• Advertisement

Wumbo's Tunes

Wumbo

As I've mentioned before, Mumford & Sons are one of my favourite new groups. They're fresh, original, and don't have to rely on the hideous demon known as autotune to make music.

Little Lion Man - Mumford & Sons

All right, let's move away from Canadian rock... and into Canadian rap! :D

Seriously though, this is one of my favourite rap songs. The first minute and a half of this is 10 times more clever than Lil Wayne could ever hope to be. And it just gets better from there...

Let Your Backbone Slide - Maestro Fresh Wes

If you asked me to pick my three favourite rappers, I'd pick MCA, Ad-Rock, and Mike D. Beastie Boys brought rock and rap together like no one had before, and their rhymes were always funky and their beats were always jumpin'. The best part was that they never took themselves too seriously in their music. RIP MCA, still missin' ya.

So What'cha Want - Beastie Boys

When we're talking East Coast vs. West Coast and all that jazz, I prefer West Coast rap for the most part. That doesn't mean East Coast doesn't do anything for me. For example, the aforementioned song "The Message" is from the east coast and so is The Notorious B.I.G. While I'd take 2Pac over Biggie any day, The Notorious B.I.G. is still good enough to include in this thread.

Mo Money Mo Problems - The Notorious B.I.G. ft. Mase and Puff Daddy

So I suppose it's no secret by now that the 90's are by far my favourite decade for music. I think what I like about this decade of music is the overall catchiness of the songs. Hell, even if a song was "Barbie Girl", people still play it it homecoming dances because it's a catchy song. But "Barbie Girl" sucks, so I won't get into that (signature notwithstanding). Instead, I'll post a song that's both catchy and good.

How Bizarre - OMC

While this will definitely not be the last Aerosmith song to come up on here, this is a song that I only just recently heard and instantly fell in love with. If you don't love the line "don't give me no lip, I got enough of my own" coming from Steven Tyler, then you and I are two very different people.

Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees) - Aerosmith

I don't really consider Green Day's "American Idiot" album to be political. It has like, two political songs. The title track and Holiday. The rest of the songs either stand on their own, or are part of the album's concept, dealing with a character named Jesus of Suburbia as he goes through disillusion, girlfriends, imaginary friends, loneliness, and the like. It's a fantastic album, and one of my favourites of all time. Here's a song that didn't get released as a single, but damn, it should've.

Give Me Novacaine - Green Day

Okay, sorry that I'm going a little Green Day crazy. But I can't help it! Their songs keep getting stuck in my head, and for all the right reasons. Take this song for example. It's one of two 9-minute songs off the aforementioned American Idiot album, consisting of 5 parts. This one is notable because it's one of the few songs where Tré Cool does lead vocals (Rock and Roll Girlfriend). Anyway, enjoy.

Homecoming - Green Day