• Advertisement

Characters: What needs improvement and what has improved- A Case Study

E.V.I.L.

Okay, I'll try to be as official as possible, but it's gonna be hard.

Anyways, let's start with SpongeBob, shall we!

His perks: His happy personality, his adorableness, his enthusiasm

His happy personality: Okay, he cries a lot. But honestly, unlike Squidward, his annoying (well sometimes annoying) crying is used for laughs, and can even be pulled off well. (A Day Without Tears)  However, let's not forget all the happy things he does for everyone, how he manages to stay somewhat happy during GONE, how he always looks at the positive side, how he goes out of his way to make things better, etc. We as average humans could learn from him, and I think these qualities stayed with him all these years. There were indeed some episodes where he was REALLY OOC, but overall, he's retained

this in post-movie.

His enthusiasm: He has his very rare moments where he gives up, but honestly, I NEVER see this guy give up. For example, in the movie, when he was dying for gods sake, he was instead celebrating on how he made it, rather than dwelling on how he didn't save Mr. Krabs. Another thing humans, and especially my father, could use from this wonderful yellow guy. This is basically what has been said in his happy personality though, so moving on. tongue.png

His adorableness: I don't care if "Adorableness: is not a word, sorry HPL. But seriously, I HATE hugs, yet I want to just give SpongeBob the biggest hug sometimes! Whether it's baby him, or it's him doing his regular antics, or simply running around, or taking his drivers test, he is just downright adorable. He always brings a smile to my face both from how happy he is and how cute he is.

His quirks: Whiny, Obsessive 

His whining: Unlike the show's start where he just went aw man, it seems now he cries like a baby. See, the crying can actually be pulled off well when it's meant to be a part of the plot (A Day Without Tears), but him crying over stubbing his toenail, being stuck in a wringer, or being fired is annoying. Okay, well, being fired justifies him crying, but not the WAY and INTENT of his crying. I truly think if SpongeBob has an actual reason to cry, it shouldn't have any APM music, it should be a sullen and dark environment, and it SHOULD NOT be used to play for laughs. If they could just get rid of that, it's enough to improve his character by a lot.

His obsessive qualities: Best shown in Squid's Visit, SpongeBob doesn't know when to stop with the obsessiveness and love of something. This is probably the one that I mind the least, but it still can be bad. SpongeBob is childlike, but he can handle a temporary loss. If SpongeBob loses a best friend, it should be about SpongeBob trying to cope with it, not of SpongeBob crying about it all day. If SpongeBob loses his job, he should stay strong and try to find another one, not cry when he fails. However, thankfully this part is already starting to improve; an episode like this hasn't been seen for a while. smile.png

________

My overall thoughts on SB: I'm not going to lie, just a year ago, I HATED SpongeBob himself. I was sick of seeing him all over the show. While I still keep my idea of having a few episodes with no SpongeBob, there's a lot I've grown to like about him. When I looked past my "blah blah he's annoying as crap" attitude, I realized that he's a wondeful, jolly, cute little being that can just lift my bad mood like that. I absolutely, unlike FOX News, parents, and those homophobic dastards, love SpongeBob and think he's a wonderful role model. Yes he's a crybaby, but no one is perfect. He's enthusiastic, happy, kind, and manages to be loveable (to people who don't go out of their way to hate him anyways). I think humanity could honestly learn from him. But for now, that's all I have to say about SpongeBob. Stay tuned for Patrick! biggrin.png

• Like 9

SpongeBob's childlike personality makes it so that even the littlest of problems could bug him. Even though sometimes this can be done to an extreme, SpongeBob can still stay true to his (square) roots. Which is, being his positive self. I like what you said Omair, it's true nobody is perfect. Not even this little yellow guy.

My biggest problem with SpongeBob has always been his obsessive personality. His obsessive side when it comes to Squidward, has never been funny. It's disturbing and a turn off.

My biggest problem with SpongeBob has always been his obsessive personality. His obsessive side when it comes to Squidward, has never been funny. It's disturbing and a turn off.

His obsessive side is actually pretty funny when he isn't being creepy about it. Wet Painters is a perfect example of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They should bring Derek Drymon back, the characteres are looking ugly under Vincent Wallers supervising....

Derek Drymon actually is working fabulously on the SpongeBob Comics as of late. But yeah, I'd love him to come back to the series.