• Advertisement

Wumbo's Somewhat Informed Opinions on Music

Wumbo

Day late, dollar short. Oh well.

Here's to Never Growing Up - Avril Lavigne

Okay, this is the song. I am now officially finished with Avril Lavigne after this song.

I mean, usually when artists are popular for 10+ years, they somewhat evolve lyrically. Not Avril! She's 28 and she's still singing about the same crap. I mean, I liked it when she was 16, because it fit the "rebellious teenager" shtick and it didn't look horribly desperate. Guess what? It's starting to look horribly desperate, especially since the pop punk era is long gone and Avril appears to be trying to take a page musically from fun. or something, with those pounding drums. It all comes off as very awkward. Give me 2002-2005 Avril Lavigne, and I'm happy. Give me this, and you have one unhappy camper.

4/10

Bad - Wale ft. Tiara Thomas

I must say, I'm impressed with the turn popular rap is taking these days. Macklemore's topping the charts, and songs like this gain some ground on Billboard as well. And Lil Wayne? Scarce. It's like the music gods are answering my prayers.

So, in case you haven't gathered, this is a great song about a bad romance. It's well put together, and both artists deliver, especially Tiara, whose performance is chilling. I'd like to see a lot more rap songs like this become popular, let me tells ya.

8.5/10

Love Somebody - Maroon 5

Like I said in an earlier review of a Maroon 5 song, Maroon 5 have managed to change their sound drastically, yet still sound strangely similar to their original selves. I think a lot of it has to do with Adam Levine's singing voice. You can try to change your sound all you like, but as long as you have as distinct a voice as Adam's fronting you, it's still gonna sound the same. It's like if Nickelback changed their sound to a more pop-sounding tune, Chad Kroeger would still overrule the changes and have it sound like quintessential Nickelback.

Anyway, this song's pretty okay. I can't really find anything wrong with it, but it's definitely not a bad song. I have it on my iPod, and listen to it willingly. So it does do some things right, just not enough for me to really like the song.

7.5/10

Crash My Party - Luke Bryan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaeiunBFjXU

I feel like either country music is getting better, or my tolerance for it is just building up. Either way, I like this song well enough. It actually reminds me a lot of

by Kenny Chesney, another country song I liked. So what's in this song that I like. Well, it's got some really sweet lyrics. There are two kinds of country I really like: the
kind, and then there's the sentimental stuff that strikes a chord with me for some reason. This is of the latter variety. It's kind of like a counry ballad. I have a soft spot for ballads. I think they're a great way to convey emotion in a song, even if it's in the most over-the-top, cheesiest way possible. But this song isn't even cheesy. It's jsut got really nice lyrics and instrumentation (particularly love the piano).

9/10

I Want Crazy - Hunter Hayes

So some people on YouTube have been comparing this guy to a country version of Justin Bieber. First off, I couldn't think of a worse insult. Second, this guy's actually pretty good. My problem I had with a lot of country songs I reviewed in yesteryear is that they bored me. This doesn't bore me. It's catchy, upbeat, and sincere. Bieber's songs are sometimes catchy and upbeat, but he always misses the third criterion. So no, Hunter Hayes is not like Justin Bieber. He actually has potential as a true artist. I don't really remember liking his first single, but this is a good song.

8/10

Bonus: In The End - Linkin Park

What does it start with?

I'm going to start this review here: I absolutely love Linkin Park's videos. They just get so into their music, it's almost comical. But do they hold up as a band?

Well, I like them. And I guess I can kind of see why some people don't; Chester's voice can get grating at times. But they always have good lyrics and good music for me. This song kind of speaks out to the misunderstood kids who get picked on, which is the rough idea of many of their earlier songs. I think it will always have an audience, though. There's always gonna be that one kid that feels misunderstood. And if Linkin Park is what they listen to to fuel their angst, so be it. In the meantime, Linkin Park is a great band to listen to even if you aren't a misunderstood kid. We all have these moments in our lives, and I think Linkin Park is a band many can identify with at some point.

10/10

Same Love - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Mary Lambert

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can hate Macklemore.

I mean, holy shit. This is a rap song in favour of gay rights. This is friggin' revolutionary. And Macklemore knows it too.

If I was gay, I would think hip-hop hates me
Have you read the YouTube comments lately?

Look, let's not dance around the subject. Hip hop can be a pretty homophobic place in music. Even one of my favourite rap songs has some questionable lyrics regarding homosexuality. So it's so refreshing to see a rapper not afraid to tackle this huge subject with clever rhymes, great flow, and a beautiful guest vocalist. This and "Can't Hold Us" pretty much prove that Macklemore is not a novelty act. I actually picked up The Heist recently, and it's a fantastic album. Check it out when you have the chance.

