• Advertisement

South Park

dragiiin123

Member Berries thoughts

Spoiler

This set up this season so well. I liked how they poked fun at the whole Ghostbusters reboot controversy and Cartman trying to be Political Correct in a horrible way, memberberries being all about nostalgia (I didn't get that until I saw a few comments from people), JJ Abrams rebooting the anthem, whole Trump (Garrison) vs Hillary debate and skankhunt42 troll being Kyle's dad? Although, there are a lot of plots in this episode, It didn't bother me since I thought the pacing was well-done in this episode. It's not really a funny episode to me but it was an interesting episode to start off this season.

Grade: A-

I'm glad South Park is back and all, but man did last night's season premiere have A LOT going on.  Way too many storylines were competing with each other in terms of trying to be most relevant that it got awfully distracting from the central focus, which I assume was the member berries part?  I don't know.  It felt like Matt and Trey were just throwing all the plots at the wall to see which one would stick the best.  Some of them did stick like I thought the JJ Abrams stuff absolutely stuck as well as sports focusing so heavily on who is and isn't protesting the national anthem.  The Garrison plot from last season is still funny and while I appreciate the throwback to "Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich" because it's so true about this year's election, it was starting to get tiresome the more they kept rehashing the joke.  Please don't run the joke to the ground. 

The online troll stuff though was absolutely 100% the weakest part outside of a few funny moments parodying the Ghostbusters controversy.  Obviously this is going to be a recurring storyline throughout the next episode to potentially even longer if the past few seasons are any indication of what's to come.  It better pick up steam soon because I'm not invested yet, even after the out of nowhere plot twist at the end.  I have faith they will do this more justice since the Safe Space episode from last season where they briefly dove into this same subject was the best episode of Season 19 in my opinion.  We'll see where it goes, but it's off to a unconvincing, slightly shaky start.

Hell it still feels like I'm missing a few plots because A LOT happened on South Park last night.  I seriously wished they spaced some of these plots further into this season because some of these could have made great individual episodes.  Otherwise, this one was a clusterfuck, but not necessarily a bad one.  A South Park clusterfuck is still a decent enough one to me and while last night's episode without a doubt was one, it was still okay.  Still optimistic to where this season goes from here.

6/10

32 minutes ago, Clappy said:

I have faith they will do this more justice since the Safe Space episode from last season where they briefly dove into this same subject was the best episode of Season 19 in my opinion. 

Spoiler

tbh I thought of same thing about Safe Space and how it was handled was so well-done until people didn't learn anything from it and just decided to make starvng kids write all these positive comments and Reality was executed. Still the moral of Reality was great but I wanted characters to see that too.

Thoughts on Skank Hunt

Spoiler

This episode was great. I loved how they made Heidi's situation look like suicidal, except she just threw her phone away, although if they went with the suicide, I wouldn't mind it because the show knows when to be serious and before she threw her phone away, I legit thought she was gonna commit suicide and how it played out was so serious and I gotta give props to Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Gerald being skankhunt42 was so amusing to see and I like how they made him just enjoy bullying people, instead of stereotyping him into people that have miserable lives. I like how they pointed that out too. This is probably one of the few times that I can let the bad guy having no understandable motivations slide because Gerald is a bully and usually bullies have a reason to bully but Gerald just seem to have fun and not miserable. I loved when the kids break all of Cartman's electronic stuff and even though Cartman isn't the bully, I found it to be satisfying after everything he has done lmao but I did feel bad for him simply because if that happened to me, I'd lose my mind oops. Mackey's subplot was also interesting to see and I like how they tackled with the situation of people who claim they are gonna do something bad to themselves, so they can seek attention. I even like how Mackey wanted the kid to quit his twitter so much after the kid bothered him multiple times. Girls breaking up with boys was just so heartbreaking to see but I like how all Kyle had no girlfriend to begin with and he seemed to just feel bad for Cartman, maybe Kyle has feelings for Cartman  ? My only issue is that I couldn't find this episode to be funny. There are a few moments I chuckled but I dunno, these first two episodes lacked some humor for me but I think I can ignore that cuz a lot of moments in both episodes were pretty amusing to see and I like what they are doing with the story arc. I just hope next episodes are funnier and please MORE KENNY.

Grade: A-

This week's episode was better since the plot was far more focused and story driven.  I enjoyed the parallels between how quitting social media is like committing suicide a lot.  That's pretty accurate with how our society views leaving a website.  Also the online trolling storyline definitely picked up a lot more steam after such a pathetically weak start last week.  Gerald's fascination with trolling is definitely interesting since some trolls are just ordinary people who just want to watch the world burn around them.  I would still like to see some sort of backstory as to how it all started though.

I also liked the slightly more serious approach this episode took.  It worked for the darker humor this episode was going for.  While I did like this week's episode better, I still don't know if this storyline is enough to last ten episodes.  But hey the last two seasons took a lot of strange twists and turns to be able to sustain it.  Maybe this year will be the same?  I hope next week brings a more light hearted episode and also brings back key role players who have been somewhat silent this season like Kenny, PC Principal, and Randy.  Definitely an improvement this week.

7.5/10

Spoilers for The Damned

Spoiler

So far it's my favorite episode of the season. I loved everything about it. I really dug the storylines and I'm so shocked with couple of moments in this episode. Freja commiting suicide was just a whole new level and Gerald actually felt bad about it and now Denmark is gonna be a problem for Gerald. Plus Ike seems like he's threatening Gerald, which was a really interesting twist for Gerald's plot. Although the whole Garrison vs Hillary didn't parallel with Trump vs Hillary debate, it was still interesting to see Garrison trying his best to get out of the election but people keep supporting him for honesty and I liked how they mocked that. I'm so interested to see how "memberberries" plot will play out and tie in with Garrison's plot. And Cartman and Heidi becoming friends (well, more than friends) was something that I'm so interested that how it'll go. Overall, a fantastic episode.

