• Advertisement

Best and Worst of Entertainment 2016 Edition: 5th Year Anniversary Special

Clappy

I'm pretty proud of myself. Firstly, I've already redeemed myself from last year by not posting this list in May (smirk) Secondly, I actually saw a lot more movies than I did in 2015. If 2015 was a solid year for music, then 2016 was a solid year for movies. There were so many films that I enjoyed and some that stayed in my heart long after I'd left the theater. And to wrap up my entertainment lists, I'm happy to share my opinions with y'all.

Sadly, not all the films I adored could make the cut for the top 10, so here's some honorable mentions first:

Spoiler

Everybody Wants Some!!

Dazed and Confused is one of my favorite movies. It’s a hilarious look at a day in the life of a bunch of high schoolers in 1970s. And Richard Linklater manages to score again with this “spiritual sequel” to Dazed. It doesn’t have much of a plot besides the fact that it focuses on a group of college baseball players the weekend before school starts, but I don’t mind. The vibe of the film is so chill and the characters are so fun and likeable, thanks to the good ensemble cast. Not to mention it has a killer soundtrack of late 70s/early 80s tunes. I never thought I’d adore and care for a group of fictional jocks who like chasing skirts and partying, but I guess that’s the magic of Richard Linklater for ya. This movie is such a charming and fun slice-of-life film.

Deadpool

I might have bought into the hype too much and set too-high expectations for myself, because I didn’t absolutely love this movie. However, that doesn’t mean it wasn’t good. Deadpool is a very funny superhero movie that pokes fun at the various cliches of the superhero genre, feeling like something fresh and fun. Ryan Reynolds is an excellent fit for Deadpool, delivering his fourth-wall busting and sarcastic demeanor well. Though the best part of the movie for me was Brianna Hildebrand’s snarky Negasonic Teenage Warhead. I loved her character and am excited she’ll be in the sequel. While not all the jokes land perfectly for me and the villain wasn’t that memorable, I still had fun with this.

Hail, Caesar!

The latest film from the Coen Brothers is a delight. As someone who has an interest in old Hollywood history, I enjoyed how real-life figure Edward Mannix, who helps “fix” scandals that Hollywood stars get involved in, was incorporated into the plot. The cast is stacked with talent and fortunately the actors and actresses are used well. I especially got a kick out of the glimpses of fictional films we see throughout the movie. This film is a light, fun, humorous tribute to classic Hollywood.

Sing Street

This movie made me feel so warm and fuzzy inside after I finished watching it. It’s a sweet musical about a boy who forms a band to impress a girl and ends up falling in love and getting invested in music. The songs written for this music are infectiously catchy and groovy, especially “Drive it Like You Stole It.” Perhaps the movie hits a few familiar beats from other teen stories, but I still found myself endeared to the characters and even the romantic plot. It’s a lovely film with plenty of heart.

Loving

It would’ve been easy to make this a highly dramatic court drama focused on the Loving v. Virginia case for interracial marriage. Instead, Loving is a quietly powerful, sweet film about a white man and a black woman who only want to live happily as a married couple. Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga have good chemistry together and Negga brings an especially talented performance. The story of Richard and Mildred Loving is one that needs to be heard and I’m glad these people were able to tell it.

Moana

With music by Lin-Manuel Miranda and the Rock as one of the voice actors, you can’t go wrong, right? Happily, I can say that these are two elements in the recipe for another fine Disney movie. Moana is a fun adventure with amazing animation, cool references to Polynesian culture, and some pretty good (and catchy af) songs. But what I truly love about this film are the main characters, Moana and Maui. Moana is an awesome Disney princess. She’s headstrong but not afraid to be goofy, and she gets some nice character development too, while Maui is cocky and hilarious yet also has a backstory that makes you sympathize with him. It doesn't dethrone Beauty and the Beast as my favorite Disney princess movie, but it's still pretty great.

Don't Think Twice

I didn’t have any particular expectations for this film but I was hoping for some degree of quality since Keegan-Michael Key and Gillian Jacobs are in it. And I ended the film feeling pleasantly surprised! It’s an interesting look at success in the entertainment world, how it can change people and the jealousy you can feel when your peers become more successful than you. I thought the improv scenes were fun and the relationships between the friends seemed so real. It’s a raw, poignant, funny film that I ended up falling in love with.

10 Cloverfield Lane

Let’s flashback to 2008 for a minute, shall we? Barack Obama was just elected as our first black president, I entered my final year of middle school, and the movie Cloverfield was released. I didn’t care about the movie back then, and I still haven’t seen it to this day. However, this second film in the franchise piqued my interest. And it definitely did not disappoint. 10 Cloverfield Lane is a compelling psychological thriller that wonderfully creates a tense and suspenseful atmosphere. It certainly helps that John Goodman puts on a chillingly good performance that kept me guessing as to whether he was being legit about there being aliens or if he was just crazy. Though Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Gallagher, Jr certainly hold their own against him. And the fact that Damien Chazelle wrote the screenplay, which I loved for helping flesh out and develop the three main characters, is the cherry on top.

Lion

The first half of this film is fantastic. I was so endeared to the child version of Saroo, played by the adorable Sunny Pawar. I really felt for this young boy as he struggled with being separated from his family and feeling lost. And I give major props to Dev Patel for giving a fine performance as adult Saroo in the second half. He was so determined and passionate about finding his biological family that it made my heart ache. This film definitely knew how to pull at my heartstrings but not in a sappy, oversentimental way. I also enjoyed Nicole Kidman as Saroo’s adoptive mom. Her monologue near the end of the film almost had me in tears. Lion is the heartbreaking journey of a boy lost in the world, but ultimately transforms into something more hopeful and beautiful.

And now for your feature presentation. Grab some popcorn and enjoy:

Kat's Top 10 Best Films of 2016

Spoiler

10. Jackie

Jackie Kennedy has long been a fascinating figure in American history. Not only was she wife to one of the most notable presidents, but she was also a popular style icon. However, Pablo Larraín’s biopic peels back the layers on a woman struggling after witnessing her husband’s assassination. Natalie Portman gives a fine performance as Jackie, slipping into the role of a woman trying to be poised and wanting to honor her husband’s legacy while grieving at the same time. She is in every single scene and it’s a testament to her stellar acting ability that I’m captivated the entire time she’s on screen instead of getting sick of her. Jackie is a beautifully unconventional biopic that won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I fell in love with it.

Spoiler

9. The Nice Guys

What is it about the 70s that gives us such fun movies set in that time period? There's Dazed and Confused, American Hustle, and now this. Before The Nice Guys, the only Shane Black film I'd seen was Iron Man 3. That film is ok, but The Nice Guys is really entertaining. Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe work well together and provide a lot of laughs. I was especially impressed by Ryan Gosling. He may have gotten award season buzz for his role in La La Land, but I think he gives his best work in this movie. I also loved the actress who played his daughter, who almost stole the show at some points.

The 1970s setting works well without the period details being too kitschy, the crime develops at an intriguing pace, and the action is interesting to watch The Nice Guys is more than just nice. It’s pretty damn good.

Spoiler

8. Captain America: Civil War

One of the reasons why The Avengers is such a good movie is because of the way it shows a bunch of heroes coming together as a team. And Civil War is great because it makes an interesting story out of tearing them apart. I admire this movie for focusing on deeper themes than simply saving the world. I thought I would be fully Team Cap the whole time but Tony and Steve both made good arguments for/against the Sokovia Accords and how much accountability heroes should take. In addition, I liked the way Peter and T’Challa were introduced. Tom Holland has already won me over as his adorably dorky Spidey (and had good rapport with Tony) and T’Challa was great—makes me really looking forward to their solo films.

Superhero films can be hit or miss, but this one was fantastic. It has great action scenes, a villain with an interesting backstory (even though I'm typical Marvel fashion, he didn't end up being that great of a villain), and some nice emotional moments. I don't know what the next wave of Marvel films will bring, but after this, I'm excited.

