• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever! (20 Year Anniversary Edition!)

Sweat

Krusty Towers:  Not one of my favorites, but still enjoyable.

Idiot Box: A very funny episode that has a lot of creativity.

Dunces and Dragons: Another one that's not one of my favorites, but not  a bad episode.

Sailor Mouth: A very funny episode, and knowing that the actors in the recording booth were actually swearing while making this episode makes it ten times funnier.

SB-129: A really funny episode that centers on Squidward. I would've liked to see more of that chrome future

Nasty Patty: Another ep that I often find myself quoting due to its humor..

14. "What do you mean, you drove him away. It's right there in black and white. See, right there. And there."
E4N1U4i.png
Have You Seen This Snail?, 260 points
17 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #2 @Klu) (+12)

There you go. The other one of the big two season 4 specials. The highest season 4 episode on the list, and officially SBC's favorite post-movie episode this year. Unlike Dunces and Dragons, though, which had a constant rise ever since landing on the list, Have You Seen This Snail has been all over the place. At highest, it's been at #9, and #26 at the lowest. Unfortunately, it did not jump back into the top 10 year, but it did come back into the top 20 after spending a year JUST below the top half. And for the record, I fully agree with SBC's consensus on the episode. This is my favorite post-movie episode as well, and made it onto #12 on my list. It's one of those episodes that's an "experience," one that just slams with you with so many different emotions... mostly sadness. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think the SpongeBob crew can ever make a better Gary-centric episode. This just hits everything right on the spot, and makes for one of the most heartwarming episode in the show's history.

13. "Well...You backed up. And you know what? I think we're out of gas. And you know what else? We're in the middle of nowhere!"
image.png.917998694685b3c5b759465fa79af808.png
Pizza Delivery, 262 points
18 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank 2 #2's @CakeCup @Renata Klein) (+1)

At #14 was SBC's favorite post-movie episode. Now, at the flipside at #13 is SBC's favorite season 1. Yup, any episodes on the list outside of the golden stew of season 2 and season 3 ends here. This is another fully canonized regular of the top 20, but strangely enough, it has never been in the top 10! It has been floating around 11-20 every since 2013, so I'd like to think the episode is comfy where it is. While this episode didn't make it on my top 25, it's surely among my favorite season 1 episodes as well. (Not #1 though. That honor goes to Squeaky Boots.) Its honor as SBC's favorite of season 1 makes a lot of sense, though, as just like the episode above, it has a little bit of everything. A lot of the gags and lines here are some of the most classic of all of pre-movie, and seeing the evolution of Squidward and SpongeBob's interaction throughout the episode begins merely funny but ends up being really cute. There aren't many moments in the show that are sadder than SpongeBob being abused by the ungrateful customer, nor are there many moments as satisfying as Squidward bludgeoning him with the pizza.

• Like 8

Have You Seen This Snail is one of my favorite episodes ever and it's definitely on my list for being pure heartwarming, funny and well-written. It hits all the right notes. It's not my favorite post-movie episode but it's up there.

Pizza Delivery was the first episode I have seen in my memory, so it does hold a special place in my heart for that. It's not exactly one of my all-time favorites but I really appreciated it for being the start of the beautiful SpongeBob/Squidward dynamic as we know it.

Have You Seen This Snail? is great but I think that the episode could have had a few more jokes in between all of the sad parts. Still love it though, and I could totally see why people would consider this as one of their favorites.

I have nothing really to say about Pizza Delivery. It's just a super great episode and I'm glad it made it so high.

12. "And I curse this Krabby Patty and all who enjoy them to an early and well-deserved grave!"
hGwJVMm.png
Just One Bite, 280 points
20 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank 2 #1's @Klu @Wintermelon43 ) (+9)

As I finish off everything that isn't the top 10, Just One Bite deserves some love for being the highest top 20 debut on the list! 2019 was the first ever year it even made it in, and only the second year it was in the top half. Outside of a fluke #26 at 2013, Just One Bite climbed and climbed consistently since 2015. For me personally, and probably for some others who ranked it high, Just One Bite's leap this year feels almost triumphant. I truly, deeply hope that it can somehow snag a spot in the top ten in a few years because this is among my absolute favorite episodes in the show's history. At #3 on my list, it's my absolute favorite episode outside of the top 10 (#2 and #1, you'll see eventually.) From the very beginning as a wee lad, I was totally in love with this episode. It was, and still is, one of the funniest episodes that the show has to offer. I love myself some Squidward episodes, and his character here is top notch. It makes for one of the most sentimental episodes in the show's catalogue, too. Squidward's adoration for the Krabby Patty is obviously played partially for laughs, but at times, you genuinely feel for him. It's just an "everything" episode, one I have very fond nostalgia for, and as far as I'm concerned, one of the best episodes the SpongeBob crew have ever summoned.

