• Advertisement

Nuggets' Timeline Theory

Young Nug

i have no one to hang out with today so it's back to 2012 nuggets that likes to write about spongebob i guess

So, we all know that the movie takes place at the end of the series and that Help Wanted takes place at the start, but everything else is a bit of a mystery, when you think about it. In some cases, the way the characters act in a Season 6 episode seems to be more childish, or younger, compared to a Season 2 episode. And then I got to thinking- What if they were younger?

So my theory is this: Going by a basis of how the series is written and how childish a character appears, the show goes in an almost reverse order. Key episodes like "Help Wanted", "Plankton!", "Boating School", and "Jellyfishing" all do happen at the start as intended (and this is alright, as SpongeBob is largely the same in these earlier episodes as in the less egregious Season 5-7 episodes), and then, from those pinnacle Season 1 episodes, the show goes in an order like this.

-Key Season 1 Episodes -> Season 6 -> Season 7 -> Season 5 -> Season 9 -> Season 8 -> Season 4 -> Seasons 1-3 -> Movie.

And it makes sense. Episodes that do later get referenced like Bubble Buddy and Suds would take place with the Key Season 1 episodes, and other episodes where SpongeBob is less acquainted with things like Nature Pants also take place during that time. This way, the show works so much better. Character actions make more sense because it's literally watching SpongeBob grow up from being an annoying kid to becoming a young adult, Patrick slowly becoming less stupid, Squidward becoming more tolerant of SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs becoming a cheap old man to a slightly less cheap man and eventually a father figure, and watching Sandy eventually stop using Science altogether. Even Mrs. Puff gets slowly more tolerant of SpongeBob as time goes on, her breaking point being Demolition Doofus, and afterwards she calms down and just accepts that SpongeBob is a terrible driver. It even makes sense in relation to Krusty Love/Summer Job because Mr. Krabs wouldn't remember her from all that time ago, but he did express interest in dating her in Summer Love for a minute, right? ;)

Episodes like License To Milkshake still work because it still takes place after Yours, Mine, And Mine, and even episodes like Clash Of Triton in backwards relation to Neptune's Spatula make sense because perhaps Neptune is more sprivy after reuniting with his son. The numbered Mermaid Man episodes would happen in the correct order, with the crappy, pre-Season 8 non numbered ones happening first (although MM&BB 1 would take place with the key S1 eps. the MM&BB saga would probably need special re-organization to make perfect sense going backwards, but it's possible).

I'm going to try and make an episode-by-episode timeline in the future, because the episodes just make so much more sense this way. What do you guys think? Do you have any theories about how the show is supposed to go chronologically?

• Like 6

I like the whole idea that SpongeBob gradually became more mature as the seasons went on. I've heard something similar to this before, but I like your season chart. Season 1 yeah for the most part was about random and simplistic things, so it could work.

Good except for one flaw. Bubble Buddy is from Season 2. :P

And it makes sense. Episodes that do later get referenced like Bubble Buddy and Suds would take place with the Key Season 1 episodes, and other episodes where SpongeBob is less acquainted with things like Nature Pants also take place during that time.

• Like 1

I pretty much agree with this theory. Then again, there's some episodes where things have a conclusion where you don't imagine anything after the episode, like in Dying for Die or Sandy's Rocket. But putting that aside, I think this is a big possibility, maybe the writers thought about it at some point.

Uh there's a noticeable flaw. In season 4, like in All That Glitters, SpongeBob had no shame, but in episodes like Pranks A Lot, he is embarrassed about some things he wasn't in All That Glitters. Just bringing that up.

Oh and also Christmas Who is a flaw since Patrick knows Christmas in jellyfishing and either way key or not, Christmas Who is in season 2 so yeah this is an error as well. But otherwise I agree.

Krusty Krab Training Video should take place right after Help Wanted, and there are plenty of anomalies like Ugh and Pest of the West that should take place even before Help Wanted. Otherwise, this timeline makes about as much sense as you'd expect given the circumstances. Great job.

Also:

Oh and also Christmas Who is a flaw since Patrick knows Christmas in jellyfishing and either way key or not, Christmas Who is in season 2 so yeah this is an error as well. But otherwise I agree.

Squidward: Could you not stand so close? You're making me claustrophobic.

Patrick: What does claustrophobic mean?

SpongeBob: It means he's afraid of Santa Claus.

-From Wishing You Well

Krusty Krab Training Video should take place right after Help Wanted, and there are plenty of anomalies like Ugh and Pest of the West that should take place even before Help Wanted. Otherwise, this timeline makes about as much sense as you'd expect given the circumstances. Great job.

Pest of the West wouldn't really make sense because in the beginning of the episode they show the Krusty Krab and Sandy who haven't been made known yet. Unless you cut out those parts then sure.

Also:

Squidward: Could you not stand so close? You're making me claustrophobic.

Patrick: What does claustrophobic mean?

SpongeBob: It means he's afraid of Santa Claus.

-From Wishing You Well

Yeah, so holidays can be anywhere before their first mention (unless it's like Fools in April and Valentine's Day)

Eh, the thing with this theory is that the "key" SpongeBob episodes come first, then rapid personality change, then back to their first personalities. That's the only flaw I can see.

I personally find episodes that aren't notoriously bad for OOC-ness like Boating Buddies or Squid's Visit, resemble SpongeBob's character well enough, considering that those episodes do seem jarring even in the midst of Season 6, but maybe that's just me.