• Advertisement

Should special episodes be trusted anymore?

101 Dalmatian Street

Hello Bikini Bottom:

"Eh, Spongebob annoying Squidward as always."

"Oh god, I should've known it was a musical."

"They have to buy the Krusty Krab back? This could get interesting."

"Jeez, that one guy is too much of a jerk for me to comprehend."

"Eh, alright finishing song."

"WHAT?! THEY SCRAPPED EVERYTHING FOR THAT?!"

Hello Bikini Bottom:

"Eh, Spongebob annoying Squidward as always."

"Oh god, I should've known it was a musical."

"They have to buy the Krusty Krab back? This could get interesting."

"Jeez, that one guy is too much of a jerk for me to comprehend."

"Eh, alright finishing song."

"WHAT?! THEY SCRAPPED EVERYTHING FOR THAT?!"

*My interpretations of the usual critcism aside.*

But, to give you credit, I guess Hello Bikini Bottom could be another example.

That's why I really never hype up too much for specials. They're usually let downs and overhyped. I actually enjoyed the latest special and somehow didn't consider it filler. Of course the ending was really rushed and they really should have had more Krabs/Squidward backstory. At least in Born Again Krabs where Mr. Krabs sold SB's soul for 62 cents, he realized the error of his way. Sure he wanted SB in the ending, but did we get to see Mr. Krabs wish for his son/Frycook back? Nope.

• Like 1

So, in this thread, this is where I question the value of these "special episodes" and if we should expect something good for any other specials in the future, like "It Came From Goo Lagoon." 

Spoiler

Don't get your hopes up too much for It Came From Goo Lagoon, that's all I'll say regarding that special until it airs.

Anyways, that depends on what you mean by trusting them. I don't trust the hype for them, that's for sure. I judge the episodes on actual quality, not hype. I never fall for any hype Nickelodeon tries to deceive the viewers with, that's pretty much expected by Nick now since SpongeBob is their cash cow. 

• Like 1

Eeyeah, I'm with the popular opinion that special episodes of Spongebob are generally disappointing and not that great because of the hype they don't live up to, but hey, Nick needs to make their buck. I stopped watching them after Spongebob's Last Stand (actually a neat episode) though.

While you guys are pointing out all of the more likely to be disliked specials, you've left out a couple on your Steel summarized (or Steel parody summarized) reviews:

-Christmas Who (the original SB special)

-SpongeBob's House Party/Party Pooper Pants

-Dunces and Dragons

-Where's Gary?

-It's a SpongeBob Christmas

Yeah more often than not SpongeBob specials disappoint, but you guys have to remember that there are occasions where a SpongeBob special lives up to "special" expectations. That's why I'm not giving up hope on SpongeBob specials just yet despite the shaky track record lately.

The solution to this is to just go into every episode with moderate expectations. A special doesn't imply a "special" episode, simply an episode that needed more time to be told. A perfect example is "SpongeBob, You're Fired!". There's nothing special about this episode in the least- It most likely started out as an 11 minute episode that went too long and had to become a special. The writers probably found that the plot actually didn't have a lot of substance so they padded it out with the same gag four times. 

Specials should only be specials if the story absolutely needs 22 minutes, a la Dunces And Dragons. If you're going to stay in Bikini Bottom and not introduce any new characters, or it doesn't focus around a holiday, it doesn't need to be a special. If it doesn't have those factors, I'm not hyped. If you stay in Bikini Bottom and don't introduce any new characters, most episodes do that normally. The only notable episodes that do what a good special does are Rock Bottom and Glove World episodes. The only specials that had no right to be good have been Truth Or Square and maybe PPP and Sponge Who Could Fly? Specials generally need to be more ambitious to be good.

No ambition = No hype

• Like 1

or it doesn't focus around a holiday, 

To be honest, is it really necessary for holiday episodes to be 22 minutes? Scaredy Pants did fine, and it was more connected to Halloween than say, Ghoul Fools. Like you said, only episodes that need to be 22 minutes should get the privilege.