• Advertisement

Season 5 v.s Season 8

Young Nug

Choose, Man  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Season 8 or Season 5?

• Season 8, bruh
    • Season 5, boi

Everytime I think about SpongeBob's seasons it's pretty simple. The Pre-Movie Seasons come first, then Season 4, Seasons 5 and 8 are pretty tied, then 9A, then 7, then 6, easy. But Season 8 and Season 5 are always switching around for me and I can never come up with an answer. Season 5's got some classic flair left and some truly dope episodes, but it's also got some absolute awful ones in the mix with some mediocre stuff in the latter half. Season 8 on the other hand is far more consistent, with only a few real duds, but at the same time I don't know if the level of quality Season 8 averages out at the same level as Season 5 does or higher.

So, I open the debate: Which do you think is better? This question has been bugging me forever and I want to see what you guys think. Sooooo go

Season 5, episodes like Chum Fricasee and For here or to go can be really boring at times, so that brings s8 down a little as at least you've always got something to really say besides meh for season 5.

I'd say season 8 because it was such a huge improvement over season 6 and 7, Sandy was focused on a lot and most of characters were back to their orijinal selves. Yes, the season has Are You Happy Now, Pet Sitter Pat, inSPONGEiac, Demolotion Doofus, Smoothe Jazz, Face Freeze, Oral Report, Bubble Troubles, Restraining SpongeBob but I personally think most of the episodes are good too. Yes? I've they took things a bit far but I think they paid off for most part. This is also the season that brought us Planet of the Jellyfish, Mooncation, It's a SpongeBob Christmas, A Friendly Game (Yes, it's a Squidward torture episode but I coukdn't help myself laughing) Plankyon's Good Eye, Ghoul Fools, The Good Krabby Name and Hello Bikini Bottom.

Season 5 has a lot classics too but there are also some gross, stupid and really mean-spirited episodes. This was the season that made me realize that the show is going downhill.

When Season 5 was good man, it was good. Like, there are a lot of episodes in Season 5 I could easily slot into 2-3, no question. And they make up for the duds a lot more than Season 8's okay episodes make up for its ehh ones.

(What i'm trying to say is I find Season 8 mediocre)

• Like 2

Season 8 was a really interesting season in that there were some really original episode ideas like The Hot Shot, Frozen Face-Off, Sweet and Sour Squid, Ghoul Fools, Mermaid Man Begins, Hello Bikini Bottom, Planet of the Jellyfish, Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go! and even more that I can't remember off-hand. There was also the whole vacation arc which actually had some decent episodes come out of it. However, I do think people give a bit too much credit to Season 8 since it came after 6 and 7, setting the bar pretty low which made the episodes seem better than they actually were.

The biggest problem I find is that when Season 8 is bad, it's really bad. Like, Demolition Doofus, Glove World RIP, Face Freeze (loved the face drawings but that's about it), Smooth Jazz at Bikini Bottom, Pet Sitter Pat, and Oral Report are all either extremely bland and humorless or downright ruin established characters. I think Patrick is probably at his worst during this season as he comes off as more annoyingly dumb than a lovable idiot.

With Season 5 though, I find the bad episodes tend to be just boring but rarely outright horrible, and the really good episodes are easily Pre-Movie quality. I think Season 5 also ends up being my preferred season because it was the last remnants of classic SpongeBob, since in Season 6 we got a lot of new writers which changed the show's tone a lot. Plus, there was a lot of gold especially with stuff like Friend or Foe which is my favorite special, and while it overall lacked the variety of Season 8, the writing and jokes worked far better.

• Like 1

When Season 5 hits hard, it hits HARD. Some absolute shite episodes are there, but some dope episodes are also there. It's a pretty mixed season, probably the most so of them all. Season 8 is mostly just ok to good but not amazing episodes. While if I was forced to watch a random episode from one of the two seasons and i didn't know what it is I'd choose S8 because I'd pretty much be sure the episode would be fine, but if I got a good one from S5 I'd prefer it. Sing A Song of Patrick could easily make my top 5-10 episodes. Let's not forget Roller Cowards, Spy Buddies, The Krusty Plate, Bucket Sweet Bucket, or Blackened Sponge.

