• Advertisement

Clappy’s New Crap Cinema

Clappy

I hate to be "that guy" to defend this movie, but there are some points I think need defending:

- Check out the age everyone was in the first Fantastic Four - barring Michael Chiklis, everyone was a lot younger than these guys. Chris Evans was, like, 21 or 22. These guys just look a lot younger. I mentioned in my review that they might've been going for Ultimate Fantastic Four, which would make sense given the look of everyone because in those comics everyone's a little bit younger.

- Reed's an asshole, I had no problem with him leaving Ben and his because he was on the pursuit for knowledge. That's what he does. There's a storyline in the comics where he creates an interdimensional transporter and transports himself to a council of Reed Richards' from across different dimensions and they use their combined intellect to help stop the problems in the world, but Sue tells Reed it's a stupid idea to continue that and that he should stop but he doesn't listen to her because he has a hunger for knowledge and science and understanding. It blows up in his face, like all of his things do, and there are serious repercussions (that I won't get into because we'll be here all day) and it could've been avoided if he wasn't so into science that it made him a dick.

- I have no problem with him changing his face. He's not changing his form. He's made of rubber - rubber stretches, he should be able to do that. I thought that was very Reed Richards of him to think of.

- The government mentions they're tracking Reed with satellites whenever he goes on the grid, but because he doesn't do that a lot they can't find him and they need Sue to do that because she's good at pattern recognition (which is mentioned earlier in the film), and I think Sue was looking at the code of Reed's last ping to the satellite. I dunno. I don't think it was that flimsy but it definitely could've made more sense.

- They actually did strike a bargain - kind of. The Thing is working for them because they promised him they'd find a cure, and Johnny is good at doing this so he wants to be used. I don't think Johnny needed anything in exchange for wanting to be a weapon because he liked the idea of being the best at it. Sue is hesitant and she just listens to her dad. I don't remember what her deal was, or if they offered her a deal.

- The Thing has 43 kills because he's being used as a military weapon. From what I understood he's not a serial killer. He's doing the government's dirty work. Killing terrorists and criminals, probably.

Overall though, yeah. Pretty shit movie.

Edit: OH. I forgot. This isn't even gonna be defending the movie:

- Sue doesn't even laugh at anything Reed says. Victor gets mad at them for laughing together. If you remember that scene, Reed doesn't make a joke. They're talking about Sue's adoption and Reed asks where she was from and Sue tells him whatever country she's from and Reed says "you don't have an accent" and Sue says "I don't?" in a fake accent, and then Reed laughs, and that makes Sue laugh, and then they keep laughing. Doom has even less of a reason to hate Reed because he wasn't even the one that made Sue laugh. Sue made herself laugh.

-Chris Evans and Jessica Alba were young yes and it passed my mind while making that comment but their characters, but Ioan Gruffudd was in his mid 30s too with Chiklis. I was just confused because Evans and Alba were playing older characters in the first movie and I had no clue that Ultimate Fantastic Four was about younger characters. I guess I reprimand that.

-I think it's well established Reed is an asshole. But he tells Ben that he will be there for him in the containment scene only to ditch him. There were far more instances of Reed being a dick that it just got me sick of him at all.

-I thought it was said that Reed was good at pattern recognition not Sue? Either way, that entire time hop could have made a shit ton more sense. Probably something that Fox cut out of Trank's original copy I have no clue.

-This was when I was starting to zone out to be honest and nothing repressed into my memory so thanks for establishing about Ben's deal with the government. I still absolutely hate that they made him a weapon of mass destruction though. Maybe he was unleashing rage due to the abuse he took as a child but even then, Ben has a much better moral sense of judgment than take another's life criminal or terrorist. Just how badly they fucked up Ben really pissed me off.

-Oh yeah that's right. So that makes "the love triangle" even worse or virtually non existant. Thanks.

-Chris Evans and Jessica Alba were young yes and it passed my mind while making that comment but their characters, but Ioan Gruffudd was in his mid 30s too with Chiklis. I was just confused because Evans and Alba were playing older characters in the first movie and I had no clue that Ultimate Fantastic Four was about younger characters. I guess I reprimand that.

