• Advertisement

My Rambling/Praising/Reviews About Assorted Things, Mostly Music

CyanideFishbone

Taking suggestions

Do some Tool Lateralus (The album, not just the song)

I've put Tool on my "to listen to" list for a long time, but have only listened to a few of their songs. I've started Lateralus now, and it's great so far.

Here we go. I wanted to do this, so sure. Why not review one of my favorite albums of all time from this sort of shitty and stressful week. 

2jcy3wz.jpg

Release date: Febuary 1st, 1994

Genre: Alternative rock, pop punk

Length: 39:38

Label: Reprise

This record has a special place in my heart. It's one I can listen to over and over again and never get tired of. I love nearly everything about this album and it stands as my second favorite album of all time. Despite the sometimes vulgar subjects of the songs (I'm looking at you Longview) it still just puts me in a great mood.

Now, how we will review albums around here? I'm doing track by track. I will give each song a number grade out of 10 and a final letter grade.

Let's get started.

1. Burnout

I love this song. It's a example of Green Day during their prime; It's fast and brash and pretty short. Great song and a great way to start off the album. 9/10.

2. Having A Blast

I absolutely love the irony with the title. It's a song about what I assume is a child/person trying to kill a ex-friend of theirs. It's kind of insecure, and emotional and that's what I love about this song. 10/10.

3. Chump

One of the weaker songs, but it's still pretty good. It took some time to grow on me, but when it did, I actually think it's a pretty good Green Day song. I also really like the transition from the ending of this song into Longview. Great song but not as good as some of the others on the album. 8/10.

4. Longview

Here we get our first great. I absolutely love this song. I love the beat, the drums, the vocals, everything. Come on, who's never felt like this before? It's kind of relatable and I like the vulgar, sometimes self-hating lyrics in this song. A great song that has so much replay value and never gets old for me. Even though it's not really lyrically, it's a fun song. 11/10.

5. Welcome To Paradise

My personal all time favorite Green Day song. It was really hard choosing which is better; this song or Longview, but I finally chose Welcome To Paradise. Yes, I know this song is about the band getting kicked out of their mother's house and moving to a shitty house in Oakland, but they kind of felt like it was home despite being a generally shitty place to live. It's fantastic. It's fast, it's a bit chaotic, but oh so fucking good. Highly reccomend. If you like Green Day and haven't listened to this song, do it. Do it now. You won't regret it. 12/10

6. Pulling Teeth

It's a good song. It's one of the weaker ones though. It's a great song, just kind of forgettable. I'll give it a 8/10.

7. Basket Case

Here's the big hit from this album. It's a great song. While I don't like it as much as the others, it's a really good song, it's catchy, and it's what got me hooked on Green Day. Love this song. 9/10.

8. She

Love it. It's a great song that generally puts you in a good mood and for a love song, it's a damn good one. A great song and I kind of feel like i'm repeating now. 9/10

9. Sassafras Roots

One of my favorites from the album and extremely underrated. Another song that puts me in a good mood and I think it's just a really good song. 10/10.

10. When I Come Around

Another hit and one of the best songs from the album. It also puts me in a good mood and I really enjoy Billie Joe's vocals in this one and it's pretty damn catchy. 11/10.

11. Coming Clean

Underrated but kind of has a reason. It's a pretty forgettable song. It's good, but not super memorable. You see, near the end of the album, Green Day put these like 1 minute long songs. They're all good, but forgettable. 8/10.

12. Emenius Sleepus

It's a good song. But the most forgettable and in my opinion my least favorite song from the album. It's still a great song but as i've said before it's just really forgettable. 7/10.

13. In The End

6 years before Linkin Park and better.  My favorite out of the string of three like 1 minute songs and I just generally like it, but it's still pretty forgettable. 9/10

14. F.O.D. // All By Myself

After 3 kind of weak songs comes a great one. In F.O.D., I love Billie Joe's sort of confessional lyrics in the song, but I sort of wish it was all acoustic like Time Of Your Life from Nimrod, but that's a minor nitpick and still really like the song. It also has the album's secret song, All By Myself. It's a okay song. I don't really like Mike Dirnt's vocals, but whatever. 9/10 and a point taken off because of Mike Dirnt's vocals.

Final Grade: A+

Absolutely love this album and in my opinion a must listen for any Green Day fan. I can't say much else besides it's a completely fantastic album and I love it to death.

Have a good day, folks.