• Advertisement

Worst class in school you've ever had?

I was actually going to make a blog post about this, but I really thought it'd be better as a topic. And it WOULD get more traffic considering it's an actual topic and I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say. But I digress.

Anyway, what's the worst class you've ever been in? Was it the actual class that was bad, or the people? Anyways, yeah. Pretty self explanatory from that.

Probably the worst class I've ever had was my ninth grade (last year for me) history class. Jesus fucking christ, that was an awful class. I don't like History, so that's part of it, but at least my teacher was AWESOME. But, holy shit, my teacher had been working at my school for a LONG fucking time, approx like 18 years or so, and he said this was the worst class he's ever had. Anyway, the subject was fine. But the kids. Holy shit the kids. There were like 15 or so kids who would not shut the heck up. Like, actually. They would mess with the teacher, and had NO regards for the people around them who were trying to WORK. It actually legitimately got to the point where my teacher set up rewards programs for those kids for good behavior, and guess what? Didn't work. And I wasn't talking measly dumb things like homework passes, he would willingly buy pizza for the class, and these kids were OBSESSED with eating in class and treated it as some sort of illegal drug trade or something, always bringing in food or asking their friends for food in that class behind the teacher's back. Or even in front of them, and he strictly didn't want kids bringing food in his class, but these kids..... These kids didn't care. They didn't care one little bit. They wouldn't stop. Multiple times they've been dragged out, went to the principal's office, got the teacher to call their parents.... No. They still kept doing it. It was just... my fucking god..... It was a fucking ZOO in there. Also didn't help it was the last class of the day, and me and I'm sure some other kids in that class didn't want to do anything at that time period besides go the fuck home. And it wouldn't be long until they started messing with ME, just because I wanted some peace and quiet! Yeah, every time I told them to SHUT THE FUCK UP, they mocked me! These kids were utter fucking SCUM. It's also pretty noticeable I'm nearly positive most of those kids didn't pass, and if they passed, well I've got to hope and prey until the first day of school in late August that the same group doesn't end up in the same class. But hey, they probably didn't pass, so I guess i shouldn't worry. And don't even get started on when we had a sub...... Thankfully, I would listen to music a lot in that class when we had to do independent work because it really helped me keep my chill and the teacher had NO problem with it. Yeah, worst class I've ever been in. There were so many times I was about to confront those idiots, but nope... I could never get myself to do it.

What's the worst class you've ever had?

If we are talking about school, then my 12th grade Trigonometry class.  I love math, but my teacher was terrible.  He never explained what he was teaching.  He just constantly wrote stuff down and kept saying, "come on guys this is easy."  He got fired at the end of the year, but I passed due to ending up teaching all this stuff to myself.

College though, ugh.  Biology 1 was the worst. I had a Russian professor who spoke very broken English and I kid you not, but 95% of the class dropped the course three months in by the class drop date.  Because everyone but two students were failing the course.

Anthropology in last semester (11). Fucking horrible. Our teacher was a radical feminist and it was evident in her speech. Most of the information she was trying to teach came off as misguided and biased. I barely passed by the way, that class was tough as hell.

Edited by jjsthekid

20 minutes ago, Katniss said:

My 9th grade gym class. The teacher yelled at us a lot and obviously showed favoritism to the girls in the class who were athletes.

Actually, my 9th grade gym class was ALSO horrible. It was so like.... I really don't want to phrase this the wrong way, but like... sex-seperated. Like, in health, literally ALL boys on one side of the classroom and ALL girls on the other, and this wasn't a command from the teacher. It was just that way. All the boys talked to each other (I'll get to that later) and girls talked to themselves, and one of the guys (probably my least favorite out of them, but as I said, I'll get to that later) was trying to get with one of the girls. But yeah, basically, none of the girls really talked to the boys and vice versa, and I was like the sore thumb in the middle because I could not stand the boys. On that. There were 3 or 4 boys that were good kids that I would talk to in that class every now and then who weren't part of that clique, but the rest was like this clique of boys who were basically best friends. And they were the wannabe cool type. Not like the wannabe popular type, the type who do nothing but sit inside and play COD all day and those mainstream type video games; not like the type who think they're cool and popular, no. These kids were the "that's gay!" "i fucked ur mom lol xD" type. And most of them, to be frank, were kind of... sexist. They would always talk about how all the girls sucked at the activities in gym and how they don't do anything and how they do better and would always do stuff like "We're gonna beat you GIRLS!" and that stuff. Blech. I couldn't stand them. I was so miserable in that class, it always put me in a bad mood.

