• Advertisement

052b. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V

spongebobiscool

Agreed about this being the best MM and BB episode with the third one being a close second.

Anyway, its a fantastic episode and it makes me laugh every time I watch it no matter how many times I watch it. 9/10

Loved this episode. Made me laugh a bunch with a ton of the bits. :3 I also loved the superhero elements, and I definitely agree with this being the best; not only because of the comedic elements, but because of the hero action. I feel like the MM and BB episodes are supposed to have SOME superhero factors to them, and usually, they do, but this really hits home. :D

10/10

Just like others said, this is the best MMBB episode. It was very funny and enjoyable. All characters were great in this episode, the plot was good and I laughed at many parts in this episode. The E.V.I.L. joke in this episode was very funny.  Star Wars joke was also funny. Mermaid Man eating the bomb ice cream and then exploding was very funny. Mr. Krabs slapping Mermaid Man in his face twice cracked me up. The fish making out with a pillow was hilarious. SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Sandy and Mermaid Man accidently destorying each other was the best part of this episode. I rate this epsiode 10/10. It's another classsic season 3 episode, although I prefer It's partner (Chocolate With Nuts) over this episode.

I've always been a superhero fanboy, and that's why the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy saga has such a special place in my heart. The reason most of the MM&BB eps aren't in my Fave 50 and the only other one that made it (IV) is 20 positions below this one is simply because there wasn't anything exceptional about them. I would've been happy to put the entire saga on my list, and I can assure you that all of the episodes are in my Top 100, but none of the others have close to the effect that MM&BB V has. This episode deconstructs as many superhero tropes as it can in 11 minutes, with notable examples of this being the "dark side" of the restaurant and the slightly-insane chief, all of this culminating with

Spoiler

the loss of the superhero team of SpongeBob, Sandy, Squidward, and Patrick, who thought it would be a good idea to jump into a fight without training with their powers at all. The touching reunion between Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy at the end was a rare emotional moment for Season 3, and definitely something that guaranteed this episode a place in my Top Ten.