• Advertisement

Wumbo's Tunes

Wumbo

I've grown to really like this song. In the midst of big booty hoes and whatnot, it's nice to hear a song like this. Interestingly, this is Ne-Yo's fourth #1 hit in the UK, making each of his #1 hits there (where he was a main artist) two years apart. So Sick in 2006, Closer in 2008, Beautiful Monster in 2010, and now this in 2012.

Let Me Love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself) - Ne-Yo

This is the only original Christmas song on the A Very Special Christmas album (as opposed to covers). It's also one of my favourite Christmas songs. You wouldn't think rap would get you in the Christmas mood, but it does.

Christmas in Hollis - Run-D.M.C.

This song makes The Tragically Hip the fourth artist to be featured 3 times here, joining The Offspring, No Doubt, and Green Day. It also makes them the first Canadian artist to do so. I believe this is their first single.

Small Town Bringdown - The Tragically Hip

Here's Soundgarden's first new song in 15 years, written specifically for The Avengers soundtrack. Curiously, it also has a solar theme, like Black Hole Sun, their best known tune.

Live to Rise - Soundgarden

Pearl Jam's "Ten" was one of the most successful albums of the 90's, selling over 10 million copies. This is probably one of the the darkest (and one of my favourite) singles to come from that album. How dark is it? It's based on the story of Jeremy Delle, a 16-year-old who killed himself in front of his high school English class. His teacher told him to get an admittance slip for being late. Instead, he came back with a gun, said "Miss, I got what I really came for", placed it in his mouth, and fired. Sometimes the greatest songs come from the darkest places.

Jeremy - Pearl Jam

I'll admit this right now. This is probably my favourite Bieber song to date. The only thing bringing it down is Nicki Minaj rapping about "hitting him with the ether". What? But the first part is actually good. Trust me.

Beauty and a Beat - Justin Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj