• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2015 Edition

Clappy

28. The fact that this episode partners with "A Pal For Gary" sorta adds insult to injury, I don't feel hatred for this episode as I used to (since I understand the whole "police are stupid" gag), but it's still got some bad moments I don't wanna look into.

27. I don't think this episode is bad. Not bad enough for the list. It was just kinda boring for me to sit through.

26. I must be the only person here(?) who doesn't have such a big problem with the ending. If there's someone to blame for the ending that reveals that Plankton can't even have a regular customer, I'd blame Nat or Karen for their deal towards each other which reveals Nat was pretending to enjoy Plankton's food. To me, Mr. Krabs was just being Mr. Krabs, trying to prevent his most hated enemy from getting what he wants. Sure, it's crazy he would even prevent Plankton from even having a customer, but Nat was faking in the first place. AT LEAST Krabs gets some sort of karma before that reveal, seeing him stuck in the giant spoon for the rest of the episode. One thing I didn't like though was sympathetic/likeable Plankton. If you're going to write likeable Plankton in an episode, don't forget to make him unlikeable too.

25. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no one likes it when Patrick gets mean, but he has a reason for that. If there was any-whom's character that I hated in the episode, it was Squidward and how he just shoots himself in one of his tentacles to suffer from Sam's temper.

24. I thought it was a fairly good episode with a clear moral, bite me.

23. This episode was close to being one of my least favorite episodes. "Special episodes" get a lot of heated discussion/debates, so I ought to set this one out.

22. The criticisms this episode gets make me groan, honestly. "It's a filler, Mr. Krabs is going nuts over a stupid penny, he's so annoying....but you know what I think?" You know what what I think about the whole Mr. Krabs going absolutely crazy over something as petty as a penny Spongebob picked up type of plot? He goes so over the top, that it's pretty much the point. Don't forget Mr. Krabs is greedy, he's so greedy that he'll even fall for a penny. Remember that one scene from Imitation Krabs where Mr. Krabs falls for a penny that Plankton tosses over as a distraction? That episode sure didn't become utterly dedication to it, but what's the point of criticizing Krabs' character in Penny Foolish? Did I also mention that I find some jokes here pretty funny? I'm sorry, but I do, and it makes the episode at least interesting and less like a "filler."

21. I don't hate the episode. I'm sorry, but I just don't.

20. If I were to argue with this episode being #20, I'd post a long rant of why I honestly enjoyed it in this topic....or I could make an entire topic just for that.

19. This episode and its humor was way too juvenile for me to hate. Sometimes I feel like I'm too old to be trying to enjoy that episode.

18. Ehhhh....I've seen worse. If anything worth mentioning, Squidward was pretty unlikeable in that ep.

17. Finally another episode I hate that made the list. I couldn't agree more.

16. (See my commentary on the episode)

15. (See my commentary on the episode)

14. With all the pacing problems I find in the episode, it somewhat shows the writers had writer's block and finished the episode in spite of that. If they ran out of ideas, why get to work on it anyways?...oh yeah, deadlines. I don't get deep hatred from this episode, even with its awkward moments, it doesn't annoy the heck out of me.

13. I wouldn't say that this is literally 11 minutes of crying, more figuratively 11 minutes of incredibly annoying melodrama. The episode still has crying, and I think it's just grating, coming from a guy who can apparently deal with almost any episode where Spongebob cries so much.

12. Don't have a lot to say about this one.

11. Plankton apparently saves this episode for me for being enjoyably evil. The Sandy sub-plot is pretty cruel, so IMO, the episode is hard to love and hard to hate.

10. I've seen this episode getting a little too much hate, so I'm one of those people who think this episode isn't as bad as anybody says it is.

9. I'm just not going to let the stereotypes or the "Spongebob is being offensive" conviction make me dig too deep on the episode.

8. Dangerously close to my least favorite episodes list. I don't see myself liking it just because it's disgusting, like virtually anybody would think, but Patrick being unlikeable and the dry humor is what gets me.

7. I think this episode had some funny moments, I'm not sorry.

6. The hate this episode gets proves to me of how I'm tired of Spongebob episodes getting criticized for the looks of things. A couple things I would only nitpick is the doorbell scene and Larry somehow forgetting who Spongebob is. It screams to me, "I don't get it."

5. I kinda salvage the episode for how utterly insane it got, makes the episode interesting/memorable, but the creepiness is just ugh....

4. For a good reason, this episode became one of my least favorites. Spongebob gets tossed around a lot until near the end. Patrick, his best friend, being at fault for using the "forever glue" is the biggest offender, already making it hard to root for him and see any morality from him. Spongebob also gets an out of character moment when having a spat with Patrick, making him cry. That scene also makes it hard to sympathize for Spongebob, at the same time as sympathizing for Patrick when he's still the reason for giving Spongebob torture. It gets worse even by the end with the "crying does solve your problems" moral the writers try to throw at us. It ends up being tasteless, especially as a breaking the 4th wall moment. Then you got the end, where both Spongebob and Patrick get stuck inside the wringer. I love a happy ending, don't you? At least it didn't end with Spongebob and Patrick not reconciling, since even the post-movie writers would not dare to give us something like that.

