• Advertisement

Eminem

storytime7

Berzerk was a cool deviation from Eminem's (now) standard fare, the Beastie Boys esque production from Rick Rubin was very cool. It had some funny-ass lyrics, and he felt pretty unhinged while rapping. I liked it a lot, pretty excited for Marshal Mathers LP 2.

..Was I the only one who cracked up when his voice cracked? :P "LETS TAKE IT BACK TO STRAIGHT HIP HOP AND START IT FROM SCRAAATCH"

WARNING: GIANT BUMP INCOMING

Eminem is a pretty cool guy, IMO. A lot of his early stuff is incredibly funny (in a sick way) and was most likely due to his pretty terrible life at the time. His earlier stuff, like "Kim" and "Stan" are truly messed up in every sense of the word. However, as Eminem got his life together, his songs less resembled deranged rape fantasies and gained more structure and solidity. His newer stuff is pretty good. I like things like "I'm Not Afraid" and "No Love", and even his verses on "Airplanes" with B.O.B were pretty great. I also like how he can channel elements of his past self into his new verses- His verses from "Roman's Revenge" feel like he had written them in 2000 and used them ten years later. Some pretty dark stuff in there.

All in all, a pretty good rapper.

go fuck yourself you dumbass

ignoring that lil ignorant bitch up there

As time has gone on and my pallet in rap has widened, Eminem fell off the spectrum for me because it's very hard to like an artist as a whole when just about half of their discography is trash. MMLP2 came and went and it was alright. And while I can't say that I love the album or anything, I took a recent re-listen to it, and I do have a newfound respect for it, because it's probably the cleverest example of a loose concept album I've seen from an artist and probably one of the best sequels just because of it. 

Back in 2000 on MMLP, Eminem was talking about raping and cutting up women and smoking and doing drugs and y'know, stuff you don't want your kids to hear, and as a defense mechanism Eminem in interviews would always say "You can't blame me for saying that stuff; it's Slim Shady, not me!" The entire point of the original Marshall Mathers LP was to blur the line between Marshall Mathers and Slim Shady, and make you wonder who was saying what and if Marshall/Slim really believed what they were saying. 

"A lotta people think that what I say on record, or what I talk about on a record, is stuff I actually do in real life, or that I believe in it. They think that if I say I'm gonna kill somebody, that I'm gonna do it, or that I believe in it. Well shit, if you believe that.... Then I'll kill you."

13 years later, Eminem makes MMLP2, which has a running theme of karma. It's not a sequel just in the fact that he's trying to bring back that MMLP feel in the songs- it's a sequel in terms of it literally continues stories from the original, but it doesn't just continue certain stories- it shows the effects that things from the original album have on Eminem, and how they've come back to haunt him because of how he acted back in 2000 and how he blamed it on Shady. It's kinda complicated but it makes a lot of sense. 

A prime example is "Bad Guy", which is a sequel to "Stan" where Stan's little brother kidnaps Eminem and drives his car into a river as revenge for what happened in Stan. Songs like that, and other songs referencing how Eminem's karma from 13 years ago is coming back on him while simultaneously being a sequel to a song from MMLP is just clever to an almost genius level. Bad Guy isn't the only song like this, and it's really interesting. MMLP2 is like a deconstruction and a sequel and at the same time the message is the very antithesis of MMLP. It's kind of genius, and probably the best way I've seen a sequel album be done in a while, and possibly ever.

I wrote this for KTT and thought I'd share here. I find the whole thing really interesting, regardless of the albums quality. It wasn't awful, had some interesting stuff like Love Game and So Far, and it contains one of his best verses of all time:

so yeah.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2012 at 10:09 PM, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

his verses on "Airplanes" with B.O.B were pretty great.

quit daydreaming kid

You need to get your cranium checked

you thinking like an alien

and just ain't realistic

okay

I dig his early work, but otherwise he's kind of struck to me as pretty dull for everything past Lose Yourself. I haven't heard much he's done recently, but I have heard this:

I'm... not sure if I agree he's good at freestyling, Kat.

I mean, this did generate laughs, so that counts for something I guess

2 hours ago, Burgerpants said:

okay

Ignoring the fact that you quoted me with my trash ass opinions from nearly a decade ago, you also quoted lines that there really aren't an issue with? Are those supposed to be bad?

for all that I dislike about modern Eminem, despite the fact that his verses occasionally devolve into screaming random shit that rhymes very well just because, that Airplanes verse still stands as one of the best things he's ever done post-comeback and I'll defend that opinion from my trash ass 14 year old self until the day I die 

also lol @ saying Eminem can't freestyle based off one freestyle but ok ??

on another note Walk on Water fuckin sucks and I'm not sure I can say I love Untouchable but it was certainly interesting 

dont think his album that's dropping on Friday is gonna be very good but we'll see 

5 minutes ago, Zooey Deschanelf said:

He was on Airplanes part 2, not the original.

You could tell that Fred thought that 2010 was quite a forgettable year of music for him when he didn't know this version existed.

ANYWAYYYYYYYS, I don't really see an issue about his verses on this song. Sure, it's not one of my favorites from him but at least he sounds more competent here than another certain song where one of the lyrics is literally "CHUBBA CHIBBA CHUBBA CHUBBA CHUBBA CHUBBI".

14 minutes ago, Young Nug said:

hot take: Revival has two of Eminem’s best songs

not just post-comeback, but like, ever

album as a whole fuckin sucks though 

what are these two songs so i can mercifully skip the rest of the album

Did not like Revival.  If it wasn’t for Relapse, I would consider this his worst album ever.  The music just isn’t there to backup some of Eminem’s corniest and cringiest lines he’s ever recorded.  It’s 2017/2018 Marshall.  The rape jokes have long since expired.  Plus the heavy amounts of reliance on guest artists for this album is just a further sign as to how lazy this album felt along with production and sampling that felt rushed and some that made zero sense  in terms of fitting with the song itself.

All that being said, Castle is definitely the highlight of the album for me.  And despite what I said about the endless amount of collaborations Em has on here, his one with Alicia Keys is the best.  But that’s pretty much it for me in terms of the positive for Revival.