• Advertisement

South Park

dragiiin123

The last episode was one of the funniest they have done in a while. Tweek x Craig was my favorite episode of season 19 but I was skeptical that they were gonna do a sequel of this and the premise of Tweek and Craig dealing with issues worried me but they did a great job with this episode. Unlike last episode, the resolution to the plot worked and trump was used better here. Many people worry so much about the fact that Trump pisses off Kim Jong Un that Kim Jong is gonna launch missles and at first this episode was going with message that people should stop worrying so much but I'm glad the message was the fact that we should comfort those who are afraid and concerned. And that's exactly what Craig did at the end of this episode. The second main topic this episode tackled was using phone while driving a car and I'm glad this show decided to tackle with that issue. It concerns me that while I'm on the road, many people don't even think about looking at the road and they just focus on their own phone, so this episode spoke to me. My only complaint with this was that running gag of kids getting hit by cars. First time, it worked as a serious moment and then the episode went a bit too much with this and that was tasteless. Other than that, this episode had tons of funny parts. Cartman was like his old self again, seeing him trying to get attention by fake suicide rumors cracked me up, especially to PC Principal for not giving a crap about Cartman. I'm disappointed that him and Heidi are back together but It makes me happy that Heidi is being more aware of Cartman's horrid behaviour. The rap song by Cartman and the song at the end were all funny, I died when they showed the kids that died by car, Kenny was there. Kenny was also hit by a car and we didn't even see that happening, what a clever way to joke about Kenny dying again. Garrison's tweets about Tweek, Tweek's dad trying to calm down Tweek with fidget spinners and kids laughing at Cartman's suicidal voice message were other funny parts of this episode.

I was impressed by the humor and the commentary on this episode and I hope season 21 will go with the same route.

Grade: A

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Dr. WhoBruh said:

The last episode was one of the funniest they have done in a while. Tweak x Craig was my favorite episode of season 19 but I was skeptical that they were gonna do a sequel of this and the premise of Tweek and Craig dealing with issues worried me but they did a great job with this episode. Unlike last episode, the resolution to the plot worked and trump was used better here. Many people worry so much about the fact that Trump pisses off Kim Jong Un that Kim Jong is gonna launch missles and at first this episode was going with message that people should stop worrying so much but I'm glad the message was the fact that we should comfort those who are afraid and concerned. And that's exactly what Craig did at the end of this episode. The second main topic this episode tackled was using phone while driving a car and I'm glad this show decided to tackle with that issue. It concerns me that while I'm on the road, many people don't even think about looking at the road and they just focus on their own phone, so this episode spoke to me. My only complaint with this was that running gag of kids getting hit by cars. First time, it worked as a serious moment and then the episode went a bit too much with this and that was tasteless. Other than that, this episode had tons of funny parts. Cartman was like his old self again, seeing him trying to get attention by fake suicide rumors cracked me up, especially to PC Principal for not giving a crap about Cartman. I'm disappointed that him and Heidi are back together but It makes me happy that Heidi is being more aware of Cartman's horrid behaviour. The rap song by Cartman and the song at the end were all funny, I died when they showed the kids that died by car, Kenny was there. Kenny was also hit by a car and we didn't even see that happening, what a clever way to joke about Kenny dying again. Garrison's tweets about Tweet, Tweeks dad trying to calm down Tweek with fidget spinners and kids laughing at Cartman's suicidal voice message were other funny parts of this episode.

I was impressed by the humor and the commentary on this episode and I hope season 21 will go with the same route.

Yeah this episode was great. Cartman rapping was fucking great, as well as the song in the end. On the Trump shit, I'm glad the kind of whole point was "who the fuck cares about what the president is tweeting" and I thought the trump was used a little better here, but I still want that stuff to be kept to a minimum. This was an easy improvement over the premiere and I'm excited to see the next episode before Trey and Matt take their first dark week.

Edited by CyanideFishbone
  • Like 1

A little late to the party but damn great episode.  Much better than anything from last season while we are at it too.  I don't even mind that Cartman and Heidi are seemingly back together because at least Heidi can see the real Cartman for what he is, a narcissist.  That song at the end will be the highlight of this season for me unless they manage to somehow top it because that song is a great representation as to why I have and will always love this show.  