3. Like I've said before, I'm done talking about this episode. Just read whatever posts I've made about the episode in the respective thread if you want to know my thoughts about it.

2. I'm probably the only one who can bear the disgust factor the episode gives out. I'm sorry.

1. Any Spongebob fan you come across hates this episode. Just about every Spongebob detractor hated this episode. Your mom hated this episode. Your dog hated this episode. I hated this episode, and it's safe if I'd keep imagining that this never happened. A Pal For Gary being the #1 worst is something I've always saw coming. However, I'm not saying that this is my all-time worst episode (you guys can already tell), but I can't argue with how groundbreakingly bad the episode has become, especially with the "You put Fluffy down!" line.

• Like 1

I thought Fungus Among Us was an amusing episode. I think the writers wanted to do a cool story with a real epidemic. For me, it worked, I thought it was cool to see something like that in Bikini Bottom. As for the gross out, I think that the writers even tried to make it look bearable, because I think it just looks like something that could be kelp and even looked kinda funny and bright. Of course, the popping wasn't necessary, but it wasn't all that bad to me. In fact I thought the whole piece was awesome.

Now for APFG, I didn't like the second half of it either. It's so crual to watch SpongeBob not getting insight in Gary's perpective. But you know, although things like this could ruin an episode, for me it's not the worst thing that could happen. I just hate episodes like 'New Fish in Town' where jokes are nowhere as funny as SpongeBob used to be. I'm actually kinda dissapointed that one wasn't on this list.

Fungus Among Us: Okay, I've seen SO MUCH end up on this list, from constant torturing of the innocent, Squidward specifically, Patrick's forever-dropping character, examples of highly out-of-place creepy elements, SpongeBob either stupidly or actively being annoying through crying, laughing or taking away people's opportunities, grotesque and very highly detailed close-ups of relateable pains such as splinters or toenails, whilst the regular animation being effortless, Mr. Krabs going to the point where he'd spend millions on a single penny or one customer, highly saturated and undeveloped specials, specials full of loads of wasted potential, Gary being dehydrated and almost burned, times where any and all conflict is saved until the end, discrimination, racism, hypocrisy, slavery, multiple times that are actively centered around murder and suicide, and terribly crafted joke morals that kid's won't understand and may take the wrong way, no, that isn't NEARLY as terrible as, uh, uh...

An episode with a mildly inconsistent story with some, uh, mild gross-out in the form of just, green speckled stuff?

I don't like this episode, I never have liked this episode, but come on, what is there to hate? What do I fail to see that so many of you've spotted? Sure, it's disturbing that there's an infectuous disease spreading that seems to be noticed differently at different times but it's a fungus that noone up here'll get, and all it is some scratching and a slighltly different color. And if you're compaining it's biolically inaccurate, the show's about an anthropomorphic talking kitchen sponge living in a pineapple on the ocean floor, there's leeway for that kind of stuff. And honeslty, I can see what they were going for with the contagion. What's so harmful about it that it managed to get on so many people's lists? I mean, I really can't find any reasoning strong enough.

A Pal for Gary: This was #6 on my list. Like Atlantis SquarePantis, there is absolutely nothing I can say about it that isn't redundant. It isn't out of laziness, it's just the truth.

But yeah, it's fantastic that we made it so far! :D Now let's head on and wait for the 2017 Edition!

I'm Waiting. I'm Waiting. I'm Waiting. I'm Waiting--

But in all seriousness, I can't wait for the Best list coinciding with it. I hope it'll be as diverse and entertaining as this one. :)

• Like 1

For me, it's not what Fungus Among Us gives us, it's what it doesn't give us. As in, humour. I guess some people saw something in it that I didn't, but for me, it was just a useless bore all the way through, and having to sit through scenes like this...

241.png

didn't help.

I really do appreciate all the different viewpoints, though. Goes to show that there's no episode, even A Pal for Gary, that is universally hated!

• Like 1

I guess I can leak my list:

1. Fungus Among Us

2. A Pal For Gary

3. Pet or Pests

4. Choir Boys

5. Big Sister Sam

6. Someone's In The Kitchen With Sandy

7. Face Freeze!

8. SpongeHenge

9. Demolition Doofus

10. Stanley S. SquarePants

11. To Love A Patty

12. Whale of a Birthday

13. Cephalopod Lodge

14. Bossy Boots

15. All That Glitters

16. You Don't Know Sponge

17. Stuck in the Wringer

18. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom

19. Nature Pants

20. Summer Job

21. Sponge-Cano

22. Trenchbilles

23. Are You Happy Now?

24. One Coarse Meal

25. Porous Pockets

You guys already know how I feel about A Pal For Gary, so I'll just talk about Fungus Among Us. This episode is gross for the sake of being gross, unfunny, and Squidward and Patrick are unlikeable. 

Well, this was fun. I enjoyed providing commentary as well as reading others'. :D

Now that I know how this Top 50 came to be, I just want to know....

How do episodes like Breath of Fresh Squidward, Gone, and Sun Bleached (three episodes from my list, of course) fly past your guys' radars, because I thought those were some the worst post-movie episodes I've seen?

