• Advertisement

197a. Mall Girl Pearl

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What would you give the episode?

• 5/5 Jobs: This is the most coral store in the whole mall!
    • 4/5 Jobs: I do miss being a super hip young person!
    • 3/5 Jobs: Now now girls, let's be polite...
    • 2/5 Jobs: Boring Beatrice.
    • 1/5 Jobs: EAT BARNACLES!

yPbewxR.jpg 

Premieres

Saturday, March 12th @ 7:30pm ET/PT

Encores:

Sunday, March 13th @ 11:30am ET/PT

Sunday, March 13th @ 5:00pm ET/PT

Plot:

Pearl gets a job to be cool like her friends, but the only store that is hiring is the lamest store at the mall.

Special Guest Stars: Betty White and Aubrey Plaza

Clips:

1.) http://www.people.com/article/spongebob-squarepants-see-betty-white-aubrey-plaza

According to Vincent Waller, this will be the first SpongeBob episode in history where SpongeBob himself doesn't have a speaking role whatsoever (not counting Reef Blower, mind you), and we would have to look hard to see him in this episode, meaning he will essentially be a background character in it.

EDIT 3/12/16: So the episode has aired and apparently we got lied to just a bit. SpongeBob does talk, but only once in the episode. Oh well. This episode still has the record for the least SpongeBob screen-time in any episode.

This sounds interesting, but it's kind of a double-edged sword, since:

1.) The crew is experimenting, and focusing on other characters, which is neat.

...but on the other hand...

2.) It's a Pearl centric episode, and her episodes are kind of hit or miss as it is. :P 

I guess we'll hope for the best. On another minor note, this episode will be written by Clare O'Kane, a new writer and the second female writer in SpongeBob history (the first being Merriwether Williams).

Edited by jjsthekid

Surprising that it's taken this long to have an episode like this. Admittedly, it'll be weird to see SB not having a speaking role, since we're not at all used to it.

Wow holy crud this was actually paced really well and there were a lot of character cameos like SB/Squidward, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, Health Inspector Yellowtail. I haven't liked Pearl this much since Bossy Boots either. SpongeBob only had one line in this at the ending (besides his laughing after Squidward) I also liked the guy in the box as it reminded me of Can You Spare A Dime. I really haven't liked too many s9 episodes completely, but I thought this one was fantastic if you like Pearl or just great in general. Both the star voice actors were great in their own rights too. Will rewatch later!

A

• Like 2

I really enjoyed this episode. Easily Pearl's best episode since Bossy Boots. I was mostly focused on searching for cameos like Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, Bubble Buddy, Health Inspector Yellowtail, Officer Nancy, the didgeridoo player, and SpongeBob stalking Squidward. I also enjoyed Betty White's performance. Course SpongeBob only had one line, I thought he wouldn't talk, but it was still great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NegiSpongie said:

Course SpongeBob only had one line, I thought he wouldn't talk, but it was still great.

Yeah, seems like Vincent lied to us a bit there. :P 

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I will tomorrow on kisscartoon and give my thoughts. I have a feeling Nick mandated them to give SpongeBob at least one line.

Oh yeah the store comparisons of Hot Dog on a Stick, Hot Topic and Claire's was interesting. Oh and the reference to the Now! albums.

So far cameos that I've seen:

MM&BB

Dougie Williams

Inspector Yellowtail

Bubble Buddy

Karen 

The lunch lady from the first MM&BB

SB and Squidward of course

I saw Carl (that one restaurant manager who briefly managed the Krusty Krab that one time when Mr. Krabs briefly retired). I didn't even SEE Karen, Bubble Buddy, Health Inspector Yellowtail, OR the Didgeridoo Player! Definitely going to have to watch again. Nice to see some more of Pearl's friends, and of course, CHARACTER development! :D Betty White for the WIN!!!! :rock: A 10/10! :kicking: Enough said! ;)

2 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

I saw Carl (that one restaurant manager who briefly managed the Krusty Krab that one time when Mr. Krabs briefly retired). I didn't even SEE Karen, Bubble Buddy, Health Inspector Yellowtail, OR the Didgeridoo Player! Definitely going to have to watch again. Nice to see some more of Pearl's friends, and of course, CHARACTER development! :D Betty White for the WIN!!!! :rock: A 10/10! :kicking: Enough said! ;)

Karen and Bubble Buddy were moving really quickly on a top level of the mall (at the scene when Pearl was sitting down with her hot dog) .