Spoiler

7. The Edge of Seventeen

When I was a teen Kat, John Hughes movies were everything. I owned Pretty in Pink on DVD and watched it so many times. I’d try to catch The Breakfast Club whenever it was airing on TV, and I thought Ferris Bueller’s Day Off was super cool. Therefore, this movie was a real treat for me. It’s a coming-of-age story that feels true to life about the struggles of being a teenager. Hailee Steinfeld knocks it out of the park here. Even in scenes where I didn’t like her character, I still appreciated the quality of her performance. Another standout is Woody Harrelson as Nadine’s snarky history teacher. This film has plenty of humor, but also plenty of heart and moments that make you ache and sympathize with Nadine. It sucks that this film wasn’t more popular but I hope that in a few year it becomes a cult classic.

Spoiler

6. Zootopia

Between Moana and Zootopia, 2016 was a winning year for Walt Disney Animation Studios. However, while Moana did have great songs, characters, and animations, I gotta give the edge to Zootopia for its story. Using animals and the predator vs. prey issue to illustrate a story about racism and prejudice was absolutely brilliant. Rather than hitting viewers over the head with ideas, Zootopia explores the theme in smart and nuanced ways.

But that’s not the only reason why this movie is awesome. Nick and Judy are great characters who I enjoyed seeing work together as a buddy cop duo and the mystery is quite interesting. The worldbuilding for Zootopia was pretty cool as well--you can tell that animators do their research so they can craft settings with care.

If for some reason you haven’t seen this movie, do so. If you have, see it again. It’s such a wonderful, important film.

Spoiler

5. Arrival

Sci-fi isn’t my least favorite film genre, but it’s not one that I tend to watch a lot of films of. However, Arrival is an exception. It’s absolutely fantastic. Amy Adams portrays her linguistic character well, with childlike wonder, while also grappling with the loss of her daughter. She gives a nuanced performance that pulls you in. The cinematography and special effects are also stunning and immersed me further into this world. This is a slow burn of a film, which I know may turn some off, but is what I loved about the film. It doesn’t need high-speed films or action. I won’t spoil the twist, though the way it unfolds is excellent. It genuinely surprises you but also makes sense when you think back on the film and connect the dots.

Arrival is a smart, intriguing sci-fi film that really left me thinking. The experience of watching this film was something out of this world, to pardon the pun.

Spoiler

4. Hell or High Water

Compared to a lot of the other films on this list, Hell or High Water was something that went under my radar at first. But man am I glad I discovered this gem. Hell or High Water is a excellent modern spin on the western. Jeff Bridges is good (c’mon, it’s Jeff Bridges) but I was more impressed by Chris Pine and Ben Foster. I believe the chemistry of their brotherly bond and can’t help rooting for them even though they’re committing crimes. That’s the beauty of this story: how gray the lines of morality are. Chris and Ben’s characters have good intentions behind their crimes, while Jeff Bridges’s cop isn’t a goody two-shoes. Yes, there are shootouts, but there’s also well-written dialogue and a good dose of tension simmering throughout. It’s a film that had me on the edge of the seat and captivated the entire time.

Spoiler

3. La La Land

La La Land feels like a sweet dream. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful, and the musical numbers, besides being great songs, are choreographed masterfully. At the heart of it are two dreamers whose chemistry sparkles thanks to Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, who look so comfortable and natural together after working on two other films together. It’s clear that Damian Chazelle adores old Hollywood musicals because this reads like such a grand love letter to the genre. It may not be my favorite movie of 2016, but damn it if it isn’t one of the most enjoyable.

Spoiler

2. Manchester by the Sea

This movie was like an emotional punch to the gut. It’s a harrowing tale of loss as well as facing personal demons from the past. The acting is top-notch. Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams were phenomenal and Lucas Hedges better become a rising star after his because he was great too. Behind these fantastic performances is a masterful screenplay from director Kenneth Lonergan that manages to infuse humor at certain times without it taking away from the powerful emotions of the story. It’s a heart-wrenching story that’s so, so good.

My #1 film left me at a loss for words after I first watched it. I just couldn't believe a movie like this existed. It was so amazing that I almost wondered how I was going to write a review that wasn't incoherent gushing over how much I loved it. But I found my words, and I'm pleased to say my favorite film of 2016 is...

Spoiler

1. Moonlight

Barry Jenkins has created an absolute masterpiece. Moonlight is an engrossing story of Chiron during three pivotal stages in his life: childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. Jenkins is a great storyteller, weaving moments together to help tell Chiron’s tale. Naomie Harris and Mahershala Ali are too good, holy crap, and so are the three actors who portray Chiron, with a special tip of my hat to adult Chiron (Trevante Rhodes). The evolving relationship between Chiron and Kevin is dealt with in such a beautiful and moving way. The cinematography is gorgeous and plays with blue hues throughout the film as a nod to the play Moonlight is based on, In Moonlight Black Boys Turn Blue.

Moonlight is a marvelous, intimate coming-of-age story about a gay black man as he slowly comes into his own identity. If this film was a person I’d love it with all my heart. It's a great example of why I admire film and is perfect marriage of style and substance.

• Like 3

Clappy posted on friday, Katniss posted on Satuday, now it's my turn :smirk: 

I'm finally letting go of 2016 with this list. I'm pretty proud of this list more than my 2015 list. Not just because I managed to see more movies, I think 2016 has been such a good year for movies. Yeah there weren't enough memorable blockbusters but as for some of other genres of films, this year has been quite excellent for them. So I'm happy to present to you this list but at first.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Spoiler

Sausage Party: This is quite controversial to put this one on honorable mentions. Not just because I know some people will think this movie is really dumb and immature, It also has quite fans that they are gonna be disappointed that it's not on the list. As for me, the movie is pretty interesting to think about it. I actually do love adult animation and I wish more people would give it a chance because there are tons of gems you can find but there's also the fact that I wish american adult animation would have more variety. I don't just want some edgy comedy, I really would like other genres to be used in adult animation. So being an edgy comedy movie, I do have problems with the humor of this one. There are some jokes that I laughed for sure but I wish there would be more clever jokes than just swearing and stereotyping. But I think the plot of this movie is more clever than the trailers make it look such a dumb movie. It's not just a clever satire on Disney and Pixar animation, it's a clever satire of religion and how it effects all of us. Some people might say this movie is anti-religious but I disagree. I think it's that respect each other's believes and in the end, just enjoy your life while you can. This movie isn't really for everyone. If you hate edgy comedies, you won't dig this one but if you are looking for a pretty nice satire on religion, I think this movie is good for you.

The Conjuring 2: I didn't love this one as much as first movie but still this was a worthy of a sequel. What I loved about this is that even though this movie uses other tropes and scares of some other movies, the movie is still it's own thing and it's even different than first movie. The scares are so much fun and Warren couple had such great chemistry and they really cared for each other. What I have problem with this movie is that it's demon and I won't spoil it for you but I have no idea of demon's intentions. Why would it terrorize the family just for someone in the movie. It just makes no sense to me and how it managed to get itself defeated was so nonsense, that took me out of the movie. That being said, this is still such a great horror flick to check out. For James Wan's last horror movie, I assume, he ended his horror movies with a bang.

Lights Out: Here's another such a great horror movie to include on honorable mentions. Although the scares of this movie aren't that effective for me, the scares were still a joy to watch and I loved how it still managed to kept me entertained for same scary jump scare. That's an applaud. And story felt so original for me. Yeah, it's from a short but it managed to have such an engaging story and it was impressive how it tackled abusive relationship so well. Definitely a must watch for horror fans.

Star Trek Beyond: Although I felt like this movie didn't blow me away like the first Star Trek did, this is one of the most memorable blockbusters of the year. While the story isn't that impressive, the character study, the action and visuals make this movie so much fun for me. For someone who made Fast and Furious movies, this movie didn't even feel like Fast and Furious. Infact, it felt the most Star Trek out of all reboot movies. I didn't watch the original show but It definitely had more elements of the original show than J.J. Abrams movies. I still feel like this won't win most of Star Trek fans but if you are looking for a good time, this movie is for you.

Doctor Strange: Marvel Cinematic Universe continues to impress me with these type of movies. Even though it does have MCU cliches like saving the world and comedy thrown in it, this movie is still compelling. I can't think of other person than Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange and other actors did a great job with their roles. Yeah, I still hated the whitewashing in this movie but everything else, besides some hand to hand combat scenes being weak, was so great to watch. The visiuals are something to be praised more than anything else in the movie tho cuz visiuals blew me away and I hope it wins oscar for best visual effects. I know it most likely won't over but I can't think of any other movie this year that blow my mind with visuals like Doctor Strange did.

Deadpool: As much as I'd love to put this movie on the list, the criticism of this movie is valid. I didn't mind it that much but the problems of making fun of cliches, yet still using cliches of revenge and love stories, a bland villain and epic climax scnee, are there. That being said, this movie was still ::dolphin noise::ing gold. The 4th wall breaks were so funny, the action is lit and characters are just joy to watch. I knew Ryan Reynolds would be such a perfect Deadpool. There's no one in this reality that can play Deadpool, other than Ryan Reynolds. He captures the wit of Deadpool so well. If he was in Deadpool costume or not, I would love to sit on his lap.

P.S. Ryan Reynolds, you do have a nice bum, don't ever forget that.

Just check out this movie plz.

Moonlight: This movie didn't hit me so hard as much as I wanted it to but still darn it, it hit me hard for sure. It was such a beautiful coming of age story of a boy who is dealing with his harsh neighbourhood, sexuality and people he's closest to. It's hard to not feel so bad for him. I pretty much loved almost everything about this movie. I loved how it was told in 3 parts with him as a kid, teenager and adult, the drama was compelling, his relationship with his crush was so sweet, cinematorgraphy was so beautiful and all actors who portrayed our main character did a fantastic job. And Mahershalla Ali, please win an oscar. I loved him as Cottenmouth in Luke Cage and I certainly loved him in this movie. His future look so bright man. I definitely recommend you guys to check this movie out. It definitely feels so oscar-ish but in a good way.

Don't Breathe: Seriously, can I just say horror genre has been so amazing in 2016? Not just The Conuring 2 and Lights out. The ones that aren't on honorable mentions, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Hush and Before I Wake (crap, are these all Mike Flanagan movies?), are also worth to check out for sure but this movie at least deserved to be on honorable mentions, due to it being such an amazing thrill ride. It's so refreshing to see a horror movie that is about people who break in someone's house and deal with whoever stays in the house and this movie did an excellent job at that. Even the antagonist of this movie has clear motivations of all this and even though his actions are certainly wrong, It's understable why would he do such horrible things. You will absolutely hold your breathe, while watching this.

Deepwater Horrizon: Yeah, It's most likely Academy won't be able to nominate all of these great drama thrillers for best picture or best actor but still I feel like this movie does have fans for a good reason. This movie was just so intense to watch. It is based on real life story but it definitely captured that feeling of the horrible event so well and it definitely made me care for the main character of the movie. Mark Wahlberg can play whatever real life hero he can. He's just so good at it. I was definitely on edge of my seat during this movie. It managed to be such an interesting thriller, while it respected those who dealt with this horrible event. I'm at least happy that this got nomination for best sound effects and visual effects. The movie deserved it's recognition for sure.

Popstar: Never Stop Popping: Now I'm not that into music. I certainly love music and I can't live without but I don't love music to the point there are musicians I follow. I just like to listen whoever sounds good and their songs are catchy but this movie definitely introduced me to The Lonely Island, who's such a great comedic band. I adored all songs they made in this movie and I'm sad that one of these songs weren't even nominated for original song in academys. Yeah if more people saw it, it'd get a shot but still I'm disappointed how this was ignored by Academy. As for story, it was definitelty such a great mockumentary on the lives of musicians and their controversys. The humor was mostly so funny and the movie managed to entertain me from start to finish. This movie was definitely an incredible thought to come true (omg, stop with these puns, whobob).

Zootopia: Yeah I know people are gonna piss me off for not including this movie on the list. Tbh it was just hard to not put some of these movies on the list because 2016 was such a great year for movies. And there are 2 animated movies that I just enjoyed more, not gonna lie. But this movie is not gonna be ignored by me for it's impressive story. These days, we have been seeing more movies or tv episodes of the show with tackling racism and I applaud people for tackling that issue so well but I don't think none did as perfect job at Zootopia. What I really loved was that the racism, stereotyping and prejudge existed both predators and prey animals. It didn't make one of them look worse than other. The movie put both predator and prey's prejudge into wrong spot. I think it's very important for kids to learn about these issues that happening in the world, so they can become more careful than us but also entertain them with pretty funny lines and good characters that will become their role model in the future. So please just check this movie out. As a young adult, I deinitely learned a lot from this.

10 Cloverfield Lane: Not gonna lie, this was on #10 before I saw my last movie to include on the list, so very funny, isn't it? tongue.png

Anyway, this isn't exactly a horror movie, it's more of a thriller but I'd lie if I didn't get scared watching this. John Goodman really scared the crap out of me in his role and It suck that I wish he'd get more recognition with his marvelous role but then again, lots of actors were impressive, so there will always be left outs sigh. But really he made this movie such a great horror movie. The movie is mostly on one place but it knew how to kept me edge on my seat and not get bored for a second. I know third act didn't impress some people but I thought it worked just well enough for me. Not as much as first and second act but still it was awesome. I seriously can't wait for next Cloverfield movie to come out.

with these are out of the way, lets start this list.

DR. WHOBOB'S TOP 10 BEST MOVIES OF 2016

Spoiler

#10 Hell or High Water

wow this movie came out in summer and most of great recieved small summer films didn't get a shot at oscars but this one did. But who am I complaining? This movie was awesome and it definitely deserved to be nominated for oscars. Just like how I felt about Mad Max Fury Road, the plot of this movie was simple but it was still engaging enough to make it such a compelling movie. You can totally get the intentions of the main characters of this movie who rob banks and you definitely feel for the cops of this movie. They did an excellent job at humanizing the robbers and making Jeff Bridge as a cop who kind of stereotypes native americans but he still cares so much for his native american parter and his parter was definitely such a great character. While it's kind of a blow burn, the stakes of the movie are pretty high and you just want robbers to be successful at the end. Speaking of them, they were brothers and they definitely had a great dynamic. Despite their disagreements, they still love each other and it's pretty sweet, especially considering they are kind of like my twin brother and I lmao. I didn't see Chris Pine, outside of Star Trek movies but so far this was his best role for sure and I wish Ben Foster would get nominated for best supporting actor, instead of Jeff Bridges. Not that Jeff Bridges wasn't good. He was good but Ben Foster's performance made this movie for me. Also this is a western drama, so it's nice to see that genre is still alive, even though this is kind of my first western movie (not including Back to the Future 3 lol). So yeah, this movie definitely deserved this praise.

Spoiler

here's another coming of age movie that hit me so hard.

#9 The Edge of Seventeen

Man, I'm so in shock that this movie didn't get a nomination from oscars. At least they could have nominated Hailee Steinfeld for best actress >=(. Seriously she was excellent in this movie. She is one of those teenagers who is just bitter to the world and wants it burn in hell (coughcoughcoughcoughmecoughcoughcoughcough) but after everything that she has been through, it totally makes sense why she'd feel so depressed and jerk to everyone. The movie does a great job at symphazing with her, while also making us laugh as it goes on. Tho this was more of a drama than comedy-drama for me, the comedy was still there and I loved it. You can't also go wrong with the teacher in the movie. He is a sarcastic and cool type of teacher but you just wanna hug him so badly. I wish I'd see more coming of age movies like this because those movies can be the most relatable movies ever.

Spoiler

#8 Kubo and the Two Strings

I'm still disappointed that Laika animated movies don't get as much money as they deserve. Although it's hypocrital for me to say cuz I saw it online lol but that's because I could't spend my money on all these movies I saw in 2016. Yeah but I wish more people would see these movies because they are mind blowing. I haven't seen Boxtrolls but I was very impressed with Coraline and Paranorman and this movie didn't let me down. If you are looking for such an imaginative action kids movie, here you go. This movie is all about telling a story and it kept me interested through, while also having amazing action scenes, intense scenes for kids animation and comedy to laugh through. The characters were so loveable to watch and the voice acting was so impressive. The animation was phenomenal and I'm glad this movie got nominated for best visuals because of this incredible animation. The next time Laika makes an animation movie, I will completely support those movies because they are impressive.

Spoiler

speaking of movies that don't get recognition.

