• Advertisement

Wumbo's Tunes

Wumbo

Okay, sorry that I'm going a little Green Day crazy. But I can't help it! Their songs keep getting stuck in my head, and for all the right reasons. Take this song for example. It's one of two 9-minute songs off the aforementioned American Idiot album, consisting of 5 parts. This one is notable because it's one of the few songs where Tré Cool does lead vocals (Rock and Roll Girlfriend). Anyway, enjoy.

Homecoming - Green Day

awHSVx99Y_g

Hey, I'm just glad you're nowhere near as obsessed with Green Day as Jelly is with the Beatles.

Three Days Grace have kind of been iffy for me as of late. Their old stuff was truly amazing, but then they started getting horribly generic (LET'S START A RIOT HURR DURR). I think that this song is, if not a return to form, at least better than most of their recent stuff.

Chalk Outline - Three Days Grace

There's no question that Spice Girls were the biggest girl group of the 90's. (Sorry, TLC.) Making it mega-huge in the States, England, and pretty much all around the world, they have solidified themselves as superstars. More importantly, they make good music.

Spice Up Your Life - Spice Girls

Before he became a singer. Mark Morrison fell on some tough times. In 1995 he spent 3 months in jail for taking part in a nightclub disturbance. He wrote this song to demonstrate his moving from negative to positive, and lo and behold, it reached #1 on the UK Billboard charts, making him the first black male solo artist to do so. It didn't keep him out of jail, however. He was sentenced to community service for taking a stun gun onto a plane, and given a year in jail for paying someone to do said community service. But hey, at least he gave us this hit song.

Return Of The Mack - Mark Morrison

BTW, all facts that I didn't already know (this goes for all the songs here and all the songs to come) come from songfacts.com. Great site.

The 90's. When rock music changed forever... again. And this was just the song to bring grunge into the mainstream. Arguably the biggest anthem for those disillusioned teens of the 90's, would you believe Kurt Cobain hated this song? He never wanted to come into the mainstream, he wanted Nirvana to remain underground. Yet this was possibly the biggest song of the decade (despite never actually topping the Billboard charts), and because Clappy stole my favourite Nirvana song (In Bloom forevah, yo), I thought I'd post this one, which is a great song in its own right.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

• Like 2

The longest ever Top 10 hit, at 8 minutes and 59 seconds. And that wasn't even the longest it was originally. It started out being 25 minutes long. Now, I've never heard this 25-minute version, but with the one we already have, I don't need to. November Rain is a tremendously bone-chilling song that was beautifully composed, and one of my all-time favourites.

November Rain - Guns N' Roses

The biggest hit of Live's career, the band dedicated this song to Barbara Lewis, a high school friend who was killed by a drunk driver around the time this song was written. While many people think this song is simply about the circle of life (myself included, until I read this), it's specifically dedicated to how Barbara's life gave new life to many. After Barbara died, her organs were donated, including her heart which beats inside a man that is now very close friends with the band. Interesting backstory, and great song.

Lightning Crashes - Live

This inspirational anthem was wrote when lead vocalist Dan Reynolds had a bout with depression and anxiety. He was trying to write a song for himself, and it turned into a song that made it on the Billboard charts and gained mainstream popularity as a result. Not too shabby.

​It's Time - Imagine Dragons