• Advertisement

173b. Demolition Doofus

Young Nug

Plot: Mrs. Puff enters SpongeBob into the Demolition Derby, but SpongeBob's awful driving makes him a superstar.

Call me crazy, but I actually liked this one. Sure, Mrs. Puff was a murderous creep-hole, but it was reasonable. I honestly laughed a good deal at some of the jokes, and Mary Jo's performance as an insane Mrs. Puff was wonderful. Luke Brookshier and Marc Ceccarelli's direction during the derby scene was also pretty astounding. Very nice. It wasn't the funniest though. Kinda reminiscent of a Season 7 episode in some ways.

8.0/10.

Your thoughts?

I hated it, but for different reasons than most people. My problem was that Spongebob got away with it for the entire 11 minutes. I'm on Puff's side. She was nearly killed by Spongebob. So why can't she murder the poriferan that's spent the last 13 years torturing her life? Spongebob, meanwhile, does nothing and miraculously lives. ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR KARMA HOUDINIS! *crickets don't even chirp*.

1/10

It was pretty inventive, but also kinda creepy. I really don't like Mrs.Puff in this one. It's actually pretty eerie to see how blood thirsty she is. And SpongeBob, again, annoyed me at how he won the derby by doing nothing. The humor in this episode was pretty average, though. I'll give that.

5/10

I don't know, I kind of liked this one. Although it would be awkward to make any more Puff/SpongeBob episodes after this... unless her trying to kill him turns out to be a regular thing.

Anyway, very dark, but also very interesting episode.

It's about time Puff snapped, er, "popped". I actually liked this one, mostly from seeing Puff progressively becoming more and more unhinged, which was practically years in the making and I'm actually surprised they only made a Puff Mama episode like this now. You figured she'd go batpoop insane after the first couple injuries and wrongful arrests. But yeah, pretty amusing seeing her finally act on all that pent-up rage and it only took an injury to her inflation gland-whatever to do it. Sure, she may not have gotten any sweet revenge but the show is named after that darn sponge after all, so of course he's gonna come out of it unscathed like he almost always does anyway. And I'm sure this will all be water under the bridge in future boating episodes like every other time Puff gets injured or wrongfully arrested and Puff will be her usually puffy self again since she was miraculously healed at the end. Besides, I think they already did almost all they could do with a murderous Puff in this one episode alone, they'd be beating a bush if they continue going with it in future boating installments.

Overall, 8.5/10

The .5 is for the DEEEAUUUEGH Guy cameos and the Sweet Tooth reference.

• Like 1

It's about time Puff snapped, er, "popped". I actually liked this one, mostly from seeing Puff progressively becoming more and more unhinged, which was practically years in the making and I'm actually surprised they only made a Puff Mama episode like this now. You figured she'd go batpoop insane after the first couple injuries and wrongful arrests. But yeah, pretty amusing seeing her finally act on all that pent-up rage and it only took an injury to her inflation gland-whatever to do it. Sure, she may not have gotten any sweet revenge but the show is named after that darn sponge after all, so of course he's gonna come out of it unscathed like he almost always does anyway. And I'm sure this will all be water under the bridge in future boating episodes like every other time Puff gets injured or wrongfully arrested and Puff will be her usually puffy self again since she was miraculously healed at the end. Besides, I think they already did almost all they could do with a murderous Puff in this one episode alone, they'd be beating a bush if they continue going with it in future boating installments.

Overall, 8.5/10

The .5 is for the DEEEAUUUEGH Guy cameos and the Sweet Tooth reference.

Holy smokes, OMJ watched a post-Season 5 episode? The world must really be ending.. :P

But back on topic, this episode wasn't that bad. Mrs. Puff was a bit insane, but it was pretty funny and I liked the Demolition Derby scenes. 8/10

I don't know, I kind of liked this one. Although it would be awkward to make any more Puff/SpongeBob episodes after this... unless her trying to kill him turns out to be a regular thing.

Anyway, very dark, but also very interesting episode.

Good, I'm not the only one.

This would be one of my 25 favorites if Mrs. Puff wasn't being such a butthole.

8.7/10

I LOVED Mrs. Puff in this episode - it was amazing to see her freaking out!

I also liked the demolition derby scenes. They were action-packed and it was creative how SpongeBob took out the other drivers.

The background music was cool too!

Grade: A

I also liked the demolition derby scenes. They were action-packed and it was creative how SpongeBob took out the other drivers.

Well, now I've seen everything...*shoots head*

The exact opposite of this, sorry.

Did I ever mention how much I hate Demolition Doofus? Because I really do. In fact it's my least favorite episode AND episode moment now. Even more than Nasty Patty. Oh don't get me wrong, the episode besides the two critical character flaws I'll be discussing was pretty decent. I actually liked the demolition derby. But for this I'll be discussing what makes me plainly ticked off about this "episode", if you can call it that.

