• Advertisement

Justin Bieber

Clappy

So I listened to a majority of his new album because I want to do album reviews for my blog and figured why not one of the biggest albums out from the past few weeks in his new one Purpose.  I've made it clear in the past that What Do You Mean and Where Are U Now feel like lifeless songs.  Well those two aren't even the most lifeless song on the album, his promo single I'll Show You is blander than watching paint dry.  But man, I just wanted to point out that R&B Justin Bieber is actually really interesting.  Like he doesn't do that breathy thing he relies so heavily on in 2015 and actually just makes good music.  Like his two best songs I've heard from Purpose so far are No Pressure and No Sense, both collaborations featuring Big Sean on the former and Travis Scott on the latter.  While I still have a way to go before giving every song a shot, I can already tell you that I wish we got more R&B than pop on this because I think Justin Bieber is making better strides in R&B than he has in the past based off this album alone.

17 minutes ago, 70s said:

I love the album but I love the three songs you don't like too.

I can see the appeal and why you would like the first two as well as anyone else, but can you explain the appeal of I'll Show You.  I just don't see how anyone could like him being bitchy about how tough it is to be famous and how we should feel sorry for him.

5 minutes ago, Clappy said:

I can see the appeal and why you would like the first two as well as anyone else, but can you explain the appeal of I'll Show You.  I just don't see how anyone could like him being bitchy about how tough it is to be famous and how we should feel sorry for him.

(Slightly biased because I'm tragically a fan.) The song isn't fun so I get not listening to it often. It's not one I have on repeat or anything. But listening to it (and watching the really pretty music video) I appreciated the lyrics and the feeling behind it. I don't think I agree he's necessarily asking for people to feel sorry for him but just to understand what it's like to grow up with such intense fame.

2 minutes ago, CyanideFishbone said:

You guys heard about this giant shitstorm from him wearing Marilyn Manson, Nirvana, and Metallica shirts? So fucking stupid. And to be completely honest, who gives a fuck about him anymore. I know some people may, but I sure as hell don't.

I mean, his number 1 album and number 1 single proves plenty of people still do? Congrats for you tho, thanks for letting everyone know.

1 minute ago, 70s said:

I mean, his number 1 album and number 1 single proves plenty of people still do? Congrats for you tho, thanks for letting everyone know.

Fair enough then, but I had absolutely 0 idea he was still writing music until I read this thread.

5 minutes ago, CyanideFishbone said:

Fair enough then, but I had absolutely 0 idea he was still writing music until I read this thread.

Not sure I believe that's true, but if it is I'm gonna need some details on that rock you live under.

5 hours ago, CyanideFishbone said:

You guys heard about this giant shitstorm from him wearing Marilyn Manson, Nirvana, and Metallica shirts? So fucking stupid. And to be completely honest, who gives a fuck about him anymore. I know some people may, but I sure as hell don't.

*sigh* Please don't take this the wrong way man, but if you really don't give a fuck, why are you even commenting about other people giving a fuck? And this is coming from someone who's neutral about Justin Bieber.

Voice your opinion as you will, but don't pretend that you don't care when you clearly do to some degree.

I'm with Clappy in that Purpose feels a little lifeless outside of the R&B tracks, which makes sense, since this was basically "Make A Musical and Media Comeback By Creating Top 40 Radio Hits For Every Song: The Album", but I still enjoy it for what it is.

Journals I have a newfound appreciation for. It's basically a slightly less polished version of the R&B cuts on Purpose, but an album full of it, and I feel like the whole thing would be super popular had Beiber not been such a douchebag around the time of release (and for a long time after lmao). Lowkey a very good pop/R&B album