• Advertisement

Crushing's Top 10 Game Controllers

crushingmayhem

So I had this idea for a while now. In this thread I will rank 10 game controllers I think changed gaming and gave us the best experience with. This will be according to my opinion and I won't be biased or anything. Note that I will only list controllers from gaming consoles, PC controllers or any other controllers will not appear on this list. Give your thoughts on the matter and tell me the experiences you've had with each controller.

I will start with:

#10:

41rxVPiwzKL._SX300_.jpg

Nintendo 64 Controller

Well what can I say about this controller. It was unique for its time as it was one of the first video game controllers to feature an analog stick and controller expansion capabilities. The design is not one of the best, and i'm pretty sure most of you would agree with that. But the buttons work really well for a controller of its time. The analog stick being the most important feature, had some criticism from various sources since it was rather weak at times, notorious for breaking in games like Mario Party. Other than in party games, it pretty much worked just fine on FPS games like Goldeneye for example, which used the stick to move freely while using the C buttons to move the camera around, a feature also present in Super Mario 64. The left part of the controller is famous for not being used in too many games, but that wasn't always the case as several 2D games, and games like Pokemon Stadium used it quite often. The Z button was in my opinion, one of the best features of the controller, and it worked really well in games like Zelda Ocarina of Time where you targeted enemies, and also in FPS games, while it wasn't a trigger button like in today's controllers it still has that special charm to it that many gamers will immediately recognize. In general I can see why Nintendo went for the rather odd design, being one of the first 3D controllers (the PS dualshock came years later), the left part was intended for 2D games since it has the D-Pad plus a 6 button layout (similar to Sega controllers) and two shoulder buttons (like the SNES). As for the center and right parts, that was intended for 3D gaming, since it has a major focus on freedom of movement, as seen in most N64 games. And as I mentioned in the beginning, the controller had an expansion port for different purposes, the most famous being the Rumble Pak which introduced vibration to modern game controllers, and the Controller Pak that allowed you to save your data on certain games, pretty much like an memory card would. In conclusion, this was a game controller that changed gaming for the better, while not being perfect it certainly has that classic feel to it.

• Like 6

Guest hilaryfan80

The N64 controller is one of my favorites. Honestly, it's not as great as, say, the GameCube and PlayStation controllers, but I loved it either way. The only thing I did not like about the N64's controller is the way that the joystick feels, but we have to take into consideration that the joystick's mechanics are similar to that of a ball mouse (other technologies were not invented yet). Either way, I could see the N64 controller not being in the top 5, but I'm glad that it made your list.

#9:

sega-dreamcast-controller1.jpg

Sega Dreamcast Controller

This controller while not being visually appealing it certainly made its way into gaming by introducing some new features. The analog stick was one feature that was relatively new to Sega consoles at the time, despite being introduced in the 3D controller of the Sega Saturn. For the most part the analog worked really well, one complaint was that it was somewhat hard and could cause pain if playing too long, but as most controllers at the time, the design doesn't always hold up to today's standards as it doesn't include a second analog stick which could potentially be used for FPS games and moving the camera. Most FPS games had a similar  layout to FPS games on the N64 (due to the lack of a 2nd analog stick). The face buttons and d-pad works just fine for the most part, despite the fact that the d-pad received some criticism, but knowing that the console had a large number of fighting games (mostly from Capcom) it was fairly used. The controller's cord, while it wasn't a good design in theory, you could stretch it to a long distance, and could put it in the back of the controller just as any other controller. As for the trigger buttons, they were something that proved to be revolutionary, since modern consoles use triggers on their controllers, it paved the way for FPS games to become more popular on consoles, especially on the original Xbox which seems to have its controller based on the Dreamcast controller. One interesting feature the Dreamcast controller also had was its expansion ports (similar to the N64 controller) which could have rumble and a microphone (used on games like Seaman for example) but also the most interesting of them all the VMU. The VMU was basically a memory card but also had a screen on it and basic controls that you could use to play mini-games, it was unlike any other memory card on any console, the VMU could also be used as a small screen on the controller, which usually said which game you're playing or showed your health bar on certain games. Seems to have inspired other controllers in the future, for example the Wii U's gamepad which also features a screen in it. In general, this was a great controller and as I said before, it served as an inspiration for future controllers in many ways, probably one of the reasons why the Dreamcast is said to be ahead of its time.

