• Advertisement

Spongebob's surname

Squidward1066

Am I the only person here who finds it a little weird that SpongeBob's surname is SquarePants? Obviously, the surname suits him because he really is square, but I find it unrealistic because he inherited that surname from his parents and both of his parents are round. He should be SpongeBob RoundPants or something.

To prove my point, take a look at Harold Squarepants:

HaroldSquarePants.png

Now look at Spongebob:

SB+Please.png

See what I mean?

~Squidward1066 :)

• Like 1

At least he didn't inherit Bubblebottom (his mother's maiden name as revealed in Whelk Attack).

If he did, then "To Bubblebottom or Not to Bubblebottom" would be an interesting episode...

I think that Stephen Hillenburg probably chose the name SpongeBob SquarePants based upon SpongeBob himself rather than his family, although this is an issue that should be addressed ... at some point.

Maybe one of his ancestors had square pants, hence why his surname is Squarepants. But overall, I think his surname was intentional.

Hmm, I like the whole ancestor theory. But didn't SpongeBob's earliest ancestor, SpongeGar, only wear a piece of cloth?

I think that Stephen Hillenburg probably chose the name SpongeBob SquarePants based upon SpongeBob himself rather than his family, although this is an issue that should be addressed ... at some point.

Hmm, I like the whole ancestor theory. But didn't SpongeBob's earliest ancestor, SpongeGar, only wear a piece of cloth?

From what I remember in history, everyone having last names didn't come to be until like the 13th century or so when they were needed for large population. So SpongeGar might have not had a last name at all.
  • Like 1

From what I remember in history, everyone having last names didn't come to be until like the 13th century or so when they were needed for large population. So SpongeGar might have not had a last name at all.

I looked it up - SpongeGar's last name is SquarePants, according to the SpongeBob Wikia. That's really weird, given that he doesn't wear any pants at all.