• Advertisement

Nickelodeon (Discussion)

NegiSpongie

I know we have one for Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, and Nicktoons Network, but I looked and didn't find one for Nickelodeon (correct me if I'm wrong). So we can discuss the network here, the state it's in and whether we like it or not.

What shows are on this Network anymore besides SpongeBob? The only shows I see on the schedule nowadays are Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Thundermans, Paradise Run, and Henry Danger. Nickelodeon kinda feels dead to me now, given all the decisions they make. They'd rather look on YouTube for shows to pick up, they believed that Fanboy and Chumchum had more potential than Adventure Time, don't get me started on Sanjay and Craig, and they screw over their good shows when they notice it's not attracting the target audience they want. It seems like their living on Sponge Support and trying to stretch the Fairly Oddparents as long as they can

But it is at least good that they're bringing back Hey Arnold.

Well, those are all my thoughts. What about you?

Edited by NegiSpongie

These days I feel like Nickelodeon gets too much hate than they deserve, but then again, I do have problems with the company/network's business decisions.

What's good about them to me is that, these days, the company is creator-friendly. What's bad is that they're intellectual-property-unfriendly, unless you're SpongeBob.

I only watch the network for SpongeBob nowadays. But even if we still have Breadwinners, Sanjay & Craig, and Nick's newer live-action shows to go around with, I can't say that I'll quit watching Nick.

Nickelodeon is kind of a sinking ship but it does have a few gems like Harvey Beaks and the recent Spongebob episodes.

They really need a change of management. I do think within the next 5 years if things don't get better you'll see Viacom selling off Nick.

It sucks now

the 90s were better than what we get now because the 90s didn't suck as much

SpongeBob needs to stop winning favorite cartoon

SpongeBob marathons repeat 24/7

I hate newer SpongeBob

Everything that isn't SpongeBob or some awful sitcom gets cancelled after 3 seasons at most

Ew shows like Breadwinners

BRING BACK THE GODDAMN 90S STUFF ALREADY

The nick@nite and nickjr on nick blocks take up more than half of their airtime (I am being legitimately serious, nick@nite runs for like 9-10 hours usually, and nickjr tends to run 5.5 hours, good thing those aren't on the weekends)

I think I covered everything typical in one post, but yeah the last point I made (SERIOUS NITPICK) I feel shows enough to where it's a point that where the original programming gets less than half of a day to show and where they tend to air the hell out of SpongeBob, it really does say a lot about the current situation. I know I'm younger so has it always been like that with N@N and Nickjr (Because it's own channel isn't on every TV?????) or is that just a newer thing?

Nick, sometimes made us come together and share how bad the Company policies are.

trust me, it's so bad  that on the weekend of the KCA's me and my friends were on skype during this year's KCA's and listened to some Big Sean music while Silento preformed.

but it's good nick sometimes pays homage to the 90's, yknow, when they were the KING of Kid's Shows and CN was Failing.

now it's Vice Versa nowadays.

4 hours ago, Trophy said:

(I am being legitimately serious, nick@nite runs for like 9-10 hours usually)

You're saying this like it airs during the day and not during, you know, the night.

2 hours ago, iiEDMWolf said:

but it's good nick sometimes pays homage to the 90's, yknow, when they were the KING of Kid's Shows and CN was Failing.

Yeah, CN sure was failing with all those shows that never went on to be anything special, like Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Ed Edd n' Eddy.

• Like 5

Huh funny, me and a friend of mine were talking about Nick last night and we came to the conclusion that the reason channels like CN and Disney XD are doing so much better than Nick nowadays is due to those guys' programming mostly consisting of shows that appeal to many people of different ages, interests, etc. unlike most of Nickelodeon's programming. With the exception of more recent SB, TMNT, and Harvey Beaks, they have nothing that's worth while in their current line-up. It's a damn shame, really.

5 hours ago, Trophy said:

The nick@nite and nickjr on nick blocks take up more than half of their airtime (I am being legitimately serious, nick@nite runs for like 9-10 hours usually, and nickjr tends to run 5.5 hours, good thing those aren't on the weekends)

I think I covered everything typical in one post, but yeah the last point I made (SERIOUS NITPICK) I feel shows enough to where it's a point that where the original programming gets less than half of a day to show and where they tend to air the hell out of SpongeBob, it really does say a lot about the current situation. I know I'm younger so has it always been like that with N@N and Nickjr (Because it's own channel isn't on every TV?????) or is that just a newer thing?

To be fair, Nick Jr usually runs when and for how long it does because most older kids are in school at that time, and Nick@Nite airs all night since the kids are in bed. Besides, I don't think every TV has the Nick Jr. channel.