• Like 3

#8:

xbox-s-controller-large.jpg

Xbox Controller S

This controller is an interesting choice. As a redesigned model of the original "Duke" controller, it really was a major redesign of the old controller. First off starting by the face buttons, in the original controller they were shaped in an odd oval-like shape with the black and white buttons being on the top. This was the target of multiple complains and thus Microsoft deserves some credit for moving them to the bottom, making it easier to hit them while playing. As for the analog sticks themselves, they work flawlessly for the most part, its a very convenient design in my opinion which later continued on the Xbox 360 and so on. The D-Pad could be better but it seems to have a good design, though it should've been kept on the Xbox 360 as that console's controller was criticized for its problematic D-Pad. The triggers are very well designed, and look like they were designed with FPS games in mind, like Halo for example. For the most part the controller draws inspiration from the Dreamcast controller in several aspects, especially the original controller. With that being said, the shape of the controller is probably the most convenient since it has a comfortable feel to it, definitely a feature that was improved from the original controller which was criticized for being too bulky at times. On a final note, this controller was great for its time since it made way for the Xbox 360 controller, plus it was comfortable enough for gamers.

#7:

NES_controller_99.jpg

NES Controller

This controller is probably one of the more important controllers in gaming history, its design going from the D-Pad to the A and B buttons was well designed for its time. Going to the actual controller functions, the D-Pad has a simplistic design with each side corresponding to each direction you could move your character on. The select and start buttons also were an innovation, before the NES controller very few consoles had a pause button on the controller. Unlike Atari and other companies, Nintendo decided to incorporate that option unto the controller, which in the end proved to be one of their better decisions and is something that today's consoles still use. As for the select button, this is something important as well even though it wasn't as used as originally intended, regardless today's consoles incorporate that into their controllers mostly for special options. And finally, the face buttons of A and B, these buttons made everything different for consoles, without them gaming wouldn't have the diversity it has today, starting with games like Super Mario Bros that made good use of the buttons for jumping and throwing fireballs. In general, this was a controller that will forever be enshrined in the hearts of gamers, while it may not have the best design today it was certainly a revolutionary controller in many ways.

• Like 1

#6:

xboxone-frontview-stockblack.png

Xbox One Controller

This controller while being fairly new has already reached this list. Overall the design seems very well done, being based on the Xbox 360 controller this controller features face buttons like any other controller and a sleek design compared to other controllers. The buttons seem to work great from my experience, but what makes this controller stand out over other Xbox controllers is the D-Pad, which seems far superior from that of the Xbox 360's, which was a major complaint on the controller of that console. So far its fairly decent for fighting games, especially games like Killer Instinct which use the D-Pad frequently. The triggers in general are very well designed for FPS games, in my opinion it's a feature that makes it stand out above other controllers including the PS4 dualshock. The analog sticks feel good for the most part, while being similar to the Xbox 360 controller they seem more responsive and can work well for FPS games. Also, an interesting feature this controller introduces (along with PS4's controller) are the Menu and View buttons which pretty much serve a similar purpose as the previous Start and Back buttons with some minor exceptions. Recently the controller received a revision that includes a headset port, in my opinion this was a good move in their part since it keeps them up to par with the competition, even though it was a mistake to not include it on the original model. On a final note, this is a controller that was put a lot of effort in creating, and may well become remembered for that. Definitely a controller to use if you are a FPS fan.

• Like 1

#5:

200214.jpg

Sega Genesis/Megadrive Controller

This controller definitely deserves a spot in this list, while it didn't bring much to the table back then compared to other controllers it was actually a very simple controller to use. Starting with the face buttons they actually worked well for the time especially in games like Sonic the Hedgehog which used the buttons to jump, and also in games like the Streets of Rage series which used them to punch and kick opponents, in general it had a decent setup. The D-Pad in my opinion is one of the best of any console as it doesn't hurt that much after playing too long (compared to the NES or SNES D-Pads) and it has 6 directions, which makes it easier to go diagonally in certain games as opposed to pressing two directions at once. The controller also has handles, making it one of the first controllers to feature it, its something that makes it feel good on the hands similar to modern game controllers. The advent of fighting games meant that the original controller was limited to certain moves due to having only 3 buttons and no shoulder buttons, like what happened in Mortal Kombat where you had to press the start button to block. This was eventually corrected in the 6 button controller (as shown in the picture above) which put the Genesis' controller on par with the SNES controller in terms of the amount of buttons despite lacking shoulder buttons. All of the controller's buttons were used in certain games, but mostly on Sega CD titles. The design of this controller would eventually be used on the Sega Saturn's controller as well, which is usually considered one of the best controllers for fighting games up to this date. In general, this was a controller that made an impact on gaming, perhaps not as big of an impact as Nintendo controllers did but still worth the mention.

10 - Ah, yes. Despite how clunky it looks, the Nintendo 64 controller is actually pretty easy to handle.

9 - I have no experience using it.