11. "Of course not. Nobody has a spatula for a hand. It was all a joke."
image.png.043e31225d1acb0cbd49d5dd6070b998.png
Graveyard Shift, 291 points
24 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #2 @Matt0417) (-3)

And here it is. The last episode before the elusive, exciting top 10. Actually, some would probably argue that this episode's mild drop is kind of tragic, because this episode has been in the top 10 itself ever since 2015. Sadly, its golden streak broke this year and JUST missed the cut. That said, this episode remains a milestone and a half because it is THE first episode in the top 50 where more than half of the list submitters put it on. It's such a weird outlier too, because the only other episode to reach that are the top 6, which makes Graveyard Shift's placement at #11 all the more baffling. Me personally, I don't see it as a massive loss that it left the top 10. While I love the episode and put it (low) on my top 25, there are episodes in the top 10 I love way more, but I'm still happy this stayed in the top 20. It's a hilarious and genuinely kind of spooky episode. When I was a kid, Nosferatu scares the piss out of me (and still sorta does), but he just adds to the charm of this episode. Stay tuned for the top 10!

• Like 4
  • Happy 2

Just One Bite deserves all the praise it gets. The show's pre-movie eps can be tiresome when they are memed too much but this episode never lost its charm. every joke hits and the whole premise is so ridiculous that I love it so much. One of Squidward's top tier comedic performances ever.

Graveyard Shift used to be on my list but not anymore. still this is an ep i love. the way it estabilishes its tone is so perfect and once again, SpongeBob/Squidwar dynamic is amazing. I loved the plot, jokes are great and the twists and turns were spectacular. Even though I'm not as crazy for this one as I used to be, it deserves to be on the list.

God I haven’t been able to commentate on any of these episodes. I barely use this site anymore since nothing I do to get SBC to work on edge is working and I have no space and too lazy to get a different browser to use (also OCD). Maybe I’ll do something later on. So much to type. Should’ve been more prepared for this since I’m usually more negative on this show than I want to be and this was my only chance to be positive again :((

• Sad 1

Just One Bite is a fun episode centered around Squidward. It's a shame that Squidward doesn't like Krabby Patties in the newer episodes.

I'm sorry, but I don't hold Graveyard Shift that high in regard. It's good, and it has a few funny jokes, but I feel like the whole episode felt kind of pointless with the reveal at the end. I still like it, but I wouldn't put it in my top 15 for Season 2.

10. "Hold it right there, Doodle. I brought you into this world, and now I’m gonna take you out."
j7lIHZB.png
Frankendoodle, 298 points
19 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank 4 #3's @NegiSpongie @CDCB @Matt0417 @Coffee_lover) (0)

Wham! Bam! Top ten! For the 20 year edition of the list, we begin the home stretch the exact same way we did last year: Frankendoodle. This episode has a strange trend because it's been in the top 20 since 2015, yet... wasn't on the list at all in 2013! The first list is such a glitch compared to the other ones, I swear. Either way, this episode did make the top 10 for the second year in a row, with a whopping number of people that put it at its peak. Actually, there are 3 more top-5 entries besides the ones listed above, so it's clear to see why it made the top 10 again. As someone who also put it in my top 10 (#9), I am more than happy at its refusal to budge. This, for one, is a super nostalgic episode for me and one of my favorites growing up, but it feels like a journey of an episode otherwise. Not that many SpongeBob episodes, especially in pre-movie, could be considered a "thriller" of sorts, and this episode pulls that off perfectly. DoodleBob is the perfect creepy, ambiguous villain, and his interactions with SpongeBob and Patrick lead to both hilarity and, occasionally, genuine suspense.

