• Advertisement

Worst class in school you've ever had?

My Math class last year. I was so miserable in that class. It was nowhere near as bad as my freshman History or Gym class, but it was baaaaad. The class was an Honors one because I did really well in Math freshman year and yeah this classed fucked me up. The teacher was horrible. She basically babied us all through out and did not teach effectively. I don't know quite how, but I'll try to sum it up; she never went in depth, treated us like kindergartners or that we were stupid, and just sloppily and never really explained alternatives to how we approached any things. I almost failed that class (I think I got a 70 or something on my final, curved, while I got a 92 on my French final which was uncurved, and i believe a 91 for Chemistry). I never got higher than a 80 for quarter grades, I think my highest was a 77. I just was not learning anything, I tried so hard, got tutored, tried my best, and only came out understanding some of the concepts, and most of them not even amazingly. She was such an awful teacher. I'm taking standard Math next year because of it, with my 3 other core classes revolving of an AP and 2 honors. 

My worst had to be my Algebra class last year (9th grade). The teacher barely explained ANYTHING, and I was too afraid to ask him for help because I knew he'd say, "Weren't you paying attention?" even though I was and I still didn't get it. I'm actually surprised I passed the class, because I was horrible at Math to begin with. And that class didn't help DX 

3 hours ago, Spongetron Robotpants said:

My worst had to be my Algebra class last year (9th grade). The teacher barely explained ANYTHING, and I was too afraid to ask him for help because I knew he'd say, "Weren't you paying attention?" even though I was and I still didn't get it. I'm actually surprised I passed the class, because I was horrible at Math to begin with. And that class didn't help DX 

My math teacher barely explained anything too, and when you spoke up, she did the same thing again. She was awful my god. I'm glad I'm not the only one, pretty much everyone who's had her doesn't like her too. I'm hoping to have an actual math class this year even though I don't like math but I at least want to do okay in it 

Edited by CyanideFishbone

Seeing this topic reminds me that I also took Art History in college and that class was a load of hot garbage.  Didn't give us a textbook, was not allowed to take notes or anything.  He just wanted to us to pay attention to his lecture and remember all 500 paintings he showed us for his midterm.  Which sucked because I really actually liked taking Art Appreciation the semester before Art History.  What a difference two professors makes.

• Like 1

Gym, specifically in middle school. I think the problem is that I'm not athletic at all but every day we'd take a ton of stairs down to a field and do a bunch of running. I always had it at the end of the year so it was really dang hot, too. I've been more upset over many other class but I at least walk away with a good grade at the end. Some in the class could run a 5 minute mile so the teachers expected everyone to do that so I got about a 75. :/ 

I have to do gym next semester and I bet it'll be even worse

On 9/7/2017 at 7:19 AM, MMM said:

Gym, specifically in middle school. I think the problem is that I'm not athletic at all but every day we'd take a ton of stairs down to a field and do a bunch of running. I always had it at the end of the year so it was really dang hot, too. I've been more upset over many other class but I at least walk away with a good grade at the end. Some in the class could run a 5 minute mile so the teachers expected everyone to do that so I got about a 75. :/ 

I have to do gym next semester and I bet it'll be even worse

Yeah gym was the worst. I remember hating it especially freshman year of high school due to the fact I pretty much loathed everyone in my class, but it was really bad in middle school too.

I remember in 6th grade for some reason they didn't want you to change in the bathroom stall? LIKE WHAT THE FUCK lmao. I feel uncomfortable changing in front of others (I'm not homophobic or anything, I'm just really shy when it comes to that stuff and I'm sure a lot of other people are too) I always changed in the bathroom stall then and none of the teachers really cared

Edited by CyanideFishbone

On 9/6/2017 at 9:49 PM, Clappy said:

Seeing this topic reminds me that I also took Art History in college and that class was a load of hot garbage.  Didn't give us a textbook, was not allowed to take notes or anything.  He just wanted to us to pay attention to his lecture and remember all 500 paintings he showed us for his midterm.  Which sucked because I really actually liked taking Art Appreciation the semester before Art History.  What a difference two professors makes.

