• Advertisement

Halibooty, Wumbooty, Clappy, and Katniss rank all of the Year-End Charts by Position! (Starting with the #1s)

Sweat

No offense dude, but I feel like giving your thoughts would be much more beneficial if you listened to all the songs instead of just saying "Never heard" to like half of the list.

Well I'll listen then

Spoiler

#10: Boring.

#6: Read 10

#5: What the two above me said

#4: Ok, this is annoyance personified.

well, time to stop sitting on my ass

10 BEST YEAR-END CHART TOPPERS EVER

Spoiler

10. WINGS - SILLY LOVE SONGS [1976]

Halibut: When people say that Wings sucks and all, I have to disagree. Sure, they're not Beatles-tier, but they're still pretty good. I don't have much to say about this one, it's just nice and catchy.
Wumbo: 
I'm not the biggest fan of this song (there are other Wings songs I enjoy more) but I'll accept this being in the Top 10. It's kitsch, but it's Paul McCartney kitsch, which is acceptable to me. What's wrong with thaaaaat...

Katniss: I gotta admit that this song didn’t come close to making my top 10, but I can still dig it. It’s fairly charming. What’s wrong with wanting to write some silly love songs, indeed?

Clappy: This is Top 5 best Wings to be honest.  Which I find Wings to be an incredibly underrated group.  Sure it's silly, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having silly love songs.  And that's the point.  By making this a silly love song as well.  It's the perfect amount of cheese and Paulie just pulls it off so well that I adored this far more than both Beatles songs that were #1 year end hits...and speaking of which...

Spoiler

9. THE BEATLES - HEY JUDE [1968]

Halibut: Look, I don't care what anyone says, boy band-era Beatles was not that great. Sure, it did have some great songs like I Wanna Hold Your Hand, the other Beatles year-end chart topper, but overall, it was forgettable. In 1968, you expect psychadelic experimental Beatles, but then they released this single. It's a great song, it came pretty close to making my person top 10, but it just didn't cut it. I don't know what to say considering this is one of the most beloved songs ever, all I have to say is maaaaybe they could've shorted the 'na na na's.
Wumbo: The better of the two Beatles songs that topped year-end, this is a classic that deserves to be regarded as so. It didn't make my Top 10 list, but rest assured it was very close.

Katniss: I love the heck out of Hey Jude, one of my favorites from the Beatles’ White Album. Does it get repetitive? Yeah, but I can still enjoy it. I think it’s a simply beautiful composition. The fact that Paul McCartney originally wrote it for John Lennon’s son, Julian, just ups the heartwarming factor of it in my eyes. As for the instrumentation, it’s really solid and I can dig the usage of tambourine.

Clappy: While I think I Want To Hold Your Hand is the better of the two Beatles #1 year toppers, Hey Jude is still a great song in it's own merits.  Only problem I have is the Na Na Na Na's go on one minute longer than they should, but even then, this manages to pull it off so well that it's not that big of a complaint.  It didn't make my personal Top 10, but it was in my Top 20 for sure.  Have zero problems with this being on here.

Spoiler

8. PRINCE - WHEN DOVES CRY [1984]

Halibut: I apologize for the bait-and-switch, but Prince is an asshole, and he deletes every single trace of this song from YouTube. You wish I was kidding. I do not know what I can say about this song, the production is great despite being bare-bones, and the lyrics are very respectable. That's kind of it. Imma hand it off to everyone else now.

Wumbo: No matter what you think of Prince as a person, you can't deny the true talent he possesses. It's evident in all of his songs, and thankfully one of them was big enough to top the year-end chart. I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in the 80's that sounded like Prince. Truly an individual at his craft.

Katniss: Prince is a musical genius and When Doves Cry no exception. It’s such a jam. Just listen to those beautiful synths, for one thing. Then take a closer look at the lyrics. This was a truly groundbreaking song of its time and is still pretty good to this day.

Clappy: Prince was definitely an individual who gets often over looked because of how big of a strangle hold Michael Jackson had mastering his craft.  But Michael didn't have a year end #1 while Prince did so point Prince.  I briefly went over how much I adore Prince in my Billboard review thread, so I'll just emphasize how awesome When Doves Cry is.  It's such a beautifully crafted song and Prince's vocals are top notch here.  While my personal favorite song of his is a tie between Sign o the Times and 1999, this is definitely in his Top 5.

Spoiler

7. THE POLICE - EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE [1983]

Halibut: By now, I think you guys know that this song is creepy as all Hell. That being said, The Police are awesome, and the weird lyrics mix well with the dark instrumentation of the song. Message in a Bottle is the GOAT Police song, but this is up there.

Wumbo: I've always loved The Police, and "Every Breath You Take" is definitely a classic in their catalog and a good reminder of what makes the band so great. They manage to take creepy subject matter and turn it into digestible pop, while retaining the creepiness. Tough feat, honestly!