Small note, but that Twitter avatar for Garrison is fucking spot on to the point that I had to pause and laugh at it for a good thirty seconds.

• Like 4

In my opinion, that was another great episode. I'm glad the boys were more in it, and Randy episodes are almost always a complete treat to watch. So many of the jokes were fantastic with Randy, especially the joke with calling everyone in Columbus and calling them racist, the joke of changing British Columbia to just "British", and him defecating on the Columbus Circle all killed me, especially the first two. I'd give it a 9/10, and oh boy controversial opinion time, as good as last week's episode was, I think I enjoyed this one more because I'm just a sucker for Randy episodes and the comedy in this episode was top notch in my opinion. Also gets bonus points from me because the boys were more in it, which even though they weren't the central focus of the episode, it's still really good to see them getting more inclusive in the plot after a season of Kyle's dad, Cartman, Heidi, and Mr. Garrison. 

Holiday Special wasn't as funny as Put It Down but another good episode for this season. Yeah, it's another Randy plot but I prefer Randy to be a scum over stupid any time. Him in Columbus costume beating the crap out of the gay native and then one random dude taking a video of that was classic South Park comedy. My favorite aspect of this episode was definitely seeing our main kids do shenanigans again. Finally Kenny is recognized in this episode. Him threatening the person who canceled Columbus day to research on Randy was priceless and the kids wearing masks and kidnapping the person was pretty funny. Of course every scene with the gay native killed me and I love how his parents accepted his sexuality. Randy changing the name of the break day and then everyone not giving a crap about it was great too. One last thing, thank god for no Heidi/Cartman romance. This was the first episode that finally got rid of the continuty and focused on the episodic aspect of this show. This season is definitely on the right track so far.

Grade: B+

Franchise Prequel wasn't as funny as I thought it would be but it was still pretty decent. I didn't quite enjoy Mark Zuckerberg jokes that much. I get why they'd make fun of him after how he shut down FaceBook (it's back tho?) but I didn't care for his subplot and making fun of him doing sound effects got annoying. Coon and Friends and Professor Chaos plot was the only thing that interested me, however it didn't have as many memorable jokes as I wanted, plus not enough Myserion. And why Heidi is still dating Cartman? Just dump him already. Still this episode had some good jokes like the whole Cartman making FB live about Zuckerbeg kicking a black, crippled and a jew kid for discrimination, I loved the way they made fun of intros of Arrowverse shows, especially The Flash, I loved seeing the police making people admit it was their fault to call Zuckerberg and the ending was a great tie in for The Fractured but Whole game.

Grade: B

Halfway through S21.  Thought I'd share my personal rankings of each episode from best to worst:

1. Put It Down - 9.5/10

Narrowly misses a perfect score due to the theme park scene going on for too long.

2. Franchise Prequel - 8/10

Yeah it was a cheap plug episode for The Fractured But Whole, but I liked it and their mocking of Mark Zuckerberg was spot on especially so quickly after his virtual tour of Puerto Rico was widely panned.

3. Holiday Special - 8/10

Only reason this wasn't a tie is due to Franchise Prequel being a funnier episode to me.  But I like how this works as a stand alone episode without any sort of continuity whatsoever.  Plus it was focused primarily on Randy versus the kids and that plot carried the episode to better heights because of it watching them try to outsmart each other.

4. Hummels & Heroin - 5/10

The only perks are that rap song throughout the episode, the kids doing barbershop quartet numbers on all those hit songs from the 90s and 2000s, and Josh Gad's guest spot as Marcus, proving how great a voice actor Josh Gad is.  Otherwise, all the dots were there for this episode to connect and it dropped the ball.

5. White People Renovating Houses - 3/10

This did not hold up well watching how much better this season has gotten.

Definitely a major improvement over last season though.  Hope the back five episodes are all great as this season closes on a high note.

31 minutes ago, The Headless Clappy said:

Halfway through S21.  Thought I'd share my personal rankings of each episode from best to worst:

1. Put It Down - 9.5/10

Narrowly misses a perfect score due to the theme park scene going on for too long.

