• Advertisement

Wumbo's Tunes

Wumbo

Again, time to thank a user (Clappy this time) for introducing me to a song. This is a great tune satirizing the themes and techniques used in rap/pop music today. It's also the first time I've heard Skylar Grey without her being a guest voice. I think she sells herself a little short here vocally, but it's understandable, because it's essentially a parody song. And Eminem's adventures in Autotune more than make up for it.

C'mon Let Me Ride - Skylar Grey ft. Eminem

• Like 1

2012 belonged to the DJs. David Guetta, deadmau5... and Calvin Harris. The latter had a huge hit in early 2012 in "Feel So Clsoe" which was a solo effort. But then he had subsequent hits with Ne-Yo and Florence Welch, the latter helping create my favourite Harris song of the year.

Sweet Nothing - Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welch

Some of Nicki Minaj's best work of 2012 was when she was a guest rapper on Alicia Keys' song "Girl on Fire". There are two versions of the song, the original jsut has Alicia Keys, and the Inferno version has Nicki Minaj. I actually prefer the song with her to without.

Girl on Fire (Inferno) - Alicia Keys ft. Nicki Minaj

• Like 1

Here's a great song by Swedish House Mafia featuring John Martin, who also contributed vocals to "Save the World". This song was inspired by Swedish House Mafia's admiration for Sydney, Australia. When they were there, they wanted to "make something that sounds how this looks". I can't vouch for that, as I've never been, but if Sydney, Australia is as beautiful as I imagine it to be, then these fellers did a fine job.

Don't You Worry Child - Swedish House Mafia ft. John Martin

One of the defining albums of the 90's was Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik (emphasis on that third word). It had a great mix of up-tempo, funky songs and slower, more serious songs. This one is about one of Anthony Kiedis's ex-girlfriends, and is probably one of the best on the album.

Breaking the Girl - Red Hot Chili Peppers

One of the most famous rock songs of all time. It's about materialism and excess. Don Henley has said that "some of the wilder interpretations of that song have been amazing." However you interpret it, it's a great song. It won the 1977 Grammy for Record of the Year and reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Without further ado, here it is.

Hotel California - The Eagles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NUbTW928sMU

• Like 2

Great one-hit wonder. Despite being a huge radio hit, it only made it to #42 on the Billboard charts. Why? Because it was ineligible to appear on the charts for quite some time due to songs only available at retail allowed to appear; Natalie Imbruglia's label withheld the availability of the single in the hopes that consumers would purchase the album. When the rules were revised, "Torn" had mild success on the Billboard Hot 100. Too little, too late? Maybe. Here it is now.

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia

• Like 1

Ah, the desire to kill and destroy. Perfect for a Black Sabbath song, don'tcha think? This was originally going to also be the title of the album it appeared on, but the record label feared it would be too controversial, and thus it was changed to "Paranoid". Controversial? Ozzy Osbourne? Naaah. Clocking in at 8 minutes, this is my favourite Sabbath song.

War Pigs - Black Sabbath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pZCyOWLrRTE

• Like 1

Kimbra's probably best known for her collaboration with Gotye. But she has a mildly successful career of her own. I've only heard one song from said career, but it's enough to make me want to listen to more. Plus, it's featuring Mark Foster. What's not to love, people?

Warrior - Kimbra, Mark Foster, and A-Trak

I'm in the mindset that no song with a harmonica is ever a bad song. Tom Petty has proved this a couple of times. Here's a great Heartbreakers song.

Mary Jane's Last Dance - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers