• Advertisement

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Amphibia

4 hours ago, Holiday Moon Princess said:

I saw this in theaters tonight and thought it was really good. Miles and bounds better than the prequels. I actually didn't have any issues with the "rehashing", that's a common element in franchises that move on to another generation to reintroduce similar elements from the older stuff. It's to get the veterans back into the jig, how I see it.

My biggest disappointment was that I couldn't find a good time to get out of my seat to refill my refreshments and go to the bathroom during the movie. It was just too entertaining.

So you couldn't use the break time?

On December 19, 2015 at 9:29 PM, terminoob said:

Love love love the new main trio. They're all so cool. Absolutely stoked to see what Rian Johnson does with the next film.

Still haven't seen The Force Awakens yet, but this.

I never doubted this being not good because of Abrams involvement.  But Rian Johnston is such a criminally underrated director and I heavily anticipate to see what he does for the Star Wars universe.

Finally saw this.  About damn time.

Spoiler

It was pretty good.  I really really liked the new main characters.  Especially Rey and Poe.  Although, I hope Poe becomes far more developed in the sequels because I really want to see more of him since I really liked what I saw.  Plus Oscar Isaac is great and seeing him become a big star in the coming years is a joy.  Rey, as you can see in previous pages, I've always thought felt like a big star and she sure came off as that from the get go.  Daisy Ridley is going to be huge in the coming years.  

Kylo Ben Ren's was pretty good as well.  His whole Vader fanboy obsession was entertaining enough and made him a believable antagonist for the protagonists to overcome.  They didn't need to make him full on evil because we've seen it all before with Vader and Ren's idol obsession will follow the same arch.  He came off conflicted killing his own father so of course he's not going to be full evil for the entire trilogy.  They left plenty of room for his redemption.  I just hope his turn happens in a different fashion.   I honestly can't wait for the introduction of Snoke.  Andy Serkis is a damn great motion capture actor that his casting is golden and he was exciting enough with limited screen time that I can't wait for more of him.

Loved the usage of the old characters as well.  We only needed one minute of Luke if he's going to have that crucial of a role for the rest of the trilogy.  We got it.  Leia is a totally believable general with how her character was in the original trilogy.  Makes way too much sense.  Han Solo as the Obi-Wan type also works because of Harrison Ford wanting the character to die in a pretty important fashion.  Having his own son kill him is crucial.

Despite how much I really liked the movie, it has it's flaws.  It dove way too much into the retread pool for A New Hope.  It made sense for the series continuation though, I'll give it that.  So why not dive back into the movie that started it all as a way not only to call back the veterans but bring in the new blood?  Well...just like Kylo Ren as a character, it's one thing to idolize your predecessor.  But it's another thing to be overshadowed by him too.  Just like The Force Awakens is to A New Hope for me.  There is a reason A New Hope is one of my favorite movies of all time and while I like that it calls back to one of my all time favorites, it doesn't help The Force Awakens stand itself on it's own without it.  Also because minor nitpicks.  I don't like how Luke just ran away from his problems.  That's stupid.  Also if you're going to run away, why add in a map to begin with?  It's just asking for you to be found.  That's unbelievably self centered.  Also it's one thing to rehash your idols, but rehashing The Death Star?  Really?  Even the movie points it out and while it's kinda funny, it's also making the writers out to be unoriginal and uninspiring that a super weapon is the ultimate downfall to humanity.  Then there is ghosts.  That's always been a problem with the SWU that has bugged me because they only show up when it's most convenient to them.  Ben was a Jedi and knows of the Force.  Shouldn't he be able to communicate with his grandfather or is that just utter convenience for the Resistance because he's evil?  Btw with how strong the Resistance is, why do they only have twelve TIE fighters that can take out 80-90% of the First Order?  Just a few of some of the minor nitpicks that I have.  However, they don't affect my opinion too much...except for the writing...oh and John Williams score.  I love John Williams but some of the score just felt lazy when it didn't retread previous Star Wars scores.  He can do a lot better and I was disappointed with the new scores he wrote.

Still...pretty damn great movie.  I had a lot of fun and can't wait to see this again when I buy it on Blu-Ray.  9/10 for sure and it's definitely in contention for my Best List in a few weeks.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Happy Festivus said:

Hide contents

It was pretty good.  I really really liked the new main characters.  Especially Rey and Poe.  Although, I hope Poe becomes far more developed in the sequels because I really want to see more of him since I really liked what I saw.  Plus Oscar Isaac is great and seeing him become a big star in the coming years is a joy.  Rey, as you can see in previous pages, I've always thought felt like a big star and she sure came off as that from the get go.  Daisy Ridley is going to be huge in the coming years.  

