• Advertisement

I Open The Debate: Season 4 Is The GOAT Season

Young Nug

GOAT= Greatest of all Time

Think about it.

-Has the best animation of any Season of the entire show

-Began the "Friend Or Foe" arc with episodes like "New Leaf" and "Best Frenimies"

-Is the Post-Movie Season with the most Pre-Movie writers

-Contains amazing episodes like "Have You Seen This Snail?"

-Has several long strings of great episodes (one of the showest strongest and most consistent 6 episode runs from Fear Of A Krabby Patty-Skill Crane, Selling Out-Patrick SmartPants, etc.)

-SpongeBob's design was at it's best

-Humor and writing and characterization were a perfect blend of later Post-Movie and Pre-Movie

Season 4 is honestly starting to become one of the, if not the best Season in my eyes. Do you think so as well, or do you think Nuggets is insane? It's got some bad episodes, true, but the good ones more than make up for them in my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • God Himself 1

I agree with your points, but I am still partial to Season 2 and 3. Those seasons had smarter, more enjoyable moments and humor overall. And animation isn't really a deciding factor for me on whether a show is good or not. But, like I said, I see what you mean, and I give you mad props for opening such a can of worms.

• Like 1

I don't think It's the greatest season ever or one of the best seasons but I love season 4 too. The animation of this season is the one of best animation in this show in my opinion (It's not the best animation in my opinion, that honor goes to season 9), this season is a mix of pre-movie and post-season 5, the humor is good, all main characters except Patrick (because of Good Neighbors, Patrick SmartPants, Rule of Dumb, Driven to Tears) are likeable. This season has some of my favorite post-movie episodes like Skill Crane, Have You Seen This Snail, Wishing You Well, Krusty Towers, Mrs. Puff You're Fired, Whale of a Birthday and The Pink Purloiner, along with great ones like Fear of a Krabby Patty, The Lost Matress, MMBB IV, Chimps Ahoy, Once Bitten, Best Frenemies and Best Dat Ever. Although there are a few bad episodes like The Thing, Karate Island, All That Glitters and two meh episodes (Funny Pants and Enemy-In Law) but overall, this season is great. I rated this season 8/10. By the way, I don't really know when the second half of season starts. Does It start after Chimps Ahoy/Ghost Host or Karate Island/Whale of a Birthday?

I agree on season 4 being the perfect mix of pre- and post-movie writing/humor/animation/plots. In fact, season 4 is actually kinda like season 3 IMO. It has mostly the same humor, only the writers of season 4 liked to focus more on the story (Although I find it more creative to do a whole episode about selling chocolate than writing an entire drama about SpongeBob losing his spatula).

• Like 3

I actually thought some of the animation in Season 4 was subpar like in Ghost Host, Chimps Ahoy, Karate Island to name a few. Like some of the characters created primarily for those select episodes felt off in animation compared to the regular characters.

I do commend some of the Season 4 episodes for having great animation, but for a brief stretch of Season 4, the animation did not work for me.

• Funny 1

If you want me to be honest, I prefer the first half of Season 4 over the second half of Season 3. I just feel like it's more consistent in quality, although Season 3 without a doubt has some of the more memorable episodes.

I like season 4, but I don't think it's the best season in the show.

To be honest, for me personally, perfect season of SpongeBob doesn't exist. All seasons has some flaws. Season 4 has considerably more flaws than any pre-movie season, so I don't agree. While I don't like second half of s3 as much as the first half, it have only couple of episodes I really don't like, while second half of s4 has them in spades. 

I'd argue that good episodes of s5 is better than s3 and s4 combined, but this kind of off-topic.