2. Franchise Prequel - 8/10

Yeah it was a cheap plug episode for The Fractured But Whole, but I liked it and their mocking of Mark Zuckerberg was spot on especially so quickly after his virtual tour of Puerto Rico was widely panned.

3. Holiday Special - 8/10

Only reason this wasn't a tie is due to Franchise Prequel being a funnier episode to me.  But I like how this works as a stand alone episode without any sort of continuity whatsoever.  Plus it was focused primarily on Randy versus the kids and that plot carried the episode to better heights because of it watching them try to outsmart each other.

4. Hummels & Heroin - 5/10

The only perks are that rap song throughout the episode, the kids doing barbershop quartet numbers on all those hit songs from the 90s and 2000s, and Josh Gad's guest spot as Marcus, proving how great a voice actor Josh Gad is.  Otherwise, all the dots were there for this episode to connect and it dropped the ball.

5. White People Renovating Houses - 3/10

This did not hold up well watching how much better this season has gotten.

Definitely a major improvement over last season though.  Hope the back five episodes are all great as this season closes on a high note.

I forgot to comment on Hummels and Heroin but tbh I thought that one was like an old school South Park. It wasn't as funny as Put It Down for me but it gave me pretty good laughs and it was the most stan, kyle, kenny and cartman centered story in a long time and I needed that after the focus was heavy on other characters in past seasons. My only gripe would be the fart noises and the end. Otherwise, the epsiode was pretty great imo.

I agree that this season has been a massive improvement over season 20. More hilarious jokes and more episodes that stand out on their own.

The best thing in Hummels and Heroin was having Stan's grandpa go all Sean Penn beating the shit out of Clancy Brown and his butt buddy, Tweety, with a pillow case full of unopened soda cans and taking over their detention block in Bad Boys. That shit was freakin cherry, mang.

Nice to see Matt and Trey paying homage to such an underrated movie. It gets a good grade in my book based on that alone.

So any thoughts on Doubling Down?

I actually both loved it and disliked it. What I love about this episode, aside from the humor (KYLE sequence with Cartman burning the flag and jews dancing was priceless) is the parallels with Cartman/Heidi and Trump/Trump supporters. This is the best Heidi has ever been. Just like how anti-Trump people outcast Trump supporters and now most Trump supporters regret voting for him, Heidi gets constant criticism and mocking from her friends for dating Cartman and she knows he's bad but she can't get out of the relationship due to Cartman's manipulations. Even when Heidi dumps Cartman for Kyle, her friends still shit on her. Instead of supporting Heidi, they make her situation a lot worse and that's why she starts dating Cartman again and she is even becoming like him. Some person on Reddit explored Cartman's development in this show and how Kyle and others treated Cartman badly for his weight and his mom, he slowly became a bigot and a sociopath. I loved how Heidi turned out in this episode. And it makes sense why they'd include Trump Garrison subplot to tie in with Heidi's arc. Memberberries returning was also godly. Sadly all of this is also why I dislike this episode. I'm glad they turned Cartman/Heidi's relationship around into abusive but at the same time, I'm sick of this on and off relationship that got heavy focus half of this season, Heidi deserves better man and bringing Trump Garrison back really broke their promise to not include Trump storyline from last season due to everyone mocking him and them promising to go back to basics. Luckily this season has been mostly episodic but it's still following two of season 20's badly written plots and I'm worried they'll screw everything up at the end of this season. I hope they actually have a good plan for Cartman/Heidi or else drop this arc already, same with Trump.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dr. WhoBruh said:

So any thoughts on Doubling Down?

