• Advertisement

Wild Mass Guessing

TJ

WMG refers to Wild Mass Guessing (I made it up) where I attempt to find a song that matches a character, couple, or show.

Today's WMG: "The Fame" (song) by Lady Gaga is a satire of Lighning McQueen:

The debut album of Lady Gaga has a recurring theme of the desire to become famous, and the most conspicuous example of this is the titular song. At the beginning of "Cars", Lightning is a "hotshot rookie race car" whose goal is to be the first rookie to win the piston cup, AND to impress the people at DINOCO in hopes of taking over The King as the spokesperson. (I had a lot of different contenders for this, since a lot of the songs dealt with "Fame", but I somehow managed to narrow it down.) The 1st person verses are from the protagonist's POV, and the first few lines are, like I said, a satire or parody of how he's self-absorbed and obsessed with "a life of material". The second verse begins with "I can see myself in the movies with my picture in city lights." This refers to how Lightning fantasizes about getting an endorsment from DINOCO and how it would make him even MORE famous than he already is. "Dont' ask me how or why, But I'm gonna make it happen this time" alluding to the Piston Cup race, and how he's determined to win. (actually, this could apply to pretty much ANY race he's been in)

Its not a game guys.

Todays WMG: "Telephone" is based on "Ratatouille"

I always assumed that "Telephone" could also be a metaphor for your concience in the song. In this case, the conscience (or simlpy the voice in the head is Remy the rat, who hides inside Liguini's hat as together they become the most popular chef at Gusteau's. As time goes on, Linguini sort of forgets to listen to Remy or even pay attention to him as fame gets to his head (even though that's because of REMY himself). So the song is him telling Remy that he's sick of Remy "controlling" him, and... well, I can't really go into this anymore without making him sound like a jerkwad (which he's not). Linguini starts getting caught up in his own personal life and forgetting his duties ("I'm kinda busy"/"I don't wanna think anymore"/etc.) Of course that's not to say that Linguini didn't ever appreciate him, and he let's Remy know that. ("Not that I don't like you, I'm just at a party..") So, in a nutshell, this is probably Gaga's take on Remy and Linguini's fallout near the end, if that makes any sense. :!

Today's WMG: "LoveGame" is an R-rated take on Buzz and Jessie's relationship

Don't give me that look.

Okay, maybe that's looking a bit TOO much into this, but I'm gonna share anyway.

So, I think we can all agree that Jessie is the more outgoing of the two, and therefore the most likely to, um,begin a playdate. This song is all about that (I'm not sure how much info Gaga could have taken from those last few minutes of TS2, but we can all make our assuptions). "I wanna kiss you/ But if I do then I might miss you, babe" is talking about how she wants a connection with Buzz, but is afraid he'll be too shy or stubborn and reject the offer (Remember; Buzz wasn't all that open about his feeling until he was reset to Spanish mode). "It's complicated and stupid"- Jessie herself is confused about these new sexual feelings and trying to sort things out and figure out what she wants. The "Stupid" part comes in because there's really no good reason for toys to have sex with each other, except maybe for the pleasure of it. "Guess he wants to play, wants to play, a love game, a love game"- double entandre; Andy could make the two play damsel and hero all he wants, but it will be years after he stops playing with them that there's ANOTHER kind of "love game"- one that certain toysplay themselves when no one looks... "Hold me and love me/Just wanna touch you for a minute/ Maybe three seconds is enough for my heart to quit it" meaning that Jessie is still new to these feelings, and wants to experience them, and is not sure how long it would take before her heart calms down from the excitement. "You've indicated your interest"- it's made quite clear that Buzz likes Jessie, even if he doesn't outright say it. Heck his "disco stick" wings popped up when he saw her on the race car track!

"I'm educated in sex, yes/ And now I want it bad..." this is probably stretching it a little, but we never know. Jessie presumebly spent a good chunk of her former owner's adolecent years under the bed and unplayed with, right? So in order to keep up with her loved one's life (and maybe to pass time) Jessie would occasionally peep into Emily's diary and see what she doing that pulled her awat from playtime. Aside from friends, hobbies, music, etc., Emily most likely wrote about boys that she liked and the whatnot, and poured out the emotions in the diary. As she grew older and more mature, the entries became more PG-13 and R-rated as she talked about sex and "Love" and rumors of people sleeping together... Jessie must have gained a LOT of knowledge in what this "thing" was that Emily (and other girls her age, presumably) was so interested in. Naturally, Jessie herself didn't know what exactly "it" was or why it was such a big deal... until she met Buzz. Ah, the power of love.

Anywho, "The story of us/ It always starts the same/ with a boyand a girl and a (huh!) and a game!" is not really talking about them personally, but the playtimes that Andy would stage They usually involved al of the toy's participation, Bo Peep being the damsel in distress, (and maybe even Jessie on occasion, we'll never know) and Woody and Buzz being the heroes. The "us", then, refering to all of Andy's toys as a whole. This probably make the second part of the bridge the most "innocent" part of the entire song.

So, um, aside from the sex obsession, Jessie DOES love buzz on an emotional level as well; she's not a s*** or anything, just so we're clear.

Of course then you apply all of this to the fact that Jessie now knows about Buzz's "Spanish Mode" (which makes him more romantic) in the second movie and you realize not only can any of the above be considered canon, it could lead to some Nightmare Fuel/Fridge Horror...