Katniss: Though it’s not my favorite Police song (that honor would go to MESSAGE IN A BOOOOTTLE YEAH), I do quite enjoy this song. It sounds like a beautiful tune--until you listen close and find out it’s about a crazy stalker. Yeaaaah. It’s a testament to The Police’s talent that this doesn’t become an uncomfortable and unlistenable number.

Clappy: ...I absolutely adore this song.  This was my number one for how many reasons.  Primarily due to how they were able to turn a song that should not work in terms of subject material and turning it into such a beautiful, yet still creepy song.  No artist has ever been able to pull off this subject matter as well as The Police was able to which just goes to show how amazing of a group these guys actually are.

Spoiler

6. GOTYE FEAT. KIMBRA - SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW [2012]

Halibut: As far as I'm concerned, 2012 is the best and most important year for pop music in the past decade. I don't think a single person here could possibly disagree. There were so many songs that didn't seem like they belonged there at all, and while maybe I didn't like all of it, I respected all of it for sure. Even the stuff that belonged there just seemed more timeless and respectable. In summary, I don't think a single song fit better as the top song of 2012 than this one. This song is incredible. Sure, the instrumentation, especially in the beginning, is a tiny bit lacking, but that's what makes it so great. It's just so opposite to what you'd hear the year before. Plus, the subject matter and the lyrics are definitely worth tons of admiration, with Gotye talking about how Kimbra is a bitch and all, and then Kimbra rebutts and blasts his ass. It's all just great. Let me tell you too, I listened to this album this was from, Making Mirrors, and this song wouldn't even make my top 3 songs off of that album. I highly recommend his other work to you guys, he is amazing.

Wumbo: With the way things are going, it looks like 2012 will be the only year this decade where Billboard will go down in history. And with an eccentric, wildly un-pop song like this topping the charts, it's easy to see why. Gotye didn't embrace pop; pop embraced Gotye. For whatever reason, this song became a hit, and I love every second of it and every decision it makes.

Katniss: I am so glad that this became a hit, even though Gotye hasn’t been able to replicate this level of success. It seemed like a breath of fresh air when this song made it onto the charts. Kimbra’s guest vocals are lovely and her harmonizing with Gotye at the end is my favorite part of the entire song.

Clappy: Only song from the 2000s to make it onto the overall best list.  Get your block button ready homestuck.  What makes this song go down in the history book as one of the best of it's time period is because of how un-pop this actually is.  Gotye just doesn't deserve to belong in the modern pop scene but we need far more artists like Gotye to make pop music actually interesting.  It's just a massive breath of fresh air that only worked because of the artists involved.  While it's a shame that everyone involved will be stuck to one hit wonderdom, they deserve far better because of what this song ended up achieving.

Spoiler

5. KIM CARNES - BETTE DAVIS EYES [1981]

Halibut: Despite a few flops like fucking Olivia Newton-John, the early 80s is gonna go down in history as one of the best few years in pop music history. Music was changing in a way that really was never seen before, New Wave was smashing the country, and incredible songs like this managed to get extremely successful. This song is too great for words. A first-time listener may be a bit put off by Kim's raspy vocals, but once it clicks in you, you'll love this song to pieces. The production is incredible, the music video despite being weird is fucking awesome and I don't think anyone can resist a "she's dangerous" song. This song needs much more recignition than it already gets for being an all-time great new wave hit.

Wumbo: The production on this song is stellar. It's really got that early eighties, almost Cars-like vibe with the hand claps and the synths. Topping it all off is Kim's voice, which is the best work I've heard from her. Every minute of this song gives me chills.

Katniss: Unique voices can either irritate or captivate us. Fortunately, Kim Carnes does the latter on Bette Davis Eyes. I also think that the usage of clapping was a nice touch. To sum it up, this is a really sweet 80s tune.

Clappy: So let me just put it this way.  This was my number ten.  There are so many elements of this song I should ABSOLUTELY HATE.  For example, I've never been a fan of Kim Carnes voice.  Sometimes raspy voices work on females, but I've always had a problem with it when it comes to Kim Carnes.  But somehow, it works here.  EVERYTHING is owed to the production which might be some of the best production I've heard from an 80s pop song.  It's that damn good.  It does such a good job hiding Kim Carnes weaknesses and meshes well with her vocals to make such a haunting song.  Best song of her career.

Spoiler

4. COOLIO FEAT. L.V. - GANGSTA'S PARADISE [1995]

Halibut: What a bombastic, cheesy song. It's fucking amazing. Coolio punches the rhymes in your face in the best way possible, L.V.'s voice is just too amazing for words, and the production is just huge. Some of the most stellar production in any rap song. I just have no words, this song is amazing. I regret not putting it higher on my personal top 10.

