• Advertisement

Wumbo's Tunes

Wumbo

14. Mama, I'm Coming Home - Ozzy Osbourne

Have I ever mentioned my soft spot for ballads? Yeeeah. While definitely not the best Ozzy song, it was the best he released in 1992.

10. I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston

I had to include it. I just had to. Not only is it an iconic song from an iconic artist, it's also quite beautiful. Whitney Houston had an amazing voice. May she rest in peace.

9. In Bloom - Nirvana

Spring is here again, reproductive glands. Whether you could understand Kurt Cobain or not, his music will remain immortal in grunge history.

• Like 2

8. So What'cha Want - Beastie Boys

There was never a single group out there like the Beastie Boys. They combined rap and rock immaculately, adding their own flavour to both genres.

• Like 1

7. Locked in the Trunk of a Car - The Tragically Hip

The Hip like to sing about Canadian events, which may help explain why they never crossed over into American mainstream. Thus song in particular is about the late Quebec Minister of Labour Pierre Laporte, when he was kidnapped by the FLQ during the October Crisis of 1970.

I love everything about this song. It's got that Tragically Hip edge to the sound, and god damn if it doesn't get stuck in my head indefinitely every time I listen to it.

5. One - U2

U2 had incredible staying power, staying consistently popular for 10 years and still releasing new albums well into the late 2000s. Case in point: "One" became one of their biggest hits, 12 years after their first album was released. And for good reason. This is a damn good song, having been covered by artists of all genres.

3. Jeremy - Pearl Jam

One of the greatest songs I've ever heard. So dark, So good. Yet there are two songs better from this year?! It's almost unfathomable. But you know the 90's.

I kind of like it better when you can't understand the singer than when you can and it's someone as vapid as Justin Bieber.

iirc, I read that "Jeremy" won best video in the 1993 MTV Video Awards.

2. Drive - R.E.M.

This song is almost like "R.E.M. goes grunge" for me. Sure, there's obvious differences. But the bleak tune and vocals, as well as the almost sarcastic vibe I'm getting from this with the combination of the lyrics and their delivery. Remember when songs about rocking and rolling were like this? Yeah, yhat was the 70's. Now it's the 90's, and everybody's depressed. "Hey, kids, rock and roll." This song has that sarcastic edge to it that I just love about the bleak music of the 90's.