#7 The Nice Guys

hands down, the best comedy of 2016. You wanted an original movie for a long time, so here you go. Although not all original movies are good but this one was good for sure. I definitely felt like I was watching 70s movies for sure and this movie kept me laughed and kept me entertained with it's amazeballs action scenes. Ryan Gosling continues to be one of the biggest stars of hollywood with quality movies like this and Russel Crowe has an excellent dynamic with him. Both of these characters are just so entertaining and memorable as hell, you wanna fight side by side. And the girl in this movie was excellent. She was wisecracking daughter of Ryan Gosling's character but she still managed to be a sweet kid in this movie and she contributed to this movie. I really have a feeling this will end up being a cult classic because this movie deserves that a lot. And please just make Ryan Gosling to guest star in The Russel Crowe Show, so they can FIGHT AROUND THE WORLD together. smile.png

Spoiler

#6 Moana

Here comes my favorite animated movie of 2016. Just like horror movies, animation was spectacular in 2016. Might as well mention Finding Dory because even if I had a few gripes, that movie was also great but this movie is literally incredible. I sure missed these musical movies by Disney and this one managed to become so memorable. All musical numbers are just so catchy, I have been listenining to them these days. The movie does have Disney tropes, this is still such a compelling movie and feels different from other Disney flicks. I loved how Moana managed to be a great princess without needing a romance and I certainly loved the fact that she was the chosen one in this movie because lets face it. almost all chosen ones end up being male characters, so it was refreshing to see a female chosen one but that doesn't mean she isn't so perfect. She does learn a lot from this journey and she was such good a partner with Maui, who is a demigod but he has his own issues and his development was also sweet. I totally did not expect the twist of the movie, even though it was so obvious from the start but who cares, obvious unpredictability is nice. There's not a single issue I can find in this movie. This and Zootopia managed to make Disney still stay fresh these days.

Spoiler

#5 Captain America: Civil War

I'm certainly not Marvel biased at all. I think this movie deserved all the love it got. Now this is how to make a great superhero battle. Although I'd be fooling that I would say this movie is so perfect. If anything, I absolutely hated Steve Rogers and Shanon Carter becoming a couple in this movie. Certainly not because I want Steve/Bucky ship to be canon. nonononoonononono why would I want that to happen? why would I want Steve to have a boyfriend when he can date his ex's nephew, it's certainly less weird with that way anyway? ha? HA? Ok just no...

SHUT UP ALL OF YOU SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME. GIVE CAPTAIN AMERICA BOYFRIEND, AT LEAST IN COMICS JUST DO IT. PLEASE. UGH, I HATE ALL OF YOU, STOP LOOKING AT MEEEEEEE.

It's because it's just weird to make his ex's nephew as his girlfriend, not the mention that is completely rushed. Idk, that aspect of the movie still pisses me off.

Other than that, no complaints for me whatsoever. The movie knew how to make all members of Avengers divided for good reaons. Almost all of them had some reason to pick sides and that made the airport scene so compelling to watch. Not the mention the airport scene was the best comic book fight of all time for me. I loved how this movie made us care for both sides of the argument. While I'm all #TeamCap, Iron Man's reasons totally makes sense here and as the movie reveals it's big twist, final battle between Iron Man and Captain America become way more intense than anything MCU did it so far. Not the mention, this all happened thanks to Zemo, who is actually such a good villain for MCU. He definitely had motivations and unlike other villains, his goals were so different and that toally made him such a memorable villain. The comedy was also there and yeah, I know people complain about MCU being too quippy but for the most part, I'm okay with this because we all need to laugh eventually and for such a dark movie this is, comedy did help lighten the mood. As for last praise, I loved how this wasn't a typical "lets defeat bad guys and save the world" plot because most of MCU is like that, so this was such a breath of fresh air to see a different superhero story. So yes, these are all the reasons why this movie rocked and MCU continues to be such a great superhero franchise, despite it's issues.

Spoiler

Welp, might as well waste this lovely night with writing about how much I loved

#La La Land

sick of my awful puns yet?

this was my most anticipated movie of 2016 for many reasons. I love musicals, even though I didn't see that much musicals except for musical episodes of tv shows and disney musical animated movies lol, the person who made this made Whiplash and Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are talented actors. That pretty much made me hype for the movie. Sadly it's not exactly my #1 because I felt like this was a slow-burn at times but still this movie impressed me with so many levels. The musical numbers and the instrumental music in this were mind blownly awesome to listen to. It really felt like an old school Hollywood movie. Now I'm not that intro romance but Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone had such sweet chemistry here but the movie was mostly about their dreams and it explored it beautifully. I don't think there's a movie that is better at exploring people's dreams and their struggles to come on top than this movie. It really made me invested and it threw some funny and dramatic moments at me. That ending is definitely the best movie ending of 2016. It couldn't have ended perfectly. I really wish I'd put it at #1 because I feel like this is the most well-written movie of 2016 but it's certainly not the one I loved the most. so that's why it's at #4. Definitely recommended tho. At least watch it once.

Spoiler

Now I'm such a sci-fi geek and it would have shameful for me to not add at least one sci-fi movie on a movie list. 2014 had Edge of Tomorrow, 2015 had The Martian/Predestination and 2016 had...

#3 Arrival

now I haven't seen Prisoners and The Enemy yet but I saw Sicario and that movie showed me Denis Villeneuve had such a great talent but he wowed me with this, so I'll check out Prisoners and The Enemy soon. Arrival seems like an ordinary alien invasion movie but it's not. It's actually opposite of that. This movie is all about communication and I don't see enough stories about that, so seeing a movie about communication really made this movie so original and smart. Now this is a slow-burn movie but I think after first couple of mins, the story gets so much interesting. I really had no idea how this movie would go and it made the movie so exciting. It's shameful that Amy Adams didn't get nominated for best actress because she killed the role in this movie. Her character was one of the best aspects of the movie because she really wants to understand aliens and communicate with them. Her dynamic with Jeremy Renners was also pretty nice. Although I wish Jeremy Renner would have more characterization, Amy Adam's character stole this movie. The visuals were stunning and music and cinematography made the movie so breathtaking. Blade Runner 2049 is in good hands people. No doubt in that.

Spoiler

#2 The Witch

I noticed how critics praised this movie but some people seems to dislike this movie and didn't feel the suspense in it. I suppose it's understandable. This is pretty much a slow burn movie and it's more of a supernatural thriller than horror to me and scares in this movie are rare and they aren't jump scares either. But holy god, I would lie if I didn't say this movie didn't get under my skin. It truly did it man. Usually horror movies use jump scares to scare us pretty quickly. It's good when the scares are legit but It can also be tiresome. So a movie with basicly no jump scares and scares in it are creepy images, the atmosphere and the psychological drama between family managed to disturb me so amazingly. This is what I want in horror movies. Not just setting up the great jump scare, making everything so creepy and put characters against each other. That's what made this movie work so well because I truly felt the suspense in this. I also love how this is a historical movie about christianity during those times. It made the movie so compelling. I really cared for the family through the movie and the movie didn't escape from this whole family slowly being torn apart. It made the movie sadder, creepier and more intense. I wish more people would give this one a chance. This is my favorite horror flick of 2016 and right now one of my favorite horror movies.

Spoiler

Here it is. My #1. This movie managed to hit me way harder than any of these movies. I don't think any movie of 2016 would top this.

#1 Manchester by the Sea

Please for the love of God, give Casey Affleck the oscar. I don't think anyone else deserves more than him in 2016. His perfomance was so damn effective, it truly depressed me. This whole movie is a depression, aka BoJack Horseman of the movies. I'm not a drama fan but this movie killed me. There was no over the top acting or nonsensical drama. The drama in this felt real and heartbreaking. I teared up a lot of times in the movie. That's how saddening this movie is. There's just no stop in heartbreak. Albeit this whole movie is way cynical, it is for a good reason. As you learn through flashback, you learn why Casey's character is so broken in present time but through the flashbacks you do see his lovely relationship with his ex-wife, kids, brother and especially his nephew who also made me tear up man. Idk why I love these depressing type of movies/tv shows, partly because I can be cynical but they work because they understand depression. They don't go over the top with it, the intensity is at some level but even that level is frightening. When I see something dramatic in turkish tv shows, I get annoyed and don't buy it. For the most part, america tv shows and movies seem to get that quite right. I love this movie with a burning passion. I will be so happy if this movie gets the best picture, even though La La Land seems like it's gonna get it but I won't mind if La La Land wins. But really, this movie is just perfect. Please see it. More than any movie of 2016. I was blown away from start to finish.

