• Advertisement

Wumbo's Tunes

Wumbo

Here's a rap song about cheating on your significant other. Suffice it to say, O.P.P. stands for "Other Person's..." well, it depends on the gender. Naughty By Nature has officially said that it stands for "Property" to keep it clean. For a song about sex, it's surprisingly clean.

O.P.P. - Naughty By Nature

(By the way, I do not condone cheating in any way. I simply think the song is catchy.)

Here's a classic No Doubt song about a girl who has to screen her phone calls because this annoying guy keeps calling her. Because of the "leave a message and I'll call you back" line, it has been used frequently on answering machines. I like this song because it's half-reggae, half-rock, quintessential No Doubt.

Spiderwebs - No Doubt

• Like 2

One good No Doubt song deserves another. This is definitely my favourite No Doubt song, and one of my all-time favourites. Interestingly enough, while the song is about heartbreak, the video is about the band breaking up. Notice the dirty looks the band gives Stefani because the media's attention sticks to her. Great video, great song, what more can I say?

Don't Speak - No Doubt

• Like 1

*NSYNC will forever always be my favourite boy band. But let's talk about their more famous counterparts, Backstreet Boys. They have their share of cheesy songs, as all boy bands do (that's why you love 'em, right?) but this one is my favourite, even though it's probably one of their cheesiest.

"Am I sexual? Yeeee-aaaah..."

Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - Backstreet Boys

• Like 1

Coolio had the biggest song of 1995, in reference to the amount of time spent at #1 on the charts. It's a reworking of Stevie Wonder's "Pasttime Paradise", with updated lyrics to make it relevant to life on the streets in the mid-90's. It also had a difficult time being released by its record company. They were afraid that the song was too graphic and would alienate fans who enjoyed Coolio's previous hit, "Fantastic Voyage". It's probably a good thing it got released, because not only did it have the biggest success on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1995, it also won a Grammy for Best Rap Solo Performance. And I gotta say, that's pretty cool...io.

Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio ft. L.V.

• Like 1

This is Ellie Goulding's first hit in the United States. It has a couple parallels between Electric Light Orchestra First off, the name of the song. Secondly, the lyric "you show the lights that stop me turn to stone", "Turn to Stone" being the title of a 1978 single by ELO.

Lights - Ellie Goulding

• Like 1

The breakout single for both Warren G and Nate Dogg, released in the summer of '94. It appears on the soundtrack to ​Above the Rim, with the music video featuring scenes from the movie as well.

Regulate - Warren G ft. Nate Dogg

I'm hitting you with a double dose of Offspring, because this is another awesome song. It was produced by Bob Rock, who is best known for his work with Motley Crue and Metallica. He also produced the rest of the album, "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace". But enough about him. This is a great song about abuse of power, reaching #1 on the Modern Rock chart.

You're Gonna Go Far, Kid - The Offspring

• Like 2

Another song about cheating. Again, I do not condone it in any way, but TLC performs this song with such charm that you can't help but like them. Well, TC do, anyway. Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes refused to be shown singing in the video, even threatening to wear black tape over her mouth. Why? Because, understandably, she didn't like the song's subject matter. She thought that if a man was cheating on you, you shouldn't reciprocate, you should just leave. Regardless of morality, the song still became a massive hit, and along with "Waterfalls", made TLC one of the most prominent girl groups of the 90's.

Creep - TLC

• Like 1

I've been giving you guys a lot of double doses lately, but I couldn't ignore this song after posting a TLC song yesterday. Simply put, it's brilliant. It's a song about the dangers of ignoring consequences. The first verse deals with a mother's son dealing drugs, which worries the mother (rightly so). The second verse deals with a man who cheats on someone, contracting HIV and subsequently dying. Either way, both of them are "chasing waterfalls", meaning chasing intangible dreams without thinking of the consequences (the first one wants money and respect from drugs, the second wants casual sex). It's just a beautifully composed song, with a great rap interlude by Left Eye and stunning vocals from T-Boz and Chilli (RIP Left Eye, btw.)

Waterfalls - TLC

• Like 2