• Advertisement

172a. Face Freeze!

Young Nug

Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick get their faces stuck and scare the town after Mr. Krabs tells the boys a tale.

I know this episode looked incredibly weird from the previews we got at first, and it did get a lot of hate, but to be honest.....I like this one. I've never minded when the art would get a little extreme, and it was really funny here. The story was pretty silly, and I laughed pretty hard when Sandy came out of nowhere just to tell Patrick and SpongeBob that they needed help. :P I loved the fact that they called Robertryan Cory back to the show one last time to draw some hilariously wacky faces, and it felt as if the animation got a bump in some places solely for that. However, the episode overall kinda feels like a Season 6 episode. There is little dialogue humor or wit, but that's okay for this one.

7.5/10. Your thoughts?

DEAR. LORD! I've gotten disturbances and the creeps, the creeps and disturbances all week non-stop, about what an unholy terror Face Freeze is! I cannot wait to put this thing to sleep after reviewing it!

So here's my evaluation: SpongeBob and Patrick are doing you know what, making weird faces at each other. Mr. Krabs tells them the story of "Face Freeze" about some jerk who liked to make rude faces. And when he sticks out his tongue for the 444th time, his face froze! At first, SpongeBob and Patrick accept Eugene's warning, but when the yellow sponge accidentally makes another face, and the both of them keep making faces. After that...odd sequence, they decide to hold one face for a long time to see if the face freeze is real. In that test, they rudely strike their morbid faces in public. After holding their faces for a day, their misbehavior comes full circle, when they get the face freeze. In the treedome, when Sandy's going to massage the sponge and the star, anyone notice something missing? For the last part of the episode, SpongeBob tries to keep his face hidden from Eugene, but Patrick gets them ultimately caught. Eugene gets so angry, he makes an ugly face, and catches the face freeze, too. When Squidward comes in, and laughs at the face freezed, and gets it, too. And that's the end of the episode.

Face Freeze relies on creepy faces, low comedy, and the ending was a slap in the face. But it had a bit of potential that people don't give credit for. To me, it kinda felt like watching some of Grim's Fairy Tales, designed to encourage children to behave. The only rear kicker is, again, the ending, which should have been more like "Hooky" or "Life of Crime".

Some people rip on this for being disturbing.

• Like 1

I really don't like the hate it keeps getting from Youtube and Tumblr. Honestly I liked the episode. Sure, sometimes the faces got irritating but the plot was interesting. I like episodes where Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob and Patrick about doing something foolish, it gave me a S2/S3 feeling. I liked how they used Sandy in it, I was not expecting her to be apart of the episode later as well.

From what I remember I give this a 7/10.

This episode wasn't as bad I as I thought it would be. Normally I don't like episodes with grotesque visuals, but the faces they were making were actually pretty funny at times, especially at the end. I also liked Sandy's appearance with her throwaway line being used at the end to help SpongeBob and Patrick.

Anythin at top 20 for me would be at least 9.7/10 or higher.

My 73rd favorite episode has a rating of at least 8/10. =/

Oh.

I just picked a random number to make it reach 20

This episode was actually pretty good. It had a good sense of morals and while the ending sucked, I was pleasantly surprised by a good majority of the episode.

7/10

I didn't like this episode but It's not a bad episode. This episode is underrated. I've seen worse episode than this. Some of faces were actually funny but some of them were disgusting too. The ending was funny. Mr. Krabs' story was good too. I gave this episode 5.5/10.