-I think it's well established Reed is an asshole. But he tells Ben that he will be there for him in the containment scene only to ditch him. There were far more instances of Reed being a dick that it just got me sick of him at all.

-I thought it was said that Reed was good at pattern recognition not Sue? Either way, that entire time hop could have made a shit ton more sense. Probably something that Fox cut out of Trank's original copy I have no clue.

-This was when I was starting to zone out to be honest and nothing repressed into my memory so thanks for establishing about Ben's deal with the government. I still absolutely hate that they made him a weapon of mass destruction though. Maybe he was unleashing rage due to the abuse he took as a child but even then, Ben has a much better moral sense of judgment than take another's life criminal or terrorist. Just how badly they fucked up Ben really pissed me off.

-Oh yeah that's right. So that makes "the love triangle" even worse or virtually non existant. Thanks.

- Ioan Gruffud is 41 now and the first Fantastic Four movie came out in 2005, so when it came out he would've been 31 - which is a year younger than Kate Mara. It's just weird because Chris Evans and Jessica Alba were so much younger and Michael Chiklis was so much older. He would've been probably 29 or 30 while he was filming it, too. Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell are all late-twenties.

- Fair enough.

- They said it was Sue that was good at patterns. She's good at pattern recognition because she likes music and music is a series of patterns (which she actually tells Reed). I was mostly fine with that. Reed talks about Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea during the scene too and it's when he mentions Captain Nemo and that's what helps Sue find Reed later when she's looking in the code.

- I think this version of Ben was just a lot darker than we're used to which was weird. He had such a crappy childhood and it seemed to be implied that Reed was his only friend (because otherwise I don't see why they'd hang out together all the time and be best friends), and then he gets his life fucked up and his only friend leaves him in a government lab for a year with no sign of coming back any time soon. The government was giving him the hope that Reed tried to give him, but the government wasn't going to leave. They were going to embrace him. Sure it was as a weapon of war, but he was at least being admired and wanted. I think in the context of the movie it made sense but in the context of the character it doesn't, because The Thing isn't supposed to be like that.

- Ioan Gruffud is 41 now and the first Fantastic Four movie came out in 2005, so when it came out he would've been 31 - which is a year younger than Kate Mara. It's just weird because Chris Evans and Jessica Alba were so much younger and Michael Chiklis was so much older. He would've been probably 29 or 30 while he was filming it, too. Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell are all late-twenties.

- Fair enough.

- They said it was Sue that was good at patterns. She's good at pattern recognition because she likes music and music is a series of patterns (which she actually tells Reed). I was mostly fine with that. Reed talks about Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea during the scene too and it's when he mentions Captain Nemo and that's what helps Sue find Reed later when she's looking in the code.

- I think this version of Ben was just a lot darker than we're used to which was weird. He had such a crappy childhood and it seemed to be implied that Reed was his only friend (because otherwise I don't see why they'd hang out together all the time and be best friends), and then he gets his life fucked up and his only friend leaves him in a government lab for a year with no sign of coming back any time soon. The government was giving him the hope that Reed tried to give him, but the government wasn't going to leave. They were going to embrace him. Sure it was as a weapon of war, but he was at least being admired and wanted. I think in the context of the movie it made sense but in the context of the character it doesn't, because The Thing isn't supposed to be like that.

-Wait he was born in 1973 after double checking. So wouldn't that have made him 30 when filming? Eh either way I thought IMDB said he was born in 1970. Either way I reprimanded my age error so you win. :P

Also all three are now. Wouldn't that have made them mid 20s when filming? Eh who cares...xD

-I forgot the whole she likes music element and you are right since I know that it's a bunch of patterns. I remember the 20,000 Leagues discussion which made me assume that Reed was the one who was skilled with patterns because of that with Sue just remembering that discussion to track Reed.