Edited by Elle Woods

I think Nick could benefit from a new nightly block, something like adult swim or even what Teennick has going on with The Splat, I guess would be a better example. Like, something that'll attract the now grown up 90s kid crowd, hell, they could even call it All Growed Up. Throw in some 90s reruns here and there but also churn out some original series of its own, get some new blood out there, some creators/animators who grew up on some of that 90s stuff etc. Just a pipe dream thought I had in my head for like five years now.

2 hours ago, iiEDMWolf said:

now it's Vice Versa nowadays.

This is one thing that kinda pisses me off. People never seem to acknowledge Cartoon Network in the '90s. They usually call Nickelodeon and Disney (not counting Saturday morning blocks) the kings/queens/whatevers of '90s cartoons. Maybe it's because Cartoon Network's original series didn't come until late '90s/early 2000s while the Nick and Disney originals came earlier? Maybe it's because Nick and Disney had more original shows than Cartoon Network did? Maybe it's Maybelline? Besides the Cartoon Cartoons (except Mike Lu and Og which I never really cared for) and Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerry/Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network had some watchable shows in the '90s. Space Ghost Coast to Coast, anyone? There were some other non-CN originals that were well-received on the channel too. 2 Stupid Dogs/'90s Secret Squirrel, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, Pink Panther, Garfield and Friends, GODDAMN Batman: The Animated Series, SWAT Kats, The Pirates of Dark Water, maybe ThunderCats and Captain Planet, I could go on and on. (Also, there were some other shows like Batman Beyond, Superman: TAS, and both Justice League shows, but they didn't air on CN until the early 2000s and I'm only counting '90s shows here.) Point is: Even if '90s CN wasn't as memorable as Nick and Disney were, it still had some well-received shows and it certainly did not fail.

Alright, I'm getting off-topic here, so I should probably talk about Nick now.

Nick, while it is still better than Disney Channel, is still in a rut and needs to make some important changes.

• Tone down on the live-action sitcoms. We don't need a billion Dan Schneider shows on the channel. If I wanted to see any Schneider shows, I'd watch Drake & Josh, The Amanda Show, and Season 1 iCarly on Teen Nick. Plus, while he didn't really create the shows as much as worked on them in general, All That and Kenan & Kel on The Splat/NReboot. Okay, maybe he wasn't involved with some of the other Nick sitcoms that still air today, but please tone down on the live-action shows in general. Also, no going on the internet for inspiration. The last thing we need is another Fred: The Show and no one wants another Fred: The Show.
  • Air less original cartoons that pander to kids only. I do understand that this is a kids network, but that doesn't mean you have to make shows with tons of fart jokes. I do like Sanjay and Craig's animation, but I cannot stand hearing butt and fart jokes all of the time. Yes, I know shows like Ren and Stimpy do this sometimes, but at least shows like that are more grounded and don't force those jokes down our throats. There was, like, only one episode revolving around Stimpy's fart becoming sentient and Stimpy treating it like a son, but that's tame to Sanjay becoming pregnant with a fart. Air cartoons like Harvey Beaks and less shows like Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners..
  • PLEASE mercy kill The Fairly Oddparents. Yes, I know that the hate for that show is getting tiring and all, but that doesn't mean that I like the show. The more that show goes on, the more the humor and plots get worse. Now don't get me wrong, Poof is an okay character and Season 6 isn't really bad, but it honestly should've ended after Wishology. By Season 7, the humor started becoming less enjoyable and some of the episodes have big plot-holes in them (such as Crocker powering Fairy World because of his belief in fairies). By Season 9 when Sparky was introduced, the humor started becoming unbearable and when Season 10 began, I have no idea what it became. Not only did they introduce a Mary Sue character into the show, but they changed the memorable theme song to make it about Chloe too. At this point, this was the final nail in the coffin for Fairly Oddparents. There is no point of redemption for this show anymore. There is no point in watching it anymore, even out of curiosity. FOP needs to die ASAP.
  • While it still is one of the tolerable shows on the network at the moment, cut down on the over-saturation of SpongeBob. Yes, it's your most popular cartoon on the network, but give some of your other shows like Harvey Beaks a chance to rerun too. I'd also suggest some reruns of '90s shows too, but most of them already air on The Splat so I don't think that would be necessary. Maybe some of the 2000s shows like Catscratch that don't already rerun on Nicktoons Network. 

Those are all my thoughts on the network. Agree? Disagree?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Elle Woods said:

To be fair, Nick Jr usually runs when and for how long it does because most older kids are in school at that time, and Nick@Nite airs all night since the kids are in bed. Besides, I don't think every TV has the Nick Jr. channel.

