• Advertisement

Best and Worst of Entertainment 2016 Edition: 5th Year Anniversary Special

Clappy

2014 TV

- FOP died in 2014. Sparky wasn't even the only one that killed the show. Ruined continuty, running gags, awful slapstick, modern culture references, overuse of Crocker and Mr. Turner, more idiotic Cosmo and rip off of old episodes. Just awful. Even epic specials are no longer with the show, although lets not get them cuz I know current crew will prob screw it up. sigh. I'm just gonna move on, so should Nickelodeon.

- Family Guy is still a show that is worth watching cuz unlike FOP, talking about it's badness is more fun. Unfourtunately, that's also worse because 2014, imho, was the bottom of the barrel for this show.

Peter Problems, Brian's a Bad Father, 3 Acts of God, Fresh Heir, Herpe the Love Sore, Mom's the Word, Brian the Closer and The 2000 Year Old Virgin.

These are just some of the worst episodes ever made and god they were aired during 2014. Thank god, at least season 14 and 15 (despite I still don't like them) are more tolerable to watch than season 12 and 13, just horrendus stuff all the way.

- Breadwinners, ugh. I actually watched the entire first season and early season 2 and it couldn't be more annoying. Thank god I stopped watching cuz it's seriously dreadful.

- Don't worry Clappy. Utopia in our country sucked ass too. It was just unbearable.

- Honestly 2014 wasn't really a strong year for Regular Show for me. Season 5 was still decent and all but it lacked imaginativeness of first four seasons and started to have more mediocre/bad episodes but unpopular opinion here, CJ was good in season 5 and first few episodes of season 6. I thought she had more characterization than Margaret and she was just fun. Too bad they ruined her after Merry Christmas Mordecai..

- You know how much I love Gravity Falls, so no comment here.

- Pahkitew Island was definitely an improvement over Revenge Island and All Stars because most of the characters were likeable and aside from Sugar (ugh, why why why), characters I had no interest in got rid of pretty quickly.

- well yeah, Breaking Bad would have been a better pick on 2013 list. Season 5 is the best season, out of every season of all shows I've seen for sure. It's one of the only series that managed to use "secret in family and friends" so well for spoilery reasons. It was inredibly memorable, thrilling and just overall fantastic.

- I have to agree season 18 of South Park couldn't tie in stuff well but It's understable since using story arcs is something that South Park hasn't done much, except for season 6, so having story arc in a season and not managing to tie in well makes sense. Although I still appreciated it for trying and it had excellent episodes like The Cissy, Freemium Isn't Free and Cock Magic.

- If I had to include one show on your list, that'd be Arrow. Second half of season 2 was one of the best stuff in comic book adaptation ever. You can all say whatever you want that Arrow was Batman in the season. I disagree, I thought his characterization felt pretty different, even with him deciding to not kill again, which was a perfect character development for him until later on, the crew ruined that. It wasn't just him tho. Slade was just perfect. Additions of Roy as Arsenal, Canary, Brother Blood, Sin, League of Assassins were really great, we got to learn more of Diggle, they made my least favorite character in season 1, Thea, very likeable, Laurel and Quentin were great and Felicity was at her best in the season. I still consider Arrow season 2 the best season out of all Arrowverse shows, sorry Flash season 1.

2014 Movies

- I still think 2014 was just a really good year for movies imo. It had a lot of awesome stuff in my opinion and it still had stuff that are considered great.

- I could have made Days of Future Past higher but I can understand why it wasn't your cup of tea and afer that movie, continuty of X-Men franchise became so messy.

- I wasn't so much fan of Neighbours but it was still decent.

- Mockingjay Part 1 was okay enough for me, I dunno why. Maybe I liked that it felt different than first two movies but I have to agree that the movie dragged on for sure.

- John Wick wasn't that great imo but I still enjoyed it and I'm excited for the sequel.

- aside from those, not much to say, I agreed most of the list. Other movies on the list I've seen were Big Hero 6, How To Train Your Dragon 2, Nightcrawler, Edge of Tomorrow, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and The Lego Movie were just incredible. Also yeah, Whiplash would have been my #1 too If I made a list during that year (AND I'D LOVE TO). Although I wouldn't complain If The Lego Movie was still your #1. If Whiplash is the most well-written movie of that year for me, then The Lego Movie was the most fun I've had in the year. I watched that movie three times and it only got better and better. Honestly Whiplash and The Lego Movie are just neck and neck for me for my favorite of 2014.

Can't wait for 2015 commentary :D 

• Like 1

Time for me to look back at my entertainment lists from 2015:

TV:

If I could redo this list again, I would definitely put Master of None in the top 10 now that I've seen the whole show and put Star vs. the Forces of Evil and/or Haikyuu in my honorable mentions. I don't know why I did that "tie" with Steven Universe and Gravity Falls :P I'd probably rank GF ahead of SU. I enjoyed the SU eps that aired in 2015, but I felt like GF was really on its A-game. Other than that I feel like my best list was fine.