-Exactly. The Thing isn't suppose to be like that. That's what bugged me that he would turn darker becoming a stone cold killer. I just did not like that dark character change and couldn't accept it. Even if it makes sense in theory to want to be wanted, it doesn't work in context of the original character. Hated this version of Ben for more than just that.

So you guys like me reviewing newer movies, eh?  Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to do it again.  Will I ever get around to reviewing Movie 43?  ....at this rate I don't even know.  But hey, let's figure out what movie was so bad that I immediately thought that I should give the proper Crap Cinema treatment?

PAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but really?  How many fucking Peter Pan adaptations is it going to take for movie studios to realize that these live action adaptations aren't profitable?

hook-1.jpg?cb=3926e37faa0f4b12e65a95b230

Ok let me rephrase that.  How many big budgeted blockbuster reimaginings?  I mean my god, the 2003 one cost over 100 million to make and wasn't even close to profitability.  The fact that this new one cost over 150 million to make is fucking ridiculous.  Joe Wright outright robbed Warner Brothers to make a movie this outright shitty.  Which is a shame because Joe Wright is actually a good director.  He's made some really good British adaptations of literature like Atonement and Pride and Prejudice and a criminally underrated action movie in Hanna.  I can see why Warner Brothers wanted Joe Wright to do this adaptation, he hasn't done them wrong previously.  But honestly, and I hate to say it, but Joe Wright will have a tough time writing off the stink of this flop from his resume like Josh Trank before him.

Also, just like Joe Wright, I wouldn't feel complete without mentioning development and production hell that this movie went through.  More importantly, casting Rooney Mara as Indian Tiger Lily.  Wow the backlash for that was too brutal for the movie to overcome.  Honestly, and maybe it's because of the other really bad movie I watched over the weekend, but at least Pan didn't entirely white wash like Aloha did to Hawaii.  Yeah Rooney Mara is talented, but you could have given her another role.  Hell, I can think of a few other female roles in this movie that would be more fitting for someone of her talent than Tiger Lily.  But I digress.  Controversial casting choices is nothing new.

Just like my last review, if you have any plans to actually go out and see Pan, spoilers ahead.  You've been warned.

Clappy: The movie starts with...needless exposition.  Yay!

Peter (played by newcomer Levi Miller) is a young boy who is left on the steps of an orphanage by his mother Mary (Amanda Seyfried).

Clappy: ...is it just me or has Amanda Seyfried stop trying recently?  I don't know, she is talented, but man it feels like the last few years she has phoned in way too many performances to even count lately.  At least her role here is short enough to the point that anyone can care.

The orphanage is under the care of the cruel Mother Barnabas in London. Upon learning that she is hoarding food for herself, Peter and his best friend Nibs steal it to distribute amongst themselves and the other orphans. In the process, Peter finds a letter written by his mother, declaring her love and assuring Peter they'll meet again "in this world or the other".

Clappy: I know this is written to bring across the point to give Peter the chosen one narrative, but man...that cliche has become horrendously forced.  Not saying that not all chosen one narratives are becoming bad or anything, but lately it's just become inelegant exposition checkpoints and not many chances are taken to make it really stand out.

In retaliation for the boys' mischief, Mother Barnabas summons pirates who kidnap Nibs and several others.

Clappy: tumblr_mu4dsvJAc31r4yh8wo5_r1_250.gif

Jesus Christ movie.  Force us right into the plot why don't ya?  Why the hell is the orphanage making deals with the pirates?  Care to elaborate on that?  Because automatically making Mother Barnabas the catalyst to bringing the pirates into the picture is just ridiculously stupid.

Peter manages to rescue Nibs, but is captured himself and taken to Neverland, a magical realms beyond space and time, where he is forced to become a slave laborer and mine for fairy dust called pixium.

Clappy: ....pixium?  PIXIUM!?!?!  Where have I heard this before?

Meanwhile, Joshua Joyce, the head of KSI, shows Darcy that he has perfected Transformium...HAHAHAHHAHAH GET IT.  TRANSFORMIUM....TRANSFORMERS....KILL ME... the codeable, molecularly unstable metal that the Transformers are made of.