Kylo Ben Ren's was pretty good as well.  His whole Vader fanboy obsession was entertaining enough and made him a believable antagonist for the protagonists to overcome.  They didn't need to make him full on evil because we've seen it all before with Vader and Ren's idol obsession will follow the same arch.  He came off conflicted killing his own father so of course he's not going to be full evil for the entire trilogy.  They left plenty of room for his redemption.  I just hope his turn happens in a different fashion.   I honestly can't wait for the introduction of Snoke.  Andy Serkis is a damn great motion capture actor that his casting is golden and he was exciting enough with limited screen time that I can't wait for more of him.

Loved the usage of the old characters as well.  We only needed one minute of Luke if he's going to have that crucial of a role for the rest of the trilogy.  We got it.  Leia is a totally believable general with how her character was in the original trilogy.  Makes way too much sense.  Han Solo as the Obi-Wan type also works because of Harrison Ford wanting the character to die in a pretty important fashion.  Having his own son kill him is crucial.

Despite how much I really liked the movie, it has it's flaws.  It dove way too much into the retread pool for A New Hope.  It made sense for the series continuation though, I'll give it that.  So why not dive back into the movie that started it all as a way not only to call back the veterans but bring in the new blood?  Well...just like Kylo Ren as a character, it's one thing to idolize your predecessor.  But it's another thing to be overshadowed by him too.  Just like The Force Awakens is to A New Hope for me.  There is a reason A New Hope is one of my favorite movies of all time and while I like that it calls back to one of my all time favorites, it doesn't help The Force Awakens stand itself on it's own without it.  Also because minor nitpicks.  I don't like how Luke just ran away from his problems.  That's stupid.  Also if you're going to run away, why add in a map to begin with?  It's just asking for you to be found.  That's unbelievably self centered.  Also it's one thing to rehash your idols, but rehashing The Death Star?  Really?  Even the movie points it out and while it's kinda funny, it's also making the writers out to be unoriginal and uninspiring that a super weapon is the ultimate downfall to humanity.  Then there is ghosts.  That's always been a problem with the SWU that has bugged me because they only show up when it's most convenient to them.  Ben was a Jedi and knows of the Force.  Shouldn't he be able to communicate with his grandfather or is that just utter convenience for the Resistance because he's evil?  Btw with how strong the Resistance is, why do they only have twelve TIE fighters that can take out 80-90% of the First Order?  Just a few of some of the minor nitpicks that I have.  However, they don't affect my opinion too much...except for the writing.

Still...pretty damn great movie.  I had a lot of fun and can't wait to see this again when I buy it on Blu-Ray.  9/10 for sure and it's definitely in contention for my Best List in a few weeks.

Now that you mentioned some of these flaws you had with the movie (I'm sure the one problem about the map will be solved in ths next movie tho because not everything is clear yet because that would ruin next movies a little), I can see more of it's flaws than ever before but It doesn't effect my love for the movie, I still loved it and definetly a consideration for my best list as well and no movie is perfect anyway, you can always find some ways to criticize even the best movies, it's all subjective no matter what tho and it's fun to discuss about stuff. This is just a really flawed, yet an amazing experience for me, you and most of fans. I really can't wait for next movies.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Happy Festivus said:

Reveal hidden contents

Despite how much I really liked the movie, it has it's flaws.  It dove way too much into the retread pool for A New Hope.  It made sense for the series continuation though, I'll give it that.  So why not dive back into the movie that started it all as a way not only to call back the veterans but bring in the new blood?  Well...just like Kylo Ren as a character, it's one thing to idolize your predecessor.  But it's another thing to be overshadowed by him too.  Just like The Force Awakens is to A New Hope for me.  There is a reason A New Hope is one of my favorite movies of all time and while I like that it calls back to one of my all time favorites, it doesn't help The Force Awakens stand itself on it's own without it.  Also because minor nitpicks.  I don't like how Luke just ran away from his problems.  That's stupid.  Also if you're going to run away, why add in a map to begin with?  It's just asking for you to be found.  That's unbelievably self centered.  Also it's one thing to rehash your idols, but rehashing The Death Star?  Really?  Even the movie points it out and while it's kinda funny, it's also making the writers out to be unoriginal and uninspiring that a super weapon is the ultimate downfall to humanity.  Then there is ghosts.  That's always been a problem with the SWU that has bugged me because they only show up when it's most convenient to them.  Ben was a Jedi and knows of the Force.  Shouldn't he be able to communicate with his grandfather or is that just utter convenience for the Resistance because he's evil? Btw with how strong the Resistance is, why do they only have twelve TIE fighters that can take out 80-90% of the First Order?  Just a few of some of the minor nitpicks that I have.  However, they don't affect my opinion too much...except for the writing...oh and John Williams score.  I love John Williams but some of the score just felt lazy when it didn't retread previous Star Wars scores.  He can do a lot better and I was disappointed with the new scores he wrote.