Music:

...I really should've put the videos for the honorable mentions in spoiler tags, lol. Something to remember when I make this year's lists. 

The worst list:

-I dunno if I should've put Bitch Better Have My Money on the main list. I even admitted to myself that it was a guilty pleasure at best.

-I feel like "Post to Be" is too high. It's not a good song, but at least DJ Mustard saves it somewhat with decent production.

The best list:

-I'm pretty satisfied with it, though maybe I could've swapped Uma Thurman and Wildest Dreams' placements since I like the latter song more now.

Movies:

I'm embarrassed that it took me until May 2016 to finish this list. -_- I mean, that is some next-level procrastination, even for me. I'm gonna do better next time.

I think this is the list I disagree with the most now in terms of placement. First off, I'd rank Carol lower and The Martian higher, and I'd swap the placements of The Big Short and Brooklyn, perhaps. But I can't disagree with my top four, as I still think all of those films are great, especially Ex Machina and Room.

• Like 1

Might as well start my commentary on my lists in 2015 :3

TV

I'm actually okay with how this list turned out, except honestly it could have been much better. I did like how i put my effort in explaining why I liked those hut there are stuff I'd like to change.

First off shows that I would definitely include on the list or as honorable mentions:

- Flash. While it took a while for Arrow to reach it's peak (too bad season 3 made the show too dramatic), it didn't take much for Flash in it's first season. From the start, I was invested in for sure. Honestly despite my love for Jessica Jones, Flash was the best superhero show of that year. Forget it, best adaptation of that year. I got annoyed by love triangle stuff but everything else was fantastic. It was just so much fun and season 1 finale was so bittersweet for sure. And first half of season 2 was definitely great. After 2016, ughhh but we'll get there later ;3

- iZombie. It'd be on the list for sure. I'm glad I started to watch this. First season was just great. It made me introcude to Liv Moore, Major, Ravi and more awesome characters for sure. The premise was cool but later on, they tried to tell new stories and it worked as hell.

- Umbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. HOW COME THIS WASN'T ON MY LIST? Did i even watch this before i made the list? I DON'T REMEMBER. But hohoho I loved the first season. I still haven't seen second season but season 1 was just incredibly hilarious and well-written. Kimmy is one of the best characters of the decade imo. Her positive attitude, her cheer, her comedy; everything about her works. How come you don't root for someone who has almost nothing and want to have a goal in her life? I can.

- Daredevil. Honestly I don't think this was as good as other three shows i mentioned, so i think i'd put this on honorable mentions but even then, first season was great. Daredevil/Matt Murdock became another superhero to put on my favorite list. Yeah, he has same motives as Batman but he's a different character for sure and his journey in justice felt so complex to me, I rooted for him. I knew Wilson Fisk from 90s Spider-Man but this show made me realize how menacing he was. His motivations make sense and his childhood just makes you feel bad for him, despite how awful he is. I love MCU movies but I'm glad Marvel Netflix feels dark and mature, while still well-written.

Now as for replacements We Bare Bears (season 1 was really good but i lost interest in the show tbh), Total Drama Ridonculous Race and Adventure Time miniseries (AT miniseries was better than TT RC, now to think about it) would have been on honorable mentions and Flash at #6, Jessica Jones at #7, iZombie at #8, Unbreakable Kimmy at #9, South Park at #10. I still love South Park season 19 but now to think about it, the season did not wrap up well with ad story in last 3 episodes but still everything before worked so well for me. 

As for others on the list and honorable mentions, I'm proud where i left them. 

I'll do my commentary on my 2015 movie list later.

• Like 1

Tbh, as someone who sees every movie that comes out, a lot of times I laugh at the "worst of" lists.  I mean, in 2015, everyone was saying Pixels and Fant4stic was the worst of the year and shit like that.  And I'm just that lonely guy who saw Human Centipede 3.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Spicy Burrito said:

Tbh, as someone who sees every movie that comes out, a lot of times I laugh at the "worst of" lists.  I mean, in 2015, everyone was saying Pixels and Fant4stic was the worst of the year and shit like that.  And I'm just that lonely guy who saw Human Centipede 3.

You just had to see it, didn't you (smirk)

44 minutes ago, Dr. WhoBob said:

I hope you make lists of best and worst movies of this year. I'm interested for your thoughts :plankton: 

Oh I will.  Lot of shit/good shit to come out.  One will be out by February (once Gold is in wide release).

2014:

So, how about that old best/worst countdown I did for the pop hits of 2014?

