• Advertisement

New SpongeBob Book By Animation Historian Jerry Beck- Coming in September

Young Nug

The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience: A Deep Dive into the World of Bikini Bottom

Release date: September 10, 2013

This lavish coffee table book delivers an eye-opening behind-the-scenes look at the creation of SpongeBob and all the hard work and creativity that have gone into making him one of the most popular cartoon characters of all time. Featuring in-depth interviews with the cast and crew who bring Bikini Bottom to life, The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience will also include a treasure trove of SpongeBob concept artwork and other rare and revelatory visuals that will make it an absolute delight for fans.

Delving into the creation of each of the beloved characters like never before and featuring early sketches, concepts, and other material that sheds new light on the creative vision behind SpongeBob, this is the ultimate book on a true icon of animation. The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience also presents a wealth of fun inserts, pullouts, and other surprises, creating a truly interactive experience that takes fans into SpongeBob’s world like never before.

Jerry Beck is a pretty cool author, I've read some of his stuff, and he has an awesome job, since studying and writing books about the history of animation is pretty cool. I will be buying when it comes out. Should be cool.

thanks to DMAP of SBM for this info

Sorry for double posting, but here's my Amazon.com review of it:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rating: 4/5 stars

I'm a pretty big fan of SpongeBob, so when I heard about this book I was very excited. If there's one thing I love more than SpongeBob, it's learning about the behind the scenes action that goes on when they produce the show and this book does a great job covering it. From concept art and model sheets, from storyboards to even an exposure sheet, this book has a wealth of information that is bound to excite the SpongeBob SquarePants enthusiast.

The book's chapters are broken up into sections, 3 of which are devoted to the creation of SpongeBob (at various points in the book), the rest being devoted to the characters (and the voice talent behind them!). There are a boatload of tidbits about the odds and ends of the show's origin, including fun facts like SpongeBob originally wearing his Krusty Krab hat all the time, not just at work. It also explains how Stephen Hillenberg left his original position on the show after the SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and Paul Tibbit took his place.

As for the chapters on characters, each of those is an in depth look at the story behind the main SpongeBob characters and their voice actors. Throughout each of these chapters you will find concept artwork and storyboard images (in addition to general show images, of course) pertaining to the character. For example, Sandy's chapter includes a few storyboard pages from her first appearance in the episode "Tea at the Treedome." Also included in these chapters are lists of the character's best moments (some of which I disagree with, but hey, that's why we have opinions!), a sampling of quotes from the character (which are mostly general ones and catchphrases, though there are some good ones in there), a handful of character props which I'll talk about in just a moment, and even the voice actors' reflections on their experience voicing the characters.

One thing I really like about this book is Jerry Beck's decision to include character based props in the book. You can tell that a lot of effort was put into some of them too! Some of these include Squidward's cashier name tag from work, SpongeBob's Jellyfishing Club membership card, a snail care guide, and (gasp!) the Krabby Patty Secret Formula! Better not let Plankton read this book! The inclusion of these is a great touch, and it definitely helped me dive deep into the world of Bikini Bottom like the title says.

Unfortunately the book is not without its flaws. As much as I like the book I couldn't help but notice several errors in it, being the SpongeBob fan I am. I was a little surprised personally because Jerry Beck's books are usually pretty error-free, but there's no denying the errors that are in the book, some of which are:

- Dr. Gill Gilliam's profile uses a picture of a totally different doctor
- Muscle Beach is incorrectly captioned as "Mussel Beach"
- A storyboard page that is clearly from "I Was a Teenage Gary" is mislabeled as being from "Squeaky Boots"
- In Sandy's chapter, a picture of her Scottish cousin from "Stanley S. SquarePants" is mislabeled as being Sandy herself.

While these errors (which are mostly minor captioning errors) are a little distracting for big fans like me, they shouldn't be a huge distraction to the average reader. What matters isn't the errors, but the overall experience of learning about the history behind the phenomenon known as SpongeBob SquarePants. Kids will enjoy reading this and seeing familiar images from the show, and parents and older fans like myself can find some enjoyment in it too! It's not just a book for kids, it's a book for all fans of the little square dude. In that respect, I'll forgive Beck's errors and congratulate him on the wonderful book he's written.

• Like 4

Yeah I caught all those errors myself but the Muscle Beach one. Nice review CD. I agree this book is well written. I really like how you can be literally any age and have fun reading it. It's like a simpler version of the enormous SB bible of the show's pitch and experiences.