• Advertisement

Clappy’s New Crap Cinema

Clappy

Part 2 of my 3 Part surprise.  I honestly wouldn't have gotten a good portion of likes without my old review thread.  I have been very tempted lately to bring it back.  But after I re-watched a very bad movie out of boredom the other day....very bad...I decided this really needs to come back.  I don't know why I changed it.  I don't know why I stopped it.  But this is returning with a very deserving welcome back review for a very certain bad movie.  I mean look at some of these reviews the critics are saying:

"Please, Hollywood, if there's to be another movie, hand the job to some efficient hack, and not to a once mesmerizing artist who's lost his way" - Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine

"This is a kid's movie that doesn't seem to realize that it's a kid's movie." - Dave White, movies.com

"A horrific mish-mash of genres that follows a depressingly large number of dead ends in adapting its source material." - Mike Edwards, Culture

"The film is an unmitigated disaster, a putrid patchwork of the original series stitched together by wretched performances, bad creative decisions and a story that's all exposition, no depth." - RL Shaffer, IGN

"It's rare to see a film so choppily edited, poorly scripted and spastically directed that you can barely understand what you're watching." - Rafer Guzman, Newsday

What movie could this possibly be?  Feel free to speculate because the review is coming soon in the next few days. :smirk:

• Like 5

OMJ knows. :smirk:

Spy Kids 4.

No but they do have that movie at gas stations now for $2.99.  I almost bought it for review material.

Electroma

What is this? :P

I'm of the opinion that Shyamalan didn't even watch the show, and instead went off a bunch of notes and some character design sheets that Nickelodeon sent him. There's absolutely no way anyone who actually watched the show could butcher the movie so badly.

• Like 2

Eh I still hated my scene more, but this is high up there. :P

Btw guys, I'm going to give you a heads up to my next review out of wanting to share the love with you guys. :smirk:

• Like 2

Eh I still hated my scene more, but this is high up there. :P

Btw guys, I'm going to give you a heads up to my next review out of wanting to share the love with you guys. :smirk:

Are you implying the Doug movie is not the pinnacle of cinematic excellence?

• Like 3

Are you implying the Doug movie is not the pinnacle of cinematic excellence?

Implying.

I just have been watching a lot of Nickelodeon themed movies lately. Granted everyone knows this was Disney's Doug, but I'm grouping it in anyway.

Nice comeback review! I'm not a huge Doug fanboy, I'll confess, but I do want to see your review of the movie. It's passable in my eyes, but NC's review of it is one of my all-time favorite reviews of his, and I want to see how you pull your own review of it off.

So aftert to two months without an installment, this is returning. Sorry for the delays, but:

-I got distracted with my music reviewing.

-Doug's 1st Movie did not have the first 1/5 and the last 1/5 of the movie on YouTube =\

-I lost my copy of my back up review movie "Ready 2 Rumble"

However, thanks to the magic of Netflix, I found a movie that deserves to be riffed by me. Review coming in the late afternoon or evening.

So aftert to two months without an installment, this is returning. Sorry for the delays, but:

-I got distracted with my music reviewing.

-Doug's 1st Movie did not have the first 1/5 and the last 1/5 of the movie on YouTube =\

-I lost my copy of my back up review movie "Ready 2 Rumble"

However, thanks to the magic of Netflix, I found a movie that deserves to be riffed by me. Review coming in the late afternoon or evening.

Well this didn't happen, but my review is finalized. I just need to add a few things to it. So coming before I leave for 1-2 weeks after this Wednesday, a review of Spy Kids 4-D: All The Time in the World.
  • Like 1

So yeah…after two failed attempts at movie reviews couldn’t get off the ground, I need to find some worthy material.  Off to Netflix I went and boy did I find plenty of movies alright.  Hell, I heavily considered reviewing a more recent spoof movie called “A Haunted House”.  Oh boy, that was easily the worst movie I’ve seen this year.  But here’s the thing.  It’s hard to review spoof movies because almost all of them are awful these days.  I can only beat down spoof movies to death before they become over-redundant in terms of descriptions.  But then I went to my recommendations.  I was being recommended Family movies because I’m not afraid to admit I dig through the children’s programming on there once in awhile.  I love my vintage cartoons and Netflix has a good library.  But as I was going through my recommendations I came across a sequel.  A sequel that was actually guessed upon when I revived this thread.  Terminoob, what was your guess again?

terminoob, on 07 Jul 2013 - 9:06 PM, said:

Spy Kids 4.

Good job buddy.