Music:

In general, my musical reviews were the first two things I've done to get myself involved with these best/worst of entertainment lists. Did each of these reviews age well into this year? ....Nope. Before I get down to the actual lists, allow me to say that Kanye West samples. Now that I got that joke out of the way, allow for me to give some coverage to when I first started reviewing music, and it started near the end of 2013 when I did a Bottom 20 worst songs countdown....and I'm not going to lie, it was one of the most embarrassing reviews I've composed looking back, and that's not even limited to when I decided to make musical reviews dedicated to songs under the practice of sampling. My first kick into reviewing music was bad enough that I unintentionally stated that "Kanye West doesn't sample" at least once, without reassuring what I've said. Then you have my countdown for the best/worst hit songs of 2014. Let's go over my old bottom 10 list first before I then compare it with my new bottom 10:

Spoiler

1. Trumpets / Jason Derulo
2. Animals / Maroon 5
3. Don't Tell Em / Jeremih featuring YG
4, Wiggle / Jason Derulo featuring Snoop Dogg
5. Say Something / A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera
6. Adore You / Miley Cyrus
7. This is How We Roll / Florida Georgia Line featuring Luke Bryan
8. Na Na / Trey Songz
9. Blurred Lines / Robin Thicke featuring Pharrell Williams and T.I.
10. Animals / Martin Garrix

And now, my updated version of my bottom 10:

Spoiler

1. Trumpets / Jason Derulo
2. Animals / Maroon 5
3. Don't Tell Em / Jeremih featuring YG
4. Wiggle / Jason Derulo featuring Snoop Dogg
5. Adore You / Miley Cyrus
6. Say Something / A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera
7. This is How We Roll / Florida Georgia Line featuring Luke Bryan
8. Na Na / Trey Songz
9. Show Me / Kid Ink featuring Chris Brown
10. Burnin' It Down / Jason Aldean

My bottom 4 stands pretty stable. Let's talk about what I originally had for my #10. I just don't know what went over me in order to make such a huge deal out of "Animals" by Martin Garrix having a lack of substance, or just being a straight-up instrumental. I have since softened up to the song, but I still think the song is a little drab for my tastes. "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke, I pushed it up above the dishonorable mentions, along with MG's "Animals," due to my repetition rule, and because "Roar" (Katy Perry) is a more worse backwash song in retropsect. I'll also admit being the fool who wrote off A Great Big World based on their first impression on pop radio. They're not a bad band by any means, but "Say Something" still frustrates me for how boring and cliched it was for me. It has since switched spots with "Adore You," which I feel is miles more boring than the former. In place of #10, I replaced it with "Burnin' It Down," for being an uninteresting R&B-country hybrid, yet hardly being country in terms of sound, which is the biggest pitfall I've had towards the song. In place of #9 is "Show Me." I don't why acknowledging past reviews of this song was a reasonable excuse, so in my words, it's there for Kid Ink being such an uninteresting artist, and the songwriting for being flat out disgusting.

My list of dishonorable mentions have changed as well. Little-known fact, but I once had "Rude" in the 50s place of my past full rankings list. I didn't know what I thinking, but after I become more aware of its cod reggae flavor, and its awful songwriting, I pushed it down to the dishonorable mentions bracket. "All About That Bass," has also made the dishonorable mentions rank as well for aging very poorly. "La La La," by Naughty Boy and Sam Smith has also been bumped down for being one of the most obnoxious songs I've heard that year. And of course, "Roar," being the worst backwash song from the year-end list of 2013.

And now it's time to go over my old top 10 list....:

Spoiler

1. Chandelier / Sia
2. Ain't It Fun / Paramore
3. Rather Be / Clean Bandit featuring Jess Glynne
4. Don't / Ed Sheeran
5. Do What U Want / Lady Gaga featuring R. Kelly
6. Come with Me Now / KONGOS
7. Love Runs Out / OneRepublic
8. Royals / Lorde
9. Habits (Stay High) / Tove Lo
10. Leave the Night On / Sam Hunt

And compare it with my new list:

Spoiler

1. Chandelier / Sia
2. Ain't It Fun / Paramore
3. Rather Be / Clean Bandit featuring Jess Glynne
4. Don't / Ed Sheeran
5. Do What U Want / Lady Gaga featuring R. Kelly
6. Come with Me Now / KONGOS
7. Habits (Stay High) / Tove Lo
8. Love Runs Out / OneRepublic
9. Happy / Pharrell Williams
10. Drunk On a Plane / Dierks Bentley

My top 6 is stationery. The most notable change is with my old #10, "Leave the Night On." Oh boy. I'll admit, Sam Hunt still made a fairly decent first impression, but it objectively became his best song, when it became clear to me that the rest of his current musical library ranges from mediocre to absolutely awful. I still think it's good, but it's not as superb as I once made it out to be. So I replaced with "Drunk On a Plane" as my new #10, as I eventually found it to be the better sounding country crossover hit that year (and because I've grown into the humor about the subject itself). My original #8, "Royals" has been dropped down the top 10 for the same rule as pushing "Blurred Line" above the bottom 20, which is my repetition rule, because if I ever made a top 10 best hit songs of 2013 list, "Royals" would've definitely made it on there already. Not putting "Happy" on my list was a missed opportunity. It got a little tiring to listen to after a while, but looking back, I still found myself enjoying it, and it still puts a smile on my face. Thus, Happy takes "Royals'" place on the list, while ranking #9. #7, however is a 2 spot bump from "Habits (Stay High)," because I made a bit of an overstatement when I said Talking Body was the better song. I've been finding some more reasons to like "Habits," so that's why I bumped it up to #7 on the newer list.