....where else have I heard this before?

UNOBTAINIUM from freaking Avatar.  Hey movie studios.  Try harder to not recycle cliched shit.  And also the movie's fascination with pixium is just borderline creepy.  Like none of them shut the fuck up about it without mentioning immortality.

Also I'm not going to lie here, the most what the fuck scene this movie summary doesn't cover is that the pirates sing Smells Like Teen Spirit and Blitzkrieg Bop...you know this would be unintentionally hilarious if it wasn't for the fact that this makes no damn sense.  Not just because the music comes out a century later, but it comes literally out of nowhere that it's not funny.  I expect this from a Baz Luhrmann movie, but not from an origin story for Peter Pan.

on behalf of the ruthless pirate Blackbeard (Hugh Jackman), during which Peter befriends another miner, James Hook (Garrett Hedlund). After insulting Blackbeard's men, Peter is forced to walk the plank, but survives by flying above the water. Blackbeard then confides with him about an old prophecy that a boy who could fly would one day kill him, but Peter refuses to believe he is the said boy.

Clappy: Ok now time to dig into the acting in this.  It's god awful.  And you can look no further at atrocious acting than Hugh Jackman and Garrett Hedlund.  Both put on some of the worst acting performances I've seen this year.  Hands down.  They are unbearable every time they are on screen and even worse when they are together.  It's like Joe Wright told Hugh Jackman to try his best to be Captain Jack Sparrow mixed in with Darth Vader.  Dead serious.  Also it doesn't help when Hugh Jackman looks THIS fucking ridiculous.

28D84B0700000578-3087441-image-m-328_143

But you know...despite how atrocious Hugh Jackman is...Garret Hedlund's Hook is THAT much worse. At least Blackbeard is suppose to be annoyingly over the top.  Hook is just annoying as fuck.  Picture Nicholas Cage except any sense of comedic value one might be able to get from a Nicholas Cage performance.  That's how bad Garrett Hedlund is here.  Like his performance here just makes me wish Garrett Hedlund quit acting all together.  He was always wooden as fuck and just a bore in the past like in Tron Legacy, but if this is him trying to act.  He needs to stop.  Right now.  

Peter joins Hook and his accomplice, Smee (Adeel Ahktar), in stealing one of Blackbeard's flying boats and escaping into the forest, where they are found and nearly executed by the natives led by Chief Great Little Panther, before his daughter, Tiger Lily (Rooney Mara), notices Peter's pan flute pendant, left to him by Mary, and said to belong to their people's greatest hero, the legendary Pan.

Clappy: So this is the aforementioned controversy by making a few Indian characters white.  Honestly....I would be more offended if the acting was any good because no one honestly seems to want to even try here.

Tiger Lily reveals that Peter's father was the Fairy Prince, and that Mary incurred Blackbeard's wrath by rejecting his advances, for which was forced to abandon Peter and seek shelter in the Fairy Kingdom. As part of his heritage, Peter has the ability to fly, but unable to do so because of his lack of faith.

Clappy: i3IfafU.gif

Honestly people should be more outraged over how fucking stupid this ancient fairy tribe is being portrayed over which actors are playing whom because Jesus Christ who wrote this crap?  You know I would much prefer if they actually took the time and effort to establish this tribe is rather than the unbelievable stupidity of making us believe that Peter Pan is half fairy, half pirate ancestor based off what they described about his parents.  You guys remember how I referenced Avatar earlier?  Honestly, they must have borrowed the writing staff for that movie because they did such a horrible job establishing the Na'vi tribe there.  It's one thing to try and bring about an origin story for Peter Pan, but if you are going to make up a whole other universe for the origin of the character, you need to do a better job establishing that first because this is ridiculously contrived for me to take any of this seriously.

Fearful of Blackbeard's punishment, Smee betrays the natives' location to him, and in the ensuing battle, Chief Great Little Panther is murdered by Blackbeard, who also reveals he killed Peter's mother.