Spy_kids_four_all_the_time_in_the_world_

I don’t even need to worry about the 4D aromascope and neither should you guys.  I knew the movie smelt like shit the moment I saw the trailer two years ago.  Funny, but true story like I told terminoob up there.  As I was driving on my way back from Florida this summer, I stopped by a gas station somewhere in South Carolina.  As I was looking for some 5 Hour Energy and snack food to keep me active while driving, I noticed they had cheap DVDs for sale.  Of course, being the movie buff that I am, I couldn’t help but dig around the bargain bin to see what was being offered.  And what did I happen to come across?  This piece of crap.  Not even two years after it was released, it was already being sold for $2.99 at crappy gas stations.  I think it just had to be destiny that I would come across this movie again on Netflix.

Step one as to how I know this movie is god awful?  Well you have Jessica Alba as the main credit.  Guys, I understand.  Jessica Alba is incredibly hot.  She will always have that going for her and I don’t mind spending a hour and thirty minutes just simply staring at her dazzling beauty.  But for the love of God, we need to stop giving her the impression that she is a good actress because let’s face it, she’s awful.  She always has and I have never been impressed by her.  Not even in her breakout role in Sin City.  She gives the same blank acting performance in every single movie she’s in and she’s on full display here, especially in action scenes.  You know, action scenes; where you have to act like you give a damn no matter how awful of an actor or actress you are.  She can’t even do that right here.

Spoiler

OSS agent Marissa Wilson (Jessica Alba), is attempting to capture a criminal named Tick Tock (Jeremy Piven), who purchases a mini-disk stolen from OSS. Despite being nine months pregnant, and despite going into labor, she continues her pursuit, against the admonitions of her boss, Danger D'amo (also played by Jeremy Piven) and Tick Tock is captured. At the hospital, Marissa meets her spy-hunting TV host husband, Wilbur (Joel McHale) and her two stepchildren by him, twins Rebecca and Cecil (Rowan Blanchard and Mason Cook). After giving birth to a girl called Maria, she decides to retire.

Marissa views a television news report stating that time is speeding up really fast. A masked mastermind calling himself the Time Keeper.  And now let’s make that three parts played by Jeremy Piven.  Good god man, there better be a good payoff as to why you are playing three different roles in this movie because your audience is not this stupid.  As long as they are not all the same person, no movie would have that stupid of a plot twist…right? 

Anyway, go figure, The Time Keeper/Jeremy Piven is allied with the now escaped Tick Tock/Jeremy Piven.  He claims responsibility for the phenomena, saying he will unleash Project: Armageddon, as punishment upon a society he believes wastes time with meaningless pursuits instead of treasuring time with their loved ones.  You know that’s the theme of the movie and it’s not that bad of one, but good god do they drive the point home multiple times in the film.  They keep referencing it over and over again that I don’t blame society for not spending time with their loved ones thanks to this movie.

The OSS calls Marissa back out of retirement, and instructs her to bring the Chronos Sapphire with her. When Marissa requests it from Rebecca, it further strains their relationship, and when Marissa arrives at OSS headquarters with Maria, she discovers that the box Rebecca gave her did not contain the jewel.  Gasp!  You mean you wouldn’t check the box before you brought it to your boss?  Especially since she did THIS PRANK to you minutes before this happened?

0606526_47781_MC_Tx360.jpg

Yeah have I mentioned yet that Rebecca likes to prank people?  That’s her character.  A prankster.  They just throw that out of nowhere, just like I’m bringing this up out of nowhere.  Oh and how about Cecil.  Does he have any characteristics?  Well he’s hearing impaired, but we never know why and how.  They just bring it up once in the movie.  That’s it.  Just all these characters are so horribly put together it’s really hard to have a bond with any of them.  Not even old characters brought back like Carmen and Juni.  Oh and the usual Robert Rodriguez special, the Danny Trejo cameo as Uncle Machete.  However, everyone is now use to this Machete instead of the Spy Kids Machete:

Machete-Kills-2013-full-movie-online1.jp

Anyway, back to the movie:

Before Marissa can return home, Tick Tock's henchmen break into their house, and Rebecca and Cecil are directed to take refuse in a secret Panic Room built into their home, where they view a video of Marissa informing the children of her secret career. The incredulous twins are further shocked when their dog, Argonaut, begins to speak, revealing himself to be an intelligent robot.  This brings the only silver lining in the whole movie because Argonaut is voiced by Ricky Gervais.  Ricky Gervais has perfect comedic timing and is always a pleasure to hear in this dreadful movie.  Which makes me wonder, why is Ricky Gervais in this in the first place?  Eh, I’m not going to question it and just enjoy Gervais as much as possible.

The twins escape the house and head the OSS, managing to evade pursuit by the Time Keeper's masked minions with…vomit (I wish I was making this up people).

Spoiler

They are greeted by Carmen Cortez (Alexa Vega), who reveals that she is Marissa's niece, and that Carmen Cortez sure has grown up.  Hubba hubba.

alex-vega.jpg

Carmen gives the twins a tour of the now-defunct Spy Kids Division, and the weapons its juvenile agents used before budget cuts shut it down. Carmen lets the twins each pick out one deactivated gadget as a souvenir.  I sure hope these gadgets come in handy later in the movie. #obviously #sarcasm

After a battle at a clock shop the OSS agents are debriefed on the Wells Experiment, which almost caused the end of the world. The OSS shut down the experiment and placed the device under lockdown. Among the agents assigned to the case is Carmen's brother, Juni Cortez (Daryl Sabara), who has been on a secret mission, and hasn't seen her in seven years. Bitter over their estrangement, she tosses his ID badge in the garbage out of spite.  Ugh, there is nothing as awful as forced conflict.  I’m serious.  He hasn’t seen her in seven years, so she is mad at him!?  I mean he is doing his job for god’s sake and I’m pretty sure in one of the earlier Spy Kids movies (correct me if I’m wrong), Carmen was the one who made a comment about how spy duties come first.  KEEP UP WITH THE CONSISTENCY ROBERT RODRIGUEZ!

The twins are relegated to their waiting room, and when they confront Danger D'amo over the fact that his watch is similar to the one worn by the Time Keeper, and the fact that his name is an anagram of Armageddon, he confirms that he is the Time Keeper, and imprisons them.  So Jeremy Piven is Jeremy Piven and Jeremy Piven.  Also, keeping track, the stupid plot twist I called earlier is correct.  Anyone with half a brain would have figured out that all these Jeremy Pivens would be intertwined into one Jeremy Piven, hence making Jeremy Piven the main villain.  So when Jeremy Piven turned on the OSS to align with Jeremy Piven and Jeremy Piven, this resulted in this:

facepalm.jpg?w=320

When a group of OSS agents led by Marissa, Carmen and Juni return to the clock shop to confront the Jeremy Piven, he freezes the agents in time using circuitry in their ID badges that he can control with his watch., and does the same on a more massive scale to 18 major cities around the globe. Juni, however, whose badge was thrown away by Carmen, is still free, and manages to free Marissa and Carmen.  BOO!  BOO!  YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME MOVIE!  THIS TWIST IS WORSE THAN THE JEREMY PIVEN ONE!

Danger reveals to the twins that his father was the head of the Wells Experiment, and that he was the boy frozen in time. His father spent the remainder of his life trying unsuccessfully to set him free. The OSS managed to shut down the experiment with the Chronos Sapphire, which fell to Earth as a meteorite. After the family stops all the Jeremy Pivens from ending the world Carmen and Juni announce that they will lead a revived Spy Kids program, while Rebecca and Cecil go on to become recruiters of new agents themselves.

Thus that was Spy Kids 4…and you know what?  I think four is an accurate number.

Adam.jpg

Adam.jpg

Adam.jpg

Adam.jpg

My god was this a boringly awful pain in the ass.  Spy Kids should have never became a trilogy, let alone having a fourth movie.  This series lost it’s charm a long time ago and a revival didn’t do anything but make this series even worse.  The new kids have no charm let alone redeeming qualities, the old kids act like oblivious dumbasses, the multiple Jeremy Piven plot twist is horrendous, and Jessica Alba’s acting is just abysmal.  I don’t care if she’s hot.  If I never see her “act” in a movie again, I’ll be perfectly content.

However, I think the main problem with this movie is Robert Rodriguez.  I haven’t been impressed with Robert Rodriguez in nearly a decade (except for Machete, which is only ok).  Long gone is the man who made some of my biggest guilty pleasure films like Desperado, From Dusk Til Dawn, The Faculty, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Sin City, the original Spy Kids just to name a few.  What has he done since then?

-Shark Boy and Lava Girl

-Shorts

-That awful Predators remake

-Machete Kills

-Planet Terror

I’m sorry, but Robert Rodriguez has stopped trying to make good movies.   Quit making shitty family comedies and cheap schlock films.  Give me my sequel to Sin City that you have been promising for the past decade.  Then you can do whatever the hell you desire.  I’m just tired of this guy being given so much praise when he hasn’t been trying to make good movies in quite some time.  Robert Rodriguez, hopefully Machete Kills bombing at the box office has waken you up.

• Like 3