• Advertisement

Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated Announced

Jjs Goodman

Since it's been a long while since we had any news about this, here is an interview I found with Martin Kreuch, a producer at THQ Nordic, about Rehydrated:

https://jackofallcontrollers.com/2020/02/18/interview-thq-nordic-talks-spongebob-squarepants-battle-for-bikini-bottom-rehydrated/

Still no release date, but here's a few interesting tidbits of note from it:

Question: Is there any additional or added references/events related to newer episodes or is the game sticking strictly to its original core?

Answer: Mainly we focused on faithfully recreating the original game. However, there are small details like the Police Station or other buildings, and also SpongeBob’s shape and color that have changed slightly since season 2 (which the original game was based on).

Here and there we do hide little references to everybody’s favorite newer episodes, but those are more along the lines of Easter eggs.

Question: Cut content from the original game is making a comeback, how challenging was it to make that a reality?

Answer: It was rather an opportunity than a challenge, as we were given the chance to make an outstanding game even better and give the fans new and exciting content. Of course for some of the content the reference material was only vague, but this also gave the team the opportunity to show their unique vision.

Question: How much of the original game material did you have to work with when creating the remake?

Answer: We had the blockouts of the original levels and of all characters, all the audio materials and of course the knowledge of the community of the original game, particularly the speedrunner community.

Question: Did Hillenburg’s death make any aspect of the remake more challenging?

Answer: As fans of the series, we were all deeply saddened to see a great artist who brought so much joy to so many people around the world go before his time. We thrive to let his message of positivity and child-like wonder guide us, as we create the game.

Question: Will any other Spongebob game get the remake treatment?

Answer: You never know! We have nothing to announce at the moment.

• Like 1

So...judging by the soundbyte at the end I guess they didn't opt to have Clancy Brown record Mr. Krabs' lines for the remaster? That's...kind of a bummer, to be honest, but I'm not surprised. I suppose for nostalgic purposes leaving it intact is also more effective I guess to preserve as much of the original game in this remaster as possible.

BUZZING for this game!!!

Was one of the only ones I never played as a kid (actually I think I had that crap PC version lmao) and it comes out a few days before my birthday. Turning 23 with a SpongeBob game as a present... a dream. I don't know whether to get it on Switch for portability or PS4 for a (hopefully) easy platinum tho

• Hug 1