• Advertisement

Toy Story 4

terminoob

Synopsis sounds like trash, trailers looks like nothing special (besides graphics, but that's Pixar we are talking about)

Never thought that I will be more hyped to see Pokemon movie than next Pixar cartoon, but here we are.

Am I LITERALLY the only person who's noticed so far that every single "Toy Story" movie made so far, involves at LEAST Woody and Buzz either purposefully or unintentionally separating themselves from their current owner in EVERY SINGLE "Toy Story" movie made so far?! o.o You would THINK that the writers at Pixar could have come up with a more original premise by now! :rolleyes: That being said, I'm STILL probably going to go see it, just to see how they wrap up the story between Woody and Bo, because I'm a hypocrite because I'm stubborn! :hysterical: Enough said! ;)

• Funny 2

Story looks like higly unoriginal rehash of TS2 and 3, with forced conflict. Trailer also is one of those trailers that spoil near all of darn movie.

Animation looks good, but that's where positives ended. I am no convinced that this movie needs to exist and it feels like blatant cash-grab.

Edited by Klu
  • Like 1

The rain and lighting effects in the movie look SO amazing! :cool: It's amazing how far C.G.I. has come in 24 years! :D

Holy C***!!!! That cat just straight up MURDERED that toy, and will the two carnival toys actually "Break the rules" for REAL, if that wasn't an imagine spot or something? We'll have to wait and see!

Enough said, true believers! ;)

• God Himself 1

Okay, I know how much I said this sequel was unneeded and how I wouldn't be interested in watching it, but my friend took me to go see it last night and, well...

Yes, I still think we could've done without a fourth movie, but did that mean the movie was bad? Surprisingly...no.

Spoiler

Honestly, I enjoyed my experience all the way through. I'm impressed with how far Pixar has come with its animation. I mean, if you look at how Bo Peep looks in the first two movies and compare her to how she looks here, there's a surprising amount of detail on her dress...not to mention porcelain skin. 

As for the plot...well, it's pretty much what you've seen in the previous Toy Storys: The child is growing up and the toys (mostly Woody) worry that they'll be forgotten over time. Though to be fair, while watching, I thought I had the rest of the plot figured out, but surprisingly, it had a few turns that I did not expect. The "Villain" Gabby Gabby was unlike all the previous villains of the Toy Story franchise. Having never been loved before or having been loved but rejected, once her plot is revealed you expect her to go malicious like Losto or Stinky Pete. But Nope, despite her creepy dummy companions, she had new features that I did not expect and I did enjoy them. And I'm not gonna lie, at the end of her story, I found myself tearing up.

In regards to Forky, he was definitely the best character of the whole movie. He was hilarious every time he was on screen. Being a spork that was suddenly brought to life despite his purpose being that he is usually thrown away in the trash was good for a laugh and the montage of him frequently putting himself in the trash and Woody having to drag him back to Bonnie was entertaining. Many of his lines and interactions with Woody and Gabby Gabby were really fun to watch.

The other new toys, Duke Kaboom and the carnival plushies, they were enjoyable as well. I particularly liked Duke and the backstory with his kid.

The plot with Bo Peep: Her interactions with Woody (and eventually the other toys) were really sweet. For those who complained about her not being in Toy Story 3, this movie does give the most logical reasons for her absence. Despite Andy always playing with her, in the end she was still Molly's toy, and once Molly no longer needed her she was willing to go and see what other child will need her. While I did find the whole idea of her suddenly being this action girl to be pretty farfetched, I got used to it pretty quickly and once you learn her story in the movie, it's pretty understandable. Her views on life make a great contrast to Woody's, and with her reuniting with Woody, you EXPECT her to eventually change and go wherever Woody goes. Well...

The ending...boy, I definitely did not see it coming. Another thing I admittedly teared up over. I thought the ending of 3 was hard, but the ending to 4?! Man, I cannot believe they took that route, especially given Woody's philosophy (It puts his whole "I'M A LOST TOY!" from the first movie in a new perspective), but I was okay with it. Given that it was his choice and the beginning of the movie established he was no longer needed. It was a pretty bold move and I'm pretty glad Pixar took that route. It does show Woody's growth as a character.

If Pixar is planning to make a Toy Story 5, I don't know how they would top this one. If they were wanting a more solid conclusion to the franchise, this would definitely be the way to go about it.

If you have spare time and are wanting to go to the theater to see a movie, I'd say this is worth checking out. It definitely wasn't the disappointment I was expecting it to be, so you might be pleasantly surprised as well.

• Like 2

It was good. Obviously not as good as the original trilogy, but I think it was a pretty good movie all around. Definitely the best Pixar sequel (Outside of the previous Toy Story Sequels).