That's it folks. I hope you all enjoyed reading this list. See you all at the end of 2017 wink.png

Edited by Rachel Bloom
FUCKING EDITS
  • Like 3

It's March and I'm just now posting my best TV show list. I'm a failure as a human. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, let's get started!

I'm not doing honorable mentions because I didn't watch enough TV last year. Let's just say that Supergirl and Once Upon a Time were occasionally fun, and the one episode of Gravity Falls that aired did a decent job of wrapping everything up.

Spoiler

#10 - Galavant

The best show nobody was watching aired its second (and ultimately final) season last year, and it improved on everything I liked from the first one, with better songs, better action, and more medieval silliness. It's basically the television version of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, plus it has Weird Al as a monk, so even if wasn't hilarious and well written, that would have guaranteed it a spot in my heart.

Spoiler

#9 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I haven't seen any of this season of B99 yet, which was the main thing keeping me from finishing this list in a reasonable time, but even though I still haven't watched an episode of season 4, the last half of season 3 was good enough that I feel comfortable putting it on this list even if the first half of season 4 turns out to be a whole lotta suck, which I doubt will happen because B99 is one of the most consistently funny comedies on television.

Spoiler

#8 - Silicon Valley

Speaking of consistently funny comedies, Silicon Valley didn't disappoint in its third season, and binging on it every summer has become a wonderful traditional that I hope will never end.

Spoiler

#7 - Fleabag

I hate clustering all the comedies at the end of this list, but I can't say that any of them are better than the dramas/dramadies I have above them. Still, this Amazon Prime series is really good, a profile of a young woman who you can't help but root for despite her (many) flaws. I watched it because it was short and looked interesting, but by the time it was over I was craving more. Since it's a British show, I probably won't know if I'll even get more until the next century, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Spoiler

#6 - Last Week Tonight

The comedy ghetto continues with John Oliver's crazy funny weekly show. Even though he mostly ignored the Trump phenomenon in 2015, he went right after it in 2016 once he realized that it wasn't going anywhere, and the show reached new heights because of it. Even though Oliver continued to cover issues that don't get nearly enough attention from the mainstream media, his pointed commentaries on Trump, Brexit, and the other big events of the year are what really solidified him as a fixture of late-night television.

Spoiler

#5 - Westworld

The first serious show on the list happens to be the most talked-about show of the year. Westworld lived up to the hype for me, with twist after twist revealing brand new things about the world and its characters every time I thought I knew everything there was to know about them. Even though it's not my number one, it's definitely the most surprising show of the year for me, and I hope it stays fresh and exciting the same way Game of Thrones did instead of flaming out after the first season like True Detective.

Spoiler

#4 - Better Call Saul

Better Call Saul was #3 on my Best Shows of 2015 list, and it drops due to no fault of its own. The second season of the Breaking Bad spin-off ups the ante and goes one step further towards becoming a great show in its own right. If I didn’t love my top three shows so much this year, BCS would have easily made a return.

Spoiler

#3 - Mr. Robot

I’m putting this here mostly to make up for not having it on last year’s list, where it would have easily been #1. I didn’t watch the first season until shortly before the second season premiered, and I’ve never sympathized with a protagonist as much as I’ve sympathized with Elliot, who like me, is a socially awkward computer whiz. Elliot’s struggles to find out what’s real or not makes for compelling television, and even though the second season wasn’t as strong as the first, I’m effectively ranking both seasons together, which was just enough to get it above my beloved Better Call Saul.

Spoiler

#2 - OJ: Made in America

I’ve never seen a documentary quite like this one. Part of ESPN’s 30 for 30 series, OJ: Made in America is a brilliantly constructed portrait of a flawed man who was part of one of the biggest events of the 90s. It makes no effort to judge Simpson or his guilt, covering the story from all sides and leaving it up to the viewer to determine whether he “did it” or not. (FYI, I think he did do it, but I still love this documentary anyway.) It recently won an Oscar, so that should give you some idea of just how good it is, nabbing an award usually reserved for big screen documentaries. If you haven’t watched it yet, you should. It’s seven-and-a-half hours long, but those hours will fly by before you know it.

Spoiler

#1 - Atlanta

Heck yeah, I’m making this my number one. Donald Glover’s new show is a brilliant commentary on race relations and black culture in general that always manages to find new ways to surprise the audience, whether it’s by making Justin Bieber black or by having an entire episode take place on a parody of BET. Its perfect mix of fantasy and reality allows it to be constantly creative while still being a show that’s reasonably down to earth, with characters all of us can relate to. I expected this to be a show I would enjoy, but I enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would, and I can’t wait for its next season.

That's my list! Sorry if you hated it. i'll try better next year.

• Like 2

Looks like I'm going to be the last to show one my lists. So be it...

No time for a proper introduction, I already got that job done in the preview countdown. This is my Top 10 Best Hit Songs of 2016…..but first, here are some honorable mentions:

Spoiler

Me, Myself & I / G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha

Huh, WHAT? Okay, before I explain why I put in that previous sentence, let me assure you all that this song missed my top 20, but it was still close to it. I would’ve given a shout out to my favorite year-end 2017 guaranteed hit (which would be “24k Magic”), but what would be more interesting than to give an honorable mention to a song that has white Drake’s name attached to it? – Black and white, clear as crystal. As far as I’m concerned, G-Eazy is one of the most reviled musical artists on this website. I have since listened to some other songs from G-Eazy after listening to his biggest hit, and my official judgment stands that I don’t like this music by any stretch. However, that’s not to say that I utterly despised G-Eazy’s music, because I did enjoy his biggest hit to date: Me, Myself & I,” and I think it’s objectively his best song to boot. So why is it so that I have to give a shout out to white Drake? First of all, my main highlight towards the song is the hook artist, Bebe Rexha. It’s a very good hook, no denying that, nothing more I can really say about that other than the whole concept of escapism and finding personal space. As for G-Eazy, well, it’s not easy for me to explain. I mean, most of G-Eazy’s verses consist of celebrating his own claim to fame, but I can handle his verses because I find him to be tolerable here, and I can appreciate his presence on the song, because he shares the self-congratulatory narrative with the hook singer. Sure, he’s not a very interesting performer/songwriter either, but I don’t think he’s as insufferably dull as gnash or Post Malone, at least in this song.

Never Forget You / Zara Larsson and MNEK

In terms of hit singles on my actual top 20, this one came close. The song succeeds primarily by the singing talents of Zara Larsson and MNEK, as well as the very decent and charming narrative. Here’s the thing though, it may be a vocal powerhouse, but it misses the top 10 because it’s not a production powerhouse. I mean, the production work is decent enough, but it doesn’t intrigue to the point where I feel the singing just totally overwhelms it. Now, if we’re talking music videos, then the song would be able to reach my top 10.

Cake by the Ocean / DNCE

Now I really have some ‘splainin’ to do…

Why do I enjoy this song? It’s usually from my own objective point of view. In other words, it’s a guilty pleasure, and why I find this song enjoyable is in a similar sense as to why I have a liking towards songs like “Walk Like an Egyptian,” and “Everybody Have Fun Tonight.” First thing to note right away is that the songwriting is really dumb. Why I feel DNCE manages to go beyond this is because they’re just having so much fun in the song. In fact, the song itself can be pretty fun to listen to. STILL, the lyrics do not help, but it’s silly at best. Joe Jonas’ falsetto during the chorus is also a bit of a pitfall, but strangely enough…I can get behind that as well and not mind it as much after some re-listens. The largest factor towards my enjoyment of this song would, of course, date back to the groovy bassline. Also, while DNCE share some parallels towards Maroon 5, they’re at least making the type of music that M5 apparently didn’t yearn to make this year around. It’s not as great as say, “Toothbrush,” (yeah, this song also grew on me), “Unsweet,” and “Body Moves,” but I managed to like “Cake by the Ocean” a lot, with it being enough to make it my honorable mention, let alone that I consider this a guilty pleasure.