9. "We did it! We painted the whole house and without getting a drop of paint on... FLAPPIN' FLOTSAM, WHAT'S THAT!?"
RYoYEZI.png
Wet Painters, 308 points
19 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #1 @OWM) (-3)

Already, we have the first regular of the top 10 since 2013! As a matter of fact, this is the lowest it has ever been on the list. Does this mean it has a chance of leaving the list for the first time ever in 2021? Heck, I don't know, but I would be pretty sad if it did. One, because I like the fact that it's been in the top 10 since the beginning and don't want it to break that streak. More importantly though... it's just a great episode! This is one of FOUR episodes in the top 10 that I didn't put on my own top 25, but let me make it clear how painful of a cut it was. This episode is great. It's one of those episodes where the writers take a very bare-bones plotline with minimal amount of characters, and they wring as much comedy and suspense out of it as they possibly can. It's kind of a childish plot, but that's totally the point. We have all had those moments as kids, where we completely screw up and we go into full-on panic mode before our parents/teachers/whatever discover our mess. It's a great episode to watch as a kid, and doesn't lose any of its charm as you grow older. Oh yeah, another milestone: 300+ points! Only the top 4 last year hit that milestone, if you want yet another gauge in how huge the amount of participation was in this year's list.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 3
  • Happy 2
  • Sad 2

Frankendoodle on my list. I don't love it compared to its partner ep but it's still one of the most creative and bizarre episodes of the show. It's such a thrill ride and it hits joke after joke. I think top 10 is a sweet top for this episode, it totally deserves it.

Wet Painters is on my top 5 because it's just that good of an episode. I lost count on how many times the episode cracked me up. It's such a cleverly done simplistic episode with so much humor and insanity. 

Have You Seen This Snail?: One of my favorite episodes and so far the only SpongeBob episode to make me cry.

Pizza Delivery: Another one of my favorite episodes with great jokes and a heartwarming moment with SpongeBob and Squidward.

Just One Bite: A really funny episode that focuses on Squidward, though it is disappointing that they took out that funny scene with the gasoline.

Graveyard Shift: Another funny episode that's one of my favorite SpongeBob/Squidward episodes that's complete with great quotes.

Frankendoodle: Definitely a high one on the list for me. DoodleBob is one of my favorite characters and this episode is chalk full of funny gags and quotes.

Wet Painters: A really great episode, but while I don't consider it better than the previous five listed, it has great moments and funny jokes.

Been gone for quite some time, so I think I'll comment on episodes that aren't on my list.

Big Pink Loser: A pretty memorable Patrick episode.
Krabs a la Mode: Pretty good episode, I don't think it's even in my top FIFTY but I still really like it.
No Free Rides: Always loved this one, it's usually not what the majority thinks when they think "highlights of Season 2" but I think it deserves better.
Clams: SpongeBob doing parodies is pretty rare, and I've actually never watched the original 1975 Jaws, but this episode is still freaking awesome without the context.
Survival of the Idiots: Amazing episode. 
Something Smells: Another fantastic one. There's not much to say on most of these besides I love it.
The Paper: This episode is pretty underrated imo, it's one of the best of the first season and it's a shame it only comes on once a year
Imitation Krabs: Another really solid Plankton episode.
Squidville: Memorable and funny.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V: Probably the best MM&BB episode besides Mermaid Man Begins.
SpongeBob Meets the Strangler: Love this one.
Krab-Borg: This was one of the first episodes I watched as a child, still think it's really funny and amazing.
Welcome to the Chum Bucket: A really funny episode with a bit of heart to it, great episode.
Rock Bottom: I don't know how the writers manage to make such a good episode out of basically one character in one location but they did.
Snowball Effect: One of the great classic SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward dynamic episodes.
Dunces and Dragons: Possibly the most creative special out of all of em.
Have You Seen This Snail: Patrick was my only problem with this episode. He's only there to not be helpful. Otherwise, it's alright.
Pizza Delivery: This one actually isn't on my list, but it's definitely close.
Just One Bite: Another fantastic SpongeBob and Squidward episode.
Wet Painters: See Pizza Delivery.

Edited by Matt0417

Hey y'all, I don't have time this morning for list commentary. I may fill it in tonight, but for now, y'all deserves to see the episodes anyway. Here are #8 and #7.

8. "But this is the wilderness! It just doesn't seem to fit the camping spirit."
8p5CD1Z.png
The Camping Episode, 346 points
20 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #1 @Clappy) (+1)

7. "It's really nice of you to help me in my time of need. I'll try not to be a burden."
70KCbEd.png
Can You Spare a Dime?, 348 points
18 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #1 @President Squidward) (+11)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1