Not much has changed for my honorable mentions list, but I do wish I gave some mention to "Shake It Off" and "Turn Down for What."

Animation:

....Oh wait...I didn't even do my top 10 animations list for 2014 yet, and it's going to be 3 years overdue when I finish it. :funny: The reason why I haven't posted my top favorite animated shows and movies from that year is because I've been planning on making a very broad top 10, and by broad, I mean something a little more unusual. There's a good amount of animated shows and movies from 2014 that I needed to catch up to or start watching. Just letting you guys know that I am making progress on making this list, but of course, my list for 2016 will be here first.

2015:

I have no real regrets on any of my choices for my top/bottom 10 hit songs of 2015, as well as my top 10 animations. However, I do wish I didn't end up rushing to publish the list before June, and that I would be able to make the list a little more broader. There's a lot of other animated shows and movies I haven't quite seen yet that piqued my interest, and I wish I had the time and money to watch stuff like the Major Lazer cartoon, April and the Extraordinary World, and Anomalisa. If I would make one small adjustment to my animations list though, I would include Rick & Morty somewhere, pushing Star Vs. the Forces of Evil out of the list. Additionally, in terms of my top/bottom 10 hit songs lists, I did express regretting not having "Can't Feel My Face" as one of my best hit songs of that year. When I said I don't regret any of my choices though, then that means there's something different I have in mind about that decision I've made. What will it mean? Find out when I post my top/bottom 10 hit songs for 2016....

BUT not until I get my top 10 animated movies/shows list out first. Yep, I've made a little change-up this year around, so animation comes first while music comes second. With that said, I'll be seeing you guys in a month or two.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1

here's my commentary on my best 2015 movies list

tbh there's not much that I regret on my list honestly. Except for one thing. I was too nice to Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's great for the reasons I said on my list but here's the issue. It was too similar to New Hope. Yeah, I even said that on my list but honestly, I shouldn't have let it slide because of what Christ Stuckmann said, plus I ate too much memberberries. This movie definitely feels like Star Wars and I appreciate that but they should have come up with new material, instead of taking plot elements from New Hope. I seriously disagree that coming up with differents idea would make this movie less of Star Wars. The story would have been still Star Wars-eqsue if they come up with something other than playing too much nostalgia. Look at Empire Strikes Back for crying out loud, that movie is it's own movie, not a New Hope 2.0. So yeah and another issue I have is lack of Poe. I love Poe from the moment I saw him but I wanted to see more characteriation from him but that rarely happened. I really hope they do more stuff with him in the sequel. So If I had to rank Force Awakens low, it'd be below The Martian. Also switch up Kingsmen with Spy and add Furious 7 to honorable mentions and rank The Gift the highest on honorable mentions.

So overall I'm still proud of my list, except for a few things.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 7:47 PM, The Spicy Burrito said:

EVERY movie that comes out?  Come on, even I don't see EVERY movie and I sometimes write movie reviews on social media sites and when I have time for them blogs.  That would drive me insane..or at least put a huge dent in my wallet. :P

Anyway on to revisiting the one that three people have already revisited for themselves:

Sorry if this is brief, but it's not because I don't have much to say...it's because I seriously have little to no problems with anything I did from these lists.  Except for on time duty and having to remake the topic because of the site errors from last year.  But hey, the on timeliness was because I was being super thorough and it lead to greatly composed lists.  So no regrets really.  On to what you guys wanted to read though:

Music:

Zero problems with my worst list as hard as it was to compose (and also hard to read because it kept crashing my phone with all those videos Kat :P).  I don't regret anything about it even though it was hard to craft a worst list since most of the bad songs of that year I didn't outright hate except for probably my Bottom 5.  Love my best list especially since I went that extra mile to spotlight my honorable mentions in such a huge way because this year was pretty damn good.  And while I wouldn't make any major changes, I sometimes wonder if I robbed Cool For The Summer my number ten spot over Chains.  But even then, that is just minor flip flopping because I love both songs.  This was also the first year I tried out Wumbo's rank them all format from 1 to 100 and it actually kept my lists neat and organized.  Good thinking there bro, going to steal use that format more often.

TV:

Once again, no real problems with this list either.  If anything, the worst list was hard to compose because of me not having any real problems with television for the most part and I was stretching for choices to be honest.  The best list was very easy and very fair to be honest.  Great number one choice that I definitely robbed myself of not viewing sooner.

Movies:

Maybe I could have gotten this done quicker, but posting this by March is going to be my goal for next year because after the awards ticket is over is when I have seen everything I needed to see.  So with that being said, no April postings for 2016...or at least I hope not.

