!!!! Here I thought that "Star Wars" was just going to do the same old song and dance. Well, Disney completely blew MY expectations out of the water! It was WAY better than the prequel movies! Maybe even Episode IV status on its level of greatness! MAJOR SPOILER; MAJOR SPOILER!!!!

Spoiler

Han Solo: "Thanks for all the memories." 1977-2015

Other than that, everything you would WANT the new "Star Wars" movie to be! If J.J. Abrams can do Episode 7 THIS well, I have no worries about Episode 8 and Episode 9! See you there!

Alright, I finally saw TFA. My plans on seeing it last Thursday fell through, so I had to wait till now.

Spoiler

It was entertaining and defintely a fun time, but it had it's fair share of story issues. The starkiller base felt like a rehash tbh, and the constant switching between finding Luke and trying to blow it up felt jarring honestly. The plot felt kind of unfocused at times. R2-D2 suddenly waking up and having the missing piece to find Luke wasn't explained, as well as when Chewbacca suddenly flew in with the Millenium Falcon. They also should've spent some more time with Poe returning, like they needed some exposition there or a scene of him waking up.. I also think Kylo Ren came off more as creepy rather than menacing. I do like that they had him be the son of Han and Leia, it gave them more depth, and revealing that he got seduced by Snoke made him more empathetic. We know he's in the wrong, but we can kinda see where he's coming from. The scene where he killed his dad was something I guessed ahead of time, but it was really shocking when he suddenly pulls out his lightsaber and stabs him. Besides that, it was a fun time. I think they had a lot to cut/sacrifice to meet the release date. I also think Rey likes Finn, as she kissed him in the ending... 8/10 Dat ending scene was amazing btw. Can't wait to see Episode VIII.

Edited by Eggnog

15 hours ago, Eggnog said:

Alright, I finally saw TFA. My plans on seeing it last Thursday fell through, so I had to wait till now.

Reveal hidden contents

It was entertaining and defintely a fun time, but it had it's fair share of story issues. The starkiller base felt like a rehash tbh, and the constant switching between finding Luke and trying to blow it up felt jarring honestly. The plot felt kind of unfocused at times. R2-D2 suddenly waking up and having the missing piece to find Luke wasn't explained, as well as when Chewbacca suddenly flew in with the Millenium Falcon. They also should've spent some more time with Poe returning, like they needed some exposition there or a scene of him waking up.. I also think Kylo Ren came off more as creepy rather than menacing. I do like that they had him be the son of Han and Leia, it gave them more depth, and revealing that he got seduced by Snoke made him more empathetic. We know he's in the wrong, but we can kinda see where he's coming from. The scene where he killed his dad was something I guessed ahead of time, but it was really shocking when he suddenly pulls out his lightsaber and stabs him. Besides that, it was a fun time. I think they had a lot to cut/sacrifice to meet the release date. I also think Rey likes Finn, as she kissed him in the ending... 8/10 Dat ending scene was amazing btw. Can't wait to see Episode VIII.

Spoiler

I agree that at times it felt like a reusing some stuff from New Hope, that's my main complaint about the movie (I really hope they don't reuse death star again because it just felt so uninspiring for the movie) but other things you said kind of feels nit-picky. The movie didn't need to explain everything like how R2D2 woke up, they are saving unanswered stuff in next movies (in spoiler review, Chris Stuckmann said is that Luke may have shut down R2D2, so no one can find Lukr until with force, he have decided to turn R2D2 on at the end of the movie for the right time. Kind of agree that Poe's comeback was weird but it wasn't a major flaw to be bothersome. As for Kylo, i didn't find him to be that creepy at all, he felt a bit creepy but for the most part, he was a menacing and really pissed off villain and I liked about him. Other complaints you said didn't bother me much and I can let slide.

As you can all see, I've seen the movie and I really loved it. It wasn't perfect or anything, I have a bit of major complaint (that is in the spoiler tag, so don't worry) but It did almost everything right. New characters were so damn likeable and had enough screen time to shine (well, not all of them but next movies are going to happen, so I hope overlookef onee can get focused there). Old characters had a porpuse to exist the movie, instead of being there for fan service.

Spoiler

Except for Luke at the end of the movie but I can let it slide because he didn't need to be here for most part and half of the movie focused on findind him, so it would be weird to see where he is and he's gonna play a huge role in next two movies, so? 

and they were also developed in the film. The movie's action scenes were exciting and memorable. Visual effects made me happy because they looked so breath taking since we now have the technology to create marvelous special effects.  Even tho, it was produced by Disney, it didn't feel like a kids movie, it was dark, violent and heartbreaking, so that's a plus. What I also loved about the movie was it's humor. Even tho, it's a space opera, the humor they put in weren't out of place, they can at the right time and place, It had a lot of witty dialogue, the most memorable was the one scene between Finn and Han Solo. Finally, I loved the twists in the movie; they were just unexpected and used very well.

Overall, I had a blast with this one. It captured the spirit of original trilogy and as a movie itself; it was a well-written one and one of the best movies of this year. I have a few complaints here and there but they aren't big enough to bother me much. Gonna give it an "A+", it's a very generous rating, I know but that doesn't mean every A+ grade movies are perfect.

EDIT: I thought I put spoiler tags but I realized I hadn't. I've just fixed it, hopefully no one saw my spoiler parts before seeing the movie.

Edited by Jolly Doctor
  • Like 1

Oh I wasn't saying the movie was bad. overall it was entertaining throughout, but it had a few plot issues honestly. I think Kylo came off more as a guy with serious anger issues than someone to be afraid of.

Edited by Eggnog

1 hour ago, Eggnog said:

Oh I wasn't saying the movie was bad. overall it was entertaining throughout, but it had a few plot issues honestly. I think Kylo came off more as a guy with serious anger issues than someone to be afraid of. I think he's bipolar. :P

He's not bipolar. 

Spoiler

They straight-up say in the movie that he's afraid of not being like Darth Vader. Just because he's unsure of himself doesn't make him bipolar. We're not supposed to be afraid of him right off the bat because then that's just rehashing every single Star Wars villain up until this point and then that'd just be another thing people would be complaining about. He was beaten at the end of the movie by two people who had no training in lightsaber fighting or the force. There's no way we were ever supposed to be afraid of him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terminoob said:

He's not bipolar. 

Reveal hidden contents

They straight-up say in the movie that he's afraid of not being like Darth Vader. Just because he's unsure of himself doesn't make him bipolar. We're not supposed to be afraid of him right off the bat because then that's just rehashing every single Star Wars villain up until this point and then that'd just be another thing people would be complaining about. He was beaten at the end of the movie by two people who had no training in lightsaber fighting or the force. There's no way we were ever supposed to be afraid of him.

Trust me, I know that. When he confronted Han, it became clear he was conflicted personally. I was more of joking when I said that,and referring to when he'd flip out occasionally (like when he tore up that wall with his lightsaber and forcechoked Poe)

I saw this in theaters tonight and thought it was really good. Miles and bounds better than the prequels. I actually didn't have any issues with the "rehashing", that's a common element in franchises that move on to another generation to reintroduce similar elements from the older stuff. It's to get the veterans back into the jig, how I see it.

My biggest disappointment was that I couldn't find a good time to get out of my seat to refill my refreshments and go to the bathroom during the movie. It was just too entertaining.

• Like 1