I actually both loved it and disliked it. What I love about this episode, aside from the humor (KYLE sequence with Cartman burning the flag and jews dancing was priceless) is the parallels with Cartman/Heidi and Trump/Trump supporters. This is the best Heidi has ever been. Just like how anti-Trump people outcast Trump supporters and now most Trump supporters regret voting for him, Heidi gets constant criticism and mocking from her friends for dating Cartman and she knows he's bad but she can't get out of the relationship due to Cartman's manipulations. Even when Heidi dumps Cartman for Kyle, her friends still shit on her. Instead of supporting Heidi, they make her situation a lot worse and that's why she starts dating Cartman again and she is even becoming like him. Some person on Reddit explored Cartman's development in this show and how Kyle and others treated Cartman badly for his weight and his mom, he slowly became a bigot and a sociopath. I loved how Heidi turned out in this episode. And it makes sense why they'd include Trump Garrison subplot to tie in with Heidi's arc. Memberberries returning was also godly. Sadly all of this is also why I dislike this episode. I'm glad they turned Cartman/Heidi's relationship around into abusive but at the same time, I'm sick of this on and off relationship that got heavy focus half of this season, Heidi deserves better man and bringing Trump Garrison back really broke their promise to not include Trump storyline from last season due to everyone mocking him and them promising to go back to basics. Luckily this season has been mostly episodic but it's still following two of season 20's badly written plots and I'm worried they'll screw everything up at the end of this season. I hope they actually have a good plan for Cartman/Heidi or else drop this arc already, same with Trump.

I honestly... kind of liked the Trump Garrison stuff? And I'm ashamed to admit it, because I don't want them to continue with it but for what it was in the episode it was funny. The Mitch McConnell turtle joke was really funny but I just found the other stuff of that just alright, and funny at certain parts. I think this is the fine level of using it though. I really don't want it to return though, it'll just overstay it's welcome. 

Honestly with the A plot I kind of had to take it with a grain of salt because it seems that they're finally wrapping up all the Heidi stuff and thank god. Her and Cartman working off of each other was actually pretty funny in Sons A Witches, but after a while it'd just out grow it's welcome. Also, honestly I wish they kept Kyle with Heidi. That would have been the best route to go. A lot of funny stuff would've come from that, and honestly (I know I might get killed for saying this) that would've been an interesting two or three parter as long as it wraps up well, which after Seasons 19 and 20 I don't know if they can do it anymore. But I'm still interested to see how it will wrap up, and I just want the Heidi shit gone. 

And that Kyle scene was hilarious. The animation was good too; like above average for South Park. Easily the most memorable part of the episode. 

Strong 6/10 or so. The pros and cons of this episode are about equal.

• Like 1

So last episode, Moss Piglets was freaking hilarious. I love how they have done with Heidi being just like Cartman, except her backstory and early personality was a bit different from Eric's. I'm glad Cartman is finally getting his karma for all the times he abused Heidi and thank goodness, she doesn't take shit from girls anymore. Still she has become a sociopath and I hope she'll return to her old self and learn all about being mean isn't the answer. I laughed at so many parts in this episode that I lost count. The plot was great, even though Nathan and Mimsy/Jimmy and Timmy could have used more screentime. Oh and thank god for no Trump Garrison this time. That's all I'll say. Next to Put It Down, it's my favorite episode of the season.

Okay after last night’s episode, I just have to come out and say it.  How many times are they going to throw so many plots together towards the end of the season and try to come up with a cohesive season finale?  Because this is the fourth straight season of doing this shit.  So much for a continuity-less season.  I just knew they were going to fall for it again because it’s probably driving Matt and Trey crazy that they can’t get one right.

That being said, I thought this episode was good.  Kinda reminded me of the Season 20 premiere a lot in terms of throwing multiple plots at once to see what sticks except executed a lot better.  I love the new characters Strong Woman and Miss Conduct.  Have a feeling the former will stick around as someone to bounce off of PC Principal’s antics.  Every time Hootie and the Blowfish played in this episode, I laughed.

Not sure how I feel about Kyle’s ridiculously out of nowhere descent into being an angry millennial is going to play out.  That was my main problem with this episode.  The timing of Kyle’s character taking such an extreme 180.  I know two episodes prior he realized his feelings for Heidi and he had to unleash said emotions somehow, but six episodes prior, he was completely against this angry protest movement with the statues and what not.  Some consistency would be freaking nice if they are going to go back on their word about continuity.

As it has been for the last four seasons of building to a big finale, I hope the season finale ends up being worth it, but my expectations are going to be super low because I’ve been down this road three previous times.  Maybe they will surprise me, but I’ve come to know better by now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Clappy said:

Okay after last night’s episode, I just have to come out and say it.  How many times are they going to throw so many plots together towards the end of the season and try to come up with a cohesive season finale?  Because this is the fourth straight season of doing this shit.  So much for a continuity-less season.  I just knew they were going to fall for it again because it’s probably driving Matt and Trey crazy that they can’t get one right.