Oh yeah I forgot someone said they found Carl but I didn't see him and didn't even know the Didgeridoo Player was in this either lol. Man they must have really felt like using old characters.

This episode was much better than I expected it to be. Very great episode. For the first episode where SpongeBob doesn't really appear at all (barring the minor cameos), I honestly thought it was handled very well, and with Pearl of all characters. There weren't too many jokes, but the humor it did have was spot-on (Mertle, Mr. Krabs' scene in the beginning, SpongeBob chasing Squidward in the background, and the way Beatrice fought the girls). I also liked how Pearl got actual character development, and it was nice to have her in a tolerable role, which is rare. I also loved the callbacks to older episodes with Pearl saying "coral" at one point, Boys Who Cry on Pearl's magazine, and all of the past character cameos (Bubble Buddy, Dougie Williams, Carl, Yellowtail, etc.). When the episode is put online, I can try to grab screenshots of all their cameos, hopefully. Betty and Aubrey were used well for their guest roles, so that's a plus.

This episode also now has the record of the least screen-time SpongeBob has ever had in an episode. Though I wish Vincent didn't throw us off by saying SpongeBob wouldn't talk at all, it didn't bug me. I get the feeling Nick mandated them to have him talk once anyways, it did feel kind of last-minute. His ending with Beatrice made me chuckle anyways, so I'm good.

In general, I was just glad this episode experimented. We had a different setting, someone other than SpongeBob taking the spotlight, good pacing, and callbacks to previous episodes. I would like to see more of this.

Grade: A

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 5

Finally I had a chance to see this one and I was impressed by it. Tbh I do like most Pearl's episodes, despite I really don't care about her character and SpongeBob is the character that made me like those Pearl episodes but this was a nice change that we got an episode that actually centers around Pearl and surprisingly I cared for her in this episode. She wasn't bratty in this episode at all, all she wanted was to get a job because getting a job is really important if yoıu want to be independent in the future obviously, it was nice to see Pearl actually taking responsibility but at the same time she actually enjoys her job so much. Another thing is that I could relate to Pearl when it comes to friends because friends can make fun of you for something that they find very unsual or embarassing. That doesn't mean I dislike my friends, it's just that it happens sometimes. Pearl got a nice development at the end as well, it was good to see her not caring how their friends feel about her acting like a grandma, I find this as a nice moral for kids, even if this show isn't meant to be educational. I loved the grandma, Beatrice in this episode. She was such a wise and interesting character that I really enjoyed, she didn't feel like a sterotypical mean old lady, she was nice to Pearl but at the same time, she was actually a badass. She actually defeated Pearl's friends and give them what they deserved and it was such a cool climax. I really find it so cool how writers add really memorable one-time characters in these new episodes. Another thing I liked about her is that her advice to Pearl at the end of the episode. Even if Pearl liked being old lady, Batrice said growing up slowly and feeling like a young is important and I agree with that. It's good to feel energetic and health when you are young and it's important to not miss any of chance. This episode felt so fresh for not just new episodes but the show in general. Not just because of this is a really well-written Pearl centric episode with character development, nice morals, fun climax  and excellent one-time character; I loved loved how many character cameos were put, it broke the record for most referenced SpongeBob episode. This is the first episode written by Clare O'Kane and I personally feel that she must really love this show because of all the cameos she put and how she wrote Pearl and Beatrice's character. I can tell she's gonna bring really amazing episodes soon and I hope I'm right. And lastly the humor was good, I liked how the manager of hot dog stand got burnt, it was funny to see SpongeBob chasing Squidward and a mistaken death lady joke really got me. This is tied with The Sewers of Bikini Bottom as my favorite season 9.2 episosde. Well done SpongeBob.

Grade: A

In case some of you missed it, here's that reference to Sailor Mouth.

ZjJSwkh.png

And while I was finding this reference, I also found this.

8P1fBtP.png

Interesting. Does this sign mean Mr. Krabs isn't allowed because he did something terrible there or is it just sign for all krabs cuz they are so cheap (racist store maybe)? (D) 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

I also noticed an urchin in this episode. Possibly a callback to the episode: "EEK! An Urchin!"

Don't urchins play as part of the show anyway? They were in Nature Pants (on SpongeBob's whole body) if I remember correctly.