It's just that plus the cluster of SpongeBob marathons pretty much dooms any chance of reruns for other shows. :/

Nick has SpongeBob, so for that they're still worthwhile of my time. I also really like Pig Goat Banana Cricket. The rest of the channel is, well...there's nothing I can say that hasn't been said already.

On 3/16/2016 at 2:11 PM, Fred Rechid said:

This is one thing that kinda pisses me off. People never seem to acknowledge Cartoon Network in the '90s. They usually call Nickelodeon and Disney (not counting Saturday morning blocks) the kings/queens/whatevers of '90s cartoons. Maybe it's because Cartoon Network's original series didn't come until late '90s/early 2000s while the Nick and Disney originals came earlier? Maybe it's because Nick and Disney had more original shows than Cartoon Network did? Maybe it's Maybelline? Besides the Cartoon Cartoons (except Mike Lu and Og which I never really cared for) and Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerry/Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network had some watchable shows in the '90s. Space Ghost Coast to Coast, anyone? There were some other non-CN originals that were well-received on the channel too. 2 Stupid Dogs/'90s Secret Squirrel, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, Pink Panther, Garfield and Friends, GODDAMN Batman: The Animated Series, SWAT Kats, The Pirates of Dark Water, maybe ThunderCats and Captain Planet, I could go on and on. (Also, there were some other shows like Batman Beyond, Superman: TAS, and both Justice League shows, but they didn't air on CN until the early 2000s and I'm only counting '90s shows here.) Point is: Even if '90s CN wasn't as memorable as Nick and Disney were, it still had some well-received shows and it certainly did not fail.

Alright, I'm getting off-topic here, so I should probably talk about Nick now.

Nick, while it is still better than Disney Channel, is still in a rut and needs to make some important changes.

• Tone down on the live-action sitcoms. We don't need a billion Dan Schneider shows on the channel. If I wanted to see any Schneider shows, I'd watch Drake & Josh, The Amanda Show, and Season 1 iCarly on Teen Nick. Plus, while he didn't really create the shows as much as worked on them in general, All That and Kenan & Kel on The Splat/NReboot. Okay, maybe he wasn't involved with some of the other Nick sitcoms that still air today, but please tone down on the live-action shows in general. Also, no going on the internet for inspiration. The last thing we need is another Fred: The Show and no one wants another Fred: The Show.
  • Air less original cartoons that pander to kids only. I do understand that this is a kids network, but that doesn't mean you have to make shows with tons of fart jokes. I do like Sanjay and Craig's animation, but I cannot stand hearing butt and fart jokes all of the time. Yes, I know shows like Ren and Stimpy do this sometimes, but at least shows like that are more grounded and don't force those jokes down our throats. There was, like, only one episode revolving around Stimpy's fart becoming sentient and Stimpy treating it like a son, but that's tame to Sanjay becoming pregnant with a fart. Air cartoons like Harvey Beaks and less shows like Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners..
  • PLEASE mercy kill The Fairly Oddparents. Yes, I know that the hate for that show is getting tiring and all, but that doesn't mean that I like the show. The more that show goes on, the more the humor and plots get worse. Now don't get me wrong, Poof is an okay character and Season 6 isn't really bad, but it honestly should've ended after Wishology. By Season 7, the humor started becoming less enjoyable and some of the episodes have big plot-holes in them (such as Crocker powering Fairy World because of his belief in fairies). By Season 9 when Sparky was introduced, the humor started becoming unbearable and when Season 10 began, I have no idea what it became. Not only did they introduce a Mary Sue character into the show, but they changed the memorable theme song to make it about Chloe too. At this point, this was the final nail in the coffin for Fairly Oddparents. There is no point of redemption for this show anymore. There is no point in watching it anymore, even out of curiosity. FOP needs to die ASAP.
  • While it still is one of the tolerable shows on the network at the moment, cut down on the over-saturation of SpongeBob. Yes, it's your most popular cartoon on the network, but give some of your other shows like Harvey Beaks a chance to rerun too. I'd also suggest some reruns of '90s shows too, but most of them already air on The Splat so I don't think that would be necessary. Maybe some of the 2000s shows like Catscratch that don't already rerun on Nicktoons Network. 

Those are all my thoughts on the network. Agree? Disagree?

Oh yeah, I thought of one more thing I forgot to discuss in this rant. It has more to do with the Nicktoons channel than the main channel itself, but it's still based off the main channel so I think it counts.

Nicktoons, PLEASE, for the love of God, stop airing your live-action shitcoms on your channel. I think the name of your channel is "Nicktoons", not "Nicktoons Plus Some Other Live-Action Shows That Still Air On Our Channel". It's just as bad as Boomerang airing some of their newer (even current) shows from Cartoon Network. It just doesn't belong there. They can air those shows all they want on Nickelodeon, but PLEASE leave Nicktoons out of this.