And don't get me started on the salsa dancing unit we did in that class..... Eww. Or the football unit, that one needs backstory though.

Edited by CyanideFishbone

High school art class, all three goddamn years I took it.

The teacher would start class by getting up and saying "okay, your assignment is on the board" and then pointed to the board where she had written down the assignment and the instructions to follow. Then she'd say, "you have two weeks". After that, she went into the closet and cleaned, or she sat at her desk, or she gossiped with the girls. If you had a question about what to do? "Look at the board". If you had a question about how to draw something? "We've got books in the back, go flip through them". If you had a question about if something looked okay? "I have examples of work other students did, go flip through them". That was Sophomore and Junior year.

Senior year we had to do critiques. We pinned our stuff up to show the class, and then she would stare at it. And then we'd wait. And then she'd keep staring at it. And then we'd wait. And then she'd stare at us. And then we'd stare at her. And then she'd stare back at our work. And then we'd wait. And then she'd finally ask, "well, is anyone gonna say anything?" Some of us would attempt to critique, but no one knew what the hell they were really saying because the majority of the class were Juniors and Seniors that were in the class because art was "an easy A". So we tried to talk and critique, but then we'd either get off topic because we were all friends with each other and it'd devolve into just having a conversation and joking around, or people would get frustrated that critique was going nowhere because no one knew what they were saying and the teacher would end critique early and tell us to use the rest of the period to work.

There was one student in her AP class that was behind on her portfolio, and she was like really freaking out and getting upset and in tears, and she went up to her and asked what to do. Teacher's response? "Not my problem, you figure it out".

Cut to: two years later. I've graduated, and the high school has hired a new art teacher to take over the AP class. And, now, when you teach an AP course, you have to go to this lecture on how to teach it and what the grading criteria is and what they're expecting the students do and whatnot. So, towards the end of the lecture, the guy giving it has this whole segment on "how not to teach AP Art". And he's showing the slides of student work, and the new teacher is like, "wait a second... that looks familiar... and so does that... and that... wait - where have I seen these befo- oh, wait... shit".

Turns out my high school's AP art class, taught by my teacher, was used, exclusively, as the example on "how not to teach AP Art".

Yeesh.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, terminoob said:

High school art class, all three goddamn years I took it.

The teacher would start class by getting up and saying "okay, your assignment is on the board" and then pointed to the board where she had written down the assignment and the instructions to follow. Then she'd say, "you have two weeks". After that, she went into the closet and cleaned, or she sat at her desk, or she gossiped with the girls. If you had a question about what to do? "Look at the board". If you had a question about how to draw something? "We've got books in the back, go flip through them". If you had a question about if something looked okay? "I have examples of work other students did, go flip through them". That was Sophomore and Junior year.

Senior year we had to do critiques. We pinned our stuff up to show the class, and then she would stare at it. And then we'd wait. And then she'd keep staring at it. And then we'd wait. And then she'd stare at us. And then we'd stare at her. And then she'd stare back at our work. And then we'd wait. And then she'd finally ask, "well, is anyone gonna say anything?" Some of us would attempt to critique, but no one knew what the hell they were really saying because the majority of the class were Juniors and Seniors that were in the class because art was "an easy A". So we tried to talk and critique, but then we'd either get off topic because we were all friends with each other and it'd devolve into just having a conversation and joking around, or people would get frustrated that critique was going nowhere because no one knew what they were saying and the teacher would end critique early and tell us to use the rest of the period to work.