10/10

Counting Stars - OneRepublic

I remember when I gave a less than stellar review of "Feel Again", which was OneRepublic's first single from their album Native. I've since sobered up and learned to love the song, and I've also loved every single... well, single to come off of this album thus far. This one is no exception. In fact, I think I've found my new favourite OneRepublic song. It's taking the most risks with Ryan Tedder's voice, I find. By the way, this guy has soul in his voice.

This song is just so fun to listen to. Upbeat, makes me want to clap and/or sing along. It's looking to be a good week.

10/10

U.O.E.N.O. - Rocko ft. Future and Rick Ross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPHrIflaa0I

Um, spoke too soon?

So, what the hell does U.O.E.N.O. stand for? Well... it's not really an acronym for anything, if that's what you mean. It's supposed to stand for "You don't even know". It's like... have you ever played Mad Gab? It's a game where you say words that seem unrelated until you slur them in such a way that it sounds like something else. Like, "Tan Queue Fair Ream Hutch" becomes "Thank you very much". Which is about the exact opposite of what I want to say to the people who made this.

There's a style of rapping out there now that I just refer to as "drunk rap" or "blah rap". Drake is a perfect example. When he raps, there's not a single intonation in his voice that makes me think he actually cares about or even believes what he's saying. He just slurs through the song to get his next paycheque. "Stalifruddabattanowe-eer" is really "Started from the bottom, now we here."

I feel like just the title of this song and what it means is enough to put it in this category, but fair person that I am, I actually listened to it.

...Yeah, it deserves to be here. I mean, they're not as soulless as Drake, but it's not exciting or pleasing to the ear at all. Next!

3/10

Gone, Gone, Gone - Phillip Phillips

All right, I like Phillip Phillips. I feel sorry for him because his parents named him that, and I definitely get the criticism that he sounds too much like Mumford & Sons. But you know what? I'll take a good band soundalike over 20 rappers that all sound the same. Contrary to the previous song, Phillips at least sounds genuine in his singing. I don't think the song is special or anything. I prefer "Home" to this, which had a more definitive singalong moment that fit the poppy tune. This is a little harder to sing along to, and the trumpet at the end is out of place, but I still like it.

8/10

No New Friends (SFTB Remix) - DJ KHALED ft. Drake, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9OWiH9XtV4

Yeah I stay down with my day one n****s and we in the club screaming
No new friends, no new friends, no new friends, no, no new

...That's what you're screaming? Okay, whatever.

You know, gratuitous use of the N-word aside (you can't think of a better word to describe your friends? Once is fine, but every line? Christ), the song isn't that bad. It's a nice tribute to Drake, Rick Ross and Lil Wayne's friends that have been there for them since day one. Let's look at the rappers one by one:

Drake:

Money counter go burrr, when you sellin' out the Garden

Sorry, money counter go what?

Money counter go burrr

Anything else, Drake?

Birdman go brrr cause he know this shit retarded

You know what? Why am I even surprised. Even Drake's "best" songs have moronic, inane lyrics like this in them. And really, I'm doing these lyrics justice by just printing them in words. You really have to listen to the song to understand how stupid it sounds. I thought it was something bleeped out at first, until I realized I heard the N-word 10 times beforehand. As usual, Drake brings down the track the most, and they give him the most time on it. *sigh*

Okay, Rick Ross:

Well, his stuff is pretty easy to understand. Rick and his... friends go out to strip clubs every night. Normally I denounce this stuff for being shallow, but Rick seems genuinely appreciative of his life and his... friends. I give him a pass.

Finally, Lil Wayne:

I'll admit that I don't really understand much of Lil Wayne's stuff here.

Ugh, I'm here with my n****s, I'm too high to be friendly
They throw dirt on my name, well that's why they still dig me

...Who throws dirt on your name? Your friends? Why? Are they "too high to be friendly" as well?

Anyway, it goes on kind of like that. But through discerning what he's saying, I do get a sense of gratitude for his friends. He's also (surprisingly) the one guy on the track who comes up with another name for his friends than the N-word. Credit given, Lil Wayne. Credit given.

Overall, decent track brought down by some weird and repetitive lyrics, but saves itself with some genuine feelings of gratitude from all three rappers. Not perfect, but a lot better than I was expecting.

6/10

Bonus: In The End - Linkin Park

What does it start with?

