• Advertisement

The Weeknd

101 Dalmatian Street

Feels like a good enough time to make a thread for the pineapple headed singer, with his growing popularity, also because I feel like expressing my thoughts on his music.

While I think he's far from the "next Michael Jackson," I really do like him and he's becoming a favorite for me after listening to songs from his most recent album and his three mixtapes. "Montreal," "Wicked Games," "Can't Feel My Face," and "Shameless" are by far some of my favorite tracks.

I've been thinking about this recently and if I ever considered myself a fan.  I definitely am not one now.  It's primarily because of his voice which I just can't stand at times because it's so high at times that makes me respect Adam Levine's abnormal voice a lot more.  The Weeknd's capable of finding songs that actually support his voice quite well, but more often than not, his songs come off as pretentious as fuck to the point that I really don't like him or his singing.

Sad thing is his first album Kiss Land is pretty ok.  Songs from said previous album like Wanderlust, Live For, and Belong To the World are actually really good.  I definitely understood the hype for the guy and why he had buzz growing to the explosion that is his career right now.

That being said, Beauty Behind the Madness is a sellout album if I've ever heard one.  Can't Feel My Face, In The Night, and Tell Your Friends are pretty great.  Love the production on both.  His duet with Lana is good too.  But man, everything else is just a mixed bag to absolute shit.  We get tons of dark moody sex jams like Often that make me want to punch the guy straight in the face.  We get that wasted production broody piece of shit The Hills that is just terrible (don't kill me Nugs).  We get that Earned It song that I've grown to appreciate the production for, but hate The Weeknd's singing more and more about how the girl earned his genitals.   I just think that there are far better R&B stars out there than this guy.

He definitely owes his huge roll he's on to Drake btw.  Just wish Drake could back better talent.

I like him. His production and beat choices are great. His subject matter is a little repetitive, a little depressing, and entirely strange, but hey, it sounds good. And to be fair, those first three mixtapes he put out deal with the concept of emotionless sex and purely physical love in a deep affecting way. Those first three mixtapes (which are all compiled into Trilogy, a classic piece of work everyone should check out) are honestly up there with Channel Orange as some of the best Neo-R&B released this side of the decade. Regardless of the lyrics, dude jus has a nice aesthetic. 

That album, Kissland, though. Garb, fam. Barely even worth it for the singles. Not a bad aesthetic transfer, just not a great album overall. Regardless though, he still had stayin power. If a song says "(feat. The Weeknd)", the man will turn it into his song. He'll turn the actual artist on a song into a featured guest. Dude is that powerful. 

Then he did features for two years, dropped some impressive singles, then dropped Earned It and sold the fuck out.   

BBTM isn't a bad album by any stretch of the imagination. It's just not a Weeknd album. It's a dark pop album with some ballads and some really questionable and different themes for a pop album ("fuck love, that shit is pointless"). Just wish he had manifested that Trillgy sound into a real album. Would've been great.

I Can't Feel My Face is the definition of a sellout song, even with the thinly veiled metaphor throughout (although him tricking America into making a song about cocaine go number one on the charts is kinda commendable). I don't not like it, but man, I wish he just stick with what made him great instead if giving us glimpses of it on a pop project ("goooo tell your friends about it").

love the name and hair though. Great characteristics. Very iconic. I can dig his voice and sound too. 

Just wanted to say that I still stand by what I've said, but I'm adding an extent to it: I've become a bigger fan overtime. In fact, The Weeknd is one of my favorite current pop/R&B singers right now.

Also, second album is coming out and I'm loving what I've heard so far, especially "False Alarm."

Edited by Steel Sponge

The Weeknd lit asf honestly. I've come around on BBTM and while it's still a sellout album I appreciate it's unwillingness to totally sell out. Also:

On 10/5/2015 at 3:33 PM, Clappy said:

We get that wasted production broody piece of shit The Hills that is just terrible (don't kill me Nugs). 

YOU'RE STILL WRONG BOB

• Like 1

I'm really starting to dig the Weeknd's music now. I loved Beauty Behind the Madness and I'm looking forward to his upcoming album. Currently going through the older songs in his catalog as well...damn this guy is talented.

3 hours ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

YOU'RE STILL WRONG BOB

Sorry man.  Even though I've come around on The Weeknd a lot after not being able to get away from the guy in 2015, I still think Beauty Behind the Madness is an underwhelming album and I still can't stand either The Hills or Earned It.

That being said, I emphasize that I take back what I said about The Weeknd becoming one of the biggest stars in music.  I still like his older stuff before selling out.  Even after selling out, BBTM still has some really good songs on it that remind me why I liked the guy before I got tired of him in 2015.  I respect the fact that he isn't changing his sound to get mainstream attention.  And I sure as hell love the two songs that he has out right now in anticipation for his new album.

Yeah, Abel is pretty good.  Shut up Clappy of a year ago.