• Advertisement

OpenSSL "Heartbleed" Bug

Guest hilaryfan80

Guest hilaryfan80

For those who don't know what this is, it's a huge massive bug that was discovered on every website on the Internet that uses OpenSSL. Basically, if you went to a https:// website, you were using OpenSSL.

This bug did not just exploit SBC: it also exploited Yahoo and other website around the world. It's a huge deal!

The "Heartbleed" bug is an exploit that was found that allows an attacker to find out your password just by attacking it. The bug is so simple that someone had made a website that uses it and tells you if the website is exploited.

Note the "mbology" in it - this is a huge deal!

Z5CwdQX.png

In order to combat this, I made an emergency shutdown on SBC and upgraded the server as soon as I found out.

Now it's fixed. :D

hmR2iXY.png

I wanted to make a topic about this to warn everyone that if you used a password on SBC that you use for other important things (e.g. bank account), you may want to change your other accounts' passwords. SBC may not be as important, but if your password was compromised, then that can spell out trouble in other areas.

Thank you for reading this. :)

Guest hilaryfan80

Did it infect me?

There's no way of knowing. It could be on SBC, it could be on Facebook, it could be on a lot of other websites -- or you got lucky and it didn't do anything to you! Either way, I recommend changing the passwords of important websites. While you're at it, I highly recommend giving LastPass a go for your passwords. :) It lets you have complex, bulletproof passwords without you having to remember them and giving security to every website. It's amazing!