8 - It looks like a horrible ripoff of the GameCube controller... Yet again, no experience.
7 -  Hmm. I know the controller but I have no experience using it. I haven't even seen one IRL.
6 - Eh. I think the Xbox One is overrated.

5 -  I've seen one but never actually used one.

Also, why do I expect the Xbox 360 controller to be on the list too?

Just the placement of the features in general looks almost like whoever made the controller used the GameCube controller as a guide, then slapped on an Xbox logo.

I don't remember the Gamecube controller having Black and White Buttons, memory cards in the controllers, or analog sticks of the same size, but... okay?

#4:

674189-sony_dual_shock_2.jpg

Playstation Dualshock Controller

Ok picking this one was slightly harder since Sony consoles all share the same controller design with some minor alterations. Regardless, I included it as a single controller on this list. To start, this is a very good controller since its buttons are easy to reach and don't feel like they need to be forced too much. The face button layout has the traditional diamond shape which makes it easy to play, but what makes it different from other controllers are the X, O, square, and triangle buttons which make the controller unique, unlike other controllers which feature the traditional A,B,X,Y buttons. As for the d-pad, I find it very easy to handle, especially when navigating through options and also while playing fighting games since each side is separate unlike other controllers. The analog sticks work well in theory but can sometimes cause your thumb to fall off of them since for the most part they don't have a placement for your finger like other controllers and the placement is convex instead of concave like other controllers. Before the original Dualshock on the PSX, game movement was made through the d-pad and this caused a problem on many 3D games at the time, however once the Dualshock was first introduced it included two analog sticks and a rumble feature (similar to the Nintendo 64), these features proved to be great for their time and still are. The shoulder buttons feel good for the most part, the only complaint I have about it is with the PS3's Dualshock L2 and R2 that can sometimes be accidentally pressed if you leave them on a table and overall feel somewhat unstable. As for the overall shape of the controller, I think it can sometimes feel too small if you have big hands since unlike other controllers it is more for the finger to grip and not the palm of your hand, occasionally I have to move my hand a lot because of the different grip it has.but other than that it can be a great controller to play with, especially for playing fighting games, not so much for FPS games but everyone has a different opinion on that. In general its a great controller that has lasted for multiple generations and thus deserves some credit.

#3:

xbox-360-controller.jpg

Xbox 360 Controller

As you might have expected, this controller reached the top 3 on this list. Being an improvement over the original Xbox's controller, it certainly became a symbol in gaming for a long time to come, even surpassing other iconic controllers. But going to the design, the face buttons have a nice design to them being in multiple colors and all, they feel responsive in most games and don't hurt after playing for too long, although one criticism I'd give it is that they aren't pressure sensitive buttons (as opposed to the PS3's controller) which could cause some problems in certain games. The analog sticks have a decent feel, they are very responsive and work well for just about any game, but mainly first person shooters, which also are played with the triggers, one feature that exceeds just about any controller in the FPS aspect. As for the D-Pad, this is where I put most of my complaints in, it can sometimes be difficult to play fighting games correctly with it, while it can be good for navigating through options in certain games, it can get difficult to use after a while; a revision was later made that fixed the problem though. As for the shape of the controller itself, I can say that its very comfortable, at least in my experience. It has rubber which can make your hands feel more comfortable when holding it, not to mention it has a traditional layout to it. While it can be heavier at times, it certainly works right for most games, despite requiring battery change after a while. In general, this is a controller that deserves its praise despite some problems it had. Definitely a controller that changed gaming.

• Like 1

#2:

Spoiler

FT5SW7GG8XPHWJ7.MEDIUM.jpg

Super Nintendo (SNES) Controller

This controller is definitely deserves a spot on this list. Being one of the most revolutionary of them all, it introduced the diamond layout we know in game controllers today. To start off, the face buttons have a good shape to them, they are easy to press and pretty responsive. Coming from the NES controller it introduced 4 face buttons as opposed to 2 which expanded game experiences across multiple genres, most notably in Fighting Games and RPGs which used them for pulling off moves and different options. One interesting feature that this controller introduced was holder buttons, this allowed for better gameplay and is something that controllers still use, mainly in shooting games and fighters. As for the d-pad, it has an iconic design still memorable to this day, it can work really well for the majority of games on the console although there was some complaint that it could cause your finger to hurt if you play for too long, but this wasn't an issue for all gamers. The overall shape of the controller feels really nice for its time, while it might not have handles like the Genesis controller or modern controllers for that matter, it can fit nicely in your hands and its definitely worth the praise. In conclusion, this controller helped shape the future of gaming as we know it, without it gaming would be completely different today.