That being said, I thought this episode was good.  Kinda reminded me of the Season 20 premiere a lot in terms of throwing multiple plots at once to see what sticks except executed a lot better.  I love the new characters Strong Woman and Miss Conduct.  Have a feeling the former will stick around as someone to bounce off of PC Principal’s antics.  Every time Hootie and the Blowfish played in this episode, I laughed.

Not sure how I feel about Kyle’s ridiculously out of nowhere descent into being an angry millennial is going to play out.  That was my main problem with this episode.  The timing of Kyle’s character taking such an extreme 180.  I know two episodes prior he realized his feelings for Heidi and he had to unleash said emotions somehow, but six episodes prior, he was completely against this angry protest movement with the statues and what not.  Some consistency would be freaking nice if they are going to go back on their word about continuity.

As it has been for the last four seasons of building to a big finale, I hope the season finale ends up being worth it, but my expectations are going to be super low because I’ve been down this road three previous times.  Maybe they will surprise me, but I’ve come to know better by now.

Yeah, the Kyle shit was just so.... out of left field. I thought the Terrance and Philip Netflix show shit was pretty funny and it didn't outstay it's welcome, but yeah, that was just such a weird 180. Kind of intrigued in how it'll end but the other part of me just wants to hate it because it's so out of the blue.

The other stuff was pretty good though. The Hootie and The Blowfish, Strong Woman, and Miss Conduct shit was hilarious and definitely the highlight of the episode. Not amazing, but not terrible. I give it a 7/10. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hayden said:

Continuity is the only way to make South Park watchable

Glad they chose their own path instead of trying to overcorrect to please groups that will never be pleased

What? The main criticism of South Park is more about the fact that they can't do seasonal story arcs right, instead of adding continuity. Season 20 was a good example of this. Every story arc they introduced failed because they did these all at once and Matt and Trey didn't make some backup plan with their story arcs and it doesn't help that they are writing an episode 6 days before its airing. They said they don't wanna make Trump jokes because everyone else did it, yet they continued this in this season. Once again, they are doing too many things at once (Kyle and his 180 degree turn on T&P, PC Principal and him having crush, Cartman and Heidi, Trump Garrison) and there's not enough time to tie in all these with one finale. I'm not saying continuity is bad, season 19 did this almost correctly because each episode had their own themes, while setting up a bigger picture. It didn't do too well at the end but it didn't stop me from appreciating this new technique. Season 20 was doing good, even if they were doing too many things at once, but it fell after episode 7. I'm okay with continuity but do it well, this is their forth attempt and I'm not convinced they can pull it off because once again too many plots to be wrapped up. I preferred episodic format because that's a better way to tackle politics and social issues in the world. Each episode having their own thing and standing on its own. This season has been doing better than season 20 because they started to tone down the continuity and they focused on one story. Now they are being all continuity again and I'm worried they won't be able to pull it off. With that being said, this episode was perfectly fine for me. I didn't like how Kyle's mood was changed all of a sudden but I did like old T&P, Jewish mom jokes, PC Principal and Mackie were just adorable and Trump blowing up Canada was intense. I'm interested in what they are gonna do next in the final episode but I have low expectations.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Whobie Dooby Doo, you need to stop jumping to conclusions about my posts. I said I'm glad they didn't OVERcorrect. I'm not saying that some of the changes in S21 haven't been for the better. The seasonal arc this year has no reason to give you low expectations.

If I had to watch 10 episodes about Randy's one-off episode antics I would not consider the show priority viewing. I'm glad it didn't entirely reset back to "classic form" like some nostalgics wanted. (Again, you somehow thought the post was about your opinions). 

This is a two part finale and I don't think it's over-juggling in the slightest. Kyle's problem is directly tied to the Heidi/Cartman story. Trump Garrison is a plot device, not something that needs a resolution. This Canada nuking will blow over and he'll still be here in S22. It's not like a wave of member berries just crashed into the finale, this is very contained. Most of the leg work with PC Principal's story was done in this episode so it won't intrude on whatever's coming. AV Club's ramblings were very silly.