SpongeBob

SpongeBob was a complete overly oblivious numbskull both in the hospital and on the demolition derby. But for times' sake we'll just talk about his hospital oblivious added to. He didn't seem the least bit upset he ruined Mrs. Puff's appearance forever. The least he could do was look sorrowful or I don't know, help pay for her surgery of a new inflatable sack. Just look at this painful line from SpongeBob after Mrs. Puff finds out she can never inflate again.

"I guess we'll have to start calling you Mrs. Pop. Dahaha!"

TALK ABOUT AN INSENSITIVE JERK.

I realize this is SpongeBob and I know how he acts. This is way too soon to be pulling out the jokes, even if you're trying to ease the mood.....That's it isn't it? SpongeBob is trying to act all cheery and whatnot to be positive around her? His ultimate optimistic spirit? Well can he stop it? Positive spirits are amazing and great in times like these, but he is acting like what happened to her wasn't the slightest of big deals. That's not how you comfort somebody in the hospital. And I should know, I've dealt with two recent family members who've had serious conditions there. You need to be positive AND show deep concern.

You know? This whole episode just like in One Coarse Meal, could have been done if done correctly. Gasp, how? One Coarse Meal in its' case dealt with the topic of suicide. Well SpongeBob in DD was dealing with the topic of a serious medical problems of a close friend. If we got to see SpongeBob go home and deeply feel upset and heck, pulled out a few honest tears I could have felt for BOTH of them. Maybe SpongeBob didn't realize the seriousness of what was happening? Maybe his carefree mind wouldn't allow him?

I'm a lot like SpongeBob where when something bad happens to someone, I feel overwhelmed and I just don't try to think about it. But I really don't think SpongeBob should have been as cheery as he was in the first scene. Remember in Born Again Krabs where Mr. Krabs was rushing off into an emergency room? You could see the sad expression SpongeBob before they wheeled him out. At the time SpongeBob didn't know Mr. Krabs was going to die of food poison. But did he look upset none of the less? Yes he did.

So am I just being bias because I think a person should be both happy (not overally happy where you make the patient uncomfortable) and take action when somebody's in Mrs. Puff's condition at the time? I guess that is for everyone to decide.

Now onto the Mrs. Puff side of the "episode".

Wanna hear something even worse than SpongeBob's case in the episode? SpongeBob was just being his normal oblivious self... But this.. what Puff did was not oblivious behavior the slightest. And is my all time least favorite SB scene including ones like Plankton's bloodlust in the movie and etc.(Which I can kinda ignore Plankton's case since he is a villain and we expect this out of him.)

Oh no it's not in Mr. Krabs' case where he was just hiding a dead body in fear (to his credit, he didn't even mean to supposedly 'kill' him). I sort of understand that comparing to Mrs. Puff because in his case people do get fearful. Am I condemning what Krabs did? Not at all. That's right, there's a new best of the worst and it defeats Nasty Patty! I'm just saying Puff's case was the worst. How? No, she didn't accidentally thought she killed somebody. No this person was still alive. She wanted SpongeBob literally dead and she made her point MANY times that she was literal and super serious. She even had a twisted vision of his tombstone for goodness sake. I don't care how much you say Squidward hates SpongeBob, Squidward has never tried to kill SpongeBob.... well... Dying for Pie doesn't count because like Krabs in Nasty Patty, he didn't mean to hurt somebody. Except for that Squidward took his whole day to spend time with SpongeBob and Krabs just buried- getting off subject so I'll stop. :P

Mrs. Puff even tried to do the job herself towards the end. Talk about a sick out of character appearance. Is anyone reminded of Dennis from the movie here? Although I realize what pure bullshrimp SpongeBob has put her in from time to time like constant jail visits and hospital visits and probably bills galore. I myself would have strangled his little porous head until he squealed in that one scene. But out of my anger, I would NEVER kill him EVEN IF he ruined my appearance forever. I have never been at a low point like Mrs. Puff has, but it doesn't matter what happened. Taking a life is still taking a life. From all the pain and suffering she's been in I do feel the need she should transfer her student SpongeBob to another school perhaps. There is no doubt in that. But she didn't have to do what she did in Demolition Doofus. Maybe it was just her emotions talking and she just snapped? Maybe we can't blame for at all because her psychological being had been tortured to the extreme since the beginning of the series? No matter if she snapped or not, killing is not the answer. This goes against nature.

So both SB/Mrs. Puff are terrible beings in this one. The episode besides that? I actually liked. But these characters make the episode just plain chaotic for me. I even deemed this my least favorite episode and I'm sticking to my guns.

Characters: 1/10

Episode itself? 7.5/10

• Like 1

This episode I think showed that Mrs. Puff is kind of a terrible person. I mean, she wanted to KILL Spongebob and even says it in the episode. I mean yeah I myself have had problems with the yellow square over the years, but that's just unsettling.