Pros

• The animation was beautiful, the best looking animated Pixar movie yet, only Spiderverse really tops it in terms of CG animation
  • They really tackled Woody brilliantly. I think he's probably the most likable of a protagonist yet, which is really saying something for his character development considering how much he's evolved from a stuck-up jerk to a consistently paranoid yet well meaning guy, to finally letting it all go, and doing what makes him happy in life.
  • All the new characters were really solid. Bunny and Ducky (I prefer to call them Stuff n' Fluff) exceeded my expectations, they were great comedy reliefs, compared to how annoying the trailers made them appear. The villain's alright, I like what they did with her, Duke Caboom is an awesome new character, Forky is fantastic, completely exceeded all expectations, hilarious and a totally likable new character. Giggle McDimples was the only one I thought was alright. She wasn't good, but she wasn't terrible.
  • Speaking of the villain, thank god we didn't have to sit through all that "Twist villain" crap, and right from the get-go, she's the villain. Really preferred the sympathetic twist on her character rather than the norms of mediocre modern-day villains. Loved her henchmen too, the Bensons were hilarious. Also, her mini-arc wraps up really good.
  • Bo is no longer boring, finally.
  • This movie is a lot funnier than it should've been. Surprisingly I got some really good laughs out of this film. That key joke is fantastic, the hilarious cutaway buildups, and that payoff, oh my god, the pacing of this joke is so brilliant, by far the funniest part of the film. I loved the toys messing with Bonnie's dad when they were fooling around, controlling the RV. It had some real Pizza Planet TS2 vibes, really hilarious stuff. Also, Buzz is really funny in this movie.

Cons

• You don't have to tell me twice, they completely misused the ensemble cast. I get it, it's kind of a Toy Story 1 situation, you can't have all the toys leave, otherwise things would get suspicious. But I can't believe how little screen time they get. Like the trailers hyped it up to be yet another Toy Story 2 situation, but surprisingly not. I guess 3 just balanced out the ensemble so perfectly, it was a little too jarring dropping down to like a few characters, rather than a whole group. The biggest problem I had with this was Buzz and Jessie. Buzz has a lot less screen time than the previous films. I get it's a Woody-centered story, but Buzz is Woody's best friend. Considering how important this is to Woody's arc, Buzz should've had a much more prominent role. At least he has some kind of role, unlike Jessie. I was really surprised how little Jessie was used in this film. She practically established herself as a main character in 2, why she didn't have a bigger role is beyond me. She has a larger role in the promotional material for this film than the actual movie itself. Hands down the biggest disappointment was how sparsely Jessie was used.
  • Gabby Gabby wasn't much of a threat to the characters. Yeah she had henchmen, but after seeing Lotso's tight grip on Sunnyside, how he ran the place, he was a menace, he was an unstoppable force to be reckoned with, he was intimidating to the characters. Gabby, her whole villainous grip on the Antique Store just feels like a sub-par Lotso. I like the sympathetic character building stuff, but as a villain, she's incredibly weak. Nowhere near as interesting as Lotso or even Stinky Pete.
  • Buzz seemed a little too out of character here. He always had his dopey, naive moments every now and again (Schmoes), but he felt a little too dippy in this film, even for my taste. I liked the whole conscience bit, but it got way too far when he relied on this stupid (Albeit funny) running gag during the emotional climax of the film. They dumbed him down a little too much, he should've been wiser and accompany Woody during the final trek. That way the ending could be actually impactful, Buzz and Woody are supposed to be best friends, but they barely do anything together in this movie, so there's sort of an empty feeling when they're split up. Oh, and speaking of the ending.
  • The ending. I have very mixed feelings on the ending. On one hand, I didn't want to see Woody go because 3 had just...such a perfect ending to all the characters. Yeah, this plays into that, 4 is unnecessary, but a pretty good addition to consistent lineup of films. Surprisingly, probably the best fourth movie I've ever known of. So yeah, I felt, well if they wanna justify this film's existence, they need to do something impactful with the characters, which is exactly what the film did with Woody. In the film's context, it makes perfect sense. The film drops these hints, plays with Woody's emotions, and give you an idea of how he's not the special toy anymore in Bonnie's life, and doesn't really need to be there. Of course this contradicts Woody's motivations in the previous films, but I'm not going down that rabbit hole. I'd be more comfortable with Woody leaving had the ending not felt so rushed. The ending is super rushed, there's nothing heartfelt about his goodbyes to Buzz or any of the other characters. Yeah, it's sad, but in the context of the film, we hardly see him interact with the other toys. I mean yeah, we know how close he was to them in past films, but there's no emotional buildup to this ending. And I don't feel like Buzz would be so insistent on letting Woody leave. I feel like it should've been harder for both of them to grasp, maybe a moment of quiet for them to reflect on all the old times. Don't have Buzz tell Woody to go, make that connection through motion, have Buzz and Woody hug, an initially shocked and suddenly somber face covers Jessie, she rushes to Woody and hugs him, all the toys gather around and hug him (Kind of like in the actual film), and then have Woody walk off. Give time to breathe, have a heavier emphasis on how hard of a decision this departure is. Because it would be an emotional mess for the toys, this is their longtime good friend. Then of course you could end the film with those closing words. They'd feel a lot more impactful without Buzz shoving Woody out of the door. A much better version to an ending I didn't even want in the first place.
  • I also wanted a cameo from Andy during the mid-credits scene :p

Overall I really did like this film. It had it's faults, but it was still a solid movie.

• Like 1