• Advertisement

Adele

Ron

Finally listened to it....and my doubts turned out to be right for my opinion of it so far.  Didn't really find this to be amazing because it's not really a much needed breath of fresh air for today's pop music like when she had her massive year in 2011.  What I heard was not that different from what's popular today because powerful soul ballads are not really as uncommon in 2015 as they were in 2011.  Granted, "Hello" further proved why Adele is so much better at songs like this compared to other artists like Sam Smith, Sia, Charlie Puth (lol especially Charlie Puth).  But "Hello" doesn't really sound like an artist evolving.  "Hello" reminded me a lot of "Someone Like You" and could have been a song I would have found from 21.  Not a lead off from her new album.  This comeback single doesn't sound like an artist evolving.  It just sounds like more of the same.  Granted, at least Adele's more of the same is believable raw emotion with powerful vocals compared to being technically sound but lacking passion like some of the other artists I listed above.

I don't know.  Maybe listening to it some more may change my stance a bit because all of this what I got from just one listen, but to me, it's just like my stance on her in general.  I like it, but I don't love it.

Alright, you got the Killers' early stuff down, but as long as you'll keep saying all modern "indie" music is trash....

The National, The Arctic Monkeys, The Dead Weather, Death From Above 1979, Franz Ferdinand, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Foals, Florence and the Machine, all these well-known indie/independent record label bands at the top of my head that have been around since the last decade, I dare you to call them trash, but I suggest giving them a shot (or a second chance if you're already familiar with any of these bands) and try to understand why these bands get as much praise. You don't have to be a fan of them, but you don't have to automatically hate them either. It wouldn't hurt to at least like some of their music. With all that said, that's all I can say for you about indie music for now.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are fine, Arctic Monkeys suck, and I honestly don't care about the others and they don't interest me. Remember, I said I hate all of this mainstream "INDIE" (quotations important) off the top of my head. Off the top of my head included stuff like Imagine Dragons, The 1975, and I can't think of others to be honest. Indie means indapendent, and I kind of hate the GENRE of indie rock to be honest. Your music being indapendent is too broad to describe everything. That's why Chevelle's first record is called indie rock for some reason, which it isn't, it's alternative metal. Anyways, I'm sorry, but "indie" is the first thing I think of when I hear that. Anyways, you guys should get back on topic. 

Granted, "Hello" further proved why Adele is so much better at songs like this compared to other artists like Sam Smith, Sia, Charlie Puth (lol especially Charlie Puth). 

Kinda have to disagree on Sia, tho. :lori:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are fine, Arctic Monkeys suck, and I honestly don't care about the others and they don't interest me. Remember, I said I hate all of this mainstream "INDIE" (quotations important) off the top of my head. Off the top of my head included stuff like Imagine Dragons, The 1975, and I can't think of others to be honest. Indie means indapendent, and I kind of hate the GENRE of indie rock to be honest. Your music being indapendent is too broad to describe everything. That's why Chevelle's first record is called indie rock for some reason, which it isn't, it's alternative metal. Anyways, I'm sorry, but "indie" is the first thing I think of when I hear that. Anyways, you guys should get back on topic. 

I'll gladly get back on-topic, now that that's out of the way. (Just wanted a clearer emphasis about your thoughts on indie rock/indie music in general, and I won't ask you again about this.)

I've heard Adele's newest single, and so far, I'm impressed. I wouldn't say it's better than what I've heard from 21, but it's still looking good.

Edited by Steel Sponge

25 comes out today.  I do want to give the album a fair shake.  I haven't listened to all of it yet but it will be hard to top When We Were Young as the best song off the album.  But we'll see.  I'm just glad I found one song I really like so far because Hello is still a disappointment for me.

I've only had the chance to listen to all the songs once and I need a bit more time to get a full opinion of it, but I really like the album. It doesn't reach the same highs as 21 but that's basically impossible in my eyes.