Best Worst/Singers

CyanideFishbone

Title

Best:

Chino Moreno (Deftones)

Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

Cedric Bixler (At-The Drive In)

Layne Staley (Alice In Chains, probably best of all time)

Michael Stipe (R.E.M)

Worst:

Eric Azure (Design The Skyline)

Kid Rock

Hayley Williams (Paramore, flame shield up)

Pierre Bouvier (Simple Plan, obvious one)

Josh Todd (Buckcherry)

Chad Kroeger (Nickelback)

Fuck it. Just basically enter most modern rock singers

Okay, I'd made a point towards Butters for when he says "every" when he really means "any," but seriously, we can't let this thread go to waste just by you guys harping on him.

I'll make a list of my best/worst singers soon, since I'm not in the mood right now...

Okay, I'll give some of my favorite singers:

-Florence Welch from Florence and the Machine

-Lana del Rey

-Ellie Goulding

-Lorde

-Brandon Flowers from The Killers

-Ariana Grande (even if she does get a bit too pitchy sometimes)

Okay, I'd made a point towards Butters for when he says "every" when he really means "any," but seriously, we can't let this thread go to waste just by you guys harping on him.

I agree with Steel about this, despite me debating with Butters in the past.  But I just want to point out one quick detail that's not really me "harping on him" persay, but just like I want to know his opinion when he says:

Worst:

Fuck it. Just basically enter every single modern rock singer

Listen to this and tell me that Florence Welch's voice isn't like being struck by a million angels.

I agree with Steel about this, despite me debating with Butters in the past.  But I just want to point out one quick detail that's not really me "harping on him" persay, but just like I want to know his opinion when he says:

Listen to this and tell me that Florence Welch's voice isn't like being struck by a million angels.

Florence and The Machine isn't modern rock first off, and I never really cared for them, but i'm sure they're good or decent. 

Florence and The Machine isn't modern rock first off, and I never really cared for them, but i'm sure they're good or decent. 

Well not your definition of modern rock, but they are classified as the following genres:

Indie rock

Indie pop

Art rock

Neo soul

Sounds modern enough to me especially with your past comments about the genre. :P

I mean sure. As I said, I never really cared for them, but I'm sure they're good.

Well not your definition of modern rock, but they are classified as the following genres:

Indie rock

Indie pop

Art rock

Neo soul

Sounds modern enough to me especially with your past comments about the genre. :P

(Sorry I broke your quote Clappy it was an accident)

Modern rock in my definition is meant for mainstream music specifically. Something good the radio stations can shove down your throats for the next year or so. Bands like Nickelback, Staind, Buckcherry, Theory Of A Deadman, etc. Fortunantly, many modern rock bands haven't had a hit in a while or just faded into obscurity, but they were pretty much as equally as bad. 

Florence and The Machine isn't modern rock in my opinion. But that's just me

It was only after half a hour, but NOW I'm in the mood to share my best and worst singers:

Best (Not in any order):

Freddie Mercury

Matt Bellamy (Muse)

Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

Mariah Carey

Florence Welch (Florence and the Machine)

Amy Lee (Evanescence; she comes from a band that is defined as "post-grunge," but I gotta admit to loving her voice)

Andre 3000 (counting that he's also a singer...)

Kelly Clarkson

Janelle Monae

Damon Albarn

Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy)

Marvin Gaye

Stevie Wonder

Steve Perry

Michael Jackson

Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys)

John Lennon

Ariana Grande (in some areas)

Sia

Worst (At the top of my head, and in no order):

Chad Kroeger (Nickelback)

Josh Todd (Buckcherry, not just because of his singing I've heard in "Sorry...")

Austin Winkler (Hinder)

Adam Levine

Michael Bolton

Peter Cetera (Chicago)

Jason Derulo

Akon

Move to Trash? I see this being a big argument because I made a dumb mistake

Nah, this can keep going as long as no other arguments are being made.

Move to Trash? I see this being a big argument because I made a dumb mistake

Lol I didn't consider that an argument.  I just wanted to know what your thoughts were on Florence. :P

Best (Not in any order):

Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy)

Now this. This right here I have to question.  I like Fall Out Boy (although their stuff post-hiatus has been a mix bag), but Patrick Stump.  Best singer?  Really?  Even on some of their good stuff his voice comes off as whiny as Adam Levine's voice ever will, which by no means do I think Adam Levine is a bad singer either despite how unusually high it is.  Levine's voice works best when utilized properly too.

Now this.  This right here I have to question.  I like Fall Out Boy (although their stuff post-hiatus has been a mix bag), but Patrick Stump.  Best singer?  Really?  Even on some of their good stuff his voice comes off as whiny as Adam Levine's voice ever will, which by no means do I think Adam Levine is a bad singer either despite how unusually high it is.  Levine's voice works best when utilized properly too.

To be fair, I wouldn't consider Patrick Stump one of the best singers all-time. To be more fair, even though he's currently in my best singers list, I'd pit him dead last with Ariana if I were to rank the singers I've listed. I come to enjoy Patrick Stump's voice because I hear some sort of diversity in it. His voice sounds like something I wouldn't recognize, it feels kinda charming for me. I can't really say that his falsetto delivers all the time or gets into the right tone all the time (mostly since I feel he's been heavily relying on it nowadays), but strangely, I can never see myself hating/utterly despising his vocal range. I think it's rather pleasant enough for me to tolerate and yet I can understand why some people can't stand the guy's voice. Back on subject to why I really like Patrick's voice, I also like it for when he lowers his pitch, I feel he can do that so very well. Then there is when he does the long notes, second of all. Additionally, because I happen to like the guy's voice so much doesn't mean I do not have a limit when it comes to it, though. There are times where I don't want to listen to some FOB songs for his voice, notably "Centuries," "Alone Together," and to a lesser extent, "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race." (Strange, because I've gotten addicted to it at first, but now my tolerance for the song has been slightly shortening out)

In Adam Levine's case, I don't think his voice is god-awful. I have a limit when it comes to it and there are times where I can tolerate his voice and feel that he's doing his falsetto right. (his guest spots in "Heard 'Em Say," "Stereo Hearts." "Sugar," "Won't Go Home Without You," and "Makes Me Wonder" for his work with Maroon 5) My dislike for his voice stems from that fact that I can't help but hear/think about his high-pitched tone 90% of the time. This was most prominent for me at the time when Maroon 5 started to keep churning out Top 10 hits from my High School days onwards.

In the end, I have a strange preference towards Stump and distaste towards Levine, if you see what I mean.