• Advertisement

The slow pacing of s9

Cha

Does anyone notice this in a majority of them? They might have interesting plots, but the execution makes them really slow. Examples being It Came From Goo Lagoon, SB You're Fired, The Executive Treatment and etc. Now this has been bothering me for ages and I swear that I felt like I was the only one who noticed this throughout the season.

Thing with a lot of these Season 9 plots is that they're taking chances with new, inventive ideas, but unfortunately the ideas can't hold up an 11-minute episode. Hence, the dragging. It might not even be the nature of the plot points, it's that nothing is done with them. Which is a shame, because it shows in some ways the writers are being ambitious and in some ways they're being lazy.

• Like 9

I always felt some episodes were slow paced, not just newer ones. Its not a bad thing, its just how some stories develop. For example, when a story tends to be deeper it usually becomes slow paced because it needs explanation, kinda like Krusty Krab Training Video was. Most of the series is fast paced though since it doesn't necessarily have a story behind it.

• Like 1

Actually, I found the episodes to be slow very often in the previous seasons 6-8 (New Fish in Town, Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, Professor Squidward, Free Samples, Walking the Plankton, Fiasco, The Googly Artist, Choir Boys). I don't see it getting worse this season. It anything, the episodes are getting better at fast jokes.

Slow pacing was always an element of the show but with certain newer episodes, that has been exaggerated more and also because they're just aren't enough gags to fill up the run time. It was at its worst in Season 7 IMO. This hasn't been so much of the problem with the recent episodes that have come out so I think bringing in new people to do storyboards has really helped. 

• Like 4

The same problem that SpongeBob is still trying to fix since the middle of season 4; a lack of jokes. As I said before:

The difference between season 9 and seasons 2 and 3 is that the former seems to use the story to build up the jokes while the latter seasons (2 & 3) used the story as a platform to tell as many jokes possible.

Luckily, season 9 actually did some inventive stories which made the episodes at least interesting and engaging, whilst seasons 6-7 seems to fill out the episode with repepetitive jokes and unfunny, unnecessary banter. Just look at episodes like Dear Vikings and Pineapple Fever. Two episodes so lacking in creativity and thought that it felt like the characters in those episodes were looking at each other going "so... what do we do now?"

• Like 3

The same problem that SpongeBob is still trying to fix since the middle of season 4; a lack of jokes. As I said before:

Luckily, season 9 actually did some inventive stories which made the episodes at least interesting and engaging, whilst seasons 6-7 seems to fill out the episode with repepetitive jokes and unfunny, unnecessary banter. Just look at episodes like Dear Vikings and Pineapple Fever. Two episodes so lacking in creativity and thought that it felt like the characters in those episodes were looking at each other going "so... what do we do now?"

very very true

Does anyone notice this in a majority of them? They might have interesting plots, but the execution makes them really slow. Examples being It Came From Goo Lagoon, SB You're Fired, The Executive Treatment and etc. Now this has been bothering me for ages and I swear that I felt like I was the only one who noticed this throughout the season.

latest?cb=20121023221130

Just Sayin'