As for the lists themselves, I'm still on the fence as to whether Netflix original films should be a category or not since I don't include tv movies.  But that doesn't stop the fact that Ridiculous 6 is god awful and would have been my number 4 if I did include it.  The best list is great choice wise, but I feel like my descriptions were a tad repetitive and rushed.  Blame that on the procrastination a bit to be honest, but not again.  I will try harder next time.  Especially since I've been pre-writing a lot for 2016 due to knowing how busy my life has been as of late.

Well there you have it on my part.  Four years of retrospectives.  This thread has come a long way.  Fear not my friends as December is only three days away now.  Can't promise as to when you will see content from me, but I'm aiming to have a repeat of 2015 with the Worst TV Shows of 2016 list up first.  So until then, thank you for joining along for the ride.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Clappy said:

Zero problems with my worst list as hard as it was to compose (and also hard to read because it kept crashing my phone with all those videos Kat :P

Again, I apologize :Laugh: 

Ranking all the songs from 1-100 looks like it takes a bunch of effort. But hey if it works for you and Wumbo I might have to steal it too :troll: 

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 1

Well it's December 1st.  You know what that means?

CLAPPY'S WORST TELEVISION SHOWS OF 2016

And just like last year, I felt television was great once more in 2016.  As more and more quality programming increasingly took up my television time, I think it's safe to say we are living in a renaissance era of television programming.  But just like the years before, it's not without it's fair share of stinkers and guess what I'm going to cover first?  Let's get the ball rolling with a few dishonorable mentions first.

Fuller House (Netflix)

Honestly putting this on here isn’t really fair.  As a matter of fact, for a dishonorable mention, I do kinda like this.  It’s cheesetastic at times to be honest.  It knows who its audience is, just like the original, and doesn’t want to try anything different.  But that last sentence kind of puts it to rest as to why I’m placing it here.  I want it to do something different and maybe Season 2 will change that, but for now I can’t help but feel Season 1 is a disappointment after rewatching this in preparation for Season 2.  The kids are barely established as characters, the adults are incredibly childish, and the callbacks to the original are forced as hell.  As a matter of fact, they are even worse after rewatching from all the mean spirited Michelle/Olsen Twins referenes, the never ending catchphrases, everything…just everything about Steve Hale.  I hope Season 2 is better because I know it’s going to end up being more of the same if the trailers are anything to show for.  But in terms of how much better, I want it to at least try to differentiate itself a bit for the sake of its audience.

The Walking Dead (AMC)

Honestly, I'm not sure if this should be on here or not.  I'm hoping placing it as a dishonorable mention might help get their shit together because producers obviously view my lists as law...duh.  But no, if you want me to get serious for a minute, 6B/7A is just far more frustrating than it should be and has been irritating to sit through as everyone from AMC is just toying with their audiences week in and week out from dragging along plots unnecessarily to that incredible copout to end the season and start the next.  I still like this show and will keep on watching, but the amounts of shit I can take right now from this series is very much starting to push my patience and the plummeting viewership as of late is showing that I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Scott Gimple, Greg Nicotero, Robert Kirkman...whoever else is involved with this constant fucking around that has been going on as of late.  Fix it.

The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

I’ll give it this, at least I see some sense of change finally coming to this show, but I’m starting to sense it might be too little too late for this.  It may still be the number one comedy in America, but at what cost…literally.  I'll honestly be surprised if 2017 isn't the last year for this mega hit sitcom.  But hopefully someone puts an end to this sooner rather than later because it's long past time for it to be put out to pasture.  No bazinga.

Teen Titans Go (Cartoon Network)

If I watched more than two episodes this year, it would definitely be on the worst list.  It’s not worth beating a dead horse that I’ve already beaten pretty badly over the past year.  I don’t need to say anymore.  Next.

The Voice (NBC)

This show isn’t about the talent anymore.  It’s all about the judges.  Which really pisses me off because if that’s what keeps this “talent show” afloat these days, then why the hell have talent at all?  Make it about the judges squawking at each other because that’s all this is anymore: The Blake Shelton/Adam Levine show.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let’s Do The Time Warp Again (Fox)

While everything else on this worst list frustrates me to no end, this was without a doubt the biggest disappointment I saw on network television in 2016.  Sure I’m just as glad as everyone else to have Tim Curry grace my television screen once more, but everything else was irredeemably bland and mediocre.  Not a single performer tried to make the iconic parts their own and not a single one seemed to attempt to care about what they were doing.  I wouldn’t judge this as hard if it wasn’t for the fact that I love the original and it’s one of my favorite movies ever.  But this just straight up pissed me off.