Grade: A

Last night's episode was definitely my favorite so far this season.  Everything is starting to tie together very well, even the worst plot of this season.  I was waiting for something to spice up the incredibly dull Cartman/Heidi romance and now that Cartman has stakes at risk, I hope this means a return of the old Cartman in trying to sabotage the Danish.  But man oh man are the member berries stealing this season.  They were without a doubt the best part of last night's episode and are definitely one of the most memorable (and quotable) villains in this show's long history.

Granted Season 20 still has been a huge disappointment to me.  Not that this isn't good, it's hard to follow up one of the best seasons in Season 19 where there were so many out of the park episodes I lost count.  I think this has been a solid season so far that can still move its way up my list if this wraps up its season long story well.  

Ranking Season 20:

1. Fort Collins - 9/10

2. Wieners Out - 8/10

3. The Damned - 7.5/10 (that Garrison/Hillary debate helped break the tied scores)

4. Skank Hunt - 7.5/10

5. Member Berries - 6.5/10

6. Douche and a Danish - 5/10

Just now, Clappy said:

Last night's episode was definitely my favorite so far this season.  Everything is starting to tie together very well, even the worst plot of this season.  I was waiting for something to spice up the incredibly dull Cartman/Heidi romance and now that Cartman has stakes at risk, I hope this means a return of the old Cartman in trying to sabotage the Danish.  But man oh man are the member berries stealing this season.  They were without a doubt the best part of last night's episode and are definitely one of the most memorable (and quotable) villains in this show's long history.

Granted Season 20 still has been a huge disappointment to me.  Not that this isn't good, it's hard to follow up one of the best seasons in Season 19 where there were so many out of the park episodes I lost count.  I think this has been a solid season so far that can still move its way up my list if this wraps up its season long story well.  

Ranking Season 20:

1. Fort Collins - 9/10

2. Wieners Out - 8/10

3. The Damned - 7.5/10 (that Garrison/Hillary debate helped break the tied scores)

4. Skank Hunt - 7.5/10

5. Member Berries - 6.5/10

6. A Douche and a Danish - 5/10

I think the storylines are tying in this season better than season 18-19 but good stuff in season 18-19 episodes stand on their own more imho and season 19 has funnier episodes. Still I'm really enjoying this season and this episode is definitely the best of the season so far imo.

2 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

I think the storylines are tying in this season better than season 18-19 but good stuff in season 18-19 episodes stand on their own more imho and season 19 has funnier episodes. Still I'm really enjoying this season and this episode is definitely the best of the season so far imo.

It's too early to tell just yet because Season 19 was doing a good job at tying everything together then faltered at the end (only flaw with that season).  But part of Season 20's disappointment in my eyes is that none of these episodes are good as stand alone episodes.  This season works better as a binge watch on Hulu, which you know, is fine and all. I love binge watch shows as much as the next guy.  That just isn't how I view my South Park since you don't stream South Park.  You watch it live on Comedy Central for new episodes at 10 PM EST (or at least I do lol).

36 minutes ago, Clappy said:

It's too early to tell just yet because Season 19 was doing a good job at tying everything together then faltered at the end (only flaw with that season).  But part of Season 20's disappointment in my eyes is that none of these episodes are good as stand alone episodes.  This season works better as a binge watch on Hulu, which you know, is fine and all. I love binge watch shows as much as the next guy.  That just isn't how I view my South Park since you don't stream South Park.  You watch it live on Comedy Central for new episodes at 10 PM EST (or at least I do lol).

I should have said "so far" in my post. :P Yeah, it was just that most of season 19 had plots of their own, while it's mostly quiet on setting up it's episodes. This season has been continuing  4-5 stories with not having real stand alone stories but I think the storylines of this season are more interesting than season 19 so far, whereas season 19 has funnier stuff to me. I mean in the end, this season can still end badly but I hope not because I really feel like they got contination of this season this time. Still me missy stand alone ones MEMBER THAT CLAPPY, I MEMBER :funny: 

I want to be honest here, but I have been fucking LOVING this season. Like, I've been enjoying it as much as Season 18. The story is gripping and it's just all so enjoyable. I love the troll stuff because I can't fucking wait until Gerald gets exposed, if that happens, and please let Gerald get exposed, or the other trolls. I'd love to see everyone's reaction to that, especially Sheila and Kyle.

Other than that, I like how Cartman is taking a neutral stance in this season and is generally not an antagonist. That's an interesting concept although I'm certain it's been in episodes before (I would say Tsst, but he faked being good at the end of that episode). And besides that, I generally find the stuff between Cartman and Heidi funny. The shit with Kyle calling her smart and Cartman getting angry at Kyle for not also calling her funny had me laughing out loud. Other than that, fucking solid season so far. Also really enjoy the stuff with Mr. Garrison having to bullshit everything to lose the election, funny stuff. If i have to choose one least favorite thing about this season so far it's probably member berries, because I find the CGI look of them honestly pretty off putting, but I can excuse that. Fucking great. Honestly, I didn't like Season 19 as much as others because PC Principal was funny for a little while and just got old, along with the rest of the PC stuff. Also that season came on at a shitty part in my life and I'm certain that influenced it's enjoyment for me too.

But yeah, great season so far with so many cliffhangers. Can't wait to see what happens next after Fort Collins's entire Internet history from every citizen in town got leaked, especially because that one troll was killed. 

• Like 1