Adventure of a Lifetime / Coldplay

So, um….I’m quite a fan of Coldplay’s music, honestly. The group has its pitfalls, (I prefer a lot less from X&Y and Ghost Stories, and prefer more from the rest of their output.) but yeah, this song’s no exception for my liking towards Coldplay. The song took a while to grow on me, and when it did, I found a lot to like about it. The disco flavored instrumentation has a real groove to it (The “a-ah-a-ah” bits are somewhat of a turn-off, but it’s also easily ignorable IMO.), it has a strong anthemic sound, I like the “woo-hoo’s” near the final stretch, and in general, it’s become quite a pump-up jam for me, thanks to the Super Bowl. Sure, Coldplay may be selling out, but as long as they can either attain their rock edge or make serviceable pop songs like this, I can definitely appreciate the band’s transition into pop territory.

Broccoli / D.R.A.M. featuring Lil Yachty

For those who feared that “Me, Myself & I” would’ve apparently been my choice for the best hit rap single of 2016, (That title would go to “Formation” or “No Problem” IMO.) “Broccoli” is my choice for the best that made the year-end Hot 100. My thoughts on the song can be easily summed up like this: D.R.A.M. so is full of life and energy that he makes the song so enjoyable, while Lil Yachty’s songwriting is dreadful along with his uncharismatic performance, preventing it from entering my top 10. However, I also ought to give some merits to Lil Yachty for the catchy piano and flute composition, so I can say that the duo made themselves quite a pair and have their own share in what makes the song so good enough to put a smile on my face.

When We Were Young / Adele

What’s not to love about this song, really? Adele still proves to be a vocal powerhouse and she boasts a thoughtful and engaging narrative about growing old and reminiscing past relationships. Strange for me to say, but I would need to be a lot more attached to the narrative of this song to consider it for my top 10. Still, it’s a really great track from a talented singer.

Same Old Love / Selena Gomez

I think this song will have some people asking, “Seriously, this is your choice of a great song about feeling stressed, even more-so than “Stressed Out?”” My strange preference towards “Same Old Love” can be summed up with these reasons: The most primary reason being the minimalistic and the old-fashioned swing instrumentation. It was so hypnotizing that I found myself coming back to it a lot. Second of all, while the message is short of being distinct, it showcases Selena in a bit of a vulnerable nature. Third of all, there’s something about Selena’s moodiness depiction for the song that I find so unusually charming, because I never reached out to see this side of Selena where she expresses being seriously pissed off. It’s not one of the most overwhelming pop songs I’ve heard all day, but the single is brooding enough for me to give it an honorable mention.

Ride / twenty one pilots

The band twenty one pilots, in general, is a hit/miss for me. The best I’ve heard from them is either “Fake You Out,” or “House of Gold,” the latter of which is very pop-friendly compared to the duo’s general sound, but then again, what genre would these guys even belong to? “Ride” is the equivalent of an unusual test tube experiment. In other words, I can’t help but enjoy “Ride” more than “Stressed Out” for the former’s creative output. For the most of the song, it’s got electronic-flavored percussion, alongside a strong reggae sound and melody, and then it moves over to an electronic-rocking chorus, before even going into a piano pop and gospel-flavored bridge. It’s a strange concoction, but that’s part of why I really like the song. Another reason why I have I liking towards the song is through the overall message, being about finding peace from thinking things over too much and all.

On My Mind / Ellie Goulding

As far as I’m concerned, some circles state that Ellie’s lead single for her most recent album, showcasing her direction towards pure pop to boot, was underwhelming. What do I think? Ellie really manages to pack a punch with this song, as it’s very much a response to Ed Sheeran’s “Don’t”, a song from 2014 that I really enjoyed-

*Ellie claimed otherwise that the song is not about Ed Sheeran*

Well then….whoever it is that Ellie is referring to, she still manages to pack a punch. A part of why I enjoyed this song is because it felt so much like a response to Ed Sheeran’s aforementioned song, but for the most part, “On My Mind” does a lot for me because it is a complete banger. The production work is really fascinating, as it also does some justice to give Ellie a little more spunk.

Wildest Dreams / Taylor Swift

I did say that I have a backwash song on my top 10, but sadly it’s not this one. Do I still think that it’s a great song, spite taking up the #12 spot? You bet. It’s still as beautifully sung, brooding, and thought-provoking for its narrative since when I first listened to it. But still, I had to make room for another song…

Starboy / The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk

….And surprisingly enough, it’s not this one. This is my official #11 and I love this song as so for a variety of reasons. One reason why it’s my #11 is for a rule I forgot to mention, but it’s because I already have two songs from Abel on my top 10, and I wanted for my best list to be as balanced than to give you guys the thought of “The Weeknd was one of the only interesting things on the radio!” in your heads. Other than that, it’s because I yearned to hear more from Daft Punk’s contribution to the song more than just the production (a reason why [unpopular opinion] I actually enjoyed “I Feel It Coming” a little more), and that some of the lyrics are…pretty mind-boggling. What makes the song so spectacular though is that The Weeknd boasts a lot of personality and continues to spread his usual charm in conjuring dark themes. And while I’ve already mentioned this before, Daft Punk’s production work is fantastic, especially with The Weeknd’s crooning during the chorus. So yeah, once again, Abel amazes us with this dark and funky track.

STEEL’S TOP 10 BEST HIT SONGS OF 2016

Spoiler

I really can’t talk about this one without talking about The 1975. Yeah, I’m still genuinely peeved that “The Sound” barely missing the opportunity to become a Hot 100 hit. However, I can’t help but feel that the band’s brand of pop/rock blended music might’ve rubbed off on other acts, including The Chainsmokers if you’ve heard their most recent song, “Paris.” It’s basically a cross between “Midnight City” (M83) and The 1975’s very own “Paris.” This particular song I’m talking about just barely made the year-end list at #100, and I wouldn’t have it any other way….

10. Perfect / One Direction

Okay, comparing this song to the musical style of The 1975 is a stretch (Its similarities with “Style” is a much easier comparison.), but for a certain reason, I feel the song is close to the band’s new wave sound. The more I listened to the song, the more that it crossed my mind that “Perfect” may have some similarities with the song “Settle Down.” Case in point, “Perfect” shifts between an airy/temperate and upbeat tone in the song’s structure, while having a very positive tone overall, along with a black/white music video to boot – that in which is a past author appeal for The 1975. Now, more about my appreciation towards “Perfect,” I can easily say it’s the best I’ve heard from One Direction in most recent memory. There’s really something about the way that they acknowledge how they may not be a perfect soulmmate for varying romantic reasons, and then talking about how they’ll be perfect for the one girl if she likes causing up trouble in hotel rooms, doing the “things” that she knows they shouldn’t do, going places she can’t even pronounce….yeah, the songwriting is still cheesy as I’ve bargained for it to be from One Direction. It still works, because overall, the track’s nature is so charming and sweet, and not in an overbearing way. All in all, it’s a really darn good pop song, even if the band still can’t break away from their teenage fan fulfilling tendencies.

Spoiler

Remember when I said that this song was the front-runner for the best hit song of 2016, or that it could easily snatch a top 3 spot? Well, here it is at #9, and when it comes to the song itself, it’s got some critics feeling divided….

9. Dangerous Woman / Ariana Grande

Is it the sultriest sex jam I’ve heard this year, let alone the most subtle? I hate to say it so, but the overall premise is a bit of a pitfall. However, I still think that there’s so much that “Dangerous Woman” can do to really stand out. The biggest perk I have with the song is the guitar licks, and that rock flavor really excels when it leads up to the guitar solo. Most of all, there’s also the whole deal of the song being released after the time-frame of “Focus,” the supposed lead single, ending up as a flop. Considering that it was a different approach, I was legitimately surprised by this song when I listened to it in full. In other words, the most of the song’s charm is that it had some surprises. Still though, Ariana Grande doesn’t pull off the “you make you feel like a dangerous woman” stint very acutely as the sound suggests. BUT STILL, it’s not as emotionally cluttered as “Pillowtalk,” it doesn’t have a premise as absurd as “Work from Home,” and it doesn’t give me an uncomfortable feeling like “Hands to Myself.” It could’ve been worse. Like I’ve pointed out before, “Dangerous Woman” manages to stand out spite its flaws.

Spoiler

Remember Mike Posner? Needless to say, I despised “Cooler Than Me,” but this guy managed to surprise me more than just making a successful, somewhat one-time comeback, as he gave us something that was filled with a lot of depth.