Ugh, remembering paintings sucks. Art History majors are really the only people that actually need to do that. If you really like the artist/art period then it's more than likely that their name and style will stick out to you over the names of a specific piece. I love me some Mannerist art, as well as Caravaggio, Bernini, Hieronymus Bosch, Dali, what have you - zero chance of me knowing any titles.

I had to take a required "Art History of the World" type of class my Freshman year, and then I had to take it again when I transferred, and it was basically just writing down names, titles, and dates. There wasn't any sort of thought being put into it, it was just "cool, you sort of paid attention, have a cookie and a B-" type of deal.

Also took a "History of Sound Design". The professor didn't require a textbook (because there are none), she didn't require any reading (because there is none), and she showed us a video of her performing a concert where played a balloon like a cello. One of the homework assignments was to listen to Gregorian chant.

The last art history class I took was called "Magic and Art", and it was taught by this extremely anti-establishment bordering-on-anarchist libertarian who would often go on tirades about what's wrong with literally every part of the entire world, and the point of the class was to, like, examine each individual part of a painting and try to explain the meaning behind what the artist was trying to do and how they were playing with our expectations and why X artist was clearly objectively better than Y artist and why piece A was clearly objectively better than piece B and if you didn't agree with him then you were totally wrong. He'd typically show B-movies (Cat People, A Bucket of Blood, Carnival of Souls) and the class would decide to act like they were in MST3K or something and just try to make jokes and talk over the movie. He gave one homework assignment, a mid-term, a 5-page final essay, and a handful of in-class writing assignments, and he never gave any grades back, but if you wanted to pass then you just needed to basically write down everything he said in a lecture and then copy it verbatim onto the writing assignments because if you had an opinion that wasn't his then you were more than likely wrong. For the in-class assignments and the mid-term he wanted us to recount all of the paintings that he had shown us in the prior weeks and compare/contrast them and explain what they were trying to accomplish and if they had succeeded and why you believed they did/did not and what your interpretation of the symbolist movement was and why art does not reproduce the visible. The final was basically a free-for-all as long as you could convince him of your argument (which, if I remember correctly, was something along the lines of "explain why this is art"), and I'm pretty sure some kid did his about Persona 4.

As a Cartooning major I was required to take "History of Cartooning", which was a combination of the professor showing us old cartoons and talking about how we'll never be as good as Will Eisner or Jack Kirby.

Art history is whacky.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2016 at 3:05 AM, George Costanza said:

As far as I know, Art History in 10th grade was my worst class. Almost all of the assignments were too complicated for me to understand and I ended up with an F in that class. I guess I'm not much of an art person. :/

Actually, you know what? I take this back. Economics was a pain in the ass to complete. Not just because they were hard but there were sooooooooo many assignments to complete each week compared to all of my other classes which had 6 assignments or something.

though tbh, art history would still tie with that subject, so glad that some people are agreeing with me on that

Don't remember elementary too well at all anymore honestly to remember if I disliked any classes (although I can say most of 6th grade was pretty frustrating due to my horrible homeroom). But I'll do the rest.

Middle School: 8th grade English, without a doubt. Teacher was extremely rude and acted like a drill sergeant. The class should've been easy, but her teaching style and attitude made it difficult. It pretty much felt like an AP class in middle school. I'm honestly still amazed to this day I even passed the class. Pre-Algebra is also up there. It wasn't as bad as the aforementioned, but the classmates were horrible. They made it annoying to sit through, and because of their behavior, we often got extra homework assigned. Outside of them though, as much as I felt bad for her, the teacher wasn't that great either. Her notes felt very barren and barely explained much, especially since it felt like she was texting them due to all the vague abbreviations in them. I ended up having to self-teach myself a lot. Needless to say, those two classes were the roughest parts of 8th grade for me.