Skip and Shannon: Undisputed (FS1)

Only Trophy and Fa would probably get this being on here.  Once again showing that the sports commentating world troll Skip Bayless would get paid 5 million to have his own insufferable show for nearly three hours every weekday.  It wouldn’t be nearly as bad if they didn’t talk about the Dallas Cowboys at least once per hour each of those days.  Give it a fucking break guys.  Next.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) (Cartoon Network)

Man look at that 3.6 rating on IMDB.  This should be on my worst list by all accounts…right?  Honestly, this is starting to improve a bit.  Granted when I say improve, I mean I saw a couple episodes and declared it a waste of time, then watched another one and thought that was actually kind of good.  But when you are comparing this to the original, it doesn’t even come close.  Who knows, maybe 2016 PPG might eventually find its equal footing and stand alone on its own.

The Simpsons (Fox)

This show has become such a bore to talk about.  At least there were no horrendous ratings traps this year.

The Ranch (Netflix)

If I wanted to watch a Montana version of That 70s Show...I would have just watched That 70s Show.  Not even a talented cast like this one can save such bland and dull dialogue and plot points.

Castle (ABC)

I'm glad this series ended when it did because if they followed through with one more season like they were initially planning, it could have been for sure on my worst list just based on the concept of this show without Kate Beckett alone.

Now onto the main list.

Spoiler

10. Lethal Weapon (Fox)

Might as well place number nine on here too.

9. The Exorcist (Fox)

And number eight.

8. Rush Hour (CBS)

If there was one trend I was getting beyond sick of on broadcast television this year, it was making television series adaptations of hit movies.  Not a single one of them worked and honestly I have zero faith that anymore will work in the near future based off trying to modernize them in the present day. 

Lethal Weapon was the best of the three on this list, although that really isn’t saying much.  What I don’t understand is how are people praising this one as good?  I’m probably missing the boat entirely, but this is just another crime drama in a land where we are flooded by them.  The new Riggs and Murtaugh were never going to reach the iconic heights of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, but I feel zero chemistry between the two of them.  Damon Wayans feels like he is being completely underutilized while Clayne Crawford feels like he’s in over his head.  Also can we please stop trying to modernize Lethal Weapon?  This show would have probably been better if it took place in the 80s and 90s like the Lethal Weapon movies are because watching them in a present day setting just feels wrong on so many levels and kills a lot of the charm.  Next.

The Exorcist at least doesn’t try to recreate and rehash the original property, but in a television universe where we are slowly rediscovering how to incorporate horror elements into our television, The Exorcist is not even that scary.  It just feels like it’s slowly and slowly building up to a potential climax somewhere down the line, but it’s boring me to tears.  Lots of jump scares and lots of missed opportunities at trying to keep my interest.  Once again, this is getting praised out the wazoo.  I don’t get it.  This is honestly a show that could have been slightly more inspired by the property it’s based off of, but doesn’t.  Next.

Rush Hour is the worst of them all though.  This is just something that had zero reason to exist and honestly baffles me as to what they were even thinking over there at CBS.  They probably thought, oh Fox is developing all of these movies into television series, we should beat them to the punch.  This project felt rushed from the start and everything about it feels horrifically forced.  It’s not funny, it’s not enticing.  It’s just flat out boring.  I honestly may look back at this worst list and place this show much higher in hindsight because it pisses me off that much more than the other two.  But as of right now, I think these next seven are that much worse.

Spoiler

Speaking of CBS:

7. Mom (CBS)

I still can’t stand this wretched show, but what Mom did this year in particular had one of the biggest ratings grabs I’ve ever witnessed.  Quite possibly worse than The Walking Dead Negan’s bat sequence.  They had the audacity to kill off a character in an attempt to express how serious teenage alcohol and drug addiction is today.  Which I totally understand why people would be shocked by it and consider the show brave to take such a stance.  But let me put this in perspective here.  Mom has always been such a tasteless show to the point where they’ve joked about death due to alcohol and drugs constantly in the past in an attempt for laughs.  What Chuck Lorre did this year reminds me a ton of Seth MacFarlane making a domestic abuse episode of Family Guy in an attempt to remind their viewing public that they can be serious.  While Family Guy’s “Screams of Silence” is far worse than Mom’s “Diabetic Lesbians and a Blushing Bride”, it’s still along the same lines of just thinking they should not be doing an episode on such a serious subject.

This show isn’t ranked just based off one episode though, this show still flat out sucks just in case you all forgot.

Spoiler

Speaking of which…I’m getting VERY sick of beating a dead horse.  Surprised there hasn’t been a cutaway of that in recent years.

Dead whale...I'm sorry, my point still stands.