I'm going to start this review here: I absolutely love Linkin Park's videos. They just get so into their music, it's almost comical. But do they hold up as a band?

Well, I like them. And I guess I can kind of see why some people don't; Chester's voice can get grating at times. But they always have good lyrics and good music for me. This song kind of speaks out to the misunderstood kids who get picked on, which is the rough idea of many of their earlier songs. I think it will always have an audience, though. There's always gonna be that one kid that feels misunderstood. And if Linkin Park is what they listen to to fuel their angst, so be it. In the meantime, Linkin Park is a great band to listen to even if you aren't a misunderstood kid. We all have these moments in our lives, and I think Linkin Park is a band many can identify with at some point.

10/10

No Wumbo Linkin Park doesn't deserve 10/10

Safe and Sound - Capital Cities

I'll be completely honest here: This song doesn't do much for me at all.

I mean, it's okay. There's nothing really wrong with it. But I can't find anything interesting about nit, either. It's just... there.

There's only one part of the song that's even remotely interesting; that of the small breakdown around the two-minute mark. Hell, it's the only time in the song where it actually varies. Everything else is just the same thing over and over. Offering nothing new, no surprises, just the same music and lyrics growing increasingly stale. This song might be best-played in a 30-second commercial, but nearly 4 minutes of the same thing is too much. It's not a bad song, but it gets boring.

6.5/10

Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe - Kendrick Lamar

I... I just don't like Kendrick Lamar. I'm sorry. I know, he's critically acclaimed. He's the next big thing. He's... got a really annoying voice. I hear a nasal "Bitch, don't kill my vibe" and it just turns me off right away.

The lyrics are good, I guess. Certainly more substance than a lot of things I hear from rap music these days. And the lyrics are kind of what's keeping me from rating this lowly. I have a petty reason to not really like the song, I know, but I'm just not fond of Lamar's voice. That's all. I don't know, maybe it would sound better coming from someone else. Sorry.

6/10

Body Party - Ciara

Well... that was actually kind of awkward. Yes, I think awkward is the best word to describe that song.

I think what the song was going for was a simple "let's have sex" song, and it is pretty simple. My body's your party, your body's my party, yada yada yada, I'm really tired today.

But some of the background vocals really turn off the sexy vibe for me. There's the "ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh" which sounds more like a monkey than anything sexy. Then  there's this "you" echo which sounds like it belongs in some deep rap song about drugs and shit, not this.

Ciara's voice... while it gets the job done at points, there are points where it sounds like she's on helium, and it just kind of destroys the mood. The whole thing just seems messily put together, I mean, this lyric:

Baby put your phone down, you should turn it off

This doesn't sound like it's shaping up to be very romantic, sad to say. Here's what precedes it:

My body is your party, baby
Nobody's invited but you baby
I can do it slow now, tell me what you want

"Baby... have sex with me... please? I'll do whatever you want... turn your damn phone off, I'm trying to seduce you!"

Yeeeaaah. It's kind of amazing how one line can change the entire mood of a song.

We in the zone now, don't stop

As long as that zone has wi-fi, I guess.

I don't know. It's a good attempt, but very little of it pays off.

6/10

Sail - AWOLNATION

This song seems really dark to me, and I'm not sure if I like it or not. It's really weird, but also conveys this passionately angry mood well. Of course, all is lost when you see the video, which is bizarre in its own right. So I'm not entirely sure what the message is here. Is it an A.D.D. PSA? Is it just the crippled story of a broken man? Hell if I know. But do I like the song? Well, it's different, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I really like it, but I don't dislike it. It's somewhat interesting, even if it's repetitive.

7/10 

Runnin' Outta Moonlight - Randy Houser

I think I may start to become a country fan eventually, if the lyrics continue to be like this. I mean, they're not amazing poetry, but it's a nice little love song. Hey, at least I totally get what mood this song is supposed to convey: a wonderful night out. Simple, yet effective. I don't know whether it says more about my growing taste for country music or the music of todayu, but this is the best song I've reviewed this week.

8/10

Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe - Kendrick Lamar

I... I just don't like Kendrick Lamar. I'm sorry. I know, he's critically acclaimed. He's the next big thing. He's... got a really annoying voice. I hear a nasal "Bitch, don't kill my vibe" and it just turns me off right away.

The lyrics are good, I guess. Certainly more substance than a lot of things I hear from rap music these days. And the lyrics are kind of what's keeping me from rating this lowly. I have a petty reason to not really like the song, I know, but I'm just not fond of Lamar's voice. That's all. I don't know, maybe it would sound better coming from someone else. Sorry.