Clappy: Yeah Smee honestly has no real reason to betray the natives, try hard movie, but more importantly....you turned down my sexual advances so now I must kill you....DID ANYBODY READ THIS SHIT BEFORE FILMING!?

Peter, Hook, and Tiger Lily escape in a raft and head to the Fairy Kingdom to enlist their help in defeating the pirates. Along the way, Peter falls into the river and is nearly eaten by a crocodile before being rescued by the mermaids (all portrayed by Cara Delvingne...I wish I could stare at this scene more...uhhh where were we....oh yeah), after which he has a vision of Blackbeard killing Mary as she defended the Fairy Kingdom from his offensive.

Clappy: Shouldn't Hook be the one that almost gets eaten by the crocodile?  Christ, they can't even get the source material they are writing an origin story for right.

Despondent over their chances, Hook leaves, while Peter and Tiger Lily arrive at the Fairy Kingdom only to be ambushed by Blackbeard, who uses the pan flute pendant to open their gates and launches an attack.

Clappy: Maybe I'm missing something here, but how in the hell did Blackbeard get the pan flute pendant?  Peter never lost it in the battle sequence unless I'm gravely mistaken.

Peter escapes and befriends one of the fairies, Tinker Bell.

Clappy: Pssh...Tinker Bell.  We can establish this character in the sequel that is bound to never happen.

Together, they rally the faries to battle the pirates, and are joined by a returning Hook, who fights Blackbeard's right-hand man Bishop aboard the stolen ship, which tips over, sending both falling to their deaths.

Clappy: ...who are you kidding movie, Hook is not dead as much as I wish he was.

Peter conquers his fears and flies to save Hook, while Blackbeard and his men are overpowered by the faries. Forced into an abyss, they subsequently fall to their deaths; Smee is the sole survivor having fled during the battle. Peter then has a vision of Mary, who reaffirms him to Neverland's great hero, Peter Pan.

Clappy: So Peter Pan is being reaffirmed as...himself...thanks pointless vision.

Shortly afterwards, Peter and Hook, now the captain of the Jolly Roger, return to London to rescue Nibbs and the other orphans, who become part of Peter's crew, the Lost Boys. Peter and Hook then reaffirm their friendship, certain that nothing will ever go wrong between them.

Clappy: Hur hur hur, what could possibly go wrong?  Bite me movie.  Just fucking bite me.

j3Joru.gif

j3Joru.gif

j3Joru.gif

j3Joru.gif

j3Joru.gif

Yeah this movie was really bad.  It's not offensively bad like some of the other movies I've reviewed in this thread.  It's just....what the fuck am I watching?  This is not Peter Pan, nor any of these characters are believable in this Peter Pan universe.  It's like they were trying to set up for a Pan 2 where we eventually got Hook's deceit and learn more about The Lost Boys and especially Tinker Bell.  But for a Peter Pan origin story, this just had no real identity.  It's like the film makers wanted a hybrid of Avatar, Moulin Rouge, and nearly every Disney live action adaptation of the past five years, but what we got just ended up being a massive clusterfuck.  While this was not the worst movie I've seen this year, Pan was a massive incompetent mess.

• Like 9

Yes, Clappy, I like when you review newer movies. :smirk:

I can't believe the movie ended up so badly. The trailers were actually nice. Oh well, I've already picked what movie I'm going to watch this weekend, If it's possible: Crimson Peak

Edited by The Babadook
  • Like 1

I was expecting Aloha :funny: pffft Pan, more like "Panned"amirite?

Nah as much as I loathed Aloha, my review would honestly just be:

"I'm bored."

or

"This is fucking stupid."

Over and over again. :funny:

• Like 1

It's been a fun ride you guys but once again this thread is being locked...what do you mean that April Fool's Joke has been beaten to death?  Wumbo has already done this on the forums today?  Man good thing nobody actually reads the scratched out sentences because they already know that's a running joke that has been beaten to death.  Uuhhh well this is awkward, get to the point already.