I'm actually going to do a post on honorable mentions at some point if I can find my calculations again. But Breath of Fresh Squidward and Sun Bleached were two of them.

But all three episodes you listed off, I personally like. Gone is one of the best episodes of Season 6 and Breath of Fresh Squidward is one of the best episodes of Season 5 to me. Gone because that's an episode that does having a major character drive into total insanity done right. Breath of Fresh Squidward because I find it a great character swap episode watching SpongeBob and Squidward swap roles, I don't even mind the mean spirited nature. Sun Bleached....eh it's 6/10, but I still find myself defending that one for being underrated despite the bad message about tanning. I think there are some good jokes in that episode.

• Like 2

Ok so I couldn't calculate the amount of lists the following episodes were on, but I do have the point totals and the episodes that were honorable mentions for the worst list.  So if you were intrigued as to what episodes barely missed the list, here are the episodes that had a point total of 40 or more.  I already leaked some of these on the XAT the other day but I missed a few more when looking back at what almost made the list.  So without further ado, here are the....

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Rodeo Daze - 46 points

The Sponge Who Could Fly - 45 points

New Leaf - 45 points

Breath of Fresh Squidward - 45 points

Stanley S SquarePants - 43 points

Squid Wood - 42 points

Sun Bleached - 41 points

Can You Spare a Dime - 41 points

I Was a Teenage Gary - 40 points

Dear Vikings - 40 points

Now just because More/Fluttershy bumped the 2013 topic wondering who's and what number one missed the list that go around.....I don't know.  I didn't save the 2013 lists which was why I asked for new lists this year even if things didn't change.  But just so I don't make the same mistake twice, one number one didn't make the Top 50 this year too.  And this one did make the honorable mentions list.  It was I Was a Teenage Gary which was Steel's number one.

Alright everything should be wrapped up now unless anyone has any other questions about this whole process or any other questions about lists and stuff.  If you haven't sent Wumbo your best list, you totally should because I want his to be as participated in as the worst list was.  I know I'm definitely sending him one for me.  I'm just planning on putting extra effort into it because I feel like my taste in SpongeBob episodes have diversified since I last sent him one. :)

• Like 2

I Was a Teenage Gary is one of the most inventive, creative, and fun episodes the series has ever done. Steel I gotta say, that hurts me almost as much as Pranks a Lot as #1.

Also yes send me your best lists! I'm aiming for at least 20 this year, and if the numbers continue I can see us reaching that goal. ^^

Wow we go from a lot of people hating Dear Vikings to it being on the honorable mentions, kind of like The Splinter these days. Can You Spare a Dime, I Was a Teenage Gary and New Leaf are all good in my book though. :(

• Like 1

I Was a Teenage Gary is one of the most inventive, creative, and fun episodes the series has ever done. Steel I gotta say, that hurts me almost as much as Pranks a Lot as #1.

Wumbo, I will say that I do respect your opinion, I understand why you've liked the episode, but understand that there's that somebody who....happens to hate a certain number of pre-movie episodes. I pick I Was A Teenage Gary as my number one because it stuck with me. It stuck with me for over 10 years as my all-time least favorite episode. I've despised it with all of my heart from my own personal experience. On top of that, episodes like Can You Spare a Dime and Sponge Who Could Fly, also with enough points to make the honorable mentions list, I've pitted them down from my personal past experience and have hated them since I first saw them, just like IWATG. Not trying to sound discouraging here, but if that hurts to see IWATG near the bottom 50, heal yourself (and remind yourself how it at least didn't make the actual list). I know this Top 50 itself is a big democracy, but there's still going to be aspects/opinions/positions anyone's going to disagree with. For example, while I do realize not everyone hated the special, but I'm probably the only one who didn't think Truth or Square was a letdown/disappointment retrospectively.

Okay, you know what, that honestly makes sense. I see your perspective a lot clearer now, on how if you hate an episode from Season 1 the first time you watched it, it would sort of develop a reputation with you. I guess I just come from a different mindset where I think there's something to admire in all the pre-movie episodes (even I'm with Stupid, which honestly I should have left off my list this year). Call me a hopeless nostalgic if you want, but that's my perspective. And I guess it just strikes a chord with me when an episode I've loved since childhood is hit with such negativity. But hell, that's life and that's opinion for ya.

• Like 1

Huh, surprised The Card managed to miss the radar entirely given just how hated it seems to be now.

The Card did get 38 points and made like 4 lists if I'm not mistaken. I don't really hate The Card either. Patrick is frustratingly stupid but it's a 4/10 episode. It's bad but there are worse offenders of the show that deserve more hatred to me anyway.

I think it would be interesting to see the statistics of the episodes, in a way that we can see how many episodes each season has on this list. (Maybe in different colours or something).

Hmm sounds interesting in theory. I might look into doing this, but not entirely sure.
  • Like 1

Here's a question. Which episode that only appeared on one, and only one, list got the highest point count?

(And actually, I contibuted 10 of those 38)

That's easy. Trophy had Hooky as his number two and that was the only list it showed up on.