• Advertisement

214b. Out of the Picture

Jjs Goodman

Rating  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Paintings: Who wants the autograph of a real artist?
    • 4/5 Paintings: Witness the beauty!
    • 3/5 Paintings: I don't waste my money on "nice"!
    • 2/5 Paintings: Squidward is scaring me customers away!
    • 1/5 Paintings: I'm shutting this thing down right now!

(No promo image available at this time)

Premieres: 

Saturday, June 17th @ 10:15am ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, June 17th @ 4:45pm ET/PT

Sunday, June 18th @ 8:45am ET/PT

Saturday, June 24th @ 9:45am ET/PT

Plot:

Mr. Krabs buys Squidward's art, but to make a profit on his purchase he will have to get the artist out of the picture.

Clips:

N/A

Edited by Austin Layers

I really liked this episode. Squidward's artwork was pretty funny to look at. I could be wrong but I thought I saw old Bold 'n Brash in there. I'm also surprised that Squidward was happy to accept a handful of change as payment, but he was probably glad he sold it for anything. The best part of the episode for me was seeing Rock Bottom again and I was glad to see that the residents there still remember SpongeBob. It was also entertaining to see that between Squidward and Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob was the sane man among them, which is saying a lot.

Surprisingly enjoyed this one. I will admit Mr. Krabs may have been a jerk, and yeah, it was ridiculous he went as far as he did to get Squidward away, but it was done in such a comedic over the top way that I found it kind of amusing. Also, he got his just desserts in the end at least, and SpongeBob knew how crazy Krabs had gotten by the end with how he tried to save Squidward from his chase. The fact neither Squidward nor Krabs benefited from destroying the Krusty Krab put 'em on the same level by the end I feel. I also liked how SpongeBob generally did want to help Squidward, and didn't ruin his deliveries. Squidward's paintings were pretty amusing (like the sea bear one), and I would mind buying one or two. Only real criticism is that I feel the opening with the customers hating Squidward's art went on a bit too long for my tastes, and maybe they were a bit too harsh, but it was just done in an over the top way that it didn't bug me (like the one customer's head exploding upon seeing the painting was so wtf I lol'd). It was a pretty crazy episode at times (like Squidward going to freakin Mars), but it was a fair amount of craziness, nothing too fast or wild, and the pacing felt balanced enough for it to work.

Also, I really loved Rock Bottom's surprise appearance. I might be biased because that was one of my favorite Season 1 episodes, but it didn't feel forced and made sense with the plot of the episode (sending Squidward to a random place to get him faraway). I also liked how the same characters from the episode like the red anglerfish returned, and them being friends with SpongeBob was cool. I also think the arctic area Squidward and SpongeBob visited was the same tundra from Frozen Face-Off, but I might be wrong there.

Grade: B+

Edited by Austin Layers
  • Like 2

Liked the sea bear art. Spongebob actually doing things to save Squidward made up for Krabs' sudden blood lust. This was Squidward's first time down in Rock Bottom and it was neat to see him doing the tongue speak. Spongebob was scared of those creatures too at first, but it makes sense that after the glove balloon rescue he was able to extend them into his social circle. Art Appraiser wasn't too horrible of a character of the day. Keep up the adequate work, Gruber.

• Like 1

Another really good episode by Ben Gruber! :D His work on "Breadwinners" was...okay, at best. But it seems that Ben Gruber has REALLY been hitting his stride as a writer for this show! He writes for the characters, pretty much how they SHOULD be written, and doesn't make them go off the rails. I actually think Squidward has gotten BETTER as an artist; I probably would buy a couple of the BETTER pieces if they were real! :cool: Another random whale appeared in this episode, I wonder if HE was Pearl's real father?! o.o The fact stated by the Art Appraiser (art gets more valuable after the artist has died), is actually truth in television; art often DOES become more valuable once the artist is no longer alive to MAKE more art pieces! :rolleyes: I did NOT see the twist coming with the Art Appraiser

liking the Performance Art more than the ACTUAL artwork!

It's nice to see SPONGEBOB be the SANE man for a change, and the twist at the end was TOTALLY priceless! :hysterical: I'd give this episode a perfect 10/10! Enough said, true believers! ;)

This was pretty good. At times, it was a bit too insane, which is like my usual complaint with season 10 but I really enjoyed back and forth Mr. Krabs sending Squidward to different locations like Rock Bottom and Mars (I noticed how the rocket seemed so similar with the one in Sandy's Rocket, mostly inside) and everytime he came back, he didn't seem so angry or sad about it. Even his return from Mars, all he commented was it was disgusting but he came back to normal. I gotta say Squidward treatment here is handled well, except for the beginning, which was pretty annoying. He went over the top with destroying Krusty Krab but that's the prize you get when you become too violent. Mr. Krabs was a jerk here, no surprise but here, he's the villain and the episode didn't take itself too seriously with Mr. Krabs trying to murder Squidward. It's all played out like a Looney Tunes cartoon in an amusing way. I can't argue that Mr. Krabs was too flanderized but it worked for me here. I seriously loved how SpongeBob was helpful towards Squidward. Their dynamic wasn't that much in this episode but it still felt sweet like how they returned from Rock Bottom party with joy and he was on Squidward's side when Mr. Krabs went too crazy with the paintings. Mr. Krabs' and Squidward's punishment at the end was definitely hilarious. Overall, this was definitely one of the better episodes of this season.

Grade: B+

So... Krabs is greedy enough to kill Squidward (who is actually being pretty nice in this ep) in order to make money, cool. It would be nice if someone just sat down with him and explained that if he didn't put himself in all his paintings, more people would buy them. I liked the reappearance of Rock Bottom though and the other locations. At least the episode wasn't boring and for once was Squidward focused without him being an egotistical maniac. This ep was crazy enough that in some way I didn't mind Mr. Krabs's murderous tendencies as much as I might normally would.