• Advertisement

Wumbo's Tunes

Wumbo

Automatic for the People is one of my favourite 90's albums. It's like an R.E.M. Greatest Hits list (and yes, I know they already have one, so don't bother pointing that out :P). Here's a song from that album that was inspired by the late comedian Andy Kaufman, who frontman Michael Stipe has cited as a huge influence. It's also one of his favourites to sing in concert. He has said that he would most miss performing this song after R.E.M. broke up in 2011.

Man on the Moon - R.E.M.

• Like 2

Some people might not like Lana Del Rey, but I'm a fan. She has a unique style, a nice change from mainstream pop. I think this song in particular shows that she has a voice, even though she's denied it herself.

Blue Jeans - Lana Del Rey

The Police actually have a lot of creepy songs. But rather than bad-creepy like Invisible, they make it work. This song in particular is about a teacher who lusts after one of his students. It was based on the book Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, about an older man pursuing underage girls. Regardless of the creepy factor (or maybe because of it), it sold over 900,000 copies and was the best-selling 1980 single in the U.K.

Don't Stand So Close to Me - The Police

Austin Powers fans will be glad to know that I chose its theme song. It's a catchy little tune, sampled a couple times in rap music and used for the 1970s Canadian game show Definition.

Soul Bossa Nova - Quincy Jones

After a list full of bad current rap has been made, let's go back to 1989. The rap was fine and the girls dance moves were finer. Take this one-hit wonder, who popularized the phrase "Bust a Move", and with it created a song that many would bust a move to. Also, that bass line was played by none other than Flea of the Chili Peppers. How much did he get for this massively popular tune? 200 bucks.

Bust a Move - Young MC

Say what you will about Mariah Carey, but there's no denying she has a voice. She was the biggest star of the 90's chart-wise. Halfway through that decade, this was her 9th number one hit.

Fantasy - Mariah Carey

• Like 1

Christmas may be over, but I'm not quite out of Christmas cheer yet. Here's a great rap collaboration featured on the 1997 album A Very Special Christmas 3.

Santa Baby - Run-DMC ft. Mase, Puff Daddy, Snoop Dogg, Salt N' Pepa, Onyx & Keith Murray

As I leave for New York, I'll leave y'all with this tune for the next few days. Great song, great music video. While not including either Jay-Z or Kanye West, its depiction of Czech Republicans rising up against the government is well pictured.

No Church in the Wild - Jay-Z & Kanye West ft. Frank Ocean & The Dream

I'm back! Happy new year, everybody! Let's take a look back at 2012: the year that was... inconsistent with music. One of the biggest inconsistencies was Carly Rae Jepsen. "Call Me Maybe" was one of the most annoying songs of the year. But Carly Rae does have talent. She just needs a good song to back it up. And I found this song to be halfway decent even though it's a duet with Owl City, one of my most hated artists. I think this is a good sign that I show no bias to any artist in particular.

Good Time - Owl City & Carly Rae Jepsen

I'd like to thank termi for introducing me to this song. I gotta say, it really says something about the state of rap today if a rapping chicken is some of the best that last year had to offer from said genre. Nevertheless, take it away, B-Clux!

(Warning: Mating chickens in the video.)

I Love You Boy - B-Clux

I had a plethora of 2012 songs stuck in my head yesterday, for some reason. I don't really know which one dominated, but this was definitely one of them. It's a catchy little tune, which is probably why it got stuck in my head.

Strangers - My Name is Kay ft. Pusha T