• Advertisement

210a. Life Insurance

Jjs Goodman

Episode Rating  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Insurances: Sign here, and you'll be protected!
    • 4/5 Insurances: Finally, something I'm good at!
    • 3/5 Insurances: I don't know if I'd call myself an international playboy...
    • 2/5 Insurances: What's life insurance?
    • 1/5 Insurances: It's not a sea spider, you dope!

s6witHb.png 

Premieres: 

Saturday, March 18th @ 10:00am ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, March 18th @ 3:30pm ET/PT

Saturday, March 18th @ 11:30am ET/PT

Saturday, March 25th @ 9:30am ET/PT

Plot:

After a misunderstanding, SpongeBob and Patrick try to prove their life insurance protects them from any danger

Clips:

1.) http://www.nick.com/spongebob-squarepants/videos/spongebob-squarepants-210-clip/

Edited by jjsthekid

Feels kind of ironic (strange ironic) to have an episode title named this coming out so soon after "Spongebob" creator Stephan Hillenburg got diagnosed with ALS. I mean this episode was a thought LONG before Stephan got diagnosed, but still.

• Sad 1

Mediocre episode. This episode started off pretty annoying, tbh. The first half was mostly SpongeBob and Patrick annoying Squidward (even if unintentionally at times), in really not funny or amusing ways. However, I will say I kind of did like where the episode went from there. I liked how Squidward got life insurance as well, and became immune to things in a smug way. I thought him testing the life insurance with SpongeBob and Patrick was somewhat entertaining. Unfortunately, even then I feel that got somewhat repetitive (one of my major issues with this episode). Squidward did deserve his punishment at the end, since yeah, he got overly cocky and it was just dumb luck, I'm not mad about that. Him getting beat up wasn't really that funny (although his hair saving him was kind of clever I guess), but whatever. My problem with the episode is 90% of the episode's humor was basically just the same thing over and over. SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward try to see if their life insurance works, so they do something stupid, and it doesn't hurt them (until the ending for Squidward). Cue slapstick humor. Now, having slapstick comedy isn't a bad thing... but I don't know if using the same type of slapstick gag over and over is that entertaining. That might work for a montage, but not for an entire episode. I don't know, I get what they were doing, but I feel they could've done more creative things with the slapstick gags. I would've liked to see Squidward's cockiness develop more throughout the entire episode, that way his punishment felt more deserved. Ignoring the slapstick comedy, a lot of other gags weren't that great to me either. The "sea spider" running gag wasn't really funny. Patrick jumping around in SpongeBob's house and then asking "What's life insurance?" I saw coming a mile away, so I don't think it's a particularly good sign if I can predict a joke in advance. I did like the wall part though, and Gary sleeping in the bed was kind of cute, but that's about it. This wasn't outright offensively bad or anything, but meh, I didn't care for it quite honestly. It was just there. Not really good or bad, so it rounds out to mediocre for me. It's cool if you liked this, but for me, it needed...something more to it.

Hate to say it, but I think like Nuggets said a while ago, it's safe to say Kaz sadly used up all of his creativity during Phineas & Ferb. He hasn't been outright bad, but his episodes since returning have been pretty hit or miss. I guess that's what happens when you've been writing non-stop though. I'll hope his later S10 episodes are better, but after this and Snooze You Lose, I'm unsure. 

Grade: C

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 3

I think this was an okay episode. I thought seeing Gary kick a groggy SpongeBob out of the room and take his bed was funny and cute. Wasn't the guy who sold SpongeBob the life insurance the same guy who told Patrick to "get out of town"? The rest of the episode of SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward testing their life insurance was just "okayish", but the idea of SpongeBob building a death machine called the sushi maker was pretty funny, given that they're sea creatures. I didn't like this episode as much as the other one, but I still enjoyed it.

I really felt like this episode could have been a lot better. I definitely liked the idea itself and I really enjoyed seeing Squidward tag along with SpongeBob and Patrick in his shenanigans but I really felt like the episode felt repetitive at times. The gags didn't work for me, especially the running gag of spider, which was done a lot better in Home Sweet Pineapple. And the ending, while Squidward definitely deserved it, it was definitely not funny. At least they should have given SpongeBob and Patrick some sort of punishment but eh. Also Mr. Krabs' cameo annoyed me. He was there to explain how life insurance work. While he came out of nowhere, he pretty much supported Squidward in his death because he wanted money. Sorry but that part was one of the worst characterizations of Mr. Krabs, I've ever seen in a while. Otherwise, those, I just couldn't feel connected to this one. It was okay tho and it didn't bug me as much.

Grade: B-

Personally, I thought this episode was pretty funny. Certainly funnier than Kaz's earlier effort, "Snooze, You Lose." Amazing how much Spongebob can do NOW compared to earlier in the show's career. In "One Krab's Trash," they ALTERED a line Spongebob said about finding something in his PANTS; and in this episode, Nickelodeon is perfectly fine with Spongebob putting his hands under his underwear (he was looking for a pen, but STILL!) It's kind of amazing the animators got AWAY with that! Although that is honestly NOT the reason this episode gets applause, it's for the ability to write a "Hurt Squidward" episode in which Squidward genuinely EARNS the pain he gets, and it's technically NOT the fault of Spongebob and Patrick!

• God Himself 1

The "Squidward denies what SB/Pat like until they convince him otherwise and he goes crazy with it" scheme. Well not too usual but it has been done in Slide Whistle Stooges, The Snowball Effect, etc. Which also isn't really an issue because a long running series is bond to recycle stuff, but I thought I'd bring it up anyways. More boils down to if the jokes work out or not. Can't recall anything that out of the ordinary but I did like SB/Patrick's innocence on what life insurance really is. Squidward getting beaten up wasn't funny and I'm not saying it because it bothers me, I've seen much funnier scenes of Squidward getting bit by karma as I'm sure others have as well.

I didn't get to watch every single scene since I was watching a stream but I got the gist of the ep. Will have to possibly expand on my thoughts on this in the future. Still better than being at the KK 24/7 lmao.

Also hi Ficasso. 

• Like 1