6. Family Guy (Fox)

I don’t care how tired you guys are of seeing it on here.  I’m equally as tired of watching it.  I just can’t look away no matter how hard I try because of how many years I’ve spent wasted loving this show.  Some part of me keeps hoping deep down that Seth MacFarlane will come to his senses and give this show the proper send off it deserves, but he still wants to keep making as much money as possible off of it.  Which I don’t blame him, but at least TRY dammit.  American Dad is still making quality episodes over at TBS because you are trying.  You just seem to have given up hope on Family Guy ever becoming good again and for the show that made you famous, you deserve to treat it better than you are right now.  While there hasn’t been any out right offensive episodes of this show this year worth mentioning, most of the episodes lately are either side plots turned into main focal points or lazy retreads of previous episodes.  That’s all there is to say about how limp and lifeless Family Guy has become now.  Sure they still go for shock humor because why wouldn’t Family Guy go for the lowest brow, they’ve been doing it for years now in an attempt to stay relevant.  But Family Guy isn’t relevant anymore.  The viewership keeps flailing like The Simpsons and Fox can’t seem to take a damn hint that it is beyond time for them to put an end to the two of them until the pennies are completely dry.  And you wonder why Fox is the worst of the Big 4 broadcast networks running today.  Next.

Spoiler

Oh Patrick Warburton.  What is there not to love about this guy?  His deep booming voice and his deadpan delivery is just so beloved by me that it’s hard for me to put his most recent show on my worst list this year.

5. Crowded (NBC)

If it means anything, Patrick Warburton is the best part of this show.  Honestly I don’t have a problem with any of the actors.  It’s great to see Miranda Cosgrove in a sitcom again after taking on lesser roles the past few years.  Same goes for Stacy Keach.  The problem is the half assed premise and the half assed writing.  A show about two millennials moving back in with their parents as well as their grandparents could have been hilarious.  Especially with all the talent involved.  But once again, no effort was put into this and what we got was just a waste of everyone’s time.  If you are trying to be a modern day, less childish Full House, that’s one thing.  But what Full House…hell even Fuller House has that makes it work is at least a burst of energy.  This is limp, lifeless, and dull.

Spoiler

One thing television is doing right now that I’m mixed on is pulling out nostalgic properties to try and revitalize them in the present.  Honestly, plenty of them have been sticking for me, but then you have colossal misfires like:

4. MacGyver (CBS)

…and out of all the nostalgic properties that could have worked in the present, THIS could have worked very well.  The original MacGyver is so cheesy ridiculous, yet action packed that this could have definitely worked wonders in 2016.  All they needed to do is keep it simple stupid, yet they overcomplicated something that didn’t need to be that complex.   I mean you have a freaking member of the X-Men (Lucas Till) as your star and you somehow managed to make him dull as dirt.  You have a decent television supporting cast and they are just standing around doing nothing.  How the hell did they fuck this remake up so badly?  Boring is too nice of a compliment for a show this uninspiring.  Next.

Spoiler

This show got renewed for a second season already.  How?

3. Legends of Chamberlain Heights (Comedy Central)

I already briefly teased that I hate this, but let me elaborate on how much I hate this.  I at least understood why some of the failed adult cartoons in the post-South Park slot existed.  I don’t get why this show exists at all.  Maybe ten years ago when content like this use to be popular, but this 20fucking16.  This animation is hideously appalling to look at and it’s not even trying to push the boundaries with its content like South Park does now.  The characters aren’t remotely interesting and are entirely unrelatable.  The plots aren’t even worth discussing because they are so tastelessly half assed.  But the biggest offense this show has is that it’s boring.  At least try to shock me.  Your animation is already shockingly horrible enough, do something with it dammit.

Oh and this was renewed for a second season.  Because it clearly has earned it…wait, what?  I was told on the XAT the other night that this was renewed even before it debuted?  What the hell is wrong with network television these days?

Spoiler

You all knew this was coming the moment you saw “Chloe”, which is indeed a trigger warning around these parts.

2. The Fairly Oddparents (Nick)

If placing it on my number one worst spot two years ago was me being done, this right here is the final straw.  Out of the goodness of my heart, I kept having faith that someday this show would figure itself out like SpongeBob before it.  Both of these shows are two of my top ten favorite cartoons of all time back when they were in their prime.  SpongeBob seems to at least be trying again.  The Fairly Oddparents have been constantly rebooting themselves in hopes of giving the show a fresh new edge for nearly ten years now.  That’s a longer amount of time than the amount of years this show was in its prime.  The amount of excuses this show has are all gone.  What exactly is there to milk from this show anymore?  You’ve already gotten rid of characters you’ve spent SEASONS developing in an attempt to try and make the show seem fresh, but when in all reality, you’re doing the same awful shit you were doing while characters like Poof and Sparky still existed.  They still have to shoe horn a Timmy’s Dad is a fucking moron subplot, a Denzel Crocker is batshit insanely stupid subplot, pathetic references to modern day culture (DUCKLIPS!  APPS!  #FINDMEFUNNY2K16).  But the least they could have done is give Chloe a reason to exist on this show and they can’t even do that right.  What is the purpose of Chloe having Fairy Godparents?  I’m still waiting for a reason for us to like her nearly one year after introducing her because they already did a horrible job at that.  Not to mention that there is literally no reason to like Timmy anymore because he has become such an ungrateful little shit.  Leave this show in the dust with whatever dignity this show has left.  I can’t believe people are being paid millions of dollars to keep this show alive.

a3ef19e16321b5a2ee429f6428e641e2.jpg

You use to be. Fuck you Nickelodeon.  You really are The Life Support Network.

Spoiler

What prevented FOP from becoming the first two time winner of my coveted spot (and I do mean coveted, every show wants to be Clappy’s worst of the year)?  How about quite possibly the worst animated show I’ve seen in years.  Yes, worse than TTG.  Worse than Pickle and Peanut.  Worse than that former shell of itself FOP.  And it can only come from the mind of someone who I am trying to find some sort of respect for now a days that I once had.

1. Bordertown (Fox)

Seth MacFarlane, let’s talk about controversy.  This is clearly quite the word you want your shows to become now.  Controversy is a disagreement, typically when prolonged, public, and heated.  It’s trying to push boundaries to make a stance or a statement for your viewers.  Family Guy was once controversial, but lately seems to mistake controversial as crass and desperate.  This.  This was worse than modern day Family Guy.  This clearly got all of your focus as you tried to make a show that was bleeding for controversy based off the premise alone.  What we got was something so ill-served.  So horrendously executed and something that constantly mistook “controversial” as disgustingly lazy.  You had all the jokes handed to you on a silver platter but you mistook poorly timed anti humor as topical humor.  This show is fucking atrocious.  I despise this not just for what it was trying to be, but for not even having the balls to try and push our knowledge of “controversial”.  Once upon a time, Seth MacFarlane use to know what controversy is.  But not, he just wants to cash in his millions and millions of “hard earned” dollars to be a shell of himself.  Just when I thought modern day Family Guy could be the epitome of lifeless and limp, Bordertown existed.  Good riddance.

• Like 7

Totally agree with you on Fuller House. I hope season 2 is a step up because while there are things I liked about it, it seemed incredibly half-baked in its execution. Also get rid of Steve. Please. I liked Steve and DJ as a couple on the original show but his character grates on my nerves here.

• Like 1

lmao here are my late thoughts on my 2015 shizz

Well, 2015 was when I almost gave up the year-end thing for good. A year and a half later, I'm glad I didn't because after 30 years covered or so, the end is in sight like never before. I was just in a bad spot and had to take some time to get out of it. On the plus side, I finally figured out a formula that works, in which I post the full list after my best list so that I don't have to say where it placed on the chart, only my thoughts on each song. And after 1995, it's a formula I still use to this day. What can I say? A year later, it still works.

Honestly, regarding my best and worst lists, nothing really changed. I think this is the one i'm most proud of so far as far as recent years go, and I'm hoping to outdo even that with this year! so enough retrospective. Bring on the year-end list!

...any day now...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Katniss said:

Totally agree with you on Fuller House. I hope season 2 is a step up because while there are things I liked about it, it seemed incredibly half-baked in its execution. Also get rid of Steve. Please. I liked Steve and DJ as a couple on the original show but his character grates on my nerves here.

Doubt Steve will be dropped that easily since he seems to be just as relevant as ever in that Season 2 trailer.  Joy.

Eh, Seth is an executive producer in Bordertown, rather than him putting his vision it. So I can't blame him for this. Still this is created by a Family Guy writer. I've watched first episode and I've seen enough as it is. Lame. Too bad the guy who created this show made Back to the Pilot, which is still one of the finest FG episodes in a while.

I wish FOP stopped existing after season 8. Seriously, not only Chole was enough, they are switching to Flash animation. That's how much the show is pathetic now. I'm glad I stopped watching this shit. No need to give me more headache.

I have no idea why I still continue to watch Family Guy tbh. Unlike season 12-13, most of 14-15 are just not even interested to talk about cuz they are not horrendus, they are boring as hell. I'm glad you are catching on to the show repeating same plots over and over. Cuz that's what they are doing now. Characters do shitty stuff to each other, later in 22 minutes everything is forgiven by hurted characters and the actions the characters caused never happened, add some so called heartwarming scenes sad close ups and dramatic music and there you have a Family Guy episode. ALONG WITH REALLY RANDOM, LIFELESS JOKES!!! At least as much as horrendus season 12 and some of 13 was, they were at least interesting to talk about. Now, I can't even get that much anymore cuz the show is just boredom now. This show deserves to die more than Simpsons.

Btw Seth rarely worked in American Dad and the only thing he does there is voice acting, that's why American Dad is still fresh mostly. Tho he stopped giving shit about FG and left it all to uncreative crew who want this show to be more tasteless than Seth wants to be. :) 

Great list as usual.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:37 PM, Clappy said:

EVERY movie that comes out?  Come on, even I don't see EVERY movie and I sometimes write movie reviews on social media sites and when I have time for them blogs.  That would drive me insane..or at least put a huge dent in my wallet. :P

Well, let's say every wide release/noteworthy release.  I have one way to prevent my wallet from draining.  Working at my grandmother's pharmacy usually provides just enough money to get me through the weekend.