There was one student in her AP class that was behind on her portfolio, and she was like really freaking out and getting upset and in tears, and she went up to her and asked what to do. Teacher's response? "Not my problem, you figure it out".

Cut to: two years later. I've graduated, and the high school has hired a new art teacher to take over the AP class. And, now, when you teach an AP course, you have to go to this lecture on how to teach it and what the grading criteria is and what they're expecting the students do and whatnot. So, towards the end of the lecture, the guy giving it has this whole segment on "how not to teach AP Art". And he's showing the slides of student work, and the new teacher is like, "wait a second... that looks familiar... and so does that... and that... wait - where have I seen these befo- oh, wait... shit".

Turns out my high school's AP art class, taught by my teacher, was used, exclusively, as the example on "how not to teach AP Art".

Yeesh.

Ouch. I took Art last year, it was surprisingly calm. Teacher was always straightforward with what to do and was pretty open about stuff we could do in that class WHILST drawing, so I got to chill out and listen to music while doing art, which was really relaxing. Freshman year was awful, doubt next year will be much better to be honest.

I took Honors Chemistry my sophomore year of high school and it was horrible. The teacher taught out of an AP textbook despite the fact that it was honors (which was supposed to be easier than AP) and nobody had taken any AP classes before that. I failed every test, and the only reason I made a B in the class is because the teacher had to apply crazy curves to all our grades or we'd all flunk out. Definitely the most frustrating class I've ever taken.

It wasn't even as bad as most of these were, but my worst class last year, English 9, was just so... boring. Too much reading made me always fall asleep, and the teacher took FOREVER to put grades in. Aside from that she was actually an okay teacher, but with the boring as hell class I can't say I really liked it. I've heard of actually bad teachers in my school though who are biased towards certain things, and therefore mention opinions while teaching to try to get students to agree with them. Sigh. I hope I never get those teachers.

I moved around schools a lot, and one of them was a charter school and we'd have one teacher for the entire grade. Didn't really work out too well. My fourth grade teacher was a douche and would constantly insert politics into everything (even though she's teaching to 10-11 year olds) and get overtly mad and flip out and insult everyone. There was one situation where most of the class was talking and while I can see why she got frustrated, she went way too far and personally insulted everyone and said they'd go nowhere in life and failed everyone in History. As you can see, I have some emotional trauma from that.

And equally I'd go with the art class I took in fifth grade. Teacher was really mean and yelled at me for wasting everyone's time because I got distracted and I was confused about something. Art class was never really useful to me anyways because they never taught you anything about drawing.

I don't have anything past then because I've been homeschooled for 4 years.

As far as I know, Art History in 10th grade was my worst class. Almost all of the assignments were too complicated for me to understand and I ended up with an F in that class. I guess I'm not much of an art person. :/

In school, I'd say 11th grade math because the teacher was just glaringly unhelpful/ineffective teaching the material. It got to the point where I had to switch out to avoid failing.

In college, my bio 102 class last spring. The professor read straight off PowerPoint's, gave the test as a study guide and then just straight up disappeared 3 weeks before the final out of the blue.

Our 9th/10th/12th grade physics since all had same teacher and dammit he was pain our asses. Not only he couldn't teach us physics well, he even skipped some sections to catch up. Just ugh. And I don't even want to discuss drama we had with him in 12th gtade.

One of my recent classes I took over my Spring Semester. It was labeled as a psych class but all we did was STATISTICS. He didn't explain anything and so the whole time I felt like...."Am I missing something here?" It was horrible. If he hadn't changed the weight of the grade scale then we all would've failed. It makes me feel like I didn't earn the A I got but whatever. Raised my gpa so who cares.

6 hours ago, Sauce Mama said:

One of my recent classes I took over my Spring Semester. It was labeled as a psych class but all we did was STATISTICS. He didn't explain anything and so the whole time I felt like...."Am I missing something here?" It was horrible. If he hadn't changed the weight of the grade scale then we all would've failed. It makes me feel like I didn't earn the A I got but whatever. Raised my gpa so who cares.

Yo, I took actual Statistics last semester and it was the same. I feel your pain, man.

• Like 1