6/10

His voice does get a bit annoying but Eazy-E didn't have the most perfect voice (ok I love his voice but at a critical standpoint that is).

His voice does get a bit annoying but Eazy-E didn't have the most perfect voice (ok I love his voice but at a critical standpoint that is).

I actually like Eazy-E's voice too. He had sort of an edge to his rapping style, IMO. Kendrick Lamar... he just sounds kind of boring to me. Not Drake-level boring, but kind of up there.

Are you...not...down with the clown? :P

This clown is down.

Rich as Fuck - Lil Wayne ft. 2 Chainz

Here's my problem with this song: for every time Lil Wayne spouts a semi-clever lyric, there's a time where he says pretty much the stupidest thing ever.

Never talk to the cops, I don't speak pig Latin

Okay, sorry to all police officers, but this is funny as hell.

Tell the bitches that be hating I ain't got no worries
I just wanna hit and run like I ain't got insurances

You... want to kill people with your car? Because you're rich as fuck?

Another thing with Lil Wayne is that he goes for the simile trope too often.

She get on that dick and stay on, all night like porch lights

Bitch n****s go behind yo back like nun-chucks

I'm killing these hoes like Michael Myers

I eat that cat just like a lion

...wait, what does that last one even mean? Are lions cannibalistic?

You see my dilemma. I won't lie, the beat's pretty cool and Lil Wayne at least has some flow at parts. But it just comes down to another bragging song, and most of these lyrics can be easily replaced with most of his lyrics from most of his other songs. Good job giving 2 Chainz as little time as possible, though.

6.5/10

Don't Ya - Brett Eldredge

Girl you cut those jeans just right

Good lord. I don't think I've heard a funnier opening lyric since Theory of a Deadman graced us with this gem:

SOOOO SICK OF THE HOBOOOOOS... ALWAYS BEGGIN' FOR CHAAANGE...

Buuut back to this song. It's... okay, I guess? Some parts come off as a little creepy.

Like there ain't nobody watchin'
But girl you know I'm watchin'

But the whole song is just... eh. It's just a horny guy anthem, much like "Baby Got Back" without the intentional goofiness. With the melody, it tries to pass itself off as something more serious, but it's really not. He wants to get in your pants, girl. It doesn't go farther than that. Thus, I shall continue no farther with this review.

5/10

DONE. - The Band Perry (when did 15-year-old girls on Facebook start coming up with song titles?)

I'm gonna be honest. I almost want to hate this song solely based on the title.

But fuck it, this song rocks and rolls. Almost enough to warrant the all-caps. Almost. Maybe I should be blaming the teenage drama queens on Facebook for giving this title its awful connotation okay enough with the title seriously it's just a title.

Yeah, I love this. Such energy and anger, much like Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats", only even more so! Ladies of country, keep making angry "my ex-boyfriend's a dick" songs. They make for good music... unless you're Taylor Swift, in which case just stop. I'm done with her. DONE.

Around the three-minute mark, there's an unsatisfied groan (my, that came out more sexual than I intended) that pretty much sums up the whole tone of this song. Kimberly Perry don't want yo shit no more, son. She's DONE.

9.5/10

Is That You - Insane Clown Posse ft. Kid Rock

I hope nobody mistook my ICP avatar to mean that I liked them. And Kid Rock?... yeah, he used to be a rapper. A good one? Well, let's see.

Skinny dipping in the pool, you know I drown hoes
Fuck them doggie style and play that ass like a bongo

I... sincerely hope the drowning thing is metaphorical.

The whole song is just... icky. Much like everyone involved with it. It's a bunch of weird metaphors for sex that even Lil Wayne would frown upon. The beat is kind of interesting, giving me a "Straight Outta Compton" vibe. But that's about all that's redeemable to come out of this.

3/10

Railgun - Konec ft. xKore

Did I mention that I'm not an expert on electronic music?

Well, here's how I would describe this anyway: Skrillex Lite. And that's really not a bad thing on any account. I like my harsher-sounding dance music where it's due, but Skrillex is just too harsh, sounding like robots puking all over the place. This actually sounds like it was meant to sound good, and I can dig it. It's not really anything amazing to me, but it's good.

7.5/10

I used to be annoyed by ICP (mostly because of juggalos), but, once I started listening to 'em, they're not half bad. Sure, their lyrics are pretty juvenile and disgusting and offensive, but that's the kinda attitude I can get behind in muzak! I love the beats, too.

As for Kid Rock...his rap-rock stuff is a guilty pleasure for me. Then "All Summer Long"...no.

• Like 1