8. I Took a Pill in Ibiza / Mike Posner

This is considered one of the best hit songs of 2016 and appears on quite a lot of these lists, including mine, because I can see why in what makes this hit single so good. For a while, I thought of this song as something less than extraordinary since I wasn’t as attached to it, but eventually I backtracked and opened my mind a little more on this. “I Took a Pill in Ibiza” is based on the sentient of telling a depressing narrative along with Mike Posner proclaiming that all he knows are sad songs, and that was a good enough strategy to sell the drama. In another way to put it, the song’s real dynamic is its songwriting and narrative. Posner talks about taking a drug to so he could obtain some credibility from Avicii, before getting sober. He acknowledges that people saw him as a one-hit wonder. He even states that he can’t keep a girl, having the thought of being stuck on stage singing what only he knows are sad songs, and yeah…I should sum it all up as a narrative detailing post-fame, and Posner really makes it sell. On SeeB’s part, I’m not a big fan, but he does a great job with backing Posner with the track for his remix, because it’s definitely much better than listening to the original and acoustic cut. For a reflective song about one’s fame, Mike Posner, who started out rough, really delivers some emotional depth with the song, and just looking back benefited for me into giving the song a top 10 spot.

Spoiler

You know, it would feel peculiar for me to put a Chainsmokers song on my list, and the biggest contender for it would be “Roses,” because upon listening to it, I found it to be legitimately good, but….nothing. I can’t fake you guys out with this. My #7 really is “Roses.”

7. Roses / The Chainsmokers featuring ROZES

The very first thing to point out about this DJ duo is that they’ve been regarded as the group that made the atrocious “#SELFIE” song. Since the release of this track, with more hits to come, including the polarizing hit “Closer,” (Just look at the reactions towards the song being Todd’s #1 best hit of 2016 if you know what I mean by “polarizing.”), the group really transformed themselves into something more than just their novelty hit. Just after listening to their sleeper hit, I was already proven that The Chainsmokers can make themselves out as a genuine EDM group. The production work excels for having a really hypnotic synth-flavored bass. My positives towards “Roses” is not even limited to the singer herself who sounds just as hypnotic. To add to the production, it has its own brand of pitch modifications, and when it comes a variety of hit electronic songs this year, I have a limit when it comes to pitch-shifted vocals. The work on “Roses” manages to make it all sound just right. Overall, it’s a really brooding, smooth, and chill dance song.

Spoiler

I’m going to be real blunt here. At one point, I had a lock on “Adventure of a Lifetime” as one of my best hit songs of 2016. After giving this one song a few more re-listens, it was then that I realized that I favored Coldplay’s next biggest hit a lot more than I imagined….

6. Hymn for the Weekend / Coldplay

Seriously, this is such an eccentric, yet mindless fun song. Anyways, to sum things up, the song is complimented with a hooky piano riff, Chris Martin’s uplifting vocals, the chiming guitar chords and of course, special guest….background singer Beyonce, spite taking quite a fair enough amount of space for singing the track. I also can’t forget to give credit to the overall tone of the song. It really hits home with its prevailing manner, along with just how energetic and groovy the song itself sounds. For a song about drinking the night away for the weekend, it succeeds as a danceable, club-ready, alt-rock anthem.

Spoiler

And speaking of the weekend, here’s The Weeknd:

5. Can’t Feel My Face / The Weeknd

Looking back at my top 10 best hits list for 2015, I felt like I missed the opportunity to put guaranteed favorite “Can’t Feel My Face” on my list, but since the song reprised for the year-end list of 2016, I immediately realized that I still haven’t missed that opportunity. So yeah, congrats to The Weeknd for “Can’t Feel My Face,” it was a year overdue, but the song deserved to claim a spot for my 2016 list. Now, I know what some of you guys are thinking, why avoid putting this funky hit on my 2015 list? Well…it at the time that I found myself enjoying The Weeknd more than anyone else, and that was before I realized that I didn’t have to think that I loved The Weeknd’s music more than I should. Additionally, I thought “Can’t Feel My Face” wasn’t one of the absolute best songs from the guy. “Wicked Games,” “Montreal,” and most recently, “False Alarm” is some of the best I’ve heard from him so far. On top of that, these are my rankings for all the tracks off of “Beauty Behind the Madness” from best to worst (it’s marked in spoilers because I have another Weeknd song on the top 5.):

Spoiler

1. In the Night

2. Angel

3. Shameless

4. Can’t Feel My Face

5. Tell Your Friends

6. Dark Times

7. Real Life

8. Often

9. Prisoner

10. The Hills

11. Losers

12. As You Are

13. Acquainted

14. Earned It

One of my reasonings why I’ve put this song on the honorable mentions for my 2015 list is going to sound weird, but I feel that this song is just too easy to love. The Weeknd can easily pull off making a song that’s primarily pop, let alone channeling Michael Jackson, but I’ve always appreciated The Weeknd for his moody and dark-flavored R&B and pop records. However, that doesn’t mean that I couldn’t see through the actual message of the song, as it does have some dark subject matter in place of the track’s strong influence in Michael Jackson’s brand of pop. “Can’t Feel My Face” articulates the feeling of being under the influence and characterizes the lack of self-control from addiction for the singer’s love of a woman. Of course, this is something that The Weeknd can normally try and pull off, and it’s a very good reason as to why it qualifies for my top 10 best hit songs of 2016.

Spoiler

So, folks, how about that lead single from Tove Lo’s newest album? Speaking as someone who gave Tove Lo a lot of credit, I’m going to be really honest, and I hate to break it to you guys, but the song is garb. If any of you guys do enjoy “Cool Girl,” that’s perfectly fine, but I can’t listen to the song without distinguishing this as if it were “Can’t Feel My Face,” but with different lyrics, and if it was on a budget. At least before she released this mess, she has seen better days, and while even that certain song is nowhere near as superb, I just really can’t keep this away from my top 10…

4. Close / Nick Jonas featuring Tove Lo

Yeah, I’m sorry, I seriously can’t keep this away from my top 10. I am an absolute sucker for songs with a minimalistic sound! Keep in mind though that my liking for the song is not from Tove Lo’s presence at most. Why I like “Close” so much is primarily due to Nick Jonas. “Close” isn’t even Nick’s best single to date, (“Levels” would be top-tier Nick Jonas.) but if there was any song that completely proved to me of what Nick is capable of as a pop/R&B star, those thoughts would be linked towards this exact song. Anyways, it’s like I’ve pointed out earlier that I highly appreciate the minimalistic sound. I really adore the instrumentation of this track, followed by Nick and Tove’s delivery towards it. They both made themselves out as quite a good pair for a duet. The songwriting isn’t certainly some of the best, considering that it has 4 of 5 of the same writers as “Hands to Myself,” but it doesn’t bother me so much. “SPACE IS JUST A WORD MADE UP BY SOMEONE WHO’S AFRAID TO GET CLOSE” is a very clumsy line, but this is only one of two of the problems I have with the song, outside of the general songwriting. My biggest merit towards the song is based on the sentiment of how it gets some things done, in which that “Pillowtalk” didn’t get done. I felt like “Close” added in some things that I felt were missing in “Pillowtalk.” I could see that the latter tried to sound emotionally intense, but in the former, this is what Nick Jonas/Tove Lo managed to do. In fact, “Close” even manages to illustrate the topic of feeling vulnerable in a relationship a lot more clearly. So yeah, it’s not only great to see Tove Lo in the right direction every now and then, but I give big kudos to Nick Jonas.

Spoiler

Did I ever tell you guys how amazing of an album “Lemonade” is? It really sucks that it got snubbed pretty badly at the Grammys. Let’s face it though, would we normally expect for the academy to let go of their safe spaces? It’s no wonder that “25” won them over. For a really mediocre year in pop like 2016, it was lucky enough to have a song off Lemonade become a big hit.

