• Advertisement

Are We Too Generous on New Spongebob Episodes?

PatBack

After going passed by many old discussion threads, I started noticing a trend around here. Whenever a new episode comes by, ever since 2010, it seems to get at least three good reviews. Think, for example. JJS has never given any episodes a grade below a C-, even the "bad" ones through his eyes.

I mean, it's not bad. We're on a Spongebob forum anyways, where we can be away from most post-movie haters. But are we too generous on episodes lately? For me, yes. The episodes lately have been adored and have barely gotten any bad reviews, even the terrible ones, such as Move it or Lose it or Bumper to Bumper.

After going passed by many old discussion threads, I started noticing a trend around here. Whenever a new episode comes by, ever since 2010, it seems to get at least three good reviews. Think, for example. JJS has never given any episodes a grade below a C-, even the "bad" ones through his eyes.

I mean, it's not bad. We're on a Spongebob forum anyways, where we can be away from most post-movie haters. But are we too generous on episodes lately? For me, yes. The episodes lately have been adored and have barely gotten any bad reviews, even the terrible ones, such as Move it or Lose it or Bumper to Bumper.

What are we supposed to rate new episodes lowly out of nostalgia of the older episodes? I for one think the episodes lately have been better than ever.
  • Like 2

Have you watched all of 8? Just wondering since that's the first time I've heard a Spongebob fan on here say that.

Yes, I've seen them all. There were some good episodes (The vacation eps, Planet of the Jellyfish), but the rest were either unmemorable or just horrible (Restraining Spongebob, Smoothe Jazz, Inspongeiac). I did like the season a little, but the eps weren't that good, really.

Have you watched all of 8? Just wondering since that's the first time I've heard a Spongebob fan on here say that.

People outside of SBC think Season 8 was horrible and even the worst season.

Notice I said "on here", which means "on SBC". As for people outside of the forums, I wouldn't say everyone thinks that, just those who find ALL post-movie seasons garbage.

Guest hilaryfan80

What I hear is that people have lost interest in SpongeBob since the 2004 movie. Honestly, that's exactly what I've been hearing.

I can say, however, that we are definitely predisposed to giving good reviews on episodes because we are SpongeBob fans. I don't think that anyone hates S8 or anything... it's more or less you either watch it or you don't. Even the little kids I observe in an elementary school claim that they either love SpongeBob or they hate it - there isn't truly a "I don't like that season!" thing with the kids.

Notice I said "on here", which means "on SBC". As for people outside of the forums, I wouldn't say everyone thinks that, just those who find ALL post-movie seasons garbage.

Well, many "post-movie" haters outside of SBC think Season 4 was good. Some even think Season 5 was good.

Ehh, to be honest yes, it's usually for me because I want to build up a positive attitude on these episodes and because I am probably excited about all the newer great episodes. Yet still compared to S7 and S6, season 8 and season 9 have had some bouncing back episodes. Season 8 and probably season 7 for me were the seasons who put a stop to the over graphic scenes of the show from season 6. Plus I feel like all these newer plots are all pretty interesting compared to some season 7 episodes where I lost my patience.

I have given episodes below a C- before..maybe it's been in number ratings, but still.

Either way, no. I always try to have positive expectations for episodes, and I don't think that's a bad thing, imo.

Wow, that's quite a generalization, and an incorrect one. People on TV Tropes, YouTube, and even places like Tumblr and Twitter have been noticing the difference in quality in SpongeBob (the majority, that is; of course everything has people who are Negative Nellies).

I don't think we're being too generous. We wouldn't give an episode a good grade if we didn't enjoy it; frankly, Season 8 was wonderful in my opinion, to the point where I feel it was superior to Season 1. Not as great as Season 2/3, but there are definitely episodes from S8 that could've slid right into Season 2/3 without seeing a disruption in quality in the season. Overall, though, no, we're not being too generous.

Wow, that's quite a generalization, and an incorrect one. People on TV Tropes, YouTube, and even places like Tumblr and Twitter have been noticing the difference in quality in SpongeBob (the majority, that is; of course everything has people who are Negative Nellies).

I don't think we're being too generous. We wouldn't give an episode a good grade if we didn't enjoy it; frankly, Season 8 was wonderful in my opinion, to the point where I feel it was superior to Season 1. Not as great as Season 2/3, but there are definitely episodes from S8 that could've slid right into Season 2/3 without seeing a disruption in quality in the season. Overall, though, no, we're not being too generous.

Loads of people on Youtube and tv.com don't think Season 8 was good at all.