Wumbo: The rap anthem to end all rap anthems, Coolio's song came at a time where rap was making its big rise into pop crossover and reminded us all why we started loving the genre. Complete with some stellar vocal work from L.V., this song is a masterpiece in gangsta rap with its chilling tone and poignant message.

Katniss: This is probably one of my favorite rap songs ever. The instrumentation feels epic, L.V.’s singing on the hook is great, and the lyrics are hard-hitting. I hate to end this review with a terrible pun, but this fine song is coolio to me.

Clappy: One of the best rap songs of all time.  Need I say more?  It came at the perfect time period and accompanied the perfect movie soundtrack (Dangerous Minds, one of Michelle Pfeiffer's best movies) to just make rap perfection.  The lyrics are dangerously good and the production just makes this song even more epic.  While the mid 1990s were confusing times when it came to number one hits, there was no confusion here.  Just rap perfection.

Spoiler

3. BLONDIE - CALL ME [1980]

Halibut: CALL ME!!! This song, man. I wonder what I can say about it that can tone down how amazing it is. Blondie is such an incredible and versatile band, and anyone who dislikes them may as well dislike me. That shouting of the title of the song just punches you in the heart, and you just fall in love. Plus, the guitar riff is impossible to pull out of your brain. What a fucking great song to say 'hello' the 80s.

Wumbo: Still a perfect pop hit. Blondie is amazing, this song is amazing, amazing points all around.

Katniss: What a banger of a top song to ring in the 80s decade with, am I right? Debbie Harry definitely brings it with her vocals. This song feels like a wild drive in a car and I’m happy to be along for the ride.

Clappy: I don't think I loved this nearly as much as my other cohorts, but I'll be damned if this wasn't a great song.  This is how I love my 80s pop through and through.  Amazing vocals, damn good production, and just a blast.

Spoiler

2. SIMON AND GARFUNKEL - BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER [1970]

Halibut: From an amazing way to start off the 80s to an amazing way to start off the 70s. I'm still listening to this once I post this. I've listened to this song like literally a 100 times now in the past couple of weeks, and I am not even CLOSE to sick of it. This song is just too fucking beautiful, man. The vocals are stellar, and the instrumentation with it makes you feel larger than life. One of my favorite songs ever, and I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago.

Wumbo: Simon and Garfunkel are revered as some of the best in the biz, and with beautiful compositions like these it's easy to see why. The song really picks up in the second half, but the whole thing is composed beautifully.

Katniss: Another beautiful number from Simon and Garfunkel. There’s a wonderful gospel and soft rock vibe to the whole thing. Near the end, there’s some great buildup and it ends on a great note. Thanks to this duo for making some sweet music.

Clappy: My favorite Simon and Garfunkel song.  Just everything about it is captivating.  Beautiful production, great lyrics, and just wonderful vocal accompaniment.  This song is just too perfect for words at times and I flip flopped this and Silly Songs often while composing my list.  Only reason I ended up giving Silly Love Songs the 2 spot is due to just slightly better pacing, but that holds nothing against Bridge which is just a fantastic song.

Spoiler

1. THE KNACK - MY SHARONA [1979]

Halibut: I am saying this with no hyperbole, this is probably one of the most perfect songs ever. This song ended off the 70s with grace, and in the best way possible. If anything, this song is almost an 80s song. The power pop feel really makes it feel like a perfect transition from the 70s to the 80s. Everything about this song is great, the drums kicking in get you excited, the guitar solos captivate you, and the lyrics make you yearn for jailbait... fuck it, people don't even care about the lyrics. Just pretend they don't mean what they mean and this song is one of the most amazing songs of all time.

Wumbo: I could write a novel about how much I love this song, but i'll just leave you with a few points. One, the rhyme scheme is fantastic. Two, the tone of this song and its fast-driven pace is consistently a delight. Three, the solos are stellar. Four, "My Sharona" is definitely the deserving numero uno and I'm happy it's here.

Katniss: This song rocks, plain and simple. It’s fast and fun with some really solid production. It might not be my personal number one, but it totally deserves to top our overall list. If Blondie’s Call Me was a great way to ring in the 80s, this was a perfect song to kiss the 70s goodbye.

Clappy: God did I love my own personal Top 4 so much.  This was my number 4 but I have absolutely no problem with this being the overall number one.  The lyrical composition in this is just unbelievably great.  Like The Knack should teach a class on how to write lyrics this damn great.  Everything else about is so good to.  Kat worded it best to be honest that this is a huge high note to close out probably the best decade of pop music.  My my my my my...I mean OUR number one.

• Like 2

Canada's charts wouldn't be terribly different from the United States, especially dealing with number ones. I don't even think there's a good record of our chart Billboard-wise until late 2000s. Maybe RPM's got something but that's all I can think of.