• Advertisement

Goosebumps

Karen

I want to come a topic for this because....I felt like it.

Anyway, I love Goosebumps (No Duh). Sure its kinda stupid and not scary at all but that's why its so great.

But the book in my avatar sucks major balls.

• Like 1

I actually was reading that Horrorland book when I was vending at a flea market a few weeks ago. It's the one where the family goes to an amusement park that's run by monsters, right?

I was legit interested in this.  Key word: WAS.  Sure the director has a pretty bad movie history, but with the cheesy fun that was the Goosebumps series, this could have surprised me a bit because it's not hard to screw it up, right?

Well that trailer pissed me off.  It's completely missing the point of the Goosebumps books period by making the stories come to life and attack the city.  If you're going to have the Jumanji aspect, at least make the stories themselves feel significantly intimidating.  The books were legit cheesy horror and there was some good source material right in front of you.  This just feels lifeless in every aspect.  Hell trailer, you even managed to tame Jack Black, who's whole persona is that he overacts.  I'm not excited for this at all.

• Like 1

Loved the books and show as a young'n, still watch the show for some nostalgia and laughs on Netflix from time to time.

As for the movie, I was hoping they'd take a more Goosebumps HorrorLand approach at crossing the various stories over instead of something so..."meta", I guess. And Jack Black playing someone like R.L. Stine just seems so mismatched to me. I'll more than likely see this based on nostalgia alone.

What they SHOULD'VE done (instead of doing an ENTIRE potpourii of all the "Goosebumps" books) was pick and CHOOSE among some of the BETTER "Goosebumps" books; with characters that appear in more than ONE book, and doing a movie based on those characters. They could've done "Monster Blood, Night of the Living Dummy, The Mummy's Curse/Return of the Mummy," and "The Haunted Mask" are the best examples I can think of. With the right special effects and the right story adaptation, that would be a better use of everyone's time and money, as far as the "Goosebumps" book series being turned into a movie goes. :) Enough said! ;)

Wow what a difference three months makes.  So I ended up seeing this with my sister and her boyfriend due to Peanuts being on hold until next weekend's plans and my Spectre plans falling flat on it's face.

Saving my full thoughts for my blog review, but this was really not that bad.  Sure the movie falls for the really obvious cliches and kinda drags on and on until the plot actually kicks in, but once the energy picks up, the movie is very fun.  The trailer completely undersells the off the wall elements of some of the creations of Stine and how they act to the surroundings around them.  It's also great to see Jack Black in something good again.  He actually seemed to be trying for a change and his comedic timing was on point for the first time in awhile for me.

I don't think this is a movie I would sit through again, but for a family comedy, this was worth the admission and I enjoyed it.

I have to admit, I saw the movie on a date outing, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, it was a lot BETTER than I thought it could be! :D Enough said! ;)

The most genuinely surprising thing was when the boy's love interest turned out to be the ghost next door from the story "The Ghost Next Door."

And kudos to R.L. Stine for making a cameo appearance as the new drama teacher near the end of the movie!