They both seem to even out to each other in the long run. Season 5 has a lot of great, classic eipisodes such as Krabs a la Mode and Friend or Foe along with some great ones like Rollar Cowards; they're also fundamentally evened out by terrible duds such as To Love a Patty.

Season 8 is consistently.. mediocre for the most part with a few good ones like Treats and Planet of the Jellyfish and a few bad ones like Squidward's School for Grown-Ups and that one about the jazz concert I think it was Smooth Jazz in Bikini Bottom. (wtf I'm already forgetting episode tittles :( )

It's almost impossible to compare the seasons as they both seem to operate differently and are more transition seasons than anything. I guess I have to go with Season 5 overall becuase there are some awesome episodes compared to Season 8's moslty eh episodes.

Man. I remember once upon a time back in the prehistoric tv.con days Season 5 was once considered the worst season and people thought Season 6 was Season 4 quality. Boy how the opinions have changed and rightfully so. Season 5 has aged better and Season 6 has not. That being said, I still think Season 8 has more good episodes than Season 5 does, but when it comes to bad episodes, Season 5 may have more (including my personal least favorite), but Season 8 has some pretty bad stinkers that are worse than some of the bad of Season 5. I'm not entirely sure myself, but I'm going to pick Season 8.

• Like 1

Man. I remember once upon a time back in the prehistoric tv.con days Season 5 was once considered the worst season and people thought Season 6 was Season 4 quality. Boy how the opinions have changed and rightfully so. Season 5 has aged better and Season 6 has not. That being said, I still think Season 8 has more good episodes than Season 5 does, but when it comes to bad episodes, Season 5 may have more (including my personal least favorite), but Season 8 has some pretty bad stinkers that are worse than some of the bad of Season 5. I'm not entirely sure myself, but I'm going to pick Season 8.

lel, now season 8 is considered as bad but back in 2011-2013, it was considered as an improvement over the last seasons.

I prefer season 5 BIG TIME. I can sit through and enjoy all the episodes (except maybe Atlantis), while, after seeing some season 8 episodes only three times, it gets boring and kinda bland already. On a macro level, season 8 feels like a boring season 7.. (With season 6 still as the worst one).

Wow, I think about this all the time too. I can't decide which season is better overall, because they both have their gems that stand out as some of the best in the series IMO. I wish I could come up with my legit final answer...

For now, I'm gonna lean towards season 5 being better. That could change at any second.

Man. I remember once upon a time back in the prehistoric tv.con days Season 5 was once considered the worst season and people thought Season 6 was Season 4 quality.

Proof or it didn't happen. No like seriously I'm interested to see these for myself. :P

I think Season 5 and Season 8 are equal. They both have a fair share of good episodes, okay episodes, mediocre episodes, and bad episodes. Also, I do kinda like how Season 8 is being compared to Season 5 now. I remember when S8 was being hyped as the holy grail of entertainment, and I was just watching it episodes from it being like...

"...I don't get the hype for this. This is the same post-movie Spongebob I've known for eight years."

I'll confess that I didn't see all of Season 8 though, I had stopped keeping up with Spongebob at that point.

• Like 2

Season 5 tends to go more to the extremes. Like, when it did good, it did good (a la Mode), but when it got bad, it got bad (SquarePantis). Season 8 is a lot more consistent but staticThere aren't any really bad episodes, but there aren't any really good episodes either. That being said, an average season 8 episode is better than an average season 5 episode. Most of the time, at least. So, I'd say on overall quality, season 8 pips 5, but if I wanted to see an entire season just for fun and I had to choose between those 2, I'd pick season 5 because it's far more interesting.