Agreed with pretty much everything because it's almost exactly what I said in my Ask thread. However,

Spoiler

concerning Luke and the map.

I don't think there was much else for him to do. Obi Wan ran away after almost murdering Anakin on Mustafar. There wasn't anything Obi Wan could've done to prevent Anakin from falling to the dark side because Palpatine's offer was too alluring. Now we get another situation like this, except instead of Kylo being some random kid that knows how to use a Pod Racer, he's Luke's nephew. We don't know the details of why Kylo fell to the dark side yet, we just know that he loved Darth Vader and wanted to follow in his footsteps. We don't know why he loved Vader, we don't know who could've been in contact with him before or during his training (maybe Snoke haunted his dreams, who knows), we know very little of the situation other than Luke failed. Maybe he was able to contact Anakin's ghost during the training and talk to him and that ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back, or maybe Han was just a shitty father. Regardless of why Kylo went to the dark side, he did it, and in doing so Luke failed his nephew, and then in failing his nephew he failed his sister and his brother-in-law. Assuming there's no way he could've lived with himself if he had done what Obi Wan did to Anakin, his only option was to run away in shame. He couldn't continue training potential Jedi because for all he knew he was gonna fail them too and they'd all fall to the dark side and then there'd be one Jedi and an army of Sith.

The map comes in here. Luke's an all-powerful Jedi. The only one who has any power to do anything. He's going to absolutely know full-stop that one day he's going to be needed, but there's also absolutely no way that he'd stick around until the time came. He failed his whole family - he doesn't know that they won't be pissed off at him (not to mention he'd consistently be a huge target and the New Order would no doubt blow up every planet he stepped foot on, which would endanger literally everyone). The only way he'll know when he's needed is when someone (Rey) finds him and tells him (by giving him the lightsaber). Now, my assumption was that the entire map - save for the piece in R2 - was made by other people that were tracking Luke, and that the piece in R2 was made by Luke to be used whenever the time was right (I'm thinking when Rey stepped into the room, but who knows). Alternatively, I guess Luke could've made the whole map, but that seems weird because then he'd have to have actively scattered it in random places when he could've just given the whole thing to R2 in the first place. I don't think it's self-centered for the one supreme mac daddy Jedi to know he's going to be needed one day and that someone will need to know how to find him. It'd be worse if he didn't leave any way of tracking him because then the Resistance would be up the creek without a paddle. Luke's got full-fledged "you're my only hope" status as far as Rey - and everyone else - is concerned (but mostly Rey).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JCM said:

The Force Awakens now has $680+ million domestically, making it the second-highest grossing movie of all time here. It's set to overtake Avatar's record by the end of Monday.

I've heard it's gonna be released in China next week, so that's just mind blowing.

2 hours ago, JCM said:

Well, it's official. TFW is the highest grossing movie of all time in North America.

Avatar still holds the record for worldwide but It can still change, it's yet to be released in China this friday (from what I've heard)

I'm disappointed by this movie, it's way too similar to New Hope. The movie pretty much took New Hope's major plot points and reworks it into something that's although in some way different, but still feels the same. When I watched it, I expects to see new cool and interesting scenes, only to see recycled New Hope scenes with older Star Wars references in it. When I'm fresh out of the theater, I initially dislike the First Order, because I feel they seems to came out of nowhere, and feels like a carbon copy of the Empire. Later I read the lores about them, and I still kind-of dislike them, again they're too similar to the Empire.

However, there are parts of the enjoys. First is that the Rebel Alliance apparently won and forms the New Republic, I like the stuff about New Republic in the Expanded Universe and I'm glad they're canon now. And then I also like how Finn, despite not a force-sensitive can use the lightsaber. That is interesting and new.

So my point is, I feel that this movie relies too much on nostalgia of the old trilogy. People who have a nostalgia on the trilogy would definitely love this movie, but people who have no special feeling about this movie, or even watched the prequels first before the trilogy like me, would find this movie lacking. But I still, I really likes the entire Star Wars franchise and universe, and I hopes they can brings something new in episode 8.

I also can't wait to see Rogue One. The concept sounds very interesting.

I have to agree that the movie relys too much on New Hope. I talked to some people irl and they said the same thing to me and they felt disappointed with this movie. The more I think, the more I see similarities with New Hope. I think that's the main issue I see in JJ Abrams, he relys on plot points from previous movies and adds a different thing into it, that happened at the end of Star Trek: Into the Darkness. However I'll still say the movie was great because it had intwresting character interactions, the humor was great, the action was exciting and visual effects were breathtaking. I just hope next movies in the trilogy will be different since they are going to be directed by different people.