High School: US History I and Video Game Design. For US History I, it saddens me to put it here because I love history, but it's probably the worst history class I've ever taken so far. It was very boring, maybe it was due to either the teacher's dull voice or the fact he always had the lights out, but I struggled to keep focus. Teaching wise, he did a poor job teaching us or explaining anything. It also took us more than half the class to even get to the actual lesson due to his ridiculously long warm-ups, and by then we barely had enough time to cover the material. For Video Game Design, the class could've been fun, but the teacher literally taught us nothing whatsoever and had no clue what she was doing. She always gave us projects that never got finished because she couldn't teach us how to use Unity, or gave us random unrelated tasks that had nothing to do with anything. She also acted rude and ignorant to students, couldn't take any criticism that the course was a mess, and was generally just a horrible teacher. 

College: So far, I haven't really had a class I dislike (we'll see if that changes). However, the closest right now would be English 102. The professor was very nice and all, but the class felt like a giant waste of time. We only met once a week and the fact it was a three hour class didn't help. Despite having three whole hours, we barely did anything. There's also the fact half the class vanished as the weeks went on, and it just kept felt like I was wasting my time. It was an easy A though, so I don't hate it that much.

Edited by jjsthekid

can\t say if i have any worst class i had, but the 7th & 8th grade math is surely one of the worst to me. the teacher was like rude to the class, and he expect us to do such math problem like this ( Personailly, i hate division in genral), and there's no hell way i can go through with this bullcrap UGH...

hight school:  i guess i could say English, the teacher barely taught us anything but  to help us as i was one of the class was not able to understand her. I at least give a try, but the class was not good at all. Even the class went very wrong with her teaching with us wasn't working for us. so yeah i have to get used to it.

College: so far nothing yet, but guess i'll come back later once winter semester is over.

20 hours ago, jjsthekid said:

Don't remember elementary too well at all anymore honestly to remember if I disliked any classes (although I can say most of 6th grade was pretty frustrating due to my horrible homeroom). But I'll do the rest.

Middle School: 8th grade English, without a doubt. Teacher was extremely rude and acted like a drill sergeant. The class should've been easy, but her teaching style and attitude made it difficult. It pretty much felt like an AP class in middle school. I'm honestly still amazed to this day I even passed the class. Pre-Algebra is also up there. It wasn't as bad as the aforementioned, but the classmates were horrible. They made it annoying to sit through, and because of their behavior, we often got extra homework assigned. Outside of them though, as much as I felt bad for her, the teacher wasn't that great either. Her notes felt very barren and barely explained much, especially since it felt like she was texting them due to all the vague abbreviations in them. I ended up having to self-teach myself a lot. Needless to say, those two classes were the roughest parts of 8th grade for me.

High School: US History I and Video Game Design. For US History I, it saddens me to put it here because I love history, but it's probably the worst history class I've ever taken so far. It was very boring, maybe it was due to either the teacher's dull voice or the fact he always had the lights out, but I struggled to keep focus. Teaching wise, he did a poor job teaching us or explaining anything. It also took us more than half the class to even get to the actual lesson due to his ridiculously long warm-ups, and by then we barely had enough time to cover the material. For Video Game Design, the class could've been fun, but the teacher literally taught us nothing whatsoever and had no clue what she was doing. She always gave us projects that never got finished because she couldn't teach us how to use Unity, or gave us random unrelated tasks that had nothing to do with anything. She also acted rude and ignorant to students, couldn't take any criticism that the course was a mess, and was generally just a horrible teacher. 

College: So far, I haven't really had a class I dislike (we'll see if that changes). However, the closest right now would be English 102. The professor was very nice and all, but the class felt like a giant waste of time. We only met once a week and the fact it was a three hour class didn't help. Despite having three whole hours, we barely did anything. There's also the fact half the class vanished as the weeks went on, and it just kept felt like I was wasting my time. It was an easy A though, so I don't hate it that much.

I'm taking US History I this year. Honors actually. I love history, and I'm really interested in everything and don't find it that boring at all, but it depends on my teacher. My teacher's brand new and is replacing the history teacher that's normally there because she's on maternity leave. My teacher is pretty meh. I'm learning things, so that's good, but she doesn't quite know how to deal with some of the loud, annoying kids in that class.