3. Sorry / Beyoncé

Move over, “Same Old Love” and “On My Mind,” this is how you really make a song built around ripping on a lover and letting out those stressed-out thoughts. As far as I’m concerned with this song, some people have said that this is one of the weaker songs off of the album. I wouldn’t say that it’s so, but “Sorry” is a bit of a peculiar choice of a hit single. I mean, I can understand why, because it has since sparked a lot of debate on what two people are being discussed. For those who are wondering how I’d rank all the “Lemonade” tracks from top to bottom, here you go:

1. Formation

2. Freedom

3. Pray You Catch Me

4. Daddy Lessons

5. Sandcastles

6. 6 Inch

7. Don’t Hurt Yourself

8. Sorry

9. Love Drought

10. All Night

11. Hold Up

12. Forward

It’s my eighth favorite from the album, but otherwise, it’s also my third favorite hit song of 2016 for a variety of reasons. As the first and utmost biggest reason, Beyonce really packs a punch when chewing out Jay-Z and his cheating heart for “Becky with the good hair.” What really helps is that Beyonce boasts a really unapologetic tone. Now, surely the song may not be about Jay-Z, but it’s intriguing to see how personal Beyonce can make herself sound. When she sounds pissed, she sounds righteously so. She even backs up the moody atmosphere of the song very well with the banging trap & electronic instrumentation. On top of what I’ve said about Beyonce expressing a lot of personality in the track, she even expresses hints of vulnerability towards the lover’s infidelity. What else can I really say here? This song proved that the year needed a Beyonce.

Spoiler

I think it was about time that I start talking about a song off of “Beauty Behind the Madness,” that is not only one of my biggest favorites from The Weeknd, but also my absolute best from the album. It may be my second best hit song of 2016, but it’s definitely something worth mentioning….

2. In the Night / The Weeknd

I love the dark narrative, I love the intensity in The Weeknd’s voice, it’s just an excellent blend between the pop values of “Can’t Feel My Face,” and The Weeknd’s usual brand of R&B. To express what, in question, the subject matter is, it’s about a woman who has struggled through sexual abuse as a child and tries to release the pain away in the night as a strip dancer. This is basically the bulk of The Weeknd’s unusual charm for embracing dark themes, so it’s no surprise that I can’t help but adore this song. Pop music could definitely use some more emotionally brooding songs like this, let alone something with an ingenious horror tale.

Spoiler

As some of you folks might’ve known, I’ve grown to really like Ariana Grande’s music by the time she came out with her “Dangerous Woman” album. Now, I can’t give a complete list of rankings of tracks from the album since I haven’t listened to every other track from the album, but I’ve listened to about nearly half of her record. In addition, one of the songs off of the record just so happens to establish Ariana at her peak. What I’m saying is that I found a song that even overwhelms “Love Me Harder,” so how I can really sum it up? Well, I guess you can say that I’m so into it:

1. Into You / Ariana Grande

In my opinion, not one hit song that year came close to perfect like “Into You.” In fact, the said song is an epitome of a perfect pop song for Ariana. The song is so upbeat, Ariana’s vocals, as well as the instrumentation, in the chorus are so punchy and emotionally raw, and for the most part, she really manages to pull off the sexually charged undertones. This is usually because she would sound just as energetic to take into account of conveying a sensual personality, so yeah, I can totally buy this. It’s very plain to see how much fun Ariana is having with this little tune, and it’s really nice to see this as a hit on the pop charts. Of course, since I have already summed it up so nicely, this is all I can really say towards the song, and for all those reasons, it’s my definite choice as my #1 favorite hit song of 2016.

Full year-end list rankings:

Spoiler

1. “Into You” – Ariana Grande

2. “In the Night” – The Weeknd

3. “Sorry” – Beyoncé

4. “Close” – Nick Jonas featuring Tove Lo

5. “Can’t Feel My Face” – The Weeknd

6. “Hymn for the Weekend” - Coldplay

7. “Roses” – The Chainsmokers featuring ROZES

8. “I Took a Pill in Ibiza – Mike Posner

9. “Dangerous Woman” – Ariana Grande

10. “Perfect” – One Direction

11. “Starboy” – The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk

12. “Wildest Dreams” – Taylor Swift

13. “On My Mind” – Ellie Goulding

14. “Ride” – twenty one pilots

15. “Same Old Love” – Selena Gomez

16. “When We Were Young” – Adele

17. “Broccoli” – D.R.A.M. featuring Lil Yachty

18. “Adventure of a Lifetime” – Coldplay

19. “Cake by the Ocean” – DNCE

20. “Never Forget You” – Zara Larsson and MNEK

21. “Here” – Alessia Cara

22. “Hello” – Adele

23. “Me, Myself & I” – G-Eazy featuring Bebe Rexha

24. “Side to Side” – Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj

25. “Ex’s and Oh’s – Elle King

26. “Hotline Bling” – Drake

27. “Lean On” – Major Lazer and DJ Snake featuring MØ

28. “Oui” – Jeremih

29. “Cheap Thrills” – Sia featuring Sean Paul

30. “Love Yourself” – Justin Bieber

31. “Don’t Let Me Down” – The Chainsmokers featuring Daya

32. “The Hills” – The Weeknd

33. “Stressed Out” – twenty one pilots

34. “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” – Meghan Trainor featuring John Legend

35. “Lost Boy” – Ruth B

36. “Humble and Kind” – Tim McGraw

37. “2 Phones” – Kevin Gates

38. “What Do You Mean?” – Justin Bieber

39. “Antidote” – Travis Scott

40. “Sucker for Pain” – Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, and Imagine Dragons w/ Ty Dolla Sign, Logic, and X Ambassadors

41. “Jumpman” – Drake and Future

42. “CAN’T STOP THE FEELING!” – Justin Timberlake

43. “Cold Water” – Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ

44. “Low Life” – Future featuring The Weeknd

45. “No Limit” – Usher featuring Young Thug

46. “Sorry” – Justin Bieber

47. “Say It” – Tory Lanez

48. “679” – Fetty Wap featuring Remy Boyz

49. “All In My Head (Flex)” – Fifth Harmony featuring Fetty Wap

50. “Tiimmy Turner” – Desiigner

51. “Closer” – The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey

52. “Too Good” – Drake featuring Rihanna

53. “All the Way Up” – Fat Joe and Remy Ma featuring French Montana and Infrared

54. “Heathens” – twenty one pilots

55. “Cut It” – O.T. Genasis featuring Young Dolph

56. “PILLOWTALK” – Zayn

57. “Let It Go” – James Bay

58. “Let Me Love You” – DJ Snake featuring Justin Bieber

59. “We Don’t Talk Anymore” – Charlie Puth featuring Selena Gomez

60. “Sit Still, Look Pretty” – Daya

61. “My House” – Flo Rida

62. “Never Be Like You” – Flume featuring Kai

63. “Needed Me” – Rihanna

64. “Send My Love (To Your New Lover)” – Adele

65. “I Know What You Did Last Summer” – Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello

66. “Die a Happy Man” – Thomas Rhett

67. “Luv” – Tory Lanez

68. “Work” – Rihanna featuring Drake

69. “No” – Meghan Trainor

70. “Exchange” – Bryson Tiller

71. “This Is What You Came For” – Calvin Harris featuring Rihanna

72. “Pop Style” – Drake featuring The Throne

73. “Really Really” – Kevin Gates

74. “Panda” – Desiigner

75. “Middle” – DJ Snake featuring Bipolar Sunshine

76. “Gold” – Kiiara

77. “Down in the DM” – Yo Gotti

78. “One Dance” – Drake featuring WizKid and Kyla

79. “Stitches” – Shawn Mendes

80. “See You Again” – Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth

81. “Wicked” – Future

82. “For Free” – DJ Khaled featuring Drake

83. “Starving” – Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd

84. “One Call Away” – Charlie Puth

85. “Back to Sleep” – Chris Brown

86. “Don’t” – Bryson Tiller

87. “Don’t Mind” – Kent Jones

88. “Work from Home” Fifth Harmony featuring Ty Dolla Sign

89. “Watch Me” – Silento

90. “Hide Away” – Daya

91. “Controlla” – Drake

92. “7 Years” – Lukas Graham

93. “Just Like Fire” – P!nk

94. “White Iverson” – Post Malone

95. “Me Too” – Meghan Trainor

96. “Unsteady” – X Ambassadors

97. “Hands to Myself” – Selena Gomez

98. “H.O.L.Y.” – Florida Georgia Line

99. “i hate u, i love u” – gnash featuring olivia o’brien

100. “Treat You Better” – Shawn Mendes

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2017 at 9:50 AM, Clappy said:

similarities to in Boyhood.  It actually feels like a real movie and not an embarrassing home movie.  Because while Boyhood feels like an absolute gimmick of a film (WE FILMED IT IN 12 YEARS!!

Urge to kill...slowly rising...

Boyhood is my all time favorite movie