Batman v Superman review coming in the next few days.  But wait, because I'm tackling it in a bad movie review thread, does that mean I think it's terrible?  Tune in and find out.  The answer may surprise you all.  So you have been warned.  Spoilers coming soon.

• Like 2

Mfw you expected a Batman v Superman review when u saw Clappy posting it's trailer :funny: but no need to talk about same stuff that people covered up so many times :P

Damn, u have guts to watch a movie like this. It really sounds so dumb. Nice review.

• Like 1

I think it's safe to assume that this movie came to fruition when some people from Lionsgate read the scripts of movies like Ice Age, Despicable Me, and Happy Feet and wanted to create a similar movie with traits that those movies had. Takes place in the Arctic, features talking animals that dance, along with the main character's "minions" who try to serve as the comic relief of the movie. It was a story about how some workers wanted to take over the Arctic and expand the United States, but Norm, the protagonist of the movie, got political and fought against the takeover. It turned out to be a pretty simple plot at first. Then, some crackhead stopped by the studio and offered the writers some crack and then, they rewrote it and made it this bullshit story that doesn't even make sense at all. Then, one of the workers' two immature nephews came in and sabotaged the script by adding in fart jokes and juvenile humor into the lemmings' dialogue. They also thought it would please the younger audience if they added in hip songs like "Shake It Off" and "Watch Me" into the movie for Norm to dance to. They just said fuck it, got a very talented cast (and Rob Schneider) to do voices in the film, put it to animation, and voila. There's the finishing project.

At least, that's how I wish the process went.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fred Rechid said:

I think it's safe to assume that this movie came to fruition when some people from Lionsgate read the scripts of movies like Ice Age, Despicable Me, and Happy Feet and wanted to create a similar movie with traits that those movies had. Takes place in the Arctic, features talking animals that dance, along with the main character's "minions" who try to serve as the comic relief of the movie. It was a story about how some workers wanted to take over the Arctic and expand the United States, but Norm, the protagonist of the movie, got political and fought against the takeover. It turned out to be a pretty simple plot at first. Then, some crackhead stopped by the studio and offered the writers some crack and then, they rewrote it and made it this bullshit story that doesn't even make sense at all. Then, one of the workers' two immature nephews came in and sabotaged the script by adding in fart jokes and juvenile humor into the lemmings' dialogue. They also thought it would please the younger audience if they added in hip songs like "Shake It Off" and "Watch Me" into the movie for Norm to dance to. They just said fuck it, got a very talented cast (and Rob Schneider) to do voices in the film, put it to animation, and voila. There's the finishing project.

At least, that's how I wish the process went.

God bless

At the beginning of this year, I made a resolution in regards to my activity around this site.  Keep coming up with content to share with you guys.  It’s what brings me the most joy when it comes to logging on here.  Material for you all to read and discuss.

I’ve already done so with my music thread.  Wumbo and I collabed on the seasonal chart rankings, Nugs and I are supposed to be doing the rap charts, and I did a year end chart ranking (and spoiler, another one is on the way too).

Now those music projects are easier to write than these ones, but I made a promise to myself and I’m going to follow through with it.  It’s been way too long since my last Crap Cinema installment and I’ve been trying to find material to revive this but nothing is bringing that creative juice a flowing.  But this thread has been around way too long to just let it go into the abyss like that.  

So I’m bumping this thread to tell you all that Crap Cinema is going to go under some side projects in this thread to keep it alive.  You’ll all see in the coming months what I have in store with this thread, but a new idea is in store that will hopefully be up in the coming week or so to give you guys something to read and hopefully enjoy.  I tried this out a few years ago where I reviewed and discussed if the Twilight series is the worst thing ever.  It was one of my more ambitious projects that I was quite proud of.  So I’m going to try that again with another commentary review:

Is the DC Extended Universe really that bad?

Yep, I’m going to review all the phase one projects so far, even the good one like Wonder Woman